Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » Bad Taste Ben (Page 8)

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Bad Taste Ben
69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
I wish *I* was a social worker like Elvis.
I wish everyone was.

Your sarcasm is milk for me, bne. Cheapshots behind the back are where it's at.

lOol <-- Bne and me having a cuddle.

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. Now you can all have your own little special edition Bad Taste Ben to cuddle and love.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuelnorton:
Frustrating, eh? You mean like ignoring my production of evidence after you asked for such on the "Liberia" thread? Come on, you can do better than that. You could have been gracious; instead you offer the rubbish argument that you are "frustrated".

As I've suggested before, if I were Gail I would be treating you as persona non grata and not sparing you a moment of my time. Your grotesque remarks about her, in my view, long ago lost you the right to expect any reasonable answers back from her. Saying these were "joke" insults and that you don't mean them literally is pretty weak; either you meant to hurt someone personally or you didn't. I'm reluctant to keep bringing this up because it's distasteful, but I don't see how you think if you reckon you can make vicious jibes about someone then criticise them for not giving you an answer on Liberia.

quote:

The reason some people on here find me "frustrating" to deal with is fairly simple: first, they don't know me, and therefore cannot differentiate between what is my personal opinion and what is the rather hammed-up "Nazi" persona I used since the very beginning of time on this board and SeeThru (RIP) before it.

I'm going to state the blindingly obvious here. You do it to yourself, just you, you and no-one else.

On this thread you have, within a few pages:

- made jokes about negroes

- described black youths as wearing tea cosies and funny clothes

- painted a nightmarish picture of grinning Somalian gangsters

- claimed that your account of drinking a toast to Hitler was self-parody

- invited me round to watch the amusing and sinister ethnic people with binoculars

- made a crack about the gay problem being sorted out as part of the Final Solution.

How can you blame anyone for not knowing whether your remarks are "ham Nazi" style or your genuine opinion when you seem to move so fluidly from one to another? I said more than once on this thread that your "Nazi" stylisations seem merely like safely-exaggerated versions of your true beliefs, designed to be passed off as humour.

Let me make a suggestion.
If you're annoyed that people think Nazi-type jokes are your true beliefs, why not stop making the Nazi jokes. Why not, when this kind of question comes up, just give your genuine opinions plainly and honestly, without exaggeration or putting on a "voice".

It wouldn't give you a Nazi persona to hide behind, but at least people would be judging you on what you actually believe.

--------------------
member #28

Gail
Gives baby boys intravenous nicotine
 - posted      Profile for Gail           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick J:
Frustrating, eh? You mean like ignoring my production of evidence after you asked for such on the "Liberia" thread? Come on, you can do better than that. You could have been gracious; instead you offer the rubbish argument that you are "frustrated". As for this thread descending into "pointlessness", a simple reading of what has been written will prove the opposite has been the case.

You call that one link evidence for your claim of the existence of 'societies where the rape of tens of thousands of children is passed off as a ritual event' in Africa? Remind yourself not to be called to the Bar any time soon. Yes I find arguing with you frustrating - because you consistently ignore points/questions that are inconvenient. Because you repeatedly ignore the bigger picture in order to quibble over details - even over trivial questions such as whether you've denied trolling. Because there is never any development in an argument with you, it just goes over the same old ground time after time. I should be gracious, huh? What do you mean by gracious? See the Rick-tinted light, 'fess up 'it's a fair cop guvnor, I wuz wrong all along'? If this thread has a point, please to explain what the fuck it is? All it proves to me is that you don't like Ben and a lot of people don't like you. No great revelation there.

quote:
The reason some people on here find me "frustrating" to deal with is fairly simple: first, they don't know me, and therefore cannot differentiate between what is my personal opinion and what is the rather hammed-up "Nazi" persona I used since the very beginning of time on this board and SeeThru (RIP) before it.

