Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » ARE YOU FIT (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: ARE YOU FIT
kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 

Luke: I...I thought I was in shape!

Yoda: By whose standards, ask I!

Gang!
I REMEMBER THE days when Omnikin used to ask me round his house -- and how I'd sneak an admiring glance at his racks of heavy weights! Stripping off a trendy tee just slowly enough to be socially acceptable, he would deliberately get it caught for a few seconds as it went over his head -- allowing me precious moments to envy his sculpted torso.

Fitness!
THAT'S WHAT IT'S all about these days, isn't it? I caught London's column on here recently and found her putting forward the provocative argument that "dopamine", that's the chemical released thru exercise, was the new drug of choice for society gals in their 30s! Carter frequently finds himself unable to post more than a few words because his arms are trembling from Heavy Weights. Teflon, we hear, plays regular rugby! Physic wrestles! Stefanos fights! Thorn puts his wrists through marathon sessions playing "computer games".

WE ALL PRACTICE fitness in our different ways, don't we. But how much do you do? And do you feel better for it?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

LIKE LUKE, I thought I wasn't entirely unfit. Since espying myself in the full-length mirror of a Llandudno boarding-house in August 2002, and realising I looked like the prime catch in a 1930s Geo Orwell essay on "The Worst English Beach-Goers" -- fat yet skinny, palely bulging and whitely puny at once, missing only the knotted handkerchief on my nog that would have made me suited to a saucy picture postcard of the henpecked hubby -- since that point I have taken more action to take care of my physique, thru diet and exercise.

NOT TO EXTREMES, of course -- my main powers lie in the mind! But mens sana in corpore sano, &c. I generally do 20 mins with what are probably Light Weights (15lb barbells) and "Floor Work" every morning. Plus an hour of Football once a week, and on another day of the week, 45 mins of Dance Aerobics from a DVD.

NOT A GREAT deal, but I assume it's rather better than nothing, and my body certainly doesn't look as repugnant.

HOWEVER, TODAY I went to Boxaerobics and was put through H__l by a pro fighter down in Crofton Park for an hour -- after the first 15 minutes I thought my heart was going to chest-burst like in Alien, and I only got a tiny bit of respite because I simply cannot skip, and so fumbled lamely with a rope during that session.

BACK AT HOME I felt like a bag of biscuits in one of those recipes where you put the biscuits in a bag and beat them with a rolling pin.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

SO I AM clearly facing a new challenge. But at least I did it, for an hour.

your turn! don't make me feel really bad, but are you a lot fitter than me? or, by some merciful chance, are you less fit?

--------------------
member #28

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
I get out of breath running up stairs and driving makes me sweat.

I'm pretty far from anything that could be described as fit. Sure under the slick layer of blubber, I've got muscles but they don't really do much other than look vaguely pretty when I flex them. And even then it's only in the best possible light and I'll never take my t-shirt off in company. And if I do that, and look in the mirror, I'm saddened by what I see. The worst is looking into the mirror completely naked. Years of wearing jeans with non-elastic waistbands, has sculpted the fat into a permanent overhang, retaining the shape of the trousers even after they've been taken off.

So yes, I have some issues with body image. I have these kind of fat man breasts that are hairy and wobble if I move too fast. Across the top of my stomach is a horizontal red line where I sit in a chair and my beer gut creases along the top. My ass.... well I wont even begin to describe my ass, such is the torment I'm sure I'v already put you through.

But all is not lost. For with a little reduction in my usual shit food intake (involving cutting out crisps and chocolate bars) and trying to reduce my carbs a bit and eat more protien and vits and suchlike, it does seem as if I'm actually getting slightly healthier. Actually, I'm not even bothered about looking healthy. I'm consumed by a narcisistic desire to look good. I don't give a fuck if I can't run a marathon, so long as I look good naked.

eople, fitness people, have always told me I've got a fantastic frame. I'm not totally sure what that means. They say things about me being broad and having a solid bone structure. They say that if I started doing cardio stuff, the fat would disappear and my muscles would tighten and become like steel cables under my skin, and that's all well and good but I can't afford to go to a gym. My mates are all fucking useless and have no desire to do anything remotely energetic (by the time we've actually decided on some sporty passtime, it's far too late to do it) so what am I left with?

