Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » The Obligatory (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: The Obligatory
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh for fuck's sake.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FUCKING NOOOOO!!!!!
not...
MY GOD! TYPICAL FUCKING ENGERLAND
not...
fuck fuck fuck

Now lets wait for the next goal from Sweden.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last minute winner please please please

--------------------

not...
The final minute.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
nice doing business with you, not....

--------------------

not...
*breathes*
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bandy says: stupid england. throw in. you idiots [Mad]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was reading this lighthearted take on last night's action and was intruiged by the following comment:

quote:
More than a few Germans turned out for the match wearing England colours. Honestly, could you imagine the reverse happening in England?
I really couldn't. However, is this merely a German ploy to 'win us over', considering certain historic events, or is it simply a good-natured gesture bearing in mind they are the host country and thus, must be 'promoting' the other teams involved?

Arguably this is a sensitive question, however I'd be interested to know what other England fans think.

[ 21.06.2006, 06:57: Message edited by: Zygote ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wolf in sheeps clothing is still a murdering Nazi scumbag.

*folds arms; nods wisely

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easy to get embarrassed about our Eng-er-lund chanting fellow countrymen but, from what I hear, many foreign types just see a huge crowd of supporters having a gigantic street party during the group games in the way that most countries only do when they've actually won the bloody World Cup.

This is quite infectious, understandably. Even the Australians commented on it during the Rugby World Cup when the support for England in Sydney was stronger than the local support for their own team.

I actually quite like the idea of the English being famed for a cold lack of passion whilst simultaneously out-partying any other nation on the planet.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Arsenal's van Persie came inside Ricardo Carvalho"

Lollo. Anyone else been watching the hilarious debacle that was the Holland v Portugal match?

Looks like we'll be facing a Portugal denied the services of Costinha, Deco, and if justice is served Figo, not to mention the doubts over Ronaldo's fitness after the foul on him tonight which saw him subbed off. I wonder what new and interesting way we can find to fuck this one up?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in hysterics for most of the second half. That match was absolutely incredible. There's nothing England can do - surely - that would be as embarrassing as either Holland or Portugal in that match. What a mess.
dang65
it's all the rage
As I was watching that match I was having flashbacks of Portugal being a really dirty team, but I don't know where from. Presumably I'm remembering some game or other from Euro 2004? They just look so cuddly and nice, but they're actually right sneaky little bastards, forever diving and putting in nasty hits while the ref isn't looking (which was most of the time last night).

Trouble is, like in WWF wrestling, it's always the dirty bastards that win in big football tournaments.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was proper top notch entertainment. I loved the way everything just spiralled out of control and the Dutch formation rigour visibly collapsed and descended into savagery.

Entertainment value aside, it's actually really shocking to see that the players genuinely seem to think they can get away with that. I mean, when your team is down to ten men, why would you keep giving away silly fouls? It's like they actually don't know the rules of the game. It's just unbelievable to see an experienced player like Figo, captain of his team and presumably aware of the attention of the Porguguese media, do something so retarded.

I did enjoy the shot of Deco and the other Dutch sent off (Van Brugeeergharlltwseeriojeer or something) sat glumly side by side looking like naughty kids who got banned from the sandpit for kicking sand in other kids' faces. They were both clearly thinking, "this is fucking silly."

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fucking quiet here today, no screaming of 'Nederland, oh Nederland' and 'Hup Holland Hup' or 'Aanvallen !!!', just a street full of sad looking road workers, faded streamers and half hung orange flags fluttering their last in the drizzle..

I watched the match at home last night, part of me wishes I'd gone out to watch it, but when Portugal scored I stood and cheered, I've had enough of the Dutch hype surrounding this World Cup (Much I suspect as I would have done of the English hype if I lived back home)

That match will be marked down in the World Cup history as not only a match breaking the yellow card/red card record but also for a display of what can only be called 'poor sportsmanship' on behalf of both teams, though I thought the Dutch international diving squad looked the poorer in behavior and I felt no pity for them as they simply collapsed into thuggery and pratfalls.

So, Portugal then...

Maybe if Beckham can keep his lunch down this time and Roon keeps playing like a steam train in shorts we have some small chance.

[ 26.06.2006, 05:13: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
So, Portugal then...

Maybe if Beckham can keep his lunch down this time and Roon keeps playing like a steam train in shorts we have some small chance.

Wasn't it the case that we should've beaten them last time? Sol Campbell disallowed goal which ended up with the Swiss ref retiring with stress after he was flooded with hate mail!

