Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » what have you been reading and watching (Page 39)

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40 

Author Topic: what have you been reading and watching
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
although I'm still partial to the gta san andreas "k-dst" album, and that hangover complication that mart and i did has had quite a few plays. music tends to be either live, or a background thing for me these days. i never really just sit there and listen to music.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm the same. Background background background. Actually, background music is the only kind of music I actively listen to, these days, now I think about it.

I played Threnody by Goldmund (it's on that hangover playlist) over and over all day when I first heard it. Interestingly, it just came on, just now, on shuffle from my "Translating" playlist.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
vampire weekend. only diverting from the most boring template in the world in theory, barely doing so in practise. just another fucking indie band, but worse, because everyone pretends theyre not.

That's exactly one of the bands I was thinking of. My friend was telling me that I should listen to Vampire Weekend, and I punched him right in the fucking head*. He likes the kind of thing that the Guardian describes as 'achingly beautiful'. Fleet Foxes. Things like that. Awful, awful. That seems to be quite 'in' now. That, and a single, ever so slightly distorted guitar picking away over a glam rock beat, so that music journalists can call it "sleazy and authentic! The true spirit of grimy rock n fucking roll!" or some such bullshit.

*said 'no, it's not really my kind of thing'

Anyway. New Fear Factory album came out this week. Apparently it's better than Demanufacture, although I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet as I was learning how to calculate break even point, which was a concept most of the class really struggled to get to grips with. Also! (I Hope you're still listening, DM) I read a review of the new Fear Factory album that criticised Pantera for being low-brow. I quite liked that. The idea of intellectual elitism creeping into the metal community. Pantera for the thickies; Fear Factory screaming "I am rape! I am hate!" for the clever people.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I just joined twitter for no apparent reason. How do I get to see pictures of seb's dinner and stuff?
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think he's on twitter
mart
flickr
Ringo

Ah right. Are they different things then? I don't really know anything about this web 2.0 stuff
mart
flickr is for posting photos online. twittr is for words. they're separate things. i only use flickr.
Ringo

Where does twitpic factor into this?

To be honest I only signed up so I could follow all the F1 insider stuff int he run up to the start of the season.

mart
I don't know. Sounds like something specifically for Twitter.

Flickr is where people store or host their photos, like an online gallery, and that's it; it's not really for hosting so as to link to somewhere else, but rather just an online place where your photos go. In the old days you'd make albums, or have all your photos in a shoebox or something. These days people put them on Flickr. For example. I use it for my best photos and am on a couple of discussion forums dealing specifically with my cameras and how to use them best and so on, but mainly it's just a place I upload photos to. Rather than, I don't know, taking photos and then not doing anything with them.

Kanye West
TMO Member
twitpic is a photo hosting service that's heavily integrated with twitter, although not actually part of it.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ it gets more like a forum populated by TOGs every day.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
flickr is for posting photos online. twittr is for words. they're separate things. i only use flickr.

Liar.

http://twitter.com/martinez21

mart
I don't think that's me, mate.
mart
Bloody hell, it is me. I have no memoery of this whatsoever.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a review of 'i shall destroy all the civilsed planets!' by fletcher hanks, of which i was speaking yesterday in an entirely inappropriate thread.

here is an image from 'i shall destroy all the civilsed planets!'

-

here is another one.

-

its some nutso shit, seriously. i recommend it to anyone who likes badly drawn 1940s comics featuring totally batshit protagonists up- fucking the shit of all sorts of bad guys in a succession of increasingly confusing ways, drawn by a dude who was apparently a total paranoid drunken wife- beating tool. if you like that sort of thing, youll probably like this.

[ 11.02.2010, 12:23: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I watched Synecdoche, New York last week and thought it was a fantastic, marvellous film. It's fairly demanding in the first twenty minutes or so, but the pay offs are so glorious that it's worth giving yourself over to it. Like Gravity's Rainbow it kind of attempts a lot of crazy, metaphysical stuff, but it does give you a helping hand. Early references to The Trial, and Death of a Salesman set out the stall quite nicely and give you an idea of what you might be in for, but what spools out from thereon is an extraordinary and unique film. I think Benway would quite like it - there's elements of Paul Auster and Samuel Beckett in the study of total loneliness and alienation and evaporating sense of self. There's also flashes of David Lynch in the flourishes of dreamlike logic, and the disorienting passages of time (it takes a few moments to notice it, but the opening covers about three months in the character's life, despite appearing to be one continuous scene). These influences aside, though, the film is incredibly original, impossible to categorise and utterly moving and wonderful.

Man. S,NY is SUCH a shitty movie. It's a boho soho hipster's wet-dream. It almost totally lacks coherence. It's a parade of good ideas, but the willful disjointedness just robs it of any worth. A stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid waste of time... and movie. Brilliant things happened therein, but what a painful experience... watching all that imaginative potential just ooze away. And so proud of itself, right down to the didactic DVD cover. Being John Malkovich really excited me, I thought 'Maybe, here's someone who can make movies a whole new way. Someone who can make movies interesting again.' Then... movie after movie, there he is, standing in the mirror, beating off. Twat!

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
youll probably like this.

I do.

Thanks DeeEm. Only just seen this.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you and I have disagreed on every Kaufman film apart from Being John Malkovich, including Eternal Sunshine which is one of my most favourite films ever. I think more or less the only films we both like have got Jason Statham in them.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
I watched Up by Pixar, which is pretty good as these things go and also on topic.

I watched Up over the weekend and completely fucking lost it at least twice. I don't know. First Wall-E and now this. Wall-E I put down to the fact that I was hungover when I saw it, and feeling emotionally quite raw. As for Up... well. The baby's been a bit unwell, which may have had something to do with. Feeling a bit strung out, perhaps. Either way, the first ten minutes really did me in, and again with the 'stuff I'm going to do' bit towards the end.

