Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Just when should you call time? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Just when should you call time?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Now, anyone know where they might need an Oracle DBA??

Well, if you need one in the UK, it's a popular career:

quote:
Oracle jobs
We currently have 1932 Oracle jobs.

source: totaljobs.com circa just a minute ago

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Well, if you need one in the UK...

Jesus, NWoD, he's not that desperate.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That blows..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that dude, on the bright side now you're a trained DBA the world is very much your oyster - every time I look on Jobserve they've got Oracle DBA jobs coming out their ears..

Get Alan to buy you a pint or 3, do some drunken bitching about how shit the job was anyway (there's nothing more cathartic than a good drunken rant) and then in the morning marvel at just how many companies are desperate for an Oracle DBA..

Oh and if you fancy a change of scenery next month I've got a spare ticket for the local ale festival on November 8th (Kyle will be there to give us the benefit of his professional expertise as well..).

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one of those days....

Started off I made contact with HR about why my supposed salary agreement was actually not being met, and my income is less than I was getting 4 years ago. It seems on completing my probation my salary was to rise to the agreed level, but the Chief Operating Officer has ignored the paperwork on this, and now if there is any chance of getting what I am owed I have to go and virtually beg to the receivers. Add to that the bank is going to be bailed out by the shareholder, but in all probability then just be closed down.

Then I got another call about I job I did for five years for a major bank which I was perfectly qualified for - and it turns out they haven't even bothered to put me on the short list.

And now, to make matters worse someone else just rang up after an interview I had on Friday to offer me 60 grand a year, a career path into management and a client facing role in which I will also get my oracle accreditation and can I go to the office on Wednesday to hammer out the small details?

I can't work my life out at times.... [Confused]

[Wink]

[ 27.10.2008, 10:43: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Waynster!
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another one of those days....

someone else just rang up after an interview I had on Friday to offer me 60 grand a year, a career path into management and a client facing role in which I will also get my oracle accreditation and can I go to the office on Wednesday to hammer out the small details?

Bloody fantastic Waynster. Oh yeah!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on. No one else is congratulating you. This is dark dark humour, isn't it? You weren't offered 60 grand, were you? [Frown] There was a winky there. Oh.

I'm sorry. I wish you had been.

[ 29.10.2008, 04:29: Message edited by: sam ]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news, Wayne.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam are you apologising for being confused?

--------------------

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
Hang on. No one else is congratulating you. This is dark dark humour, isn't it? You weren't offered 60 grand, were you? [Frown] There was a winky there. Oh.

I'm sorry. I wish you had been.

No the winky was more for the first part of the paragraph - I go to the office this afternoon to get the official offer, but the salary expectation is what I asked for (In euros mind) and they phoned monday to say they wanted me to go down to do the paperwork.

It's all a bit messy really as I am now in a bit of a legal mess due to the verbal agreement of my salary rise where I work which is now 2 months late, but this morning by senior boss said they 'would make a decision' on it all next week. The problem is I can't understand what decision needs to be made about my current situation - it was agreed that my salary would rise on passing my probation, and that I did 2 months ago - however my current employers have not actioned it - are they to decide if I have passed my probation or not, even though I have carried on working for 2 months without any reason to think I have not continued, or are they just going to make a decision to go back on what I signed for on my contract? Either way I'm pretty sure I am out of here, and for a much better job - forgot to mention they might want to send me to India to set up an operation there as well - so its all looking very positive - I'll know for sure this evening.

And thank you for the kind words everyone - its people like you lot whose encouragement has made me keep faith in myself to walk away from a bad situation and into a hopefully far better one. You all rock!

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See? I told you everything would be okay.

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Either way I'm pretty sure I am out of here, and for a much better job - forgot to mention they might want to send me to India to set up an operation there as well - so its all looking very positive - I'll know for sure this evening.

If you get the new job, it's really important to string along your old company a lot. Go sick on the last fortnight and call them saying you might be feeling better soon, but you'll have to make a decision. Then simply don't go in again.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

That'll learn em.

--------------------

Waynster

Fuckers:

After our meetings, you didn't hear anything from us. We had to make a difficult decision at DBAWORKS. Due to the economic crisis and the market situation we have decided to cancel all the actions we have made. I like to appoligise for that and hope you will understand.

Looked me in the eye, shook my hand and offered me a job. And then can't even pick up the phone to tell me, just sent an email through.

Back to the bloody drawing board....

--------------------

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that dude.

I've been looking for a new job as well, out of a desire to work for a company who actually have a clue about the value of good Business Intelligence and are prepared to spend a few quid to put a decent solution in place rather than out of necessity mind. It seems that there are literally hundreds of well-paid DBA jobs going in this country at the moment - if you can't find anything in Clogg-ville you've always got that as a backup..

I just wish there was a company near/on the coast who wanted a skilled and highly experienced Business Intelligence developer, all seems to be DBA and web-development jobs near the coast for some reason..

Waynster

I wish you luck mate but with your skillz you should be ok.

I'm considering a lot of things at the moment, but a little flurry of activity this afternoon means I have not given up hope yet - a couple of calls from agencies about a slight deviation in my career might bring a little hope, mainly in that both (different) jobs are with one of my ex-employers whose internal systems I know quite well.

Worst comes to the worst I will just ride it out and sign on the rock and roll next year (though this may piss of Ralph) [Smile]

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+