There's no real point in analysing the teams, or looking at past form or anything rational like that. In typical fashion one never ever knows with England. On the right day they could beat anyone. And on the wrong day they can, and often do, lose against anyone. Might as well flick a coin really.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found these Strachan quotes in my inbox. They're old, but good.

Southampton manager Gordon Strachan on Wayne Rooney :
>Its an incredible rise to stardom, at 17 you're more likely to get a call
>from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson ".
>
>-------------------------------
>
>Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England
>squad?
>Strachan: I don't care, I'm Scottish.
>
>
>Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
>Strachan: "Velocity" <walks off>
>
>
>Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the
>right man to turn things around?
>Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I
>said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."
>
>
>Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
>Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry
>one, that's for sure.
>
>
>Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
>Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.
>
>
>On Augustine Delgado:
>Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt
>to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather
>than Augustine Delgado.
>
>
>Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get
>your first win under your belt, won't you?
>Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother
>answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.
>
>
>Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
>Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. 'I'll go home, become
>an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge.
>
>
>Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
>Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm
>going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.
>
>
>Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
>Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.
>
>
>Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
>Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.
>
>
>Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesborough were better
>than you today?
>Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there....

[ 27.06.2006, 06:33: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
snurflelol

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
It's funny how England have gone into this World Cup with their best team and best chance of winning for many years, and now it turns out that every other bastard has too. [Mad]

Except France.

[Mad] [Mad]

[mumble] nice one froggies [/mumble]

dang65
it's all the rage
 -
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So anyone care to call the next four games?

Germany vs Argentina - I think Germany may just pull the home advantage on Argentina - yes undeniably they have been the team of the tournament but my gut says they may have played their best too soon (either that or yesterdays Chicken Tandoori is repeating again), and I think Germany may nick it - could be a close one. 2-1?

Italy vs Ukraine - Gotta go for Italy - Ukraine seem to be the side that have got this far on luck and I really cannot see them upsetting the Italians here - 3-0?

England vs Portugal - I think we may get through this one with the usual patented "England Scrape", but I think that will be the last win we see in this tournament sadly - with probably Brazil in the next round we look pretty screwed. 1-0?

Brazil vs France - Meh. 3-1

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just sent the following off for the Predict The Score compy I'm in. I'm hoping to scrape some bonus points for the extra detail I've included:

Germany 2 Argentina 3 (I also predict that whoever wins this will go on to lift the trophy)
Italy 2 Ukraine 0 (there will be at least one red card in this game)
England 1 Portugal 2 (Portugal score a contentious goal in extra time)
Brazil 2 France 1 (Henry gets a dodgy offside goal disallowed and does his outraged frog face before being carded for protesting)

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Ukraine seem to be the side that have got this far on luck

I'd have to disagree with that, against Spain they were initially overwhelmed but were looking like getting back into the match despite being 2-0 down until one of the worst decisions of the tournament so far, resulting in a penalty for Spain and a man sent off for Ukraine (instead of a yellow card for Torres for diving). Their other 2 group games they won on merit, although they didn't have a very strong group. Their last match against the Swiss was abysmal, but as far as I could see that was mainly down to the Swiss and their candyass 10 men behind the ball at all times tactics, Ukraine seemed nervous about pushing too many men forwards because the Swiss were just waiting to try and catch them on the break. Ukraine were still clearly the better side though, decent passing/running moves and skill as opposed to the lump it and run tactics of the Swiss.

Anyway, I'm going for:

Germany 1 - Arentina 2
Italy 2 - Ukraine 1
England 2 - Portugal 1

and perhaps most controversially:

France 2 - Brazil 1

A combination of gut feeling, and the fact that France seem to be peaking at the right time, look very solid at the back, and Brazil look utterly, laughably indept at the back. I can see the froggies restricting them to one goal, but Henry or someone poaching a couple against a defence which leaves so many gaps at the back.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going for:

Germany -7 - Arentina 36
Italy 0 - Ukraine 1,000,000
England Lots and lots - Portugal Nuffink
France Disqualified - Brazil Disqualified

--------------------
sweet

George the Robot
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for George the Robot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany 2-2 Argentina. Argentina to win on penalties. The new Germany are playing brilliant, attacking, powerplay football, in contrast to the dour, ruthless efficiency of old. The new Germany are also going to be shit at penalties - hoorah!

