email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Book Competition

Author Topic: Book Competition
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Novel Writing Comp.

Ben, Wonderstarr, Scrawny, Dang and others might be interested in the above competiton. I know it's the Daily Fail and everything, but as it's just the price of postage (and printer ink I suppose) it might be worth a punt. So! there you go. Feel free to use this thread to post up any other avenues that laughably optimistic creative types might be tempted to pursue.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee Child is a judge. Must re-write first draft to include short sentences of no more than 8 words. Luagh long and hard for ten minutes. Six four and two fifteen pounds. Drink coffee in take away etc.

I must say that I might go for this - what the heck!

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
66 days (time remaining minus a few days for posting it on the Friday to arrive on the closing date of Monday July 2nd) to rite a novle?

80k / 66 = just over 1200 words per day.

This is apparently Wonderstarr's workrate, but it's about twice mine so I'd have to really get a spurt on or (maybe!) repurpose a load of existing material.

It certainly tempting - so thanks for recommending this, Thorn. I would urge you to submit something of your own which, as you've completed at least one novel, at least gives you something to re-work in the next couple of months.

The best thing to do, of course, would be to win the competition then - at the big party they threw - publicly tear up the cheque for 30k in protest at the Daily Mail's bigoted editorial line.

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
I would urge you to submit something of your own which, as you've completed at least one novel, at least gives you something to re-work in the next couple of months.

Yeah, I was planning to chuck one into the pot, especially as it's kind of a fast moving spare prose, adjective-free story driven thriller type thing which mostly adheres to the kind of style set out in Lee Child's thrillers. Nothing to lose except self-esteem; hope; dignity.

--------------------

ben

A lot of 'serious' authors cut their teeth on writing competitions - can't imagine they were able to be too fussy about only going with ideologically unimpeachable sponsors. Aside from anything else, authors generally have to make ends meet through a variety of degrading (columns in the Evening Standard) or debauched (running 'creative writing' MAs) means so entering a competition hardly scores too badly on the soul-selling scale.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my endless daydreams about being a famous author/popstar/film director etc I have always told myself that I will never, ever accept any stupid awards. Not even the Nobel Prize. The flaw in this plan is that I can never enter competitions for new writers/popstars/film directors, as winning would immediately break my pledge.

It's a shame really as I'd be pretty much a dead cert if I did enter. *sobs at injustice*

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang - you've got self publish written all over you...

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
2 thousand words a day - like an essay a day really, and not even a really good one at that!

I'm going to enter this and then use the prize money if I win to sponsor and african childe, or pay for a polish company to relocate to middle england.

Or put a dent in my debts. either or...

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too sometimes think of writing a story, but I still don't think I've got to a point where I can. Occasionally an idea will excite me, but they're not usually any good, and are often borne out of a single, practical frustration. When I move beyond that point, the idea becomes ridiculous. I'm hoping that twenty years down the line, things will have come together enough to be able to write something worth reading.
ben

I don't know - I'm getting quite excited now. I'd been stuck in a rut with my current project, so going back over what's already written, hacking it down by a third then motoring through to the conclusion might be exactly what the doctor ordered. I tend to make pretty heavy weather of my writing so a tight deadline might just force me to get to the point a bit faster.
ben

What the fuck is up with Daily mail readers 'non-resident in The UK'? They bitch and whinge about a perceived lack of patriotism then fuck off themselves to the Costa del Sol - no doubt to spent the rest of their years crowing about how 'Britain's going to the dogs' while never making any contact with anyone who isn't a puce ex-pat like themselves.

Fucking disgusting lame bastards - fucking revolting shitbag hypocrites.

[ 24.04.2007, 08:59: Message edited by: ben ]

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's fucking tough. I'm on 46,500 words and was planning to do the next 30k in July, then the last 10,000 some time in Autumn. If the deadline was 1 Oct or something, I'd definitely go for it.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I do have other novels "in the drawer" of course... not that I consider them as much cop as my current work.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Nathan Bleak
quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
Although I do have other novels "in the drawer" of course... not that I consider them as much cop as my current work.

It says you can make as many submissions as you like, so it would seem to me that it was worth hurling everything had at the thing. I know what you mean about how finished stuff tends to diminish in comparison to the exciting project you're currently working on, but I think you can get to a point where you can't accurately judge something that's sat with you for a few years, that you've worked on for ages, slogged around agencies and gradually grown disillusioned with. It won't carry all that baggage for someone who's seeing it for the first time.

[ 25.04.2007, 05:29: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided I'm going to have another crack at writing. I'm going to write a schlocky horror novel. Set in London in the Fifties. With monsters. And poison and brass knuckles and motorbikes.

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I wrote the first chapter in my head last night as I couldn't get to sleep - it was really good. Maybe they'll just give me the money if I tell them that?

--------------------

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
I'm going to enter this and then use the prize money if I win to sponsor and african childe

<Joey from Friends> How YOU doin'?</Joey from Friends>

--------------------
supa scrub

Nathan Bleak
Obviously the deadline for that Daily Mail comp is pretty near, and it's a bit late for anyone who hasn't finished anything wrap it up, but this MacMillan New Writing initiative is an ongoing thing aimed at publishing new writers and might be of some interest to some people on here.

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
Well, as you can see from the results it looks like the TMO manuscripts must have gotten lost in the post or something because no-one's on that list. I definitely put the right postage on my envelope, so I'm not sure what happened there. So! There we have it. There's extracts from each of the six finalists, that you can have a read of and have a think about how they're in contest for a substantial prize of 30k and a publishing deal and that these are apparently the six best unpublished writers in the UK. Obviously there may be some temptation to mock the finalists, but each of those entries has been judged by a panel of experts to be better than mine. But I'm fine with it, really. I'll leave you to it

Goes outside, rips shirt off, collapses in gutter screaming in misery.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Max Adams' one is shit. Three cheers for the rampaging junkies who beat him up quite badly.

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
quote:
To add to his troubles, Max split from his partner and ended up broke, homeless and living in a friend's back garden.

I have to say, when I was broke, homeless and single, at least my friends let me live in the house.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The idea came right out of the blue; it was a revelation.' Next stop in his peripatetic life was Beamish, a Northumbrian forest, where he lived in a caravan with his partner and son, Jack.

ew.
wonderstarr
TMO Member
I finished writing my last novel in August so I expect it was too late. Now it can just fail in a longer-term, more drawn-out way, instead of simply not winning a competition.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+