Persona schmersona. Either way you're a nasty little bigot.

quote:
Second, a good many who have expressed "frustration" - yourself, Ben among others - share this uncanny ability of not being able to see, let alone acknowledge, any decent point I might happen to make, even if it is glaringly obvious to all and sundry. It's that nasty Snorton you see, and I cannot be seen to accept anything he says as being even slightly reasonable, for we must continue to promote the idea that he is a lying, nasty, arrogrant, pompous Nazi fuck. This is why what would otherwise be a half-decent debate is quickly transformed into an exercise in mud-slinging, name-calling and general boorishness.

Bollocks. I've agreed with you on various subjects and on more than one occasion, and I daresay Ben and all the other h8ers have too (note to self: don't do that again!). As to 'mud-slinging, name-calling and general boorishness', lol - can I say pot and kettle?

quote:
I find it frustrating when I counter Ben with an hour or so of my time, only for him to ignore everything I say save the lines he can twist into something else and add something like "fuck off, you spastic" at the end. But what's even more annoying is that fact that as most people probably skim-read and don't actually read into our turgid exchanges anyway, any points I might have made are lost in the mud, and the feeling that Ben has somehow emerged "victorious" develops.

Turgid baby, turgid - you said it. Ben emerging victorious? Personally, I generally end up thinking 'why the fuck does he bother?'

quote:
Compare this to the approach taken by Kovacs for example, who remains considered and reasonable in his opinions, and willing to accept a point he might not necessarily agree with personally. I find it odd how I have never got into a single mud-slinging session with Kovacs, while Ben and I can create a ten-page thread based on our differences of opinion on the width of a regulation slice of thick-sliced bread.

Maybe it's because on the whole Kovacs has the good sense to stay out of political discussions with you?

quote:
It's just insane.

For the second time in one post, I'm agreeing with you.

Gail
Gives baby boys intravenous nicotine
 - posted      Profile for Gail           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and this obsession with my relationship with my rats? You say you don't believe it literally (frankly I couldn't give a fuck), but you're awfully pleased with the whole idea aren't you? I assume so, since you can't help referring to it every other post.

And to think you had the gall to criticise Pink for his sexual perversions. If I was Nightowl, I'd be making arrangements to have you investigated.

moggycookie
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for moggycookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I'd like to ask is what did you think?

quote:
deliberate tactlessness

This is all very well, but I'll point something out - a lot of Ben's deliberate tactlessness is based on fictional things. Ie. The story the other day about murdering you & Nightowl - No matter how offensive you found it, it was a fictional situation. It just simply wouldn't happen.

You (Snort) take actual real life scenario's and poke fun and then expect people to find it funny or acceptable. Ie. When you were 'suggesting' that Gail was rather 'portly'. I think you'll find that it actually came across as a very offensive and hurtful remark. I can't find the thread where the remarks took place, but I remember you didn't say 'I think Gail rather portly'. Also you're pokings at black people - there are black people out there who are going to find what you say extremely unnecessary and will come down on you about it! Do you see what I'm getting at? You can't poke fun at RL situations/things because people become defensive. That's why you get the reactions that you do.

Admittedly not all Ben's posts are acceptable - I didn't find the picture of the two murdered Soham girls very pointful. I don't think there was any need for him to post that at all, and yeah, I was a little offended.

quote:
You fucking spastic

Ben does this when forced into a corner or when he can't think of anything better/more to say. You ignore things when you are forced into a corner or can't think of anything better/more to say. Its just a different way of dealing with being wrong, and I don't think either of you can dig at each other for it because it would make you hippocrites.

quote:
Davystoat eh? I'm glad I drove that fucker "to the brink of suicide".

Him and Jimbo both.

I can't comment here as I don't know what the situation was.

quote:
As for Ben, in my opinion, his personality doesn't come through so strongly so I can't really comment. He seems nice, and genuine but I haven't built up as much of an opinion of him as I have for Snort.

This was meant in a sense that I haven't really had much of a chance to gain an opinion of him being as I haven't engaged with him as much as I have you. However I will say that I think he is less opinionated than yourself.

I hope that makes sense, I can't be arsed reading through it again.

PS sorry I'm ten pages too late!!!

