Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Society » Congestion charge exemptions (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Congestion charge exemptions
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often droned on about how it's pointless picking on 4x4s because there are loads of other "normal" cars which are just as bad for the environment, but I was surprised to read here that both BMW X5s and Volvo XC90s - possibly the very pinnacle of wanky cars - are both exempt from the new £25 congestion charge.

Hopefully, Ken will come up with a special £150 charge to apply to them on some other pretext, but in the meantime. [Mad]

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's stupid shit like the new £25 C-charge that is going to ensure Boris's election.

edit
Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 3.2 £25

Though, that might be a good thing... No more boy racers as their £25 would be better spent on Red Stripe and Burberry

[ 13.02.2008, 10:31: Message edited by: sabian ]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 3.2 £25

Though, that might be a good thing... No more boy racers as their £25 would be better spent on Red Stripe and Burberry

Boy racers generally drive GTIs, which are in the standard £8 category along with all the other Golves. It's only the R32 (the R is for ridiculous) that falls into the £25 band, but the BBC don't make that particularly clear.
Pink
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pink           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that saying that politicians lie is like pointing out the sky is blue, but Livingstone is a particularly egregious example...

'I can't conceive of any circumstances in the foreseeable future where we would want to change the charge ' Ken Livingstone 2003

--------------------
...and so say we all.

sabian

That's been my 'bug bear' about Ken Fucking-Livingston...

When the C-charge was introduced I was like, "yeah, ok... A bit shit but if it means I can get down Oxford Street in under 3 hours, it's worth the £5" because "this scheme isn't a revenue maker, it is simply to act as a deterrent to keep cars out of c-london, the cost won't increase"... Then a year or so later, it's up to £8... Fair enough I thought, I mean buses have gone from 50p when I got here in 2000 to £2 today so the increase could have been worse.

Then, when the expansion was on the table, I got a little more pissed off because it wasn't ever supposed to be expanded AND I live in the new zone. So, whether or not I go into central london, I still have to pay £8 just for the privilege of parking my car. This is on top of the £300ish I would already have paid for my parking permit not to mention road tax and the 2/3rds of the cost of petrol as tax.

Now that he's done this shit under the guise of being 'green', it just pisses me off!

"Red Ken" should be "Green Wash Ken"

And, don't get me started on the stupid fucking Olympics!

I think Boris is a bumbling idiot who's only lasted this long because he's a "lovable scamp", but I hope he does win and I hope he abolishes all the stupid shit Ken has done. This country taxes the fuck out of people already, we don't need self-important Ken to add to the burden! Though, I suppose he has to have enough money in the coffers to pay for all the 'mates rates' contractors he's employed (directly or indirectly) or to defend himself against slander lawsuits when he starts bashing Jewish reporters again.

Fucking twat...

/rant over

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
"Red Ken" should be "Green Wash Ken"

Yes, but the Wiki item about "greenwashing" does include the example of car manufacturers advertising their cars as environmentally friendly when, in fact, "Consumer Ombudsman official Bente Oeverli said: Cars cannot do anything good for the environment except less damage than others."

The point being that all cars are massively destructive to the environment and any policy which reduces their usage in any way is a good thing.

If Ken makes driving in London a complete pain in the arse, and more and more expensive, then car usage will be reduced more and more. And that is good.

No one's banning cars yet, just saying that if you want to enjoy this massive luxury every day then you have to fucking pay for it.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sidetrack:

I'm eager to see what happens to pollution levels after a few years of * affordable motoring in India.

[Eek!]

Pink
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pink           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
No one's banning cars yet, just saying that if you want to enjoy this massive luxury every day then you have to fucking pay for it.

The point is that we already pay huge amounts of tax because we drive. In fuel duty alone I pay £144 a month which to me sounds like I am fucking paying for it..

[ 14.02.2008, 07:18: Message edited by: Pink ]

--------------------
...and so say we all.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what about Peak Oil?
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
But what about Peak Oil?