Well I guess I'm left with my work and my life in general. You see it's not like I don't have the chance to do anything at all. My job involves lots of walking and carrying etc etc and that all adds up. When I go to the shops, I could easily walk rather than jump in the car. If I wanted to be a total spod, I could buy some gay dance workout vid like Kovacs. So my options aren't totally limited and my diet can be improved.

So why, when I can sit here and type this all out in the space of ten minutes, can't I actually do any of it?

I'm seriously interested and if anyone knows the solution, I'd love to hear it.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Across the top of my stomach is a horizontal red line where I sit in a chair and my beer gut creases along the top.

Ooh, I get that. I feel all gay from recognition. But I suspect I just have terrible posture rather than a huge gut -- it's more like a deflated pushbike inner tube, disgusting to me but not technically huge.

quote:
If I wanted to be a total spod, I could buy some gay dance workout vid like Kovacs.

I'm seriously interested and if anyone knows the solution, I'd love to hear it.

I think you just provided the solution yourself...friend.

THANKS FOR REPLYING!

--------------------
member #28

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
dude you brought it upon yourself. my mind caught this image of you in some sort of pink lycra leotard thing, with white sweatbands on the wrists and forehead, doing some sort of dancerobics thang, with little pink dumbells... how could this image be gayer, even if you had a little steroidal acorn penis bulge in your pink jumpsuit?

I'm sorry, I'll let your thread get some proper replies before I go and spoil it all for you..

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
Its all about motivation, and making the process of going to the gym as hassle free as possible so as to minimise the scope for making excuses to yourself for not going. For example I used to find that by going to a gym that was on my way home from work, I'd go far more often than if going invloved a detour in my journey. Like I say motivation is key as well, its no good trying to force yourself into it if your heart isn't in it, you need to set a target (weight loss, shapely stomach, whatever works for you) and focus on it, so that you have something to gauge your performance on.

The hardest part is the first few weeks, when your body aches as it adapts to the new regime and you haven't yet seen many results. Once you first start to notice results it makes an enormous difference, and suddenly motivation isn't nearly as hard to come by.

Speaking personally I'm not as fit as I used to be, as I've mentioned previously my back problems rather restrict what I can get away with these days, but I'm still stronger than most of my friends and although I have a slight beer gut, I certainly don't hide from the mirror. Up until a couple of years ago I used to be pretty fit, gym 3 times a week and the occasional game of football, I didn't have a beer-gut and was apparently "f*cking huge" (a friend's words). Takes a fair amount of dedication to get a 'ripped' physique, not just hard work in the gym but discipline in your diet, to get the 'chiselled' look you need low bodyfat, something I've never managed, largely due to a love of beer.

Like I say, motivation is the key, if you can get a friend to go with you and have set times to go it makes it a lot easier, it's less embarassing to make excuses to yourself than to make them to a friend...

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
I:
  • drink heavily (half to full bottle of wine a day)
  • smoke heavily (over 20 a day)
  • have done no exercise, apart from climbing a big ice mountain in March (in pyjamas!), for as long as I can remember

I sometimes wonder if I suffer from hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating), but I have to remember that I live somewhere excruciatingly hot in summer, and am terribly unfit. Either way, I seem to sweat more than anyone else I know, to the extent that I can soak a shirt in a matter of seconds if I'm not careful. This is not attractive. Neither is my considerable beer belly (which is called Humphrey, for reasons lost in the "mists of time"). It's a shame, because I'm sure that if I did something about it all, well, I'd look considerably more attractive, though whether I'd actually be "happier" is something I'm not sure about. Vanity or health? I don't know.

