Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » and for my next trick, i shall discover a cure for cancer (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: and for my next trick, i shall discover a cure for cancer
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
Any further questions?

Well, you've reached these conclusions whilst living in a society that supposedly hammers home the idea that thin=beautiful=happy. You haven't been indoctrinated by the massive power of this message, you've questioned it and you've fund it insubstantial. So either you're special, and are somehow immune to the beauty myth, or the message isn't as punishingly powerful as has bee suggested.

ziggy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ziggy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:

Sorry, you've completely misunderstood me again. The comment was basically a summation of what I've been trying to put across, which is why would anyone worry what some marketing guy (ie the guy behind a calvin klein ad) had to say about what your figure should look like. It wasn't a go at you in the slightest. It was just a "why would anyone care what someone they've never met thinks they shoudl look like." It was nothing to do with the book you were referring to or the review of it.

Jeez, I have already said I am at the limits if my debating ability here! OK Physic. I take a step back and re-think. There is no empirical evidence for trusting you – but almost three years of reading your posts pre-dispose me to listening to you. J

Which, when you think about it, Thorn, explains why people start to accept adverts. Sheer persistence over time! J (No offence, physic, I meant what I said about you and your posts affecting me in a positive way.)

Thorn, it isn’t just the Calvin Klein adverts – but almost, though I admit a small number differ - every other advert says the same. The volume of adverts which say the opposite (and you mentioned a few, I know) are small by comparison.

As to why anyone cares what an ‘outsider’ to their wholly personal experience says, I thought I had mentioned that with the hard-wired need to fit in with one’s society in order to promote the survival of the species.

Who said ‘No man is an island’ (or similar)? I hold that is NOT a weakness to want to be like your fellow man. I hold that it is not a matter for which you should be judged lacking. It’s just human instinct.

Maybe it is becoming less of a human imperative. I am not so sure. If we have our take on humanity that it is so well sorted by now, how come we are knackering our world and killing ourselves off?

Bugger, bugger. I am going have to ask you to re-read all my posts and work out the essence. I will not back down from the fact that people ARE influenced by their surroundings and their desire to fit in. More power to those than can fight it off, or who have never felt it, but I hold that it is not a human failing to find it so and I also believe that there is not a soul on Earth who is immune to this need to fit in at some level;. I hold that the ‘media’ (whatever we decide to call it) has a direct influence upon the bearings of many, many – indeed the majority – of people exposed to it.

Which is why I won’t bloody buy anything Nescafe produce. Read about the babies who die because of their advertising in the third world (and, yes, of others, too), even now.

Can I lie down and recover now? .

--------------------
..so long and thanks for all the fish...

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry:

Thorn, do you live in a world devoid of contact with girls?

No, and every last one of them can think for themselves. I'd never dare suggest that they were so unthinking that they were beaten into a position where they felt they 'had' to do something because something like the 'media' the message of which can't even be pinned down, told them to.

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
Which is why I won’t bloody buy anything Nescafe produce. Read about the babies who die because of their advertising in the third world (and, yes, of others, too), even now.

This is kind of my point. Although advertising will try and influence us, at the end of the day you have the power to go away and getthe flip side of the argument - the background - and make a decision not to purchase Nescafe goods. From this point on it doesn't matter what slick tricks they ply you with, you've made your decision.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
almost three years of reading your posts pre-dispose me to listening to you.

Umm, flattered as I am at this I'm now scared that I've been doing a Tyler Durden, since as far as I knew I'd only been posting since about February last year. I wonder if I also have a job making soap??

ziggy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:

This is kind of my point. Although advertising will try and influence us, at the end of the day you have the power to go away and getthe flip side of the argument - the background - and make a decision not to purchase Nescafe goods. From this point on it doesn't matter what slick tricks they ply you with, you've made your decision.

Yeh, I saw that as I posted it and I know what you mean. You talk logic. But for one reason and another it took ME, personally (and others I know), until my thirties to realise that.

I am trying to say that many people come to independent thought at very, very different stages (if at all) in their lives, and that mass representations of what they ought to be don't help them.

Surely not too hard a point to concede?

--------------------

ziggy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Umm, flattered as I am at this I'm now scared that I've been doing a Tyler Durden, since as far as I knew I'd only been posting since about February last year. I wonder if I also have a job making soap??

I don't understand the reference to soap (nor indeed to Tyler Durham), but what I mean is that if I cast my 'emotional mind' back from beginning to end of my (sometimes sorry) history on this board, I cannot remember an incident when I was scared/offended/insulted by you.

I have a very poor memory for details as such, so I tend to rely on some sort of emotional gauge that I hold in my mind. The clock ticks up 'respect' and 'listens' for you, is all. Doesn't matter to me how far back you go.

Hope that doesn't sound too wanky. I won't hold you to any of it, I promise.

--------------------

Physic
Digital PIMP !
Sorry, was a reference to Fight Club where the main character (Durden)is revealed to have been living a second (schizophrenic) life, and had a job making soap.

Your sentiments are appreciated though, I'd like to think I haven't posted anything too offensive, bland yes, offensive no. Just wish I had time to post more often.

ziggy
TMO Member
This is my last wanky post, or indeed my last post here as my daughter and myself are going to the pictures tonight (she lives hundreds of miles away from me, so this is pretty special).

Not bland. Who remembers bland?

Have a good evening.

--------------------

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
im addicted to coke, i think coke have actually replaced my natural need for water, for a natural need for fizzied sugared goods, bastards

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post 
I'v got a mate like that although his particular vice is Irn-Bru. All attempts at intervention over the years have been met with blank faced indifference or snarling fury so we just leave him to it now and await the call to tell us that his liver's packed in and all his teeth have fallen out. It's the waiting that's the hard part.
Physic
Digital PIMP !

[Unlucky Alf]Awww bugger![/Unlucky Alf]

"Guess its..

for me from now on"

"Ha, told you so you toothless twat!"

Cherry
You!
Cut my eggs!
 - posted      Profile for Cherry           Edit/Delete Post 
Ziggy ....

quote:
I am interested in this topic on two levels. I was rake thin until I was thirty-eight and didn't know how 'good' I had it until after that. I never understood my over-weight sister and her weight issues until then. I can't believe how much people's attitude towards me changed because my external body shape did. I say that, not because I feel a 'victim', but just because I have a point of comparison as the weight gain was rapid and I still work with people who remember me as thin, and still refer to it as if I ought to be sorry, twelve years later.

Funnily enough, a colleague at work who was over 20 stone and is now down to 13 is suffering depression because after she lost weight, she gained so many 'friends' of both genders that she can feels she can barely trust anyone she didn't know from before.

.... This is illuminating!

It's a bit of a nerve to ask, but would you mind putting something about that in my
handbag thread?
I'm doing a bit of group navel-gazing

Any contributions you could make - gratefully accepted!

Cheers,
Cx

--------------------
I love God! He's so deliciously evil!

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
He he there were lots of words here that made me laugh.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+