Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Dead » To anyone who posts on handbag! (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: To anyone who posts on handbag!
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Gays get much more sex, Harley. Why don't you turn gay?
Dudley
I wouldn't go on living with you if you were dipped in platinum.
 - posted      Profile for Dudley           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harlequin:
I don't want a half hour shag every few weeks I want to get a woman who will be available for me to shag when ever I feel like. I think they call them wives or girlfriends!

this is a joke, right?

[ 26 June 2003: Message edited by: Dudley ]

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah gays are whores but thwy are like free whores, imagine it harley!
Frank
moon-chain-silver-mother-breakfast-fry-up-sausage
 - posted      Profile for Frank           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to get a woman who will be available for me to shag when ever I feel like. I think they call them wives or girlfriends!

Oh Steely, if only that were true ...

--------------------
Or not sure. Or not important

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of all - you don't need a credit card! Just a moustache...

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
And how many times have you heard people here saying, "some of my best friends are gay". They must be everywhere, d00d.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
None of my best friends are gay.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but you're one of their best gay friends, so it all works out.

Yeah, and Harley - you can pick gays up anywhere! You don't need to pretend to be reading books or doing your washing, you could just go wandering around a wood or, indeed, public toilet. Game on!

Bernie
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bernie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But hookers don't give you enough time! And I don't want a half hour shag every few weeks I want to get a woman who will be available for me to shag when ever I feel like. I think they call them wives or girlfriends!

Yeah. get yourself one of them, Harley, and you might be able to get that half hour right down to three or four minutes once in a blue moon.

--------------------
She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.

vikram

yeah the royal festival hall toilets have holes toput your willy through and everything harley.

i just realised taht none of my friends are gay. none. there's a few pretend lesbians and soem of teh boys get gay after too many drinks (ie me) but no proper gays. and i was at goldsmiths, the gayest college in all of london! (except lcf obviously)

Thorn Davis

Maybe we should head out on the town and get ourselves some gay friends. There's a club in Croydon called Fire In The Hole that should sort us.
vikram

heheh, what STD is that then?
Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
No, Meantime Brewery Kolsch, kicks the arse of Staro.

Kolsch? Pfft. Franziskaner Hefe.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

Phill
Listen, can you smell something ?
 - posted      Profile for Phill           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Well, actually conversing with him in "real life" might cause you to revise your opinions somewhat.
]

In what way?

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phill:

In what way?

It might inspire pity rather than blind bandwagon stomping hate? People aren't born socially awkward.

Edit for UBB, but Plih bolloxed it up first.

[ 26 June 2003: Message edited by: Vogon Poetess ]

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It might inspire pity rather than blind bandwagon stomping hate? People aren't born socially awkward.

What everyone has social awkwardness thrust upon them? I'm not sure I believe that. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here, I definitely don't believe that.

Phill
Listen, can you smell something ?
 - posted      Profile for Phill           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Edit for UBB, but Plih bolloxed it up first.

Yeah, damn that Plih. Hes always messing things up!

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
So who here is more hateful in real life than they are online?

Can we nominate other people?

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Maybe we should head out on the town and get ourselves some gay friends. There's a club in Croydon called Fire In The Hole that should sort us.
I wouldn't mind some gay or perhaps bisexual women friends as you can have threesomes with them!

[ 26 June 2003: Message edited by: Harlequin ]

ziggy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ziggy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People aren't born socially awkward.

They are. Autism and Asperger's; Down's; ADD, etc. etc.

Edited to add that it seems even shyness may be inherited.

[ 26 June 2003: Message edited by: ziggy ]

--------------------
..so long and thanks for all the fish...

Bamba

quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
They are. Autism and Asperger's; Down's; ADD, etc. etc.

Well yes, but if someone had Down's Syndrome you wouldn't simply describe them as being "socially awkward" would you? The same way as you wouldn't describe someone with no legs as having "a bit of a mobility problem". Well, I wouldn't anyway. I assumed we were talking about 'normal' people who were just socially awkward and I would say that that's just part of who you are.

ziggy
TMO Member
I am not being pissy bamba, but I work with kids between 11-18, and I have to say I haven't yet worked out what 'normal' was. Seriously.

There is always some reason.

--------------------

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think 'normal' here means "has legs but not Down's".
ziggy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
I think 'normal' here means "has legs but not Down's".

Hmmn. You are not like your TV personality, then?

--------------------

Bamba

quote:
I am not being pissy bamba, but I work with kids between 11-18, and I have to say I haven't yet worked out what 'normal' was. Seriously.

Shit, it would appear that you were disagreeing with VP as I was and yet I was about to justify myself to you as if you had taken the opposite argument. Even my last post to you doesn't make any sense as I was actualy agreeing with you while I thought I was arguing. I'm not quite sure how this has come about. Actually I do know, I obviously wasn't reading this thread properly, it's the only explanation. I was also going to Stevie my use of the word normal above but I really can't be bothered. I'd assumed it'd be understood that I was simply drawing a line between people with serious diagnosable conditions and people who were just shyer or more socially awkward than others. That's what the single quotes were for.

On a side note, I'd question what kids or you working with them has to do with anything in your post above. It's like you're saying that the fact you work with kids makes you more qualified to judge what's normal than anyone else which I don't really believe.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, to clarify.