I remember Modge saying something once about beer being a serious contributor to the (it sounds obvious but I'd never thought about it before) beer belly, and I have recently cut down on the cervezas to the extent that, while not looking any different, I feel a lot less bloated most of the time.

To sum up: I am very, very unfit, and have a gut, and am aware of both quite a lot of the time.

I also have ginger hair, but there's nothing I can do about that.

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
Hideously unfit - my remaining stamina is a pale reminder of the deeds of my youth.

However, since I took the decision to cut down on beer and do a few isometric type thingies, I feel better about the way my body looks.

I did surprise myself by a recent display of mad rowing (3 minutes sustained, on one of those cool rowing machines) where I still whupped the ass of many fitter people than myself, but fuck me, I felt like my legs were going to fall off and spots were flashing before my eyes. Not generally a good indication of fitness.

That changes this summer.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Calliope
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Calliope           Edit/Delete Post 
I am:

25, an ex-smoker (7 years - gave up in Feb) and I'm in the process of trying to get myself fitter....

After giving up smoking I found my shapely bits were getting a bit more shapely than I was actually happy with. My favourite chipie jeans no longer fitted and that was the trigger...

So I've tried to alter my diet. I eat as much veg as possible and have almost completely given up on processed convenience food.

I did a 3 week stint of exercise - aquaerobics 3 times a week and cycling on days when I wasnt at the pool. But alas it was shortlived. I just havent got the internal 'get up and go' motivation to do that much exercise and have been making excuses left right and centre for the last 3 weeks.

However, due to the diet change, my favourite jeans fit lovely and until my motivation perks up again thats enough for me

Bob
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
I joined the "jim" a couple of months ago out of anger frustration and pure abject misery at my situation. I wasn't fat, I was unfit and really upset with myself.
I wouldn't by any means say I was fat, but i do have a little way to go to get a six pack. Its currently a four pack.
I run, swim and lift weights. Though running is getting downright dangerous due to my knees being old and bent. On a good day i can do 5-6 k in about 30 minutes. On a bad day i can barely run for 1 k. I prefer swimming but find that 90% of my energy is directed towards keeping me afloat.
Football would be great but the last time we had a team together we played 5, won 1 drew 1 lost 3. The last match we had a fight brewing every three minutes, so we decided to stop.
So am I fitter than you?
Dunno, you'd probably run faster than me. However I would like to point out that I recently achieved second place in the Old Trafford 5am 400m . With my mate in first and the pack of wolves chasing us well in last place. And that my learned friend is a true test of fitness.

--------------------
and the porpoise was waving "goodbye goodbye"

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an ex-smoker too. I gave up two years ago and now only succoumb to the evil weed when I'm out on the lash. I still feel like a smoker, though: as in, if people ask me if I smoke, I say "no, but I used to. 20 a day, me" rather than just "no".

Fitness wise, I started going to the gym three times a week last October, and I can now, with a clear conscience, describe some parts of my body as being "lean" and "toned" - my limbs - though my tummy is still defiantly squishy and soft, despite a concerted campaign of sit ups and crunches and the like. I do think it might have shrunk a little, though. I also walk for about an hour a day, to and from work, and in recent months I've felt a lot more sprightly.

Although it is nice to be able to wear sleeveless tops and shorter skirts without worrying about rolls of fat bouncing around in full view, the main reason I exercise is so that I can eat what I like, and don't have to spend every day in an obsessive mess about it. Food is right up there in my "top five best things about being alive" list; indeed, in a quiz in "web" a while back, I think I said I'd rather go without good sex than good food. So. If I didn't go to the gym, I'd probably weigh about 20 stone by now.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
So am I fitter than you?
Dunno, you'd probably run faster than me.

Probably not. I was only ever any good at 100 and 200 metres and I'm pretty terrible at running now.

Re. exercise, my "gut" feeling would be that it's better to pick a routine you can reasonably stick to even when you don't want to, ie. to be modest about it rather than totally changing your lifestyle. So my 45 mins gay DVD and now my 1 hour boxaerobics may not have a huge effect, but at least I have been able to keep that commitment: I have been doing the former for 8 months once a week, which to my mind is better than doing it 5 times a week for January only. (Erm. Do the math! I might be wrong.)

