Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Sex and Relationships » Everyday things we like. (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Everyday things we like.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
probably not. I never really cared about it, and had no desire to increase my skills. I couldn't get into the competitive spirit.

I bet I'm less competetive than you...

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you are.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hugely competitive when I was younger but I grew out of it when I realised what a cnut it made me. I'm sure some people can pull it off - you know, being highly competitive but not being unbearable with it. But I couldn’t. These days, if I feel my competitive instincts rising I tend to just give up and let the other person win, to avoid confrontation. I'm a nicer person for it, I reckon.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nobody likes a winner.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ralph does.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid Ralph!
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often don't care if I win or lose, but sometimes a competitive cnut rises within. I had denied the existence of such a beast, but upon closer inspection it turns out that I was either a) shit at whatever it was I was trying or b) ashamed to admit to my inner cnut or c) so afraid to lose, I'd sabotage my lame-ass attempts so I could always convince myself 'I could have won if I hadn't deliberately dropped an anvil on my foot / taken a tab of lsd / gouged out my eyes with spoons before the big netball goal-off.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Herbs' school sounds excellent.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I think it's simply the case that some people are so upset by the idea of losing that they pretend not to care so they don't have to put any effort into it. It's like you could say that you should never strive to achieve your potential because you might find that your potential isn't anywhere near as great as you thought it would be. If you never try, you can just assume that you'd be great at anything to which your turned your hand.

You can also 'win' against people who are unashamedly competative, and cause them a lot of frustration with your apparent lack of botherment for the fact you've been beaten.

It's a really underhanded tactic but I would say that people who claim not to be competative, are actually among the most competative people in the world.

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find my competitiveness varies. I'm not afraid of losing/being shit when it comes to something I'm new to or whatever but if it's something I feel I should be good at, I get pretty anxious. I was terrified of playing chess against a friend of mine, because I thought he would kick my arse, and the first match we had was terrible. I just couldn't concentrate. Once I got that kicking out the way, I was quite happy to sit down and play again and actually won. It's like, I don't mind a competitive situation if I'm expected/ expecting to lose. But if I'm supposed to win, I kind of fall apart.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Competing against machines, inanimate objects and myself - they're all OK.

[ 26.04.2007, 10:42: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do 'holding my breath' contests in my head. That's about as competetive as I get. I tried to pretend that I was competetive when I was captain of a football team - but it really didn' work...

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Competing against machines, inanimate objects and myself - they're all OK.

What if it was an inanimate Jonesy machine? Just an expressionless robotic clone of yourself that made basic movements and stared dead ahead the whole time? Do you reckon you could sit across from that in a game of chess and feel comfortable?

[ 26.04.2007, 10:47: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I think I'd probably attack it before the end of the game. Maybe cry a little as I bit out its eyes and crushed their green glass into a powder on my lacerated tongue.

[ 26.04.2007, 10:51: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
All machines are inanimate objects, right? I haven't discovered that AI kid in the shed or anything, I was just being a bit thick.
Nathan Bleak
I'd like to see that - especially if the whole time you were beating it, it kept repeating "Who do you really hate? It's not me." in a digitised version of your voice.

--------------------

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorn, you've hit the nub on the gist. In sporting matters, where I am shit, I don't care if I lose, but playing Boggle, for example, I would have to win, at least the majority of the time.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I think a clone/robotclone/whatever of yourself would just be awful to have around. If it was a prefect facsimile of the original then it would be too much to bear. It's like all those things about yourself that you deny and that your mind is forced to modify before they're processed properly - because if your mind allowed you to know the truth, to really see yourself, you'd be flying through the air on your way to the pavement beneath the multi-story car park. If those things were acted out in front of you by an exact replica...if you could see yourself in action. Brrr. I'd definitely destroy the machine before it destroyed me.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Deja vu - didn't we have a clone discussion in Nov or Dec? Where am I - is this Qatar?

Would a clone not register with you as you because your mind is so used to seeing a mirror rather than true you? Well?

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
But then if the machine was a perfect reproduction it would feel exactly the same way about me as I did about it. It would take one look into my eyes and think "Fuck me. I can't watch this. This thing, it's going to destroy me. It's going to go outside; it's going to go into the world and it's going to be me. And I'm going have to witness me, out there in the world, in action. I must destroy this machine before it destroys me."

And then we'd go at it I expect.

[ 26.04.2007, 11:33: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Deja vu - didn't we have a clone discussion in Nov or Dec?

It's possible. I don't remember. But that's not to say I wasn't involved. December's a long time ago.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Stupid Ralph!

what the fuck
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
maybe your clone was involved?

--------------------

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what ralph's got up his sleeve for the 'big four thousand'?

Edit: Stupid typing with cigarette in mouth.

[ 26.04.2007, 11:35: Message edited by: Zygote ]

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
I wonder what ralph's got up his sleeve for the 'big four thousand'?

Pretty much the same lame dribble that constituted that last 3,999 posts.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for a pill?
ralph

Took one about 3 hours ago. I don't like them anymore. The feelings are coming back.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
all work no play makes ralph a dull boy.

[ 26.04.2007, 11:43: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
what they should do is zoom in on the people who are chatting when they're not supposed to be.

In the Murphy Vs Parrott match that I've been watching this afternoon, a woman's mobile phone just went off. She promptly answered it in a loud voice, saying "HELLO?" Everybody laughed, including the players and referee. Murphy even commented, "Sounds just like my Mum!" which drew further laughs from the audience.

A moment of sheer comical brilliance, I'm sure you'll agree.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Took one about 3 hours ago. I don't like them anymore. The feelings are coming back.

Time for a hug?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
that sounds like the funniest thing since that time when the man in the audience sneezed.
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Time for a hug?

I killed the last man that tried to hug me.
ralph

lol. JimmyBigNuts is quickly approaching 2,000 posts. Seems like he just got here too.
Zygote
TMO's Member
quote:
that sounds like the funniest thing since that time when the man in the audience sneezed.

It was. But not quite as funny as the time when that fat bloke farted while Stephen Hendry was taking his shot. Those were the days...

[ 26.04.2007, 11:50: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
are you sure it wasn't a bear you killed, ralph?

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+