Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 31)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, don't bother with it.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
The only anime film I've ever seen was Akira. It was pretty much incomprehensible and completely eradicated any desire I had to watch anything else in this so-called art-form.

This might not have been your fault. Early versions of the film were dubbed terribly and there were a lot of subtitle versions that again didn't really say much. The basic premise is that some kids were tested on for latent supernatural powers. One of the children, Akira brings about the destruction of Neo Tokyo which is covered up as a nuclear attack bringing about the start of World War 3. After that, Japan rebuild the city but because of the fallout from the war (possibly, they hint at) caused by Akira's destruction of Neo Tokyo, the city is in political turmoil. As a result, the kids of the modern society are unruly and anarchic. Their behaviour causes one of them to come into contact with the 'children' (who do not age due to the drugs they take to keep their powers in check) and his latent powers are awakened. History begins to repeat itself.

It's pretty impossible to dub anime as being a 'so-called' art form without sounding like something Samuel Norton would say. If I recall, Akira was an animation that broke the boundaries of quality that made anime marketable to a western audience. It influenced hundreds of films to mimic its animation style so that anyone who enjoys a Studio Ghibli film would be watching animation pioneered by the Akira Team.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you fucking nerdy fuck.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHUT UP.

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
whatever. Nerd.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
This might not have been your fault.

No, I don't think it was.
Kanye West
TMO Member
Manga also released legend of the overfiend in a completely incomprehensible version. In fact, between their terrible mashups of classic anime movies and confusing everybody by calling themselves 'Manga', those dudes managed to pretty much ruin the chances of anime taking off in the UK for a good ten years.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akira was fucking dreadful. Most things are fucking dreadful, though, to be fair.
Kanye West
TMO Member
that's true, mart. Most things are really poorly conceived and then badly carried out.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
This might not have been your fault.

No, I don't think it was.
So then it's agreed, you must have watched an earlier dubbed version of the film that failed to convey the basic plot that even a pig ignorant thickazoid could understand.

--------------------

mart
I think he just thought it was a load of old bollocks, Mikee.
New Way Of Decay

I got that.

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
I don't love akira. I think the film that made me take anime seriously was 'perfect blue'.
New Way Of Decay

But you know because it's a film that I watched that I quite enjoyed, it's like a personal attack on me. It's like, if you call Akira a load of old bollocks it's the literal translation of rubbing your bollocks on me. You don't want to rub your bollocks on me martin. Not even if I ask.

--------------------

mart
You didn't make it very clear that you got that.
New Way Of Decay

What's your favourite film, mart btw?

--------------------

mart
Oh yeah right like I'm going to blurt that out on here.
New Way Of Decay

Don't worry mate, it's probably bollocks anyway.

--------------------

mart
No, it's really good, actually.
New Way Of Decay

I guess we'll never know.

--------------------

mart
Why would I have something that's a load of old bollocks as my favourite film? It doesn't make sense.

I'm getting my bollocks out now, Mikee.

mart
I've put them away again now.
New Way Of Decay

Can everyone stop getting their bollocks out please?

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* pauses mid bollock-extraction *
Kanye West
TMO Member
have a peek at these beauties.
mart
Do you remember back in the 'heyday' when Ben got his bollocks out or something. In that sweaty bar.
Kanye West
TMO Member
rings a bell.
mart
Great times.
Kanye West
TMO Member
treasured memories.
mart
Forever in my heart.
mart
Anyway.
Kanye West
TMO Member
Right.
Kanye West
TMO Member
Do you like anime, mart?
mart
I've only seen Akira, and didn't like it.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I see.

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+