Re. diet, I know a fellow who has slimmed down from huge to large through eating just fish and steaks, without potatoes and pasta. I presume this is cutting out "carbs". Sounds expensive and slightly inconvenient, but also quite pleasant. I have been following the Modge diet of trying to eat what a slim and fit girl eats every day.

--------------------
member #28

Bob
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
fuck it next meet, sometime whenever, we should have tmo sports day.

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: Bob ]

--------------------
and the porpoise was waving "goodbye goodbye"

mart
I'll go in goal.
kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
dude you brought it upon yourself. my mind caught this image of you in some sort of pink lycra leotard thing, with white sweatbands on the wrists and forehead, doing some sort of dancerobics thang, with little pink dumbells... how could this image be gayer, even if you had a little steroidal acorn penis bulge in your pink jumpsuit?

What if I had bells on the wristbands?

--------------------
member #28

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought I didn't used to do much exercise, but now I think about it, I did. And thinking back to how much I used to do and how much I do now, depresses the fuck out of me.

Pre-uni, I used to play squash for about three or four hours a week. Kept that up for around 3 years. At university I did fuck all exercise, and took up smoking and began drinking heavily. Ate mountains of pasta and pizza. Got fat.

Post-uni, went to the gym three times a week for about two years. Initially this was because I was living at home, and my dad bullied me into it. When i got this job, and moved away from home I immediately joined a gym so I'd have something to do in the evenings when I wasn't in the pub. I used to go around three times a week. That petered out when I started going out with Lisa, and came to an end completely when I bought a PC. Since then (about two and a half years) I haven't done any regular exercise, and am getting fat again.

I'm not sure I notice the difference on a day to day basis. The sudden, suffocating bouts of morose depression were as frequent in my 'exercise' days as they are now, as is the feeling of lethargy and the slow sinking feeling of my dreams and aspirations, withering, growing mould and turning into a flaking, choking dust has been an undercurrent for as far back as I can remember. I've got more money, since I've cancelled my gym membership meaning I can take Rose to the proms and stuff like that. She says she prefers me with a little more weight around the midriff, too. Plus, I shake less, making it less obvious when I'm nervous, which used to be a big problem for me. It's like the extra weight has slowed me down a little to normal speed.

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

pyrrho
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for pyrrho           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:

the main reason I exercise is so that I can eat what I like, and don't have to spend every day in an obsessive mess about it. Food is right up there in my "top five best things about being alive" list; indeed, in a quiz in "web" a while back, I think I said I'd rather go without good sex than good food. So. If I didn't go to the gym, I'd probably weigh about 20 stone by now.[/QB]

This is me. Although, I believe that the combination diet of lots of food and lots of sex works extremely effectively. The best of both worlds....

--------------------
not from concentrate.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
God, this had to coincide with my having a flab moment in the shower this morning.

My stern New Year Resoultion to Get Fit! (sub clause involving arms like Madonna and a midriff like Britney as I recall) has flapped limply, sighed and died. I've been swimming twice this year. Half hearted early morning sit-ups and vague arm exercises involving baked bean tins pretending to be serious weights have not had the desired effect.

I used to go riding regularly as a teenager, and spend Saturdays hauling hay bales and wheelbarrows full of horseshit around, so I guess I was fairly fit then. The fittest would probably be the summer I worked in Colorado, with hiking and mountain climbing and all sorts of outdoors healthful activity.

I'm 25 and my youthful bloom is fading and sagging. I feel I should do something about this, but I genuinely don't have much time, what with OU studies and all. I absolutely refuse to join a gym out of principle. I suppose I should start going swimming regularly, or go cycling again. I quite like the idea of kovacs' gaydance DVD, but the thought of dithering over that section of the shop fills me with shame. I also don't own any trainers or sporting atire.

Why can't I be rich and famous and have my own personal trainer and stylist and everything?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
What is fit though ?

