Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 18)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Deep Freeze
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Deep Freeze           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they could also just kill themselves.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the second episode, despite the unenjoyable first episode, just because I thought maybe, just maybe it would be more enjoyable once you got into the characters. Like how the fast show initially confused people, then, went on to be a legitimate comedy catchphrase festival of fun. Easy Cheesy Squeezy Peas etc.

I still found the majority of it to be rubbish. I think the superhero's social awkwardness sketch has possibilities, apart from that nothing.

Still maybe they'll pull through. Probably just need to bum each other off live onstage or something. Push the boundaries a bit more...

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Deep Freeze           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could also kill yourself. "I'm just saying".
Tilde
TMO Member
Their unofficial James Corden Fan Site puts a different sheen on it.
quote:
James Corden and Mat Horne performed live for the Teenage Cancer Trust on Sunday night. Drawing on characters and sketches from their much-maligned, eponymous sketch comedy, the duo wowed audiences and critics alike, bringing “high energy” to a “showbiz miracle.”

Horne & Corden began it’s six-episode run earlier in the month and was quickly slammed hard by critics. Yet the premiere episode set a record for audience on BBC3 and the show is rumored to be green lit for a second series. And a promotion to BBC2, which would mark the fastest-yet transition from the digital station to one of the main broadcast channels.

Their performance at Albert Hall was met with greater success. Bruce Dessau from thisislondon.co.uk writes,

At their best they raised the roof. Corden’s rapidfire rapping (“I’ve always had time for my rhyme”) showed he can rattle off neat lines at will when he has them. His public school oaf Xander also slipped down well as he clambered through the audience.”

Though his critic is measured and mixed (”trading heavily on high energy rather than high quality”), Dessau rated the program 3 out of 5 stars.

Over at The Telegraph, Dominic Cavendish shares more optimism,

…the pair bounded onto the Albert Hall stage with undaunted devil-may-care, acting for all the world like adored messiahs not newborn pariahs, and they were met with undisguised, and very vocal, affection from the crowd. If this was a make-or-break night, they could still count on their fans’ indulgence – but they didn’t need to. They rose to the occasion and delivered the funnies. You could almost hear a collective sigh of relief go up.

Those who trashed their BBC3 sketch-show might have cared to see how some of its characters work in a live context – which is very well indeed.”

For Horne and Corden it no doubt marked a welcome, happy end to what had been a difficult month. Aside from the launch and subsequent critical mauling of their sketch show, the pair also puts behind them the premiere and subsequent critical mauling of their new film, Lesbian Vampire Killers.

Horne and Corden have promised to “disappear” for awhile and let the public catch their breath. Still, we hope they don’t wait too long. If anything, the TCT evening proved that their fans continue to enjoy their work.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps I didn't find Gavin and Stacey a funny bone shaker either.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
I watched a film called 'Looker' that I enjoyed a lot. It was a good one.

-

Note to hollywood: That is what a film poster should look like.

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
If it helps I didn't find Gavin and Stacey a funny bone shaker either.

I watched half of the christmas one, and found it totally boring. Rob Brydon really annoys me. I don't like his 'schtick'.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it with the British and our need for a comedy double-act? I don't know how far back it goes, but... Flanagan & Allen, Flanders & Swann, Morecambe & Wise, Corbett & Barker, Cannon & Ball, Dennis & Gee, Vic & Bob, Collins & Carr, Corden & Horne... and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
What is it with the British and our need for a comedy double-act? I don't know how far back it goes, but... Flanagan & Allen, Flanders & Swann, Morecambe & Wise, Corbett & Barker, Cannon & Ball, Dennis & Gee, Vic & Bob, Collins & Carr, Corden & Horne... and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Nearly all shit, to some degree.

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is it with the British and our need for a comedy double-act?

It surprises me that no one (that I can think of right now) has tried putting together a group like Monty Python since, uh, Monty Python. There's no shortage of excellent comedians around, and a lot of them write their own material, or a fair bit of it anyway, and do good sketches, but they just seem to stick together in pairs and quickly get repetitive.

