Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » Boys and Girls (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Boys and Girls
Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post 
1.Name 3 things you like about being your own gender

2.Name 3 things you dislike about being your own gender

3.Name 3 things you think you would like about being the opposite gender

4.Name 3 things you think you would dislike about being the opposite gender

Simple!

Points For

Female

I like having the choice of clothing, hairstyles, make-up etc that I think I have as a woman.

I like the fact that I have the potential to become a mother/give birth

I enjoy the relationships I have with other women, and the fact that I can communicate in ways and about subjects that I feel I couldn't if I were a man.

I dislike the fact that I am conditioned into not feeling safe if I am out alone, especially at night.

I dislike the fact that I could still be paid less than a male colleague for doing the same job.

I dislike the way that I think I will be treated as a middle-aged and older woman.

Male

I think I would like being physically stronger/having different physical abilities if I were a man.

I think I would feel more at ease socially - being able to go into a pub alone, for example, without feeling incredibly out of place.

I can't think of a third thing right now...

I would dislike the lack (I think, compared to women) of communication I would have in my friendships.

I would dislike the fact that I could go bald as I got older.

I would dislike the fact that I think people ("society") has low expectations of men, particularly of young men, in terms of behaviour, hygiene, manners, crime etc.

[ 30 June 2003: Message edited by: Modge ]

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Modge:

it woldbe..., the chilldes!

scarke game
i donont like to be COLDE!

edit -- smike ubb

[ 30 June 2003: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Modge, I think you are confusing "men" with "X-men".
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dislike the fact that I could still be paid less than a male colleague for doing the same job.

Hey, it's not our fault, it's yours...

EDIT:
Wrong link...

[ 30 June 2003: Message edited by: sabian ]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Modge
Too cool to post
I am also glad I am not a man as it would seem to render me incapable of answering a thread properly.
kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Hey, it's not our fault, it's yours...

I will answer properly tomorrow. For now, I'll just make it look like Modge's thread is "successful" in post count terms.

edit -- my ubb is wanksta

[ 30 June 2003: Message edited by: kovacs ]

--------------------
member #28

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:

I will answer properly tomorrow. For now, I'll just make it look like Modge's thread is "successful" in post count terms.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
Today I will listen to a compilation tape of different mixes of subculture. By way of reaearch - though I suspect that mart and kovacs are both! right.

This is what I like about being a man. I don't know any women who would be fastidious enough to compile a mix tape especially to settle a music argument. I also like that I was able to look under 'n for neworder' in my cd/lp collections to find the records. I am delirious with joy that when I open the cd case, I find in there the correct cdalbum not madonna gh2 or something.

I think that's three things I like about male. I will think about the other parts of the question.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I don't like about being male - spending the best part of two hours making a car compilation, that I will then studiously forget.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Male

Being able to succesfully interact with technology esp. in relation to rigging up stereos and home cinema, and being able to tell the difference between a decent separates system and a 15 year old ghetto blaster with 5 watt speakers.

Watching and understanding films at a basic plot level, without having to ask "who was that?" "Who are they?" or afterwards saying "I don't remember that" with regard to a vital plot point that took up 40 minutes of screentime.

A genuine love and affection for hairy men playing instruments loud. I appreciate that more and more women are into metal these days but a) metal's getting 'softer', and b) I doubt that they relate to it as passionately as a man could.

dislike

The feeling of guilt that comes with being a man, that somehow all the wrongness of the world is a factor of your condition. I'm not sure whether this is drummed into me by the likes of Germaine Greer, or me tapping into the collective unconscious

Being a slave to women. Becoming a gurgling sycophantic spastic even when there is no chance of any kind of sexual congress or partnership of any kind, yet still turning into a drooling eager-to-please puppy.

A subtle yet tangible weight of expectation, as though I will be expected to provide for my family should my partner choose it to be so.

Female

would likes

The power - the flip side of the enslavement thing.

The clothes. There's very few items of mens clothing that can produce the jaw dropping impact of even the simplest items of female clothing, such as a vest top or a pair of hipsters. When you ramp up the artillery, with knee length boots and skirts, the effect can be devastating.

