Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 38)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Doctor Agamemnon When

- posted      Profile for Doctor Agamemnon When           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
District 9

Fantastic film, and bizarrely believable for a story involving 8-foot Insectoid Aliens. A great twist on apartheid and - I thought - profoundly moving.

Has anyone else found themselves using the expletive "fockin prowns!" since watching this film?

NurseWhen didn't speak to me for two days after taking her to see District 9. Mind you, she was a bit miffed about the horrors of war in Avatar as well. Maybe I should stop going to the cinema with her?

quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
top gear

Top Gear is a bit of a wierd one. It's moved a considerable distance away from a program about motor-cars and motoring, and seems now to concentrate almost solely on racing rocket-powered office furniture against incredibly expensive vehicles, or destroying things.

Whilst I'm not necessarily against playing polo with double-decker buses in Latvia, or causing parking damage to MOT failures in Dorset car parks, Top Gear does seem more of a "Rich Blokes' Max Power for the telly" these days.

I don't make any great effort to watch it.

One of my dirty secrets is a love of those "Police! Camera!" type reality programmes (not the screeching US ones, the pleasant UK ones). There's nothing more amusing than a couple of coppers, straining with the effort of not giving some pikey a good kicking whilst on camera, shouting politely whilst some wonky-toothed Adidas-clad dolescum staggers from his vehicle trying to throw the drugs away.

I've also been enjoying the new series of "Being Human", have you?

--------------------
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
The Wonderful World of Dr. When

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not totally sold on the new series of Being Human. It's a lot darker than the first series and seems to have lost a lot of the humour which made the first one so watchable. That said, the last episode was pretty funny, and I've certainly been enjoying it, so yeah. 7.5/10
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i only like danny dyer's toughest nuts. and star trek tng. and live roulette. and muller lite adverts. and the pictures you get when you look at XXX Red Hot Wives before the free 10 minute 'taster' comes on.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also I enjoy watching a frozen frame from the tv show 'super nanny' while bruce dickinson's rock show plays on six music.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 -  -  -  -  -  -
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether to masturbate or go sit on the naughty step for 38 minutes.
Tilde
TMO Member
it's very confusing, like a fantasy sexed up version of my primary school teacher, that never existed except in my imagination.
Tilde
TMO Member
*computer shut down*
Tilde
TMO Member
God she's filthy
Tilde
TMO Member
 -

y-yes supernanny, I will bend over whilst you put on your gloves

Tilde
TMO Member
 -

no.. not the finger...

Tilde
TMO Member
 -

Supernanny...Naooooo

Tilde
TMO Member
 -

For christ's sake supernanny, don't make him smell it, he's just a child!

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 08.02.2010, 18:15: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
went to see a prophet yesterday. the first half is about as good as anything youve ever seen- tough and tense and completely involving. the second half, not so much. its always problematic when the underdog works his way up through a criminal heirarchy, engaging in progressively less excusable acts of violence and manipulation and thereby draining you of your ability to engage with his journey. also, he grows a hideous moustache and his hair goes really very wrong about two years in, which seriously doesn't help. you could in fact argue that audiard is making a direct connection between the state of a man's soul and the state of his hair, in a sense, referring to the universal folk wisdom that men with moustaches are morally compromised in some essential way. still worth three poun fifty of anybody's money though. of course, if you live in london you'll be paying ninety eight quid for a seat and forty two pence per kernel for your popcorn, in which case i might wait til it comes out on dvd.

[ 08.02.2010, 18:33: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dee-em rocks.

--------------------
sweet

dance margarita
TMO Member
awww, bless you, sugartits. i finally got round to watching moon. moon rocks! MOON ROCKS. geddit. it really does, though. and i hadnt read a review or seen a trailer or anything, and noone i know who's seen it had said anything more than 'sam rockwell in a spaceship, you should completely watch it'. loved it. there was some talk upthread about clint mansell, and im very definitely not the first person to have thought or said this but, you know, ive seen requiem for a dream, i know what clint mansell does now, im aware of his journey. but i was watching moon, and listening to the soundtrack, which is all beautiful and delicate and evocative and immaculately judged, and i suddenly thought 'fucking hell, this is by the same dude who wrote beaver patrol'. dont get me wrong, i liked the poppies and everything, fine band, and beaver patrol certainly has its share of, well, youthful exuberance. really though, its a headfuck. Soundtrack to moon... rewind, to beaver patrol. 'lux aeterna'... and rewind, to beaver patrol. its gloriously nonsensical when you really think about it.