Italy 1-0 Ukraine. Italy will ponce around for a while being obviously superior to their limited opponents, whilst not threatening to score. After 80 minutes they will suddenly realise that they need to score at least one goal to win, and will duly oblige.

England 2-0 Portugal. Lampard (if fit) will crash one home from 25 yards to finally break his world cup duck in the first half. England will then defend desperately for most of the second half until Rooney pops up with a cool finish to send Blighty into delerium.

Brazil 2-1 France. Tough to call. I think Brazil will just have too much for the French.

[ 30.06.2006, 05:12: Message edited by: George the Robot ]

--------------------
murr.

dang65
it's all the rage
I think it's funny how England's route to final victory in this World Cup has been/will be strewn with our arch-Nemesises, our permanant Achilles' Heels.

1. Sweden - didn't matter this time, but still stands at 38 years without us beating this completely average and under-achieving footballing nation...

2. Scolari/Portugal - knocked us out of last Euro, but if we do get through against them (with an Argentinian referee, incidentally *humourless laugh*), then it would be...

2. Brazil - knocked us out of last World Cup when managed by Scolari, but if they manage to lose their 1/4 final then we get...

3. France - just our arch-Nemesis in everything, but if we get past either of those then we'd almost certainly hit a final against...

4. Germany - *tumbleweed* or...

5. Argentina - *faints*

When a team has as many arch-Nemesises as that they've surely got to start wondering if it's possible that they could actually just be completely shite, rather than simply Nemesis-ridden.

Still, this could be our year, eh.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany V Argentina looks like going to penalties. Been a bit scrappy but there's really been very little to choose between either team. Germany are looking stronger now although Argentina are still moving the ball around better. If it goes to penalties, it's really anyone's guess.
Black Mask

Fack! The ref's an Argey!

--------------------
sweet

not...
quote:
Originally posted by George the Robot:
Germany 2-2 Argentina. Argentina to win on penalties. The new Germany are playing brilliant, attacking, powerplay football, in contrast to the dour, ruthless efficiency of old. The new Germany are also going to be shit at penalties - hoorah!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rooney!
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's it for another 4 years - the dreams of millions crushed again by a penalty shoot out, the thorn in England's side that seems to be our constant downfall.

But there were times last night that England played with genius - in the first half their control of the game was nothing short of magnificent, and for a short time there, they actually looked like a side who could go all the way. But of course there had to be someone to piss on their chips - the diving by the portuguese and acting was nothing short of disgusting (notice how after Rooney was dismissed they managed to keep their balance so much better?) - the referee had a lot to answer for - two denied penalties, one of which was most definately a foul I think, and at times a definate bias to our opponents. Rooney's sending off was questionable - having four portuguese players having a go, one push away from him and a straight red card? In the premiership it would be a yellow perhaps.

And then there were 10 - but you would not have known - they still applied pressure and defended valiantly. Portugal were not the better team, but after the 120, its them bloody penalties again - before they started I knew we were out, as I guessed many did.

So Brazil join England in the departure lounge for regular pastures, while France, and undeservedly Portugal go through to join Italy and hosts Germany for the Semi finals. And contrary to xenophobic and crap comedienne Helen Ledbetter who on Breakfast this morning claimed that none of us wants the Germans to win - well I do. They have been fantastic hosts, welcoming, friendly and accomodating and have made this the best World Cup as far as hosting is concerned. And I think they can do it, and what is more, deserve it. So jetzt geht's los!

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Vogon Poetess

Well, we got beaten fair and square on penalties. The Porguese goalkeeper was brilliant and that can't be denied.

We played better with 10 men than 11 and deserve credit for not letting Portugal dominate and for still creating chances. However, we still never looked like a team worthy of progressing further, not when you look at the other quarter final teams. France were poor in their group games, but stepped it up when it mattered. England did not.

I take back calling Hargreaves average- he played his arse off and never stopped going for it. His best England game by a long way. Ferdinand also had a good game and Lennon continues to impress. C Ronaldo- what an irritating little cnut.

Did anyone else notice the big St Georges flag hung near the corner post at one end that clearly had the word "minge" printed in one quarter- visible to however many millions were watching each time a corner kick was taken? Genius.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
Was reading this lighthearted take on last night's action and was intruiged by the following comment:

quote:
More than a few Germans turned out for the match wearing England colours. Honestly, could you imagine the reverse happening in England?
I really couldn't.
If Portugal manage to wriggle their way to a final against Germany, I'd say this wasn't just imaginable, but inevitable.

This topic is comprised of pages: 8 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+