There was that fairly lame Red Nose Day thing where Mitchell & Webb got together with Armstrong & Miller, but they basically just appeared in each others established sketches. If those two double acts could get together with one of the better stand-ups, plus some kind of wild-card along the lines of Terry Gilliam, then I'd say a whole new world of chuckles would open up. Or The Mighty Boosh people with the Little Britain people or whatever. Wouldn't they incite each other to far greater things? Maybe they just don't like each other.

I did read somewhere that a lot of comedians, even now, are terrified of ripping off Monty Python, and yet they don't seem at all bothered about carrying on like Pete & Dud, The Two Ronnies, Fry & Laurie etc etc in an unbroken line.

I suppose there was Not The Nine O'Clock News, but that was more a satire thing, which is about the only time you do get groups larger than two. Like The Now Show on the radio, which is hit and miss. Some might say shite. Though it usually has great moments.

Who would you put together do you reckon? And would it work?

dang65
it's all the rage
Oh, and The Comic Strip. Maybe it's not that unusual. But even that was 30 odd years ago.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:

I did read somewhere that a lot of comedians, even now, are terrified of ripping off Monty Python, and yet they don't seem at all bothered about carrying on like Pete & Dud, The Two Ronnies, Fry & Laurie etc etc in an unbroken line.

It's a bit weird that this reverence to Monty Python continues, they're rerunning old episodes on cable at the moment. About 80% of each show is painfully awful. Every now and then there's a famously funny sketch but it's waaaaaaay more Miss than Hit.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

And The Goons!? Fucking hell! What a load of old shit.

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Oh, and The Comic Strip. Maybe it's not that unusual. But even that was 30 odd years ago.

Mary Whitehouse Experience
Absolutely

etc

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

dang65
it's all the rage
So, do you reckon the comedians are doing the right thing in sticking in pairs.

Oh, and The Fast Show. That wore thin after a while, but was fantastic when it was first broadcast.

And The League Of Gentlemen.

I dunno. Both formats work well enough don't they.

Black Mask

Highly-educated men getting dragged up and doing funny voices? It's a bit shit, isn't it?

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Highly-educated men getting dragged up and doing funny voices? It's a bit shit, isn't it?

The thing nowadays is that most of these sketch show people have a selection of characters and catch phrases and use them over and over again. Monty Python had a few stock characters, but most the time it was a different set up each show. I know a lot of it is really weak now, but the best stuff still stands up and the format should be tried more often, really. With threads running through shows and sketches banging into each other and that. I'm not saying to just copy Monty Python, but to update that format a bit.
Deep Freeze
TMO Member
monty python were all quite similar though weren't they, as were the comic strip people. And the not the nine o'clock news people. I think that the closest we've got to that more recently was the day today. The thing that they've all got in common is that primarily they were saying something, they represented a disaffection, a generational gap and a desire to rebuild using new rules. Maybe TV is less powerful as a medium for that kind of social electricity these days because people find their niche online and turn to TV more for mind numbing entertainment. I don't know. That's probably bollocks. There are plenty of comedic actors out there, but when you've got such meaningless tweeness as flight of the conchords and mighty boosh as the top tv comedies, or the angsty cynicism of peep show, it seems clear that we don't want to get behind people with a cause. We want either inoffensive noodling or theatre of humiliation. I say 'we', but I don't really know who that is.

I'm talking shit here so that somebody can shoot me down.

[ 31.03.2009, 08:04: Message edited by: Deep Freeze ]

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Deep Freeze:
such meaningless tweeness as flight of the conchords and mighty boosh as the top tv comedies, or the angsty cynicism of peep show, it seems clear that we don't want to get behind people with a cause. We want either inoffensive noodling or theatre of humiliation.

The Flight of Conchords is just shit. Mighty Boosh is a continuation of typical British daftness (Goon Show, Python, Vic & Bob...) that has been cynically drawn as edgy because they occasionally drop the word 'rape' into their Random Gag Generator. Peep Show I do actually see as having a voice. It's not really saying much other than 'Life is shit'. But, there you go.