The emotional engagement. One of VP's friends is the ultimate embodiment of the feminine trait of being able to empathise with almost anyone in any situation. She is gripped by adverts, and any minidrama unfolding in front of her. While I acknowledge that this is an extreme example, even the most stone-hearted of females (Vogon Poetess) can shed a tear at the movies (she cried at the end of Leon).

Would Dislike

The staring. Man that would piss me off (of course I realise that I'm writing this from the perspective of being an attractive female, but you'll have to forgive me as those are the only ones I actually perceive, anyway).

The culture. It's like, 90% of the films in my DVD collection are primarily about men. I'd wanna watch films about me. And not Winona Ryder sewing a quilt, either. You'd have to look so much harder for decent cinema that reflected your fantasies and insecurities and even then I bet most of it would be shit.

The social life. God, I'd hate to have to go through the motions of a 'girls night out'. Everytime I hear a description of them, they sound like a tedious exercise in letchery, flirtation, squawking laughter and unfunny jokes, all geared towards some kind of phony empowerment in a kind of "Look! We can have fun like the boys!" as they attempt to define themselves as 'modern women'.

kovacs

Being physically taller and stronger than all women I come across in everyday life -- that is, than half the people I ever deal with socially. I sometimes look at women and think, these people are like a different breed to me, like hobbits or something; they're all so little and I can always see the tops of their heads. This makes me feel a certain degree of power and affection. Social contentment shouldn't come down to whether, ultimately, you could have physical power over someone -- and even mine doesn't come down to that, but on a primitive level, it does play a part. Like whoever it was who posted that they'd realised they were a "Big Guy", with a superhuman ability of being physically tough-looking. I'm sure people like LowLevel and Physic also get a certan reassurance and even pleasure from the fact that they could "have" most people they meet, and that those people, on a deep level, know it.

Sartorial conservatism. Now, it may be countered that I seem sartorially conservative anyway -- 90% of my wardrobe is in the same narrow band of the spectrum, from "slate" to "soot" -- but as a similar type of woman I would still have a great deal more potential for expressing subtle variation. Being socially allowed to come into work with your eyes looking markedly different from yesterday, or an inch taller, or having a skirt length that says something, is a semiotic language that I am excluded from as a man. And those were obviously just very minor examples of the vocabulary women have access to through hair, dress and make-up. I think this potential for hugely varied disguise and expression is one of women's most important and enjoyable advantages in contemporary Western society. Oh yes, girls can say "but men wear skirts," but frankly, this is patronising ballz.

I just covered the most important one.

And as above -- the feeling that whatever my social status, my achievements, my money, my intelligence, as a woman I am still likely to be physically weaker than almost every man I meet, and am vulnerable on that fundamental level.

You only did one for each category, Kovacs.

I did, I did...but you know, one can always come back to something and make the thread last.

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

Supplementary question. If you could, by magick -- that's how you spell it these days, I think!? -- swop sex with ME for a week:

would any women on here do so.

I shan't be offended if you say no, but I would be interested.

--------------------
member #28

Bob
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
[QB]1.Name 3 things you like about being your own gender
1) facial hair is acceptable and often encouraged.
2) its seen as a good thing to get drunk and fall over.
3) aspergers syndrome is cool when your obsessions are trainers and records.

1) walking the streets at night, seeing lone females and having to walk faster to get in front. or cross over. because you're concerned for their mental state.
2) random acts of senseless violence for little more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
3) the y chromosome. if i've got a defective sex-linked gene. i get the trait cf colourblindness.

1) multiple organisms
2) being able to say "i like justin timberlake" without having to say "the production is amazing" quickly after it.
3) having better handwriting.

1) cavemen
2) babies/pregnancy stopping career.
3) periods

--------------------
and the porpoise was waving "goodbye goodbye"

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to be a girl

Girly Things. It’s ok for Dirty Dancing to be your favourite film. You can buy poetry with impunity. You can wear all colours, especially pink.

Other girls. Proper long phone chats. Birthdays remembered. Girls’ Nights Out; not the shrieking horror of Hen Nights, but girls having fun without boys. Shopping.

I can’t think of anything else.

Bad to be a girl

Menstruation. The fact that your body essentially betrays you for 25% of your adult life. Expense, inconvenience and general shiteness. Linked to this is the fact that being a girl means you must automatically like babies, and if you don’t want to have them, hold them or hear about their teething problems means you are abnormal and to be pitied.