Are we talking muscle or fitness ? There is a difference.

I used to be fit; oh boy did I used to be fit.
I used the Gym 3 to 4 times a week, I cycled on a daily basis and at weekends covering distances of up to 30 or 40 miles in a matter of a few hours, I swam every Sunday afternoon and was to be as honest as I can be in great shape.

Through that entire period I smoked and drank and it had no effect on my overall fitness.

Perhaps it was to do with a very ‘fit’ childhood. As a lad I was an accomplished gymnast, a reasonable long distance swimmer (5 miles plus) and a reasonable high diver.
This shaped my body into what it was, a lean machine, no fat and capable of twisting and bending into bizarre positions or keeping up sustained exercise for a prolonged period.

But no real muscle..

I’m short, I know it.

I’m 5.7 in my stocking feet so being beefy and muscle-bound really isn’t a good idea, short bodybuilders tend to start to look like dwarves as they soon become wider across than they seem to be high, so I was never going to be a hunk, but I was sculpted enough to get admiring looks from some ladies and I was happy with myself..

That all lasted up until about 1999…

I still cycle on a daily basis, I still use free weights to maintain some tone and definition but have started to notice the onset of what I can only call an expansion in my body mass.
My waist size had gone up three inches, from a 30 to a 33 and I had a band of tubby fat just around the middle. It’s no beer gut, and it’s not a massive wobbly mass of lard at the front either, it’s just a general build up of years of red meat and dumplings.

We all change in body size and shape as we get older and there’s precious little we can do about it.

For a wee while during the Cancer year I got fat, or rather fatter than I ever had been. I think this was due to my sedentary lifestyle brought on by illness. Being tired and eating what I liked took its toll on my body and on my general fitness. I didn’t like it.
So since I’ve been feeling up to it I’ve been back on my bike, using my weights and eating a low fat, semi vegetarian diet and have now gone down to a 32 waist, perked up my pecs and started work on moving the mass of mulch around my waist. And it’s not been too hard at all.

I think once you’ve been in shape getting back into shape isn’t too hard, the problem is getting into shape in the first place. My body is slowly reverting back to the state I want it in, the state it was in say 8 years ago.

I get out of breath now and again whilst exercising, but I put that down to the last year and being ill, but it’s almost as if my body is made of a silly putty that will no matter how stretched, how squished or how deformed always attempt to return to it’s previous state when treated kindly.

I certainly will be encouraging my kids to lead a active life and be as fit as possible during their childhood as I believe it helps and builds some sort of blueprint for a healthy future..

I know that one day it’ll give up the ghost and that nature will just take over, but till then I’ll keep eating as well as I can, getting moderate exercise and trying to look after it.

Eight years ago I looked like this and will again, oh yes I will again…

(I was 28 almost 29 in the pic - So in answer to your question Kovacs, how old are you now ? Because at 28/29 I was pretty damn fit)

Even if as many of you have pointed out in the past my torse does look rather like Homer Simpson.

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Gemini
I don't know much about oral sex at all
 - posted      Profile for Gemini           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:
the main reason I exercise is so that I can eat what I like, and don't have to spend every day in an obsessive mess about it. Food is right up there in my "top five best things about being alive" list; indeed, in a quiz in "web" a while back, I think I said I'd rather go without good sex than good food. So. If I didn't go to the gym, I'd probably weigh about 20 stone by now.

LOL this is so me.

Last week I got told that my butt could provide a pillow for 7-8 people..........

