Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Society » It's like the end of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly - but with 15 sailors and Islam (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: It's like the end of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly - but with 15 sailors and Islam
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite amused by the idea of a team of hooligans storming into Iran chanting that Vindaloo song:

"En-ger-land! En-ger-land!
En-ger-land, En-ger-land, Nah-nah!
We're gonna kill more troops than you!
England!"

Perhaps the French could lend us some air-support:

-

[ 30.03.2007, 07:52: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, England. [Frown]
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
it would've been worth just saying, "yeah, sorry if we got it wrong" ...it would be a harmless admission that we might have made a mistake, which may have wrapped the whole thing up and it could've been forgotten about.

Maybe not though, but at least we should've tried.

Dude, I don't think international politics works quite like that. It's not a case of Iran then turning round and going "Gosh, they've admitted they were in our waters, but they've been pretty decent about the whole thing... I just... to be honest I feel like a bit of a wanker holding on to these hostages now. We were going to use them as leverage to fulfil an international agenda but that... you know... that just seems outright rude when they've been so polite about it all."

Personally I thought the satellite data would have been the end of it I don't know how it works that we get one back (a shit, woman one) when we jpull out the proof that Iran shouldn't have pinched them in the first place. I wish I was a diplomat. I would have been all like "Hang on! Fuck the fuck off! We've got incontravertable evidence that they weren't in Iranian waters when you pinched them, so give them all back you fucking camelfuckers. Jesus Christ." Not like "Oh good, we've got one soldier back for proving that we were right all along". The cabinet - seriously - the cabinet need to get to meeting with the Iranian minister of the interior or whoever the fuck, and just break his fucking face. All of them. Thorw him to the ground and give him a kicking until he gives up the goods. That's the only way to deal with people.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I keep on about Family Guy but there's this great representation of an English American Football team called The London Silly-Nannies. Implausibly the team aren't made up of NFL rejects but Englishmen who in practice do a sort of morris dance song, for which the lyrics are something like:
"If you marry me, I will scrub for you and bake for you, repeat" .

I love the way America sees us. It's almost as funny as the way they see themselves.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Somebody needs to let the US know that we only pin seven worthless plastic stars to people who work in McDonalds, rather than for being captured, shooting our own men etc.

That made me laugh that - Nice one Mikee!

I'm sure that this is indeed Iran using an opportunity to try and make out they are all big and clever, and hopefully they will let it run for a bit, flog it for all the media time they can, then let them return all for a paper-thin apology from the British which will basically be saying sorry for the inability of the Iranians to read a shipping chart, and it will all be over with - the Brits will come home, we'll all laugh at how feeble Iran are and it will all carry on until the next time (a similar incident occurred just a couple of years ago)- it is all part of the cat and mouse game that is borderline peace.

I'm pretty sure if it was a US crew this would not have happened, as the Iranians don't want war, and neither do the British, hence our chaps and lady were the best choice for the task in hand - in fact I would guess it was pretty much planned, right down to the media consultants insisting the blonde female be seen smoking and looking as unlady-like as possible.

Bush has installed a strain of patriotism more distilled to xenophobia than national pride, which runs deep with his supporters, and is hard programmed especially into the military - any action such as this would have ended up in bloodshed.

The British captives were doing the job of policing the waters - they were not there as invaders, agressors or tyrants - simply trying to keep together what little peace remains in the area by trying to prevent further arms entering the hands of the sadistic bastards who think they can prove a point about a 2000 year old ideal by blowing up children. They would only have used firepower in retaliation - ie if fired upon. As they were taken into custody as such, they would have been trained to react as diplomatically as possible.

The modern portrayal of the US military, especially the likes of say the Marine Corp is one of a basic doctrine - Country and corps - protect both at all costs, and in such a situation, the shame of being captured even as diplomatically and falsely as in this instance would have been the greatest taboo for the unit, and there would have been an exchange of fire, and who could tell where that would lead. I cannot say if that portrayal is realistic, but if you look at the Basra where the British are policing, and Baghdad where the Americans are, there appears to me to be a difference in the amount of attacks occurring, and I wonder how much of that is down to the levels of diplomacy being used? Yes there are other factors of course, but I do believe the methods of the two forces is different.

No offence meant to Sab or Ralph, if any taken - just expressing an opinion - any fault I may see in the US military I place squarely with the management.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
I love the way America sees us.

I do have pretty bad teeth though. [Frown]
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
Dude, I don't think international politics works quite like that.

You're quite right, as we've seen. But now the Iranians can be all offended and say, "If only they'd done what dang65 has just suggested then we'd have let them go straight away. You really need to listen to dang65 a bit more you know."

If they didn't let them go then we could carry on as we have done, but at least we could've said to the UN, "Look, we've admitted we might have made a mistake, like dang65 suggested, and they still won't let us have our guys back and that young mum, wossername. Now can we nuke'em? Go on, let us nuke'em. Go on."

And the UN would've had to say yes and Trident would've been justified after all.