Other girls. The evil that is the diet industry is perpetuated by women competing with other women. Celebrity magazines that are bought by women to sneer at the fashion disasters and cellulite of other women. Psychological bullying.

Extremes. If I don’t fancy you I must be a lezzer. I’m either a slag or frigid. If I have a career I’m selfish and greedy and a bad mother. If I stay at home I’m boring and repressed. The whole Miss/Mrs thing

Good and bad to be a boy

You can piss standing up. Large amounts of casual sex make you a better person. Having a deeper voice instantly makes you sound more authoritative.

The waiter automatically assumes you are paying. If you hold the door open you’re an old fashioned chauvinist; if you don’t hold it open you’re rude. Shite such as Loaded and FHM is aimed at you.

I would be interested to see what it was like to be a bloke for a week. If we swapped though kovacs, I think I would be getting the better deal.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Name 3 things you like about being your own gender
My trousers are old and worn. I need a new pair. I am a 32 waist. Those are nice. Thanks. This simplicity of process applies to everything I like best about men

Camaraderie

Innate desire to take things apart / build things

2. Name 3 things you dislike about being your own gender
Inability to handle emotions / alcohol often results in violence

Phenomenal crapness around the home. Grotesque vestiges of sexism. I put up a shelf every six months. She does the washing every day. Balls am I changing a nappy. Etc

Innate desire to take things apart / build things

3. Name 3 things you think you would like about being the opposite gender
Showers

Breastfeeding (This is supposed to represent the whole ‘mothering’ thing. That closeness)

Power

4. Name 3 things you think you would dislike about being the opposite gender
Living life on the edge of an emotional precipice

Inability to run or throw

Having to touch every garment in every shop twice before buying something that I think makes my back look fat.

kovacs

Thanks, VP; I would accept that trade. Although it would involve living with Thorn, wouldn't it.

Actually my most successful ever Handbag thread -- ie. it actually got lengthy and thoughtful answers -- was called Bodyswap and asked in detail what I would get if I traded lives with the forum women for the day, and vice versa.

I do find the idea quite fascinating, in terms of the specifics I would encounter.

--------------------
member #28

Modge
Too cool to post
quote:
Originally posted by 69 Comeback Elvis:
3. Name 3 things you think you would like about being the opposite gender

Showers

Power

What do you mean? What kind of showers? What kind of power?

kovacs

Power showers. Really, you are dull.

--------------------
member #28

Zoophagous Patient
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Zoophagous Patient           Edit/Delete Post 
1.Name 3 things you like about being your own gender.

1) Being able to show my emotions.
2) Being able to change how I look at times with the aid of makeup/hair colourants etc.
3) That mother & child thing - it's deep man.

1) Queues in the ladies toilets.

2) Being labelled a slag if you've had a fair number of partners whilst men are just good ole boys if they've done the same.

3) The way in which others seem to pigeonhole women solely on how they appear physically.

3.Name 3 things you think you would like about being the opposite gender.

1) VP said it first but being able to take a piss standing up (and therefore making it quick which means no queues in the gents).

2) Being able to get up in the morning and spend exactly 5 minutes getting ready.

3) Getting genuinely excited by sports cars & knowing the offside rule.

4.Name 3 things you think you would dislike about being the opposite gender.

1) Getting 'desky' in inappropriate situations - the evidence is there for all to see.

2) Possible back/shoulder hair.

3) Not being able to show emotions.

--------------------
Justin de Villeneuve is my friend

Calliope
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Calliope           Edit/Delete Post 

Versatility of looks I agree with.

Not feeling under pressure to go out with the lads, drink 10 pints of Stella and still be awake/coherent/upright at the end of the evening.

I love shopping and can spend hours doing it. Makes xmas and birthdays a breeze which is something my better half struggles with endlessly year after year.

The general pain thing. Periods, childbirth, water infections etc etc.

Receiving condescending attitudes if you take an interest in anything remotely male orientated like Football, Motorsport, Pints.

The money and effort involved in looking nice - Waxing, plucking, colouring, make up, exercise etc etc

Being able to pee anywhere, anytime...

Not being able to go gooey over puppies, kittens and babies

Being crap at shopping

Being expected to fix things

Cant think of anymore!

kovacs

Not to get "heavy", but

quote:
Originally posted by Zoophagous Patient:

3) Getting genuinely excited by sports cars & knowing the offside rule.