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
As I've suggested before, if I were Gail I would be treating you as persona non grata and not sparing you a moment of my time. Your grotesque remarks about her, in my view, long ago lost you the right to expect any reasonable answers back from her. Saying these were "joke" insults and that you don't mean them literally is pretty weak; either you meant to hurt someone personally or you didn't. I'm reluctant to keep bringing this up because it's distasteful, but I don't see how you think if you reckon you can make vicious jibes about someone then criticise them for not giving you an answer on Liberia.

But the thread in question happened before the jibes went into overdrive. In any case, she had been posting to the thread until her request was met. If she wished to make me persona non grata after the weekend, then that would have been justified enough. Not that I would have cared too greatly anyway, but that's beside the point.

quote:
I'm going to state the blindingly obvious here. You do it to yourself, just you, you and no-one else.

True to a point. As for the points you made:

...made jokes about negroes Not really. I referred to a spoof theory I mentioned in another thread. The "genetic predisposition" thing.

...described black youths as wearing tea cosies and funny clothes Well some of them do, don't they? What's particularly outrageous about saying this?

...painted a nightmarish picture of grinning Somalian gangsters Try speaking to some of the chaps who work the beat in Harrow on a Saturday night. Or check out some of the local news here. Again, nothing particularly controversial. Somali gangs hang around at the bus station at night. Fact.

...claimed that your account of drinking a toast to Hitler was self-parody As if you could really think anything else. Come on, get real.

...invited me round to watch the amusing and sinister ethnic people with binoculars A joke so glaringly obvious that I can only laugh at your bringing it up here.

...made a crack about the gay problem being sorted out as part of the Final Solution. Read what I said, and then look at what I was replying to when I said it. And then do a bit of elementary history as well. June 1934? Final Solution? O dear.

quote:
How can you blame anyone for not knowing whether your remarks are "ham Nazi" style or your genuine opinion when you seem to move so fluidly from one to another? I said more than once on this thread that your "Nazi" stylisations seem merely like safely-exaggerated versions of your true beliefs, designed to be passed off as humour.

And I have said more than once on this thread that your assumption is wrong.

quote:
Let me make a suggestion.
If you're annoyed that people think Nazi-type jokes are your true beliefs, why not stop making the Nazi jokes. Why not, when this kind of question comes up, just give your genuine opinions plainly and honestly, without exaggeration or putting on a "voice".

Fair enough. Quid pro quo though, Kovacs. Do you really consider Emma Watson "yummy", or is it just an on-the-boards persona? Because, like you with me, I find the two things hard to differentiate sometimes.

[ 08 September 2003: Message edited by: Samuelnorton ]

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go. I'm off to get some cider and some ProPlus.

--------------------
sweet

shine
 - posted      Profile for shine           Edit/Delete Post 
Ben: Things have come to a pretty pass
Our friendship's growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that.

Sam: Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

Ben: You say either and I say either,
Sam: You say neither and I say neither
Ben: Either
Sam: Either
Ben: Neither,
Sam: Neither
Together: Let's call the whole thing off.

Ben: You like potato and I like potahto
Sam: You like tomato and I like tomahto
Ben: Potato,
Sam: potahto,
Ben: Tomato,
Sam: tomahto.
Together: Let's call the whole thing off

Ben: But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
Sam: And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

Ben: I say Hitler gassed the Jews
You think history’s been confused

Sam: You say The Fuehrer killed the kikes
I say “who cares – Jews no one likes”

Ben: Gassed jews
Sam: History’s confus’d
Ben: Killed kikes
Sam: No one likes.
Together: Let’s call the whole thing off.

Ben: Six million Jews were killed that way
But you just think they ran away
Sam: You say it was a holocaust
And I say that I’ve no remorse

Ben: Killed that way
Sam: They ran away.
Ben: Holocaust,
Sam: I've no remorse,
Together: Let’s call the whole thing off.