Anyway. I'm suprised Tilde is so dismissive here: "pretty good as these things go" because whatever you think of Up it's doesn't really deserve to be lumped in as 'these things', whatever 'these things'. It's as though Pixar is now deliberately trying to find concepts that really shouldn't work, just so they can kick the received wisdom in the teeth.

Most obviously: an 79 year old man as a hero. Old folk are rare enough as leading characters these days. Making two-thirds of your leading cast old men in what's ostensibly a kid's film must have felt like madness. And then the first ten minutes is a montage explaining just how life drags you away from idealism, strips you of your youth, your beauty, your modest plans to raise a family, the people that you love, and then casts you out into a hostile world totally alone.

After that, it's gets bit more familiar, but that heavy sense of bereavement is always there, with the house providing a nice, clearly realised symbol of the grief carl is literally dragging around with him.

And so on and so forth. It's an excellent film, by any standard - not just 'pretty good for that kind of thing', whatever that means.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds last night.

9/10

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:

Thanks DeeEm. Only just seen this.

have you previously read it, or are you about to read it, or what? i need to know!

and ive only just seen that ive managed to misspell 'civilised' TWICE in that post. i am in mourning for my attention to detail; we buried it in the garden in a hamster's grave. heartbreaking times for the entire discodamage family.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Black Mask

quote:
have you previously read it, or are you about to read it, or what? i need to know!

I've ordered it from Amazon, never read it before. Looks good. Good and weird.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

Read The Hustler, by Walter Tevis on the way to and from London on Friday afternoon. Been a long while since I was that gripped by a story. I think Black Mask would like it, if he hasn't already read it. I think Benway would enjoy the style, even as he got annoyed by an entire book being about talent, winning, and the importance of transforming your character. Anyway. I liked it. It isn't just about playing pool: it is about life and deep things like that.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
The Hustler, by Walter Tevis ... I think Black Mask would like it,

I'll try and get a copy when I'm in the West End this week. Trying to make time to read the whole of Planetary again, now that I've got the 4th and final volume in my possession.

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
...who Played with Fire
...who kicked the Hornet's Nest

First was very good
Second was very good
Third was a bit too expositional in places for my liking.

Watching:

Glee
Caprica
The Good Wife

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

mart
Tonight I will be attending the opening night of Love Never Dies, the sequel to Phantom of the fucking Opera, and going to the swanky party afterwards.

I expect the show to be terrible and the party to be ace. At least, I really hope the party is ace. I don't care about the show.

Expect to see me in next week's gossip mags.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
Caprica

I've just started watching series 1 of BSG and I'm finding it really enjoyable. I can't udnerstand why I didn't watch it when it originally aired.

Anyway if you'd be so kind, could you let me know (without giving me any BSG spoilers please) if Caprica is any good. Assuming you watched BSG first, how does Caprica stand up against it?

ETA: I'm still watching Lost, ffs.

[ 09.03.2010, 11:32: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you finally discovered BSG Misc - I'll be honest that I am not a huge fan of a lot of American Sci-Fi, but BSG was absolutely brilliant and whilst it does meander a bit it was a cracking series.

I've started to watch Caprica, seen the first two but it hasn't reeled me in like BSG did - nothing wrong with the actors in it and it seems to be building a decent enough story but I don't find it as compelling. With BSG you watched one and felt yourself reaching for the remote for another fix, but Caprica is just a little bit, well 'meh' - not bad, but just not brilliant.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding Caprica to be a bit of a grower. It's a bit of a slow burn, not an immediate sure fire grab you by the face thing in the same way as BSG, the plot isn't moving particularly fast, but I'm still finding it a decent watch.

I'm particularly liking the Tauron cultural stuff and the casting of the chap playing Willie's dad - it's pretty on the money (if you know what I mean).

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

MiscellaneousFiles

Thanks guys!

I agree with Waynster that a lot of US sci-fi is quite terrible. I watched the whole of TNG, but couldn't face any other Trek, and other than Firefly, there hasn't been a great deal that I've found tolerable.

I watched the closing two-parter of BSG series one before bed last night, and it blew my tiny mind. So many answers, and yet so many new questions...

I had a dream in which D:REAMy professor Brian Cox was presenting a wide-eyed documentary on BBC Four about Cylon technology. It transpired that he was actually one of them. So keep an eye out for that guy - it could well have been a premonition. I think the LHC might be some kind of portal to bring the Cylons to Earth.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mart – is your girlfriend, the actress, in Love Never Dies? Is that why you are going?

I have recently been enjoying House. It is very formulaic in terms of the structure of each episode, but as the longer plot/characters develop it is awesome. The end of series five is powerful stuff, especially if you watch it late at night while drunk and in a fragile mental state.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean…it might seem that >100 hours of viewing time and inducing a minor mental breakdown is a lot to invest in a TV series, but the payoff is definitely worth it…
mart
No, Abby, she's not. But the resident director is a friend, and he had tickets, so we went along. Lots and lots of slebs. Dreadful show. Really really bad. It made no sense. Triffic party afterwards though at Old Billingsgate Market. More slebs.

Good fun. Crap, crap show.

MiscellaneousFiles

Yes, House is extremely formulaic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The characters are a pretty compelling bunch. You've got Billy off of Neighbours, token black guy, bisexual supermodel, the MILF, erm... Wilson... and, well, Bertie Wooster's just the icing on the cake.

I once got a Cease and Desist order through the post for downloading an episode of House. Well actually for uploading it.

This topic is comprised of pages: 40 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+