Do you think this applies to most men, and do you think your life is lacking without it? I don't have either quality and I wouldn't say I miss them.

quote:
3) Not being able to show emotions.

And do you really think this is true?

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by Calliope:
Not feeling under pressure to go out with the lads, drink 10 pints of Stella and still be awake/coherent/upright at the end of the evening.

Again, do you really think most men -- most men on this board, for instance -- suffer under this "pressure"?

--------------------
member #28

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Male

Toys. Yay! We get to play with toys all our lives!

Women. Yay! We get to have sex with them!

Dislikes:
Other men.
Insecurity and competetiveness.
Can't discuss anything emotionally significant. Obsession with watching sport and talking about it (as opposed to actually taking part in it). Self obsessiveness.

Attitudes, and particularly double standards, applied to men by society.
The presumtion that women are better at childcare. The presumption that men are expected to support their family should their partner choose that to be the case.

Violence.
Despite the fact that men are more likely to be the victim of violence, the presumption by women walking at night that we intend to attack them, makes me feel horrible.

Women:

The female body. Much nicer to look at generally. That whole orgasm thing.
Motherhood.
Hips, lips, tits, power.

Clothes. Yah! Finally a decent selection. In compensation for our toys, you lucked out on the clothes front ladies. You have so many more options, and so much more available to you that looks good with out having to fork out a fortune.

If I want to I can stay at home and look after my kids. Fantastic, should my partner be happy for me to do so, for a few years I get to spend most of my time with my kids watching them grow up, take their first steps, learn to talk, and all that good shit, instead of going to work.
I don't care if you think I'm boring. Fuck you! I've spent the morning dancing round the living room with my children singing! Yay! And I'm making bread with them this afternoon!

Dislikes:
My body. Have to strap my tits down to run. Menstruation.
Menopause.

Other women. Competetiveness about bodies, over men, jobs, reproduction, etc.

Men. God I don't envy you lot.

[ 30 June 2003: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Zoophagous Patient
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Zoophagous Patient           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Kovacs - I wasn't making blanket assumptions. My post was from a purely personal perspective.

--------------------
Justin de Villeneuve is my friend

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. I've never felt any pressure to be either standing or coherent at the end of the night.
Bernie
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bernie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd swap with you, Kovacs. But only on the basis that I definitely got to swap back at the end of the week.

And are we talking about swapping emotions etc. too? Or do you mean some kind of 'Freaky Friday' malarkey? I think I'd need the matching feelings to make it a meaningful experience.

I'd like to take a walk, late at night, without having to walk with a purpose, looking straight ahead, without making eye contact with anyone and without feeling quite so relieved when I make it through the front door without incident.

I'd also like to see women through a man's eyes, so that I can see how many times a day I misjudge the intentions of men.

--------------------
She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I have to agree. I've never felt any pressure to be either standing or coherent at the end of the night.

Ditto.
Although you do then run the risk of becoming a victim of Human Buckaroo.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you mean? What kind of showers? What kind of power?

Showers with other women. I could happily kill a couple of days in a nice warm shower looking at naked wet women. I wouldn’t care a fig for my pruning skin.

Complete power. In my life, women run stuff -- families, homes, and businesses. I know more men run businesses, but I have a family and a home and those things shouldn’t be overlooked or demeaned on the grounds that they don’t earn money.

My wife works, like I do. I’m better than her at playing football. She’s better than me at remembering birthdays, paying bills, keeping in touch, tending to grazed knees, saving money, planning for the future, and drawing. I may be bigger and stronger, but that’s about it.

I’m really concerned about the above reading a bit middle-England, like a Daily Mail columnist bemoaning the women’s rights movement when women ‘already rule the roost’. I don’t mean it like that. It can be a hard thing to do, to talk about being a family, without sounding smug (actually, I don’t think this – but I included it because of the ‘smug coupledom’ stuff this forum feels on occasion) and without finding echoes of unfashionable/derided tradition in the words. My wife is good at things that are vital to my daily life. This gives her power. My friends’ wives and girlfriends are good at things that are vital to my friends’ daily lives. This gives them power.