[ 08 September 2003: Message edited by: shine ]

nightowl
straight out of the Pit of Spite?
 - posted      Profile for nightowl           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I was reading this thread and just noticed something: I always know when Rick is joking and when he isn't, because I can "hear' him when I read his posts. Whereas everyone else, including you and Modge, seemed to take things the wrong way even when he didn't mean to be offensive. It's partly that his jokes can be rather heavy-handed and partly that he uses a kind of shorthand, thinking people will know what he's talking about when it may not be at all obvious. A typical example is the "grinning Somali gangs" remark. I knew what he meant by that because we've talked about the gang problem in Harrow, but I'm not surprised other people saw it as a racist remark. Same applies to a lot of the "Nazi" stuff he says. He likes bad taste jokes, what can I say.

By the way kovacs, I sometimes have the same problem with your posts. You have posted things in the past which I found offensive (the voyeurism stuff, links to naked women on sunbeds and the like) because I took them at face value. Then Rick pointed out that you were only joking.

Anyway,I'm not making apologies for him, just sharing my impressions. I think he just doesn't come across well on TMO (and neither do I. It seems to bring out the bitch in me). As a matter of fact, before meeting him in RL I never thought he was the kind of person I'd get on with, since my perception of him was the same as everyone else's at the time. It came as a real shock to me that he was a much nicer person in real life.

Although I do wish he'd stop mentioning the rats.

--------------------
The way I see it, God put me on earth to achieve a certain number of things. By now I'm so far behind, I'll never die.

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
You call that one link evidence for your claim of the existence of 'societies where the rape of tens of thousands of children is passed off as a ritual event' in Africa? Remind yourself not to be called to the Bar any time soon.

I thought the one link was sufficient to push the discussion on. Tens of thousands of little girls are raped in SA because of the influence of wicthdoctors. Those who commit the act argue it's a ritual thing, and the numbers are hardly insignificant. I would have liked to have continued that discussion.

quote:
Yes I find arguing with you frustrating - because you consistently ignore points/questions that are inconvenient. Because you repeatedly ignore the bigger picture in order to quibble over details - even over trivial questions such as whether you've denied trolling. Because there is never any development in an argument with you, it just goes over the same old ground time after time. I should be gracious, huh? What do you mean by gracious? See the Rick-tinted light, 'fess up 'it's a fair cop guvnor, I wuz wrong all along'?

You're being a bit unfair, especially given that I devote a fair amount of time in responding to posts. If I really had this habit of ignoring things, do you think I would be writing this right now? When I made the "gracious" remark, I meant that it would be nice for a chance to see a "I don't agree with you, but that's a fair comment". The Liberia thread is a case in point. I'm not expecting a "I was wrong all along" response. As if.

quote:
If this thread has a point, please to explain what the fuck it is? All it proves to me is that you don't like Ben and a lot of people don't like you. No great revelation there.

I guess not.

quote:
As to 'mud-slinging, name-calling and general boorishness', lol - can I say pot and kettle?

I never at any time suggested that this was a one-way thing.

quote:
Maybe it's because on the whole Kovacs has the good sense to stay out of political discussions with you?

We've discussed a few things in this thread, if you might have a looksie. The fact is that everyone notices when I say something that may slightly upset the liberal sensibilities of some people on this board. When I post something that might fall within the lines of TMO acceptability, it goes by ignored. Take a look at Cody Joe's "Racial Profiling" thread, for example. Had I said something with the slightest whiff of controversy, the thread would have generated 100 or so posts by now. Instead, it's well on the road to being stone dead.

quote:
For the second time in one post, I'm agreeing with you.

Time to break out the champagne then I suppose.

quote:
Oh, and this obsession with my relationship with my rats? You say you don't believe it literally (frankly I couldn't give a fuck), but you're awfully pleased with the whole idea aren't you? I assume so, since you can't help referring to it every other post.

Apart from directing the posts directly to you, the only other occasion I referred to this was when I was trying to give Moggiecookie a bit of background to the "nastiness" thing.

That's the last you'll hear about that particular subject, in any case.

--------------------

nightowl
straight out of the Pit of Spite?
 - posted      Profile for nightowl           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nightowl(7.23pm):
Although I do wish he'd stop mentioning the rats.

quote:
Originally posted by Samuelnorton (7.30pm):
That's the last you'll hear about that particular subject, in any case.