I go thru stages sometimes I hit the gym 5 times a week for a long period, I feel good, I look good, I eat like a horse and put on no weight. Then something happens such as a holiday or Xmas so I miss a few weeks and suddenly I haven't been for months and I am umm a bit "softer" in places due to the fact I am still eating like a horse. This depresses me and eventually spurs me back into the gym for another round of fitness. I find having goals helps such as the fact I am running the Nike 10K again, not a long distance for most people but for someone who thinks running is the work of the devil it's a goal.

so in answer to your question Kovacs about whether I am fitter than you, it depends which month we are talking about.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Horrendously out of shape but not about start going to the gym again.
Did this for a while like two years ago when I had reached a similar degree of lardiness, and was finding similarly hard to maintain the level of hedonism I like to.
After the 5 day session that was New Years 2000 I stopped drinking and smoking for about a month and started regular gym activities several times a week which I managed to keep up for about 5 months, and got in pretty good shape, noticing that I had more energy and felt genreally less ill, funny that.
Unfortunately although I love excercise, the way it makes me feel afterwards, that lovely dopamine rush, having a good sweat, I cannot get round the fact that I fucking hate the gym. apart from the fact that they're full of stick thin women who seem to think that zero bodyfat is not enough and zero flesh is the next goal, neckless bodybuilders who seem to think they are in some way superior to you because they can lift heavy things repeatedly (I'm sorry I have better things to do), countless poseurs, and endless patronising and deluded assistants (no I don't want to use the fucking weight machines mate, no I don't want to develop my upper body, I want to do an hour of cardio on three different machines that I don't have room for at home and then fuck off out of this living hell), I find the gym really boring.
So I find motivating myself to go to the gym slightly difficult.
I have similar problems with the various martial arts classes I've done over the years in that I always end up leaving because I feel they're training people to be hard and fight rather than be fit, healthy, centered, and know how to defend themselves.
I also hate runners, and my knees are a bit fucked, so that's not likely either.
So I'm buying myself a BMX (ah nostalgia), starting swimming, and once I've got myself in a bit better shape some Capoeira (it's cool, it's a martial art and dance, and lots of ladies go).

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I quite like the idea of kovacs' gaydance DVD, but the thought of dithering over that section of the shop fills me with shame. I also don't own any trainers or sporting atire.

I have to reassure you on this.

1. If I, a fella, can go into Virgin Megastore in the first week of January -- thus risking bonus new year resolution, is it? that won't last smirks from till-boys -- and buy Helen Adams' Dance Workout, so can you!

2. I bought my second DVD, Tracy Shaw's Salsacize, off of Amazon.

3. You may not enjoy seeing Tracy's scarlet bra -- a pleasure ruined for me by the shots on Robbb's Celebs of her in the nude -- but she is aided by a really fit man.

4. If you do it at home, why do you need any sporting attire? You can do it in your pants, if Thorn is out.

--------------------
member #28

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Or if I'm in. I don't have a problem with that.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
I have to reassure you on this.

Why not try:

Billy Blanks Tai-Bo(sp) for a more macho, crouching tiger, hidden dragon, wax on, wax off cardiovascular workout that doesn't seem too 'gay'.

Pilates - This is good for flexability and sex (or so I'm told/trying to find out)

OR

A Yoga fitness video. Look as though you are not only fit, but also in touch with your inner peace.

Buy them all at Amazon.. No need to leave your house ever..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Vogon Poetess

Thank you for your kind encouragement, kovacs.

Is it possible to purchase one that doesn't feature a vile, tarty, halfwitted-grinning D-list ex-Corrie/BB harpy?

And what about this yoga thing? It doesn't look too exhausting, but quite slim and toned people seem to do it. Does it make you happy about your shit life as well?

Edit: oh yes, Darryn, I saw the tai bo vid at my mate's. Shocking.

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: Vogon Poetess ]

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Or if I'm in. I don't have a problem with that.

If the confused icon didn't exist, I feel they would have had to invent it for Thorn's sexual attitudes.

L@@K what Salsacize can achieve for puny arms! Here's my puny bicep.

edit: if the bottom-left corner looks poorly photoshopped -- it does, it does! -- it's because I took out a chair. THAT IS ALL!

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can do it in your pants, if Thorn is out.

Kovacs: how cruel of you to suggest that Vogon has no need for a sports bra.

Vogon Poetess

lol.

Yeah, sports bras, how do they work? Are the cups more rigid, or the straps made of steel or what?