Plus, girls have a sexual power over men that cannot be explained. Although I guess it does have a caveat in that the men should be straight. Gays are like girl krypton. I don’t know if it’s a big compliment, knowing that by projecting the sexual element of yourself you can gain power. It should be, perhaps, if the connotations of prostitution and the narrowed eyes and bitch whispers that accompany a woman turning up for a job interview with a low buttoned shirt could be removed. That last sentence is a doozy.

What are the big things? Sex and money. They’re not talking about men when they say sex.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
What I like about being male:
  • Kovacs is quite correct, at a very primal level I do get a certain pleasure out of being tall/stocky, not out of a desire to intimidate, more an innate desire for some level of respect I suppose, like I say, a very primal thing really.
  • Being able to just shave my hair off and not have to worry about washing/styling it every day
  • Being able to sit in the sunshine with no shirt on, without feeling countless pairs of eyes swivelling to focus on me, accompanied by the dull thud of tongues hitting the floor.

What I dislike about being male:

• The flipside to what I mentioned above, the feeling that I'm seen as intimidating just by walking down the street. Big and shaven-headed is a combination that seems to make people very uncomfortable, regardless of how nice a guy I might actually be, and every time I glance at someone only to see them hurriedly stare at the pavement and go out of their way to avoid me, it makes me feel sad and guilty.
  • Male pattern baldness
  • The fact that most cities seem to have at least twice as many womens clothes shops as mens.

What I would like about being female:

• Getting served quicker at the bar, its amazing how a single coquettish flutter of the right eyelashes can make a barman completely forget that he has other patrons who've been waiting longer.
  • Handbags, its amazing how much you ladies seem to fit into these tardis-like accessories, I can't help feeling it must be useful to have so many different things to hand all the time.
  • Being able to go out for an evening and just be bought drinks, possibly a generalisation and I'm sure theres another side to it (the implicit expectation that you're going to 'put-out' perhaps), but I know it happens, my sister has cheerfully told me on numerous occasions about coming home from an evening out having spent not a penny, I'm sure she's not the only one.

What I'd dislike about being female:

• Periods
  • Being expected to dress femininely even if what you really want to do is just wear some scruffy jeans and a t-shirt and feel comfortable.
  • Having to actually think about what shoes you wear and whether they match your handbag, rather than just pulling on your favourite comfy pair of shoes/boots.

Octavia
I hate Valentine's Day.
Stupid commercialised crap
 - posted      Profile for Octavia           Edit/Delete Post 
What a fab thread.
Likes about being female
It's taken me much longer to think of likes than dislikes...
Multitasking. I like the fact that I can follow a film while having a phone conversation with my mother, and keeping an eye on the timing of dinner.

Sweetness and charm. I can get a lot of what I want by turning on the charm-tap, which can lubricate a discount out of the wiliest old Kybota-hireman at Southern Plant.

Not the communication thing, because I haven't got that, but girlfriends, definitely. People I can get guard-down drunk with, sing at the tops of our voices, read (and cry over) poetry with and love consistently through a variety of relationships with the opposite sex.

Dislikes about femaledom
The whole getting dressed thing. I have no idea how to do it, and have no idea where my girlfriends get their knowledge. I've just about mastered the work-type look, although I still cock it up occasionally, but I dread the slightly pitying, yet encouraging tone in friends' voices when they ask if I've been shopping by myself again.

The sheer variety and number of potential wrong-going things simply because you've got a girl-body. Breast cancer, cervical cancer, cystitis, yeast infections, various plumbing-related mishaps, periods coming in the wrong times, places and strengths, and never mind the range of menopausal horrors yet to burst on the horizon. And we're not going to talk about the embarrassing and uncomfortable medical procedures associated with the treatment of most of these things. Men have prostate trouble, that's it.

Being short and weak. I absolutely loathe the fact that while I can compete intellectually on a level playing field, I'm physically at a disadvantage. I can't lift things that are as heavy, work as hard for as long, or get things down off high shelves. Pisses me right off.

What I would like about being a boy
I know it's naff and obvious, but I would really, really like to have a willy for a bit. To feel what sex is like from the other side, to pee standing up, to have a pleasurable actual movement-against-cloth twitch rather than an inside-ache at a moment of unexpected horniness. Plus there would be the added bonus (one hopes) of a bed-partner being able to actually find the thing.

