email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » graff art (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: graff art
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm going to some show by a dude called Sickboy tonight. apparently he's good or something. what other graff art is awesome? one my fave artists in the world is jean michael basquiat so really i ought to know more, but i don't. because i am rubbish. teach me benway.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graff-andalism, more like! [Mad]
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am going to an event tonight where I know fuckall about the subject matter. Can anyone point me to some credible information so I can totally look like I have a clue because I can't be bothered to be interested in it, just appear so.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, apart from wikipedia?

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vikram, there's a man called Banksy who does a lot of graffitti. Some of the images are very droll - like the one of a third world child being led away by Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald. In fact you can recreate this kind of art by combining any artifact of Western pop-culture with any genuinely harrowing piece of imagery. 9/11 is a good starting point, if you're out of ideas, which is likely.

See also: Images of Princess Di with any word at all superimposed on them.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, this Sickboy character sounds like a fucking idiot.

quote:
- What do the temples in your paintings symbolize?
The temple icon has become what people know me best for. It is meant to represent love and positivity in the shape of a building.

Thorn Davis

quote:
What do you think of the way grafitti is just as likely to be found in a gallery as on the streets these days?

I think it's making a lot of people create substandard work in the name of making a bit of quick cash.

Mmm.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the link between Basquiat and graffiti is bogus. JMB was about urbanising and commodifying sacred vodon art, while graff is/was using the techniques of graphic design to legitimise an emerging urban aesthetic in the art-world. They're both about recuperation and reification, but that's where I'd draw the line. You could talk about graffiti as a radical attempt at urban environmental modification, it's nascent independence from the hip-hop scene that spawned it or even it's formal limitations as an ephemeral 'event'.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just point at the canvasses and go "Gnarly, dude!"

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the one with the coppers bumming. It's well book.
Makes a valid point as well.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about graffiti. When I think of graffiti I think of expensive coffee table books from Selfridges. I don't really have an opinion on it, and no real strong feelings. I suppose I tend to prefer the old school style of just writing your name in the most elaborate way possible. Banksy is alright I guess, but I think that they should have knocked it all down / painted over it rather than preserved it. Graffiti tends to be of the moment, and artists should accept that it'll get painted over or removed relatively quickly, either by authorities or rivals. Keeping it and selling it seems to be missing the point, and it moves from being graffiti to simply easily co-opted iconic imagery for the middle classes, destined for Urban Outfitters and limited edition japanese trainers. I suppose that's the fate of any popular art though. It's not like I give a tinker's cuss one way or the other about this. Too tired. So damn tired.
McDirts
TMO Member
VILLA R SHIT - TRUE

that'll be £25 000 please.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've really got nothing to say about anything.
vikram

do ya wannaz come tonight, benway? been ages. free booze i expect. promise my friend won't take pics of dead homeless people 'for a magazine'.
Black Mask

IVING WEE TYKES WILL BE KNEECAPPED AND EATEN

--------------------
sweet

Kanye West
TMO Member
can't do tonight, but I agree that it has been too long. I got some time off coming up. We should have a drink.
vikram

yeah let's stalk coco sumner together.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But ok, piss ripping aside here's a torrent to a documentary I watched recently. It's about a graf artist who spends his time in the parisian ruins below ground level. I don't want to give too much away, but basically because of the old architecture in Paris, there is a large amount of catacombs and tunnels below the street level. For years, a sub-culture has existed down there and the graf artist, Psykose is trying to record it whilst at the same time spend his time getrting wasted and tagging all over it. It started as a documentary on grafitti and eventually became a documentary on cataphiles. Within the footage lies an argument between vandalism and creativity. Whatever, just watch it and tell me if you enjoyed it. I recommend it.