--------------------
sweet

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
I'm still very much down with tim and eric. They're midway through their fourth season now, and it's delivering as always.
Black Mask

I'm not saying all British comedy is plain rubbish. I'll watch it. I laugh at most of it. There's just not much to get excited about. We've got these comedy double acts and comedy teams, but none of them (or hardly any of them) really go out on a limb or doing anything genuinely interesting. We stratify them, Python = Genius, Russ Abbot's Comedy Workhouse = Dire. But, really there's not that much in it, in the majority of cases/material/performances. I think we do better with situation/character comedy and individual stand-ups.

The Day Today was good. But they were more of a team put together to realise someone else's comedic vision, weren't they?

--------------------
sweet

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
when it comes to actual laughter, I think that Harry Hill's TV Burp probably gets me the most, and if Sean Locke is on form when he's on a panel show.
Black Mask

quote:
when it comes to actual laughter, I think that Harry Hill's TV Burp probably gets me the most, and if Sean Locke is on form when he's on a panel show.

Harry Hill is consistently funny. He does that slightly cheeky whimsy thing. Completely unapologetically, no cards up his sleeve, no mocking pomo agenda. Just big collars, bad props and daft jokes. He even made You've Been Framed funny. He still takes the piss out of Lisa Riley on that, and she hasn't been on the telly for about 10 years.

--------------------
sweet

Tilde
TMO Member
Trying to think of UK TV comedy that's good. So far on my list I've got:

League of Gentlemen
Spaced
Peep Show
Alan Partridge
The Day today
The Office
Fall and Rise of Reginal Perrin

The great british Public voted for
1. fools and horses
2. blackadder
3. vicar of dibley
4. dad's army
5. fawlty towers
6. yes minister
7. porridge
8. open all hours
9. the good life
10. once foot in the grave.

Christ on a bike.

[ 31.03.2009, 08:43: Message edited by: Tilde ]

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:

The great british Public voted for
1. fools and horses
2. blackadder
3. vicar of dibley
4. dad's army
5. fawlty towers
6. yes minister
7. porridge
8. open all hours
9. the good life
10. once foot in the grave.

I find it really hard to watch any of those now, with the exception of Fawlty Towers (if I'm in the mood) and the majestic Porridge. Porridge is mainly worth repeated viewing for the splendid ensemble performing, though. Same goes for Rising Damp and the Perrins.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nowt wrong with fawlty towers

eta: oh noes I agreed with Mask on something [Frown]

[ 31.03.2009, 08:48: Message edited by: ralph ]

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
The lead performances in Dad's Army are pretty good. Lowe was excellent.

Also good from the golden era of british sitcomes was ever decreasing circles.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LotSW! Although admittedly it has gone off the boil a bit in recent decades.

[ 31.03.2009, 09:00: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Tilde
TMO Member
Link for 11 -100 here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/top11to100.shtml

I can't remember Ever decreasing Circles - I remember the start with the pond and the ripples. Anyway it's in at 52.

Deep Freeze
TMO Member
men behaving badly is freaking agony when you watch it now. What the hell happened to this country around that time?
Deep Freeze
TMO Member
hmm. sarah alexander is married to Peter Serafinowicz. I always hoped that she'd end up with me, but I can't compete with Peter. Peter incidentally is a big fan of tim and eric as well.

I once stood next to Sarah Alexander in Kensington. She was looking in an estate agent's window, I was pretending to do so, drinking in the moment.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What the hell happened to this country around that time?