Wow.

Let's see if it works again: Rick, please empty the bin.

--------------------
The way I see it, God put me on earth to achieve a certain number of things. By now I'm so far behind, I'll never die.

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
I was actually in the middle of my post when you submitted yours, and didn't actually see it first. I'm scared.

As for your question: no. If only because you'll have people start believing that I am anything but a sexist Nazee swine.

Bugger. This chate, non?

--------------------

kovacs

It Is Come: The Clash of An Immortal and A Lesser Being...as Titanic TMO Presents

"So Saith A Monster!"

Readers! You won't believe this month's guest villain!

quote:
If she wished to make me persona non grata after the weekend, then that would have been justified enough. Not that I would have cared too greatly anyway, but that's beside the point.

OK, this isn't my fight and now I've stated my opinion many times, it seems stupid for me to pursue it as Gail can handle it herself.

quote:
As for the points you made:

I should acknowledge that I was listing these from memory. So if you pick up on inaccuracy, that's partly because I didn't actually scan the thread for them -- they were meant as examples of the way your "joke" comments sit very closely to your "sincere" comments, and the individual points I raise may not be strong in themselves. My point was that some were meant seriously, some as stylised-Nazi remarks, and that you make no distinction between them despite your frustration that people confuse the two.

quote:

...made jokes about negroes Not really. I referred to a spoof theory I mentioned in another thread. The "genetic predisposition" thing.

My point was that you used the word "negro", which is offensive to many people -- and that you used it "jokingly".

quote:

...described black youths as wearing tea cosies and funny clothes Well some of them do, don't they? What's particularly outrageous about saying this?

My point was that this "sincere" remark was very close on the heels of your "joking" remarks. I hope you see my point emerging now.

quote:

...painted a nightmarish picture of grinning Somalian gangsters Try speaking to some of the chaps who work the beat in Harrow on a Saturday night. Or check out some of the local news here. Again, nothing particularly controversial. Somali gangs hang around at the bus station at night. Fact.

Right, you see I wasn't asking whether this was true. I was saying that a statement you meant "sincerely" was in close proximity to comments you made in what you put forward as a "comical Nazi persona".

quote:

...claimed that your account of drinking a toast to Hitler was self-parody As if you could really think anything else. Come on, get real.

Again...parody sitting next to sincerity, which could quite easily cause confusion in many readers' minds as to when you're actually joking. In fact, I could believe that you'd do this, as I said: you agreed with my suggestion on here recently that Hitler was in some ways a "great leader", and you admire military skill and bravery in the German army of WW2, so it didn't seem such an outlandish idea.

quote:

...invited me round to watch the amusing and sinister ethnic people with binoculars A joke so glaringly obvious that I can only laugh at your bringing it up here.

I'm not saying I believe you meant it sincerely. (There may have been a moment of weightless panic when I wondered whether you really were going to carry out this plan.) I'm saying this joke was right next to things that you actually meant.

quote:

...made a crack about the gay problem being sorted out as part of the Final Solution. Read what I said, and then look at what I was replying to when I said it. And then do a bit of elementary history as well. June 1934? Final Solution? O dear.

Firstly, as I said, I didn't actually look back at the posts, and haven't read this comment of yours since yesterday, which is why I didn't remember the date you gave and so made a lazy guess. Secondly, it could be considered a bit rich for you to chastise me about not sharing your expertise about Nazi Germany. We all have our fields of specialism. Although you're right that if I had quoted 1934 and described it as the Final Solution, it would have been a silly mistake.

quote:
Fair enough. Quid pro quo though, Kovacs. Do you really consider Emma Watson "yummy", or is it just an on-the-boards persona? Because, like you with me, I find the two things hard to differentiate sometimes.

I'll answer you honestly. For the benefit of anyone who doesn't pick this up, I had to think for a moment who you meant here before realising that this is a reference to a comment I made about the actress behind Hermione Granger in Harry Potter.