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:

And what about this yoga thing? It doesn't look too exhausting, but quite slim and toned people seem to do it. Does it make you happy about your shit life as well?

I've been sneaking peeks at D.O's Pilates video.. It looks so sedate and nice, strech here, bend here, hold it, hold it.. Hold IT.

And relax....

Had a quick go myself too, hahhahahahahaha ! I though, piece or piss. NOPE/WRONG it looks easy, it seems easy, but boy do you hurt after. Does tone you up though, really it does.

Give Pilates a go VP...

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

mart
quote:
it's because I took out a chair.

With one Benlike punch, I hope.

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by London:
Kovacs: how cruel of you to suggest that Vogon has no need for a sports bra.

London, this is that thread I was promising to start "for you" -- get to it!

--------------------
member #28

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:

We really need to see that in perspective y'know.. Otherwise it can't be judged.

Giz a full body shot of the Prof to stick on Hot or Not

--------------------

kovacs

The answer would be "Not", natch, but I'd do it if everyone else did. And pictures of you now, Darryn -- not in your prime-meat phase.

--------------------
member #28

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway. Let's see. Never did any exercise classes apart from hockey and all that crap at school till I went to Mexico. All that pinpba-pinmba marimba music was driving me mad, so me and my friend Steff decided to check out some aerobics classes for pumping house beat action. Not that I even realised I liked dance music until then. I was a bona fide indie kid. But somehow I needed mAd bEaTz to counteract the xylophones.

We'd go to classes and trounce around till we were beetroot in the face, then buy loads of Haribo Panditas and litres of strawberry Tango, and sit around smoking fags and planning our lessons for the next day. It was acez.

When I got back from travelling I wanted more. More house music. More dancing! I discovered E, and pills then were so strong that you could do one on the Saturday and still feel its traces at your Wednesday night class. That, combined with a dystentry-toned slimness, led to six-times a week classes and free weights at home and a diet comrised of 75% raw food. I felt fucking amazing. I'd bound out of bed each morning with glee and gusto.

Unfortunately Jake was starving to death. Our domestic arrangement of the time involved me cooking and him cleaning, and he, being a strapping six-foot young male, could not deal with the concept of a baked potato being a 'treat'. The diet was off: slowly, the gym thrill fell off too.

In 2001 the gym was inches from my house, and I met my favourite teacher ever, a spaghetti-thin gaylord called Skinny Mike, with the most intricate classes I've ever seen. My abiding love of Step aerobics is countered by the fact that I have a bizarre talent for it - surely the most useless talent a girl could ever have, I'd much rather be able to tie a cherry stalk in a knot with my tongue - so a class that features basic step, the occasional turn step and - whoo - REPEATERS just doesn't do it for me. But Skinny Mike fulfilled all my needs; and the weights were there for afters. The highlight of my exercise life involved a dinner with my sisters. I went to the turntable to change the music, lifting my arm, and my sister said, in a stunned, shocked voice:

AMP - you're - you're... TONED!!!!

It didn't last. I broke up with my boyfriend, lost my home, my job, all my money and security, and my beautiful gym inches from my house. Where Skinny Mike is now I do not know. And there is no Skinny Mike at my new gym, just some fairly low-grade Step classes - but at least they're hardcore. You sweat like a bastard and suck down litres of water, your face an embarrassing red: so not a good look with ginger hair. I love it. Losing yourself in music and movement - the sentences in your head reduced from litanies of self-hate and confusion and aspiration and lust into numbers, counting reps to the beat - right now it's the only freedom I know.

We'll see how long it lasts.

[ 10 July 2003: Message edited by: London ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Y'know..

In the world of bodybuilding my calves were the stuff of legend..

--------------------

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by London:
the sentences in your head reduced from litanies of self-hate and confusion and aspiration and lust into numbers, counting reps to the beat

I take this point. One of the few positive aspects of my hour with "Gus" yesterday was the way all other concerns seemed trivial compared with the one intense wish for it all to end.

--------------------
member #28

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+