email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Computer/Internet issue

Author Topic: Computer/Internet issue
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning.

I booted up my home computer this morning for my ritual of self-abuse. However, from when I started the computer to when I went to sit down and load up pinkworld, Microsoft had cheekily decided to install an update without asking me and then restarted my computer.

Now, this might not be the problem, but it's the only thing that has changed since last night when my internet was fine.

Anyway, the computer restarted and everything seemed fine, however, upon launching firefox it would not connect to any web pages. (not even google which is generally a good one to try to see if there are serious problems).

So, I thought maybe it was a browser problem, so tried Opera and again it wouldn't connect to anything.

So, obviously I assumed it was an ISP problem, as even though the Internet light was on on the router, it could have been lying to me. So, I opened up a DOS prompt and did a tracert to www.google.com and www.hotmail.com, both of which resolved fine.

So, this means that the computer is connected to the internet, however it won't load anything in a browser. (I also tried to open something in telnet but that wouldn't work either).

So, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you use ZoneAlarm by any chance?

Windows update leads to web black-out.

How many people must there be out there with no secondary web access at work or whatever that are now completely in the dark. Shocking.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do use Zonealarm indeed. Lovely stuff thanks very much dang!
Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I got this yesterday, and had to revert back to Windows own firewall. Thought ZoneAlarm had had an eppy. Cheers D.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/09/dns_fix_alliance/

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Lilo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lilo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My office has been offline for two days, and in the middle of book fair appointment fun times when everything I do is done by email, because of motherfucking Zonealarm. It changed all our settings, with no warning, and left us all relying one on Blackberry for four email accounts. This week has been NO FUN.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doesn't say much for your IT department then as there are several ways to fix it.

I won't go into the fact you are using a software based firewall for an office environment.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Lilo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lilo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't have an IT department.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Who needs an IT department when you have a torch in your toilet?
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a torch in your toilet or are you just pleased to see me?

...God. I'm so bored.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+