[ 09.02.2010, 20:06: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird, isn't it. It's as though when he was a teenager all he thought about was girls and lager, whereas now he's in his forties he's more concerned with craft and artistry. Total headfuck, as you say. We all know that men are emotional infants who remain obsessed with beer and titties their entire lives, and anyone who deviates from that needs to be commented upon with a sense of bewildered bafflement.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew Mansell wrote The One and Only. Versatile motherfucker, ain't he?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaver Patrol is a cover.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

dance margarita
TMO Member
thats not what i meant. i meant that its really beautiful when you can see the arc of someones creative progression illustrated that clearly, its madd inspiring. will it make your day better to believe thats what i meant, thorn? i ask because i want to make your life better in some small way if i can. you know, your life and all lives. all human lives, if thats possible. but ill start with you.

--------------------

dance margarita
TMO Member
Lol, is it? well, there you go. it makes a bit more sense now. it was markedly more gonzo than the rest of their canon. how disappointing. Who wrote beaver patrol then? id really like it if the answer to this question was PHILLIP GLASS.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the 60's group the Wilde Knights. I wonder if there's something to be said about how if someone is taken seriously they start to act more seriously. One of the last tracks before Requiem by Mansell was called Tits n Ass = Dollars and Aronovsky was introduced to Clint's recording studio which featured a guitar with mostly all the strings missing. After the succes of Pi, he was invited to record the RFAD soundtrack based on the strength of his ability and well, the rest as you know.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

I'm sorry that I know so much bullshit about Clint Mansell, all.

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
you can get the moon ost on spotify.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
thats not what i meant. i meant that its really beautiful when you can see the arc of someones creative progression illustrated that clearly, its madd inspiring. will it make your day better to believe thats what i meant, thorn? i ask because i want to make your life better in some small way if i can. you know, your life and all lives. all human lives, if thats possible. but ill start with you.

I didn't mean for that to sound as aggressive as it did. So, you know. Yeah. Also, he may still mainly love writing songs about beer and tits, but the guy's gotta pay the bills too.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:

No I can't. I use Linux.
dance margarita
TMO Member
yes, and i for definitely will. and actually the only reason i wont be diving into PWEI's back catalogue is that im currently very aware that ive turned into mikee's bete noir, the person who only listens to- or engages with- music with which they are already familiar. is annoying, and now spotify exists i dont even have the excuse that i cant afford to buy music. maybe i will start a thread like the one sam did, when damo tried to get her into underground resistance or whatever it was. that was good. i think she got a lot from it.

--------------------

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the Moon OST and it's pretty good, like.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
mikee's bete noir
I wish that were true, but I picked up my CD collection only recently and Pia and I were sitting cross-legged on the floor trying to glean the better albums. Every CD was like a Craig David rewind into an 90's. I see the VileEvils are playing but I'm probably not going to watch them out of a sense of embarrassed nostalgia.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

quote:
im currently very aware that ive turned into mikee's bete noir, the person who only listens to- or engages with- music with which they are already familiar.

I do this too, although my excuse is that every time someone waxes on about some 'brilliant new band' they've heard, it turns out to be a load of old shit, and then you find out that six months later they've completely forgotten about the band themselves, or had only ever heard one song that was played on an advert.
Kanye West
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:

No I can't. I use Linux.
you can, using the Wine software.
Kanye West
TMO Member
(i 'get the joke' btw)
Kanye West
TMO Member
i mostly listen to new stuff. I tend to just stick on hype machine when i want to listen to music, and I'd say things that I get really into generally fall out of rotation in about a year.
dance margarita
TMO Member
yeah, when i worked at glastonbury i spent my entire day off dicking around watching bands who just left me feeling deflated. i was in the tailend of a period then when i didnt even know what i used to like, which was way more bewildering than this for sure, but i walked, you know, a mile and a half to see vampire weekend, and then they were... vampire weekend. only diverting from the most boring template in the world in theory, barely doing so in practise. just another fucking indie band, but worse, because everyone pretends theyre not. anyway. i will start that thread. I dont want to give up trying.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+