'Lad' 'Culture', according to the press.
Black Mask

11 Father Ted More | Top of page
12 Keeping Up Appearances More | Top of page
13 'Allo 'Allo! More | Top of page
14 Last of the Summer Wine More | Top of page
15 Steptoe and Son More | Top of page
16 Men Behaving Badly More | Top of page
17 Absolutely Fabulous More | Top of page
18 Red Dwarf More | Top of page
19 The Royle Family More | Top of page
20 Are You Being Served? More | Top of page
21 To the Manor Born More | Top of page
22 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em More | Top of page
23 The Likely Lads More | Top of page
24 My Family More | Top of page
25 The Office More | Top of page
26 Drop the Dead Donkey More | Top of page
27 Rising Damp More | Top of page
28 Dinnerladies More | Top of page
29 As Time Goes By More | Top of page
30 Hancock's Half Hour More | Top of page
31 The Young Ones More | Top of page
32 Till Death Us Do Part More | Top of page
33 Butterflies More | Top of page
34 The Thin Blue Line More | Top of page
35 Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin More | Top of page
36 Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights More | Top of page
37 Waiting for God More | Top of page
38 Birds of a Feather More | Top of page
39 Bread More | Top of page
40 Hi-De-Hi More | Top of page
41 The League of Gentlemen More | Top of page
42 I'm Alan Partridge More | Top of page
43 Just Good Friends More | Top of page
44 2.4 Children More | Top of page
45 Bottom More | Top of page
46 It Ain't Half Hot Mum More | Top of page
47 The Brittas Empire More | Top of page
48 Gimme Gimme Gimme More | Top of page
49 Rab C. Nesbitt More | Top of page
50 Goodnight Sweetheart More | Top of page
51 Up Pompeii More | Top of page
52 Ever Decreasing Circles More | Top of page
53 On the Buses More | Top of page
54 Coupling More | Top of page
55 George and Mildred More | Top of page
56 A Fine Romance More | Top of page
57 Citizen Smith More | Top of page
58 Black Books More | Top of page
59 The Liver Birds More | Top of page
60 Two Pints of Lager and... More | Top of page
61 The New Statesman More | Top of page
62 Sykes More | Top of page
63 Please, Sir! More | Top of page
64 Dear John More | Top of page
65 Barbara More | Top of page
66 Spaced More | Top of page
67 Bless this House More | Top of page
68 Love Thy Neighbour More | Top of page
69 Man About the House More | Top of page
70 Desmonds More | Top of page
71 Duty Free More | Top of page
72 All Gas and Gaiters More | Top of page
73 Happy Ever After/Terry & June More | Top of page
74 Only When I Laugh More | Top of page
75 Brass More | Top of page
76 The Rag Trade More | Top of page
77 Sorry More | Top of page
78 Kiss Me Kate More | Top of page
79 Doctor in the House More | Top of page
80 I Didn't Know You Cared More | Top of page
81 Shelley More | Top of page
82 Nearest and Dearest More | Top of page
83 Fresh Fields More | Top of page
84 The Army Game More | Top of page
85 Robin's Nest More | Top of page
86 The Dustbinmen More | Top of page
87 Whoops Apocalypse More | Top of page
88 My Wife Next Door More | Top of page
89 Never the Twain More | Top of page
90 Nightingales More | Top of page
91 Early Doors More | Top of page
92 Agony More | Top of page
93 The Lovers More | Top of page
94 Father Dear Father More | Top of page
95 Hot Metal More | Top of page
96 And Mother Makes... More | Top of page
97 Life With the Lyons More | Top of page
98 Marriage Lines More | Top of page
99 A Sharp Intake of Breath More | Top of page
100 No Problem

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

We should do a complete review and appraisal of every one of the top 100. We owe it to British comedy to get to the bottom of exactly what's gone wrong.

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
The raging-out-of-control genre at the moment, of course, is the panel game thing, like QI, Stop The Week, 8 Out Of 10 Cats and loads more. The radio's been full of them for years. I like The Unbelievable Truth, but that's probably because it's hosted by David Mitchell who is going from strength to strength at the moment, till everyone gets sick of him.

Those programmes must cost about 20p to make, but they do work most the time. i.e. They makes I laugh. I wonder how easy it is to maintain that, and why it's usually funnier (with a bit of editing, presumably) for a few comedians to just sit there bouncing jokes off each other than it is when they sit down for weeks on end to write a carefully crafted script.

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+