[ 03.12.2008, 15:04: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

vikram

i don't really care but thanks nowod and barry. the show was so much fun. bumped into loads of people. and am helping organise a show this weekend. courtesy of the corporation of london (we hope! our venue got cancelled so my many phone calls to them hopefully work out, saviours they may be). fun times
vikram

i mean thanks nwod and barry. the rest of you sarky fuckers, well..
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
i mean thanks nwod and barry. the rest of you sarky fuckers, well..

Wow vikram, no wonder you're the toast of TMO. You asked for some help, people provided it (along with some regular TMO shit-talking) only for you to say "i don't really care" and calling everyone sarky fuckers. Top thread!

--------------------
supa scrub

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I too am going to an event tonight where I know fuckall about the subject matter. Can anyone point me to some credible information so I can totally look like I have a clue because I can't be bothered to be interested in it, just appear so.

How is this not being a sarky fucker?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Kanye West
TMO Member
hilariously, last night I made too much soup. TOO MUCH SOUP!
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You nutter.
Kanye West
TMO Member
soup here, soup there... what a night!
Kanye West
TMO Member
I wonder if any other readers have made too much of something?
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have made too many children. Unlike soup, you can't just toss them in the bin. Not without the law showing up at your front door.
McDirts
TMO Member
I made too much cock for all the sweeeet sweeeeet ladies out there. Right ladies?
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
I wonder if any other readers have made too much of something?

There was a time when I didn't know that a "clove of garlic" is just one of those things on the left and not the whole thing on the right, which is called a bulb.

-

Anyway, that was a very tasty meal. But there was a bit left over, yeah.

mart
What we all want to know, Benway, is what you did with all that leftover soup.

Other forums on the internet are discussing the possibilities, with some interesting fictional accounts of what people think happened, and some fairly heated debated about whether you froze it, left it in the fridge, or whether it would be fine just left in the pan overnight.

Some are even saying the soup is probably going to be even better today than last night. Nigella Lawson has dipped her toe in, and suggests using it as a first course for tonight's dinner.

Kanye West
TMO Member
okay, good question mart. The fallout from the overproduction went like this. I raided the cupboard that contains all the plastic pots and boxes, and then tried my best to match up some lids with their containers. I found two that would work - a massive one and a smaller one. So I filled both of those and stuffed them in the freezer. This left around 1/4 of the marauding slop still seething in the pan. I ate some, forced The Female to eat some, and suggested to her that she have some for lunch tomorrow. She agreed to do so, but I'm pretty sure that she didn't take any. So I left the unfrozen soup in the pan, and there it still sits. Reckon I'll have some tonight, and put the rest in the fridge. Johnj might be staying round mine on friday, so I'll force feed it to him. I certainly won't want to touch any more the fucking stuff. Christ. Worst case scenario is that I leave the big frozen batch in the freezer until christmas, then take it to visit my parents.

[ 04.12.2008, 07:14: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

mart
This is an example of the kind of thing people are writing.

quote:
Benway entered the kitchen to find a voluptuous, raven-haired woman in her late 40s dipping her toe into his pan of soup.

"Darling!" she exclaimed. "I'm just tasting your soup. It's sooo good. Thick and gooey. Mmmmm. Feed me, Benway. I like it hot and salty."

A raised eyebrow was all the emotion Benway betrayed. Steely eyed, with a laconic quiver of his earlobes, he gently helped the woman down from the cool marble counter. He was tempted to suck her toe as he did so, but decided to play his hand tighter, and carefully wiped the digit with a piece of three-play kitchen towel.

"I made too much," he said simply, meeting her wide-eyed gaze with a level stare.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," she replied, her tone falling somewhere uncomfortably between coy and whore. "I could lap it up all night with my tongue."

"Be my guest, sugar," said Benway quietly. The look on the woman's face suggested she was unsure if he was utterly disgusted with her, or inviting her to play her game further.

And so on.
Kanye West
TMO Member
those other forums sound pretty good.
mart
You probably know about SoupFiction.net already.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what kind of soup was it, dude? I'm a bit of a soup maker myself...my specialty is a root vegetable concoction I call 'root vegetable soup'.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+