[Eek!] aaaaargh [Eek!]
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to pay a congestion charge if you ride a raptor?
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
driving in central london.
why?
what's the point?

unless you're delivering heavy goods or are an emergency service i cannot understand the need for a car in central london.

waits for a list of reasons.

bike. it's the way.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or get pulled in a sled by zombie dogs?
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Pink:
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:

The point is that we already pay huge amounts of tax because we drive. In fuel duty alone I pay £144 a month which to me sounds like I am fucking paying for it..
You obviously consider it's worth the expense at the moment though, or you'd find an alternative.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it when car owners have to pay lots of money for the privilege of tootling about in their hulking death-mobiles. It makes me happy.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, me too. When I was living in London I pretty much agreed with eveything Ken did, including the congestion charge. People may complain that the CC is an annoyance, but fuck those people. Fuck them.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also liked it when Thames Water wanted to build a desalination plant and Ken told them to get fucked and fix their leaking pipes instead. That was pretty sweet.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He may be a crook, but he's my kind of crook.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! Also, he gave all Londoners unlimited free bus rides on those bendy buses.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and kate bush wrote that awesome comic strip song about him. wargh- wargh- wargh- wargh- wargh! ken is the man that we all need! ken is the leader of the glc! great tune.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
bike. it's the way.
My cocking bike has gone broken. I rue the day I had to buy it from cocking Halfords to get the Cycle-to-Work bargain deal. [Mad]

I think Im gonna sell it to a chump and get a better one.

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i need new wheels.
well a new front one. i found out today. :madfaeces:

which means you may as well buy a pair.

which puts me in the "singlespeed or not singlespeed" conundrum.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by doc d:
i need new wheels.
well a new front one.

No you don't.

The frugal cyclist in your position would simply wheelie everywhere.

MiscellaneousFiles

-
The Frugal Cyclist goes to work.

MiscellaneousFiles

-
The Frugal Cyclist encourages World Peace.

MiscellaneousFiles

-
The Frugal Cyclist goes off-road.

MiscellaneousFiles

-
The Frugal Cyclist can't stand the rain.

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the really frugal cyclist doesn't waste money on the extra wheel to begin with...

-

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being that guy's wife would be so raw. Imagine it. He'd go off to work on his one big wheel and you've bake bread in the afternoon. He'd come home and go to the fridge and open up a can of Coors. He'd look over, you wouldn't be able to see where he was looking but you'd know he's sizing your giant melon tits bursting out of your flannel shirt. If his massive fucking snake cock hasn't already ripped his jeans off, just by getting a semi, he'd just hulk em off with his pythons, slip the pouch of his thong to one side and pound you over the worktop, making you spill the cookies you baked all afternoon all over the floor. Even just thinking about how manly that guy is makes my balls shrink back into my gut like deflated balloons two days after the party ended.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah
sabian

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Even just thinking about how manly that guy is makes my balls shrink back into my gut like deflated balloons two days after the party ended.

To be fair though NWoD... Pictures of Tinky-Winky do the same thing!
 -

--------------------

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely aligning myself with the "make people pay to destroy the planet" crowd.

And I have driven an awful lot in the last year or two, so you know, it's my fault too [Frown]

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

dang65
it's all the rage
Yeah, that describes me too. I drive a lot more than I'd like, but I accept that I should pay for the privilege. But that's not really the point, and I guess that's what's winding so many people up... that getting people to pay money to drive isn't making cars go away, and we never seem to see any evidence that all that money is actually going towards subsidising or developing new alternatives.

There will come a tipping point though, where the cost of running a petrol driven car becomes completely unviable for the vast majority of people. And I think that will be a better time when it comes. I mean, most people's (understandable) reason for not cycling is that the roads are so dangerous. Take the cars away and cycling would become a huge pleasure instead of a white knuckle terror ride.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang. You're a cycle guru. I've just moved to a new place about 6 miles from work, which sounds like a perfect commute, even to lazy me. I would in fact have been cycling it alrady but for the fact that some pikey fuck stole my bike from the station the last time I tried to save the planet.

Now. I used to use a Specialized MTB that I'd semi-converted for roads anyway, but I've decided I don't really need offroadability, and am looking at a hybrid/city bike.

What do you know about the Specialized Sirrus? I know proper road bikes are faster but the body position is really awkward for me, especially as I am extremely tall (and heavy - thus MTBs tend to last longer).

Any thoughts?

Save the planet! and my gut!

Also - can I ask a very much non-loaded question and ask why XC90s are wanky, and Landys...not?

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hybrids are where it's at. You should get some decent mudflaps though. And I'd recommend getting a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, as it's pretty much the only tyre you'll ever need and will save getting punctures.

6 miles is about the distance I travel to work, and it's a nice easy ride really. So much so that I often walk these days instead.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+