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
No offence meant to Sab or Ralph, if any taken - just expressing an opinion - any fault I may see in the US military I place squarely with the management.

Offense? lol. None taken. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
And the UN would've had to say yes and Trident would've been justified after all.

Chewing gum and dub poetry isn't going to save us from the bomb, dang.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Boy Racer
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chewing gum might improve our terrible teeth though.

--------------------

ralph

quote:

It's precisely that attitude that's caused your nations dental woes in the first place.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum has been whitening her teeth. Her tatty pegs are like Data's Bully Blinders in the Goonies.

--------------------

ralph

Another forum I'm on is currently running a poll:

Should the British attack Iran?

No, never [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Yes, but only if negotiations fail with no time limits [ 1 ] [25.00%]

Yes, set a time limit for release then bomb the crap out of them! [ 3 ] [75.00%]

lol.

Boy Racer
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:

It's precisely that attitude that's caused your nations dental woes in the first place.
Backwards thinking from the Nation of Gum chewers. Trident is sugar free Ralph.

Do you know what your Mum's using for the tooth whitening Mikee? I quite fancy de-yellowing my gnashers.

[ 30.03.2007, 09:22: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be a football hooligan tomorrow! I'm going to my first ever game (Palace vs Wednesday, o the glamour).

We have an Iranian researcher here. Should I be doing my bit for Queen & Country and refusing him the key to the stationery cupboard?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you should be locking him in the stationery cupboard, until he apologises for (possibly) straying into your office.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, make him wear a bowler hat and carry an umbrella. And chain smoke.
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you know what your Mum's using for the tooth whitening Mikee? I quite fancy de-yellowing my gnashers.

I used this company a few years ago and cannot complain. A lot cheaper than paying your Dentist three times more for the same results.

[ 30.03.2007, 09:45: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Boy Racer
Got shares in that lot Zygote? [Wink]

[ 30.03.2007, 09:50: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I'm going to be a football hooligan tomorrow! I'm going to my first ever game (Palace vs Wednesday, o the glamour).

Palace vs Wednesday was my first ever football game, too. I won a tenner off George the Robot when Palace beat Wednesday four-one.

--------------------

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Got shares in that lot Zygote? [Wink]

Lol. No, but if they were floated I might have a little look. They must be making a small fortune. Certainly a 'growth' area..

[ 30.03.2007, 09:54: Message edited by: Zygote ]

New Way Of Decay

I asked my mum the same question BR, but sadly it's one of the things she can't remember. It's basically a kit you can buy, like the thing Zygote has linked too. I can confirm, the results are pretty good.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Can we see a picture of your pearly gnashers then, Zygote?

--------------------

mart
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
if they were floated I might have a little look

with shares, right, all you have to do is just buy shares in companies that you know are doing really, really well, and you're winner, right?

the difficult bit comes when you want to make a bit more money, so you gamble on companies that might do super-ace or super-shit, or on companies that are doing rubbish but might do ace in the future.

right? never got my head round shares. options. futures. stock. bonds. in fact it used to scare me, doing translations about it, more than, say, medical stuff.

mart
bit of a heavy, boring question for a friday afternoon, that, mart
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Can we see a picture of your pearly gnashers then, Zygote?

They were very pearly when I first whitened them - three years ago. I recently did a 'top-up' because my red wine habit means that they eventually require re-whitening again. I haven't any recent photos that show my teeth. They're fairly white though.
mart
we've just drunk champagne in the office.
turnover reached 2 million.
yay.

Nathan Bleak
I've just had some champagne too, on top of a liquid lunch, and it's made me feel dozy and thick. I reckon oru new receptionist must feel like this all the time. She has a very pretty bottom.

--------------------

mart
a champagne receptionist!
Nathan Bleak
lol, nice. She is very attractive. I'd love to have a muck about in her squishy.

--------------------

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
with shares, right, all you have to do is just buy shares in companies that you know are doing really, really well, and you're winner, right?

In essence: yes. It'd take me quite a while to try and condense everything into a post on here, but - in a nutshell - I would look to invest in cash-rich, high growth companies with no or little competition (that whittles it down by a thousand or so companies); strong balance sheets, reputable Chairman and Directors (who are actively buying shares in their own company); trading on very low multiples (P.E and P.E.G ratios etc).

It depends what you're looking to gain from the markets really - income growth (boring, safe, low-yielding, fixed interest stocks) or capital growth (buying shares, taking extra risks in order to make £££££).

If you leave your email address on here, I could send you a fairly lengthy article that I wrote for a trading website, that explains it all in more detail and is probably a lot easier to understand than what I've hurriedly typed here. [Smile]

mart
er, no, not really, don't have enough money to make it to the end of the month, never mind buy shares (and thus become interested in the subject).

thanks, though.

now back to thorn's receptionist's squishy bottom

Zygote
TMO's Member
You were just letting the champers get to your head weren't you, mart.
Zygote
TMO's Member
Stupid Zygote trying to be fucking helpful. That'll teach me.
mart
do you make shitloads of cash, then?

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+