I think you'll have to agree that I have commented about her no more than once or twice, and that it's not exactly a recurring theme in my posts.

If we found the thread, it would probably be clear that I didn't say she was "yummy". (Although this is just about possible.) The point of my comments, as I remember, was that I felt I could see she was destined, pretty soon, to be a sexy, glamourous actress, and was hemming and hawing over whether it was OK to notice the sexy potential in girls who were under the age of 16 -- that is, to appreciate the young woman they were clearly going to become. Self-indulgent, perhaps; dubious to some, perhaps, but not especially morally questionable in my opinion.

If I did make a remark about her being "yummy" or whatever, I can only imagine it was meant to be provocative and designed to incite a response. Sure, I could be pulled up about making comments I meant to be self-parody, or stirring, next to comments I meant to be sincere.

However, firstly I don't have some kind of "paedophile persona", which is always making lustful remarks about young actresses for a "joke" -- this is one, maybe two threads you're talking about -- and secondly I'm not now complaining that my joke persona is never distinguished from my sincere one.

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

quote:
Originally posted by nightowl:
By the way kovacs, I sometimes have the same problem with your posts. You have posted things in the past which I found offensive (the voyeurism stuff, links to naked women on sunbeds and the like) because I took them at face value. Then Rick pointed out that you were only joking.

I take your point, and the same could be said of Ben -- probably more so than me. I remember saying quite recently, and I'll give you this ammo against me for free, that Modge wanted to throw out my swivel chair because it was encrusted with ejaculation. Hardly in keeping with some of my other moralistic comments.

I don't know how I get away with it sometimes, but anyway my point stands that I'm not here complaining "everyone judges me on my joke posts, not my sincere ones."

Also, my joke posts are based on truth. They are exaggerated versions of a genuine part of me, which isn't the entire me but is certainly there rather than something totally invented. I'm admitting that, and I think that most "joke" personae traits are based on something inherent in the real life person.

--------------------
member #28

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by moggycookie:
Ben does this when forced into a corner or when he can't think of anything better/more to say.

This is making out that one occasion when I got exasperated is something I make a regular habit of. The night in question I'd been enjoying a session of sparring with an articulate newbie (Cody) only to have Rick/Snorton barge in with a typically ignorant, unfunny post the only purpose of which was to have a go at me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Nobody seems to have picked up on the point that the reason it's so hard to distinguish between Rick-being-serious and Rick-only-joking is that Rick's jokes aren't funny. They are nonstarters, non sequiturs, auto-aborting mishaps. Further, his humourlessness hobbles his attempts to be serious - how on earth can you expect to make others think when you can't even make them laugh?

[ 08 September 2003: Message edited by: ben ]

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
quote:
Also, my joke posts are based on truth. They are exaggerated versions of a genuine part of me, which isn't the entire me but is certainly there rather than something totally invented. I'm admitting that, and I think that most "joke" personae traits are based on something inherent in the real life person.

So what you are saying is there is dried semen on your swivel chair? Disgusting.

--------------------

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
quote:
Stuff

OK. I see where you are coming from. And I think Nightowl explained why this is the case fairly well. I think we should meet up for dinner and drinks sometime soon so you don't forget what I'm really like.

quote:
If I did make a remark about her being "yummy" or whatever, I can only imagine it was meant to be provocative and designed to incite a response. Sure, I could be pulled up about making comments I meant to be self-parody, or stirring, next to comments I meant to be sincere.

However, firstly I don't have some kind of "paedophile persona", which is always making lustful remarks about young actresses for a "joke" -- this is one, maybe two threads you're talking about -- and secondly I'm not now complaining that my joke persona is never distinguished from my sincere one.

I am still not convinced. I sometimes have this feeling that you have this desire to be a modern-day Lewis Carroll. In more ways than one.

--------------------

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
This is making out that one occasion when I got exasperated is something I make a regular habit of. The night in question I'd been enjoying a session of sparring with an articulate newbie (Cody) only to have Rick/Snorton barge in with a typically ignorant, unfunny post the only purpose of which was to have a go at me.