Obsessions - easier (I would think) if you're a boy. You're allowed to categorise your books and CDs, and alphabetise them.

Clothes. If you wear the same jeans, T-shirt and boots for every night out for a year (we are assuming in-between laundering here), nobody notices or cares.

Male dislikes
The inability to do more than one thing at a time. I suppose the upside is the ability to focus very clearly and consistently on what the one thing is, but I'd never get anything done if I had to do tasks one after the other.

The expectations. That you will be good at sport, that you will understand and enjoy football, that you will one day be the breadwinner, that you will be fertile and a good father...I think there's a lot of weight to carry if you're a Modern Bloke.

Shaving. I mean, every day. How much of a drag is that?

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 

• i imagine it is easier to be a freak, aesthetically and emotionally.
  • instant and moral access to men's communal showers, rar.

• broken voice bolting its fists around both ends of vocal range >> destroying rockstarability prospects.
  • tenting inappropriately.
  • having a cock in common with generic straightboys and phobes.

• smaller likelihood of hair loss.
  • earning fast cash by selling menstrual blood to sanguinarians.

//////////////

i've had to give up. it's almost impossible to reply to this thread without reinforcing, complying with, or suggesting credibility in gender-based generalisations. the only points on this thread with any real kind of validity are those involving physicality.

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
academic gender experts might disagree with me, but what do they know?
Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
3 things that I like about being female:

Having breasts. Breasts are great. Breasts are beautiful. There is no male equivalent for breasts - nutsacs just don't cut it.

Motherhood - I have found being a mother very fulfilling. More than I ever anticipated, as I didn't actually like children until I had my own.

Wider range of clothing choice. Shallow, I know. I just like the fact that I can wear skirts or trousers without having to worry about potential public derision. I can also wear any colour I choose (although having dark hair helps here also).

3 things I dislike about being female:

The double standards that the wearing of make up can sometimes evoke. For instance, not wearing any can see a female branded as a bra-burning, wimminz issuez spouting lezzer type. On the other hand, wearing make up can also mean that you are less likely to be taken seriously and are easier to dismiss as a 'girly type'.

Periods. Enough said already. And I won't even get started on ridiculously priced sanitary products.

Lack of solidarity. From my own experience, I think that women are less likely to 'stick together' than men. Women seem more likely to stab each other in the back, bitch about each other or treat other women snidely than men seem to.

3 things I'd like if I were a man:

The ability to piss free range. Caught short and desperate? No having to walk cross legged until you find a toilet. No having to find a hedge big enough to crouch behind. No having to worry about passing motorists glimpsing your arse in the air and attributing it to an unexpected eclipse.

Being physically bigger and stronger. I'd really like that. I'd like to be the protective male.

Being able to find all things technical/mechanical really, really interesting. Interesting enough to care about.

3 things I'd dislike if I were a man:

Not knowing that certain things you may say in jest to a male friend aren't interpreted in the same jocular fashion by a female friend. For example, calling her a fat wanker and then wondering why she didn't take it as a joke.

Being expected to be competitive and indulge in bravado if this isn't part of your personality anyway.

Nutsacs. They're just not the same as breasts, are they?

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

Modge
Too cool to post
quote:
Originally posted by Fionnula the Cooler:
i've had to give up. it's almost impossible to reply to this thread without reinforcing, complying with, or suggesting credibility in gender-based generalisations. the only points on this thread with any real kind of validity are those involving physicality.

Maybe not. What I find interesting about these questions is that it shows personal perceptions about your opposite gender; I agree it would be impossible to answer "accurately" as you can't know what it is like to be the opposite gender, or indeed to be anyone else of your gender other than yourself.

I don't think the only interesting answers are those involving the physical - look at the number of female posters who have rated their relationships with other women/ability to communicate, for example.

The other interesting thing is that what is good for someone may be bad for someone else - some women like the fact they have freedom of clothes choice, others feel constrained by it. Some women have commented positively on childbirth, others have cited it as a negative aspect of being a woman.

I have only provided female examples here as I am wary of speaking about men too much!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sidney:
Being expected to be competitive and indulge in bravado if this isn't part of your personality anyway.

You're so right.

That and the assumption that if you're not into football you must be a poof or a peadoh.

And daily shaving pretty much sucks, but feminine hair removal must be worse, albeit not required as often.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+