I meant sometimes you meet a person and you wonder about their upbringing, and what has caused their lack of ability to communicate appropriately within accepted social norms. Of course people are born with inherent disorders that physically prevent this, but the way they were raised to interact with others is what I was thinking of. So after meeting such a person, you are inclined to be more tolerant of their awkwardness, whether it be caused by a mental disability or a stunted social upbringing.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bamba:
I was simply drawing a line between people with serious diagnosable conditions and people who were just shyer or more socially awkward than others

Psychologists estimate that a large percentage of people who others might perceive as being extremely socially maladroit do in fact have undiagnosed Asperger's, which is a physiological condition. I don't think there is a clearly defined demarcation point here: more a grayscale of personality types and brain physiologies, along which all of us are on slightly different points.

ziggy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Bamba:
I'd assumed it'd be understood that I was simply drawing a line between people with serious diagnosable conditions and people who were just shyer or more socially awkward than others. That's what the single quotes were for.

On a side note, I'd question what kids or you working with them has to do with anything in your post above. It's like you're saying that the fact you work with kids makes you more qualified to judge what's normal than anyone else which I don't really believe.

I have to be careful answering this as I am off work today because I am ill again, and it affects how I react to things - slow brain and excessive tiredness. So if I make some stupid statement give me a chance.

Your first point I accept and think is right.

However, I wonder how many people understand "serious diagnosable conditions"? I admit Down's IS extreme and immediately identifiable. I have a half-sister and an adopted brother with Down's. It's hard to miss!

But things like ADD and Asperger's are often not understood by many people outside of the professions who deal directly with people with these ailments (as Astromariner also poimts out). I even have a niece in NZ with a very rare genetic condition which affects her social skills. Her mother died young of it (as will she), but it is only recently that NZ has a geneticist who can help the family. When her mother was dying, the States was the only place which could offer advice.

I am saying, I guess, that some of these diagnosable conditions are still unknown to the general public and are therefore seen as just a matter of the person concerned being somehow culpable in their social inadequacies.

I am not happy with that as a response, Bamba, so come back to me if it isn't making sense to you and I will try again. I think I am agreeing with you.

Working with children - should it mean I KNOW more? Well, no, it doesn't in the sense that it makes me an expert. But it does give me some insight - on a purely personal level. I am constantly finding myself having to re-evaluate my reaction to the kids I teach because I find out they have some other, external factor, influencing what they do. (most) Adults have a degree of self-control over their lives and have to accept some culpability for what they do (medical conditions excepted, perhaps?). But with kids you have to see it from a different angle. Kids have such little control over their own lives that if they are mangled, you start to look at external factors. Then you extrapolate these factors into the lives of these same kids as adults and start to wonder just how much control adults have, after all.....

I don't feel that I am making sense. So is it OK to put this up and leave you to come back at me with it?

[ 27 June 2003: Message edited by: ziggy ]

--------------------

ziggy
TMO Member
quote:
Um, to clarify.

I meant sometimes you meet a person and you wonder about their upbringing, and what has caused their lack of ability to communicate appropriately within accepted social norms. Of course people are born with inherent disorders that physically prevent this, but the way they were raised to interact with others is what I was thinking of. So after meeting such a person, you are inclined to be more tolerant of their awkwardness, whether it be caused by a mental disability or a stunted social upbringing.

Maybe I got this wrong, but I got the impression, within all this business with Harlequin (whatever 'the nature of the beast' is at the moment - and it ain't the original Harle), that you felt intolerance towards a certain portion of the 'socially awkward' because they ought to be able to somehow sort themselves.

Hence my argument that culpability is not that easy to apportion.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

quote:

Maybe I got this wrong,

Yes, you got it completely bassackward like you did when you leapt on bob in society. What VP was saying is that people should be more tolerant to someone like Harlequin because there may be reasons for their inability to successfully interact.

Dude, you seem very quick to ascribe unpleasant personality traits to people and paint yourself as the sole soul sensitive guardian of all that is right and good and honest.

Bob
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Thorn.

--------------------
and the porpoise was waving "goodbye goodbye"

69 Comeback Elvis
Skank Ho
 - posted      Profile for 69 Comeback Elvis           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it all the girls like Thorn?
Bob
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bob           Edit/Delete Post 
Cos he his lovely, and he rides to the rescue of fair maidens in distress.
Even though, i'm like, a bloke. Dude.

[ 27 June 2003: Message edited by: Bob ]

--------------------
and the porpoise was waving "goodbye goodbye"

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
If it's any consolation, all the boys like you, Elvis.
Bernie
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bernie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, to clarify.

You've got a good point there, VP. And I feel qualified to comment as 8 years ago my eldest son was diagnosed with Asperger's (albeit to a very mild degree). The difficulties he encountered on the social skill front have been 'managed' by me and his father to the point at which they are now pretty much non-existent. Asperger sufferers tend to take things very literally so we had to teach him about irony and sarcasm. Over the years he's got faster at working out when people are being sarcastic etc.

Notwithstanding the above, I still don't want to meet Harley. He may not have received the nurturing necessary for him to develop into a fully-rounded member of society. And it's possible that he has some sort of condition which makes social interaction difficult for him. But he still holds some views which I find pretty difficult to stomach.

However, I take your earlier point about the playground thing, and you are right. It's too easy to slip from disagreeing with him into just being plain mean. So I'll stop it.

I'll let you off on the (almost) assumption you made about my social advantages, given that until yesterday morning, almost everyone* assumed that I'm a man.

*On TMO, not in RL, I hasten to add!

--------------------
She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+