I can only apologise for this. It kicked off an insane 48 hours, that's for sure.

quote:
Nobody seems to have picked up on the point that the reason it's so hard to distinguish between Rick-being-serious and Rick-only-joking is that Rick's jokes aren't funny. They are nonstarters, non sequiturs, auto-aborting mishaps. Further, his humourlessness hobbles his attempts to be serious - how on earth can you expect to make others think when you can't even make them laugh?

The fact that "nobody seems to have picked up on the point that..." is simply because "the point that..." is your personal opinion. To which you are entitled. If you think everything that I write is unfunny, fine. What I object to is your ceaseless attempts to pass off what are essentially your personal feelings as some sort of TMO gospel.

--------------------

kovacs

quote:
So what you are saying is there is dried semen on your swivel chair? Disgusting

I don't know -- I threw it out.

quote:
I am still not convinced. I sometimes have this feeling that you have this desire to be a modern-day Lewis Carroll. In more ways than one.

Quid pro quo, as you say -- I think your Nazi persona is a version of your genuine beliefs, a seaside stand-up of Mr Hitler you can stick your face through and shout "Heil", then duck out from and claim it was all just messing. So you're not convinced, and neither am I; we would have to live with that.

Big problems with your "Lewis Carroll" theory, which you shouldn't really have advanced after your "do some elementary History" jibe. It's entirely in debate whether he even found girl children attractive, and to say he acted sexually on any kind of fascination with children is a pretty inexpert view with no evidence behind it. If that's one of the "ways" you're confused about me emulating, I can only guess at the others -- that I want to be a pioneering photographer? That I want to write children's fiction? I can't really see why you're so touchingly about this supposed career path of mine.

If you really think I'm some kind of repressed paedophile, I think you should say so outright, and we can have an interesting discussion about it.

--------------------
member #28

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the real nub of the problem, here, is use of language. Let's assume for a second (perhaps rightly so) that when Snort claims to be joking, he really is making a joke. I think that's a fair enough grounds to start from.

The problem arises when the nature of a joke, either by design, or by accident, not only offends people, but is a direct play on those sensibilities that everyone has. It's going further than merely making a humourous statement, it's taking something personal, making light of it, and turning it into something that is not subject to the amusement of others, but simply amusing to the person who has written it, i.e. Snort.

On another level, Snorts posts all seem to (and I'm sorry if this is a little harsh) read in a high pitched monotone. This complete lack of intonation, coupled with an unwavering textbook language style, give the impression that Snort is posting everything in the same light - not necessaraly a nice one.

We could assume that he is serious about everything. That's a thought that's perhaps too nasty to even contemplate. Or we could assume that everything that Snort says is a joke. This would make him, essentially, a troll.

I don't particularly like either of these assumptions. I, like Kovacs, feel that Snorts general persona is one that is used deliberately, to protect views that Snorton either holds, or finds very attractive, but realises can't be considered socially acceptable.

Still, I can't really get my head round this. My thinking really, is that Snorton has some view that he realises aren't necessaraly socially acceptable. He realises that he is somewhat bigoted. Like the homosexual who isn't terribly happy with the social implications of being gay, but camps it up in drag as a means of escapism, and to test out responses from others. It's a way of finding out how people will react to the 'real' you, but using extreme examples to amplify the reaction. In this way, if someone reacts badly, you can probably guage how much better their reaction might be to your real views.

This explains why it's not very easy to work Snorton into a rage. Your reactions aren't bothering him because you're not really reacting to him, you're reacting to what he would be like if his views were more extreme. He expects it, and has, over time, possibly even come to enjoy it.

It's a sad thing but really, I think it's time to realise that, no matter how long Rick has been here, he probably has little or no ties with people on the boards in the way that most of us have developed and, at the end of the day, doesn't really give much of a fuck what most of us say anyway.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
*Sorry all - Please feel free to carry on with this in a new thread, but the server just wobbled quite badly rebuilding this little gem so I'm going to lock it for its own good*

carry on...

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+