Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » lottery winner (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: lottery winner
Helen Back
5'10 and a cockless stunna
 - posted      Profile for Helen Back           Edit/Delete Post 
A cop has just won over 2 million on the lottery and the first thing he is going to do is buy a new SKODA. What does this say about him? knob?

Do you think the car you drive mirrors your own image? Can a car give away someone's personality?

I drive a Hyundai coupe 2003,sleek, fast,stylish and a lot of metal for the price.

--------------------
Helen says she will be happy to answer any questions you might have as long as you don't ask, "Why did you bother to come here?"

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen Back:

Do you think the car you drive mirrors your own image? Can a car give away someone's personality?

I drive a Hyundai coupe ....

-

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I drive a Hyundai coupe 2003,sleek, fast, stylish and a lot of metal for the price.

Holy Christ, I hope this is tongue in cheek.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hyundai Coupe is a shit car compared to it's rivals. I'd rather stick with my Puma.

As to whether or not a car reflects it's owners personality? I would say only if the car were modified, really, otherwise a car is about as ambiguous as your star sign.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work not so long back for the Dutch importers for Hyundai, and whilst the cars seemed to be pretty nondescript, there were posters up for a concept car which was probably one of the sexiest things I had seen on four wheels. Beautiful styling, yet justifiable as an actual as opposed to concept motor. Its the sort of thing that would have Jeremy Clarkson crying into his cornflakes, having to admit it was for a Hyundai, a beautiful car.

But it was a poster of a one off, and no plans were in place then to build it. Probably all mouth and no trousers though - a crap engine, handled like a pig, the usual with most motors.

As for a car reflecting someones personality - probably - Darryn how about a new quiz - what car are you?

Today I am a Polski Fiat 134p. It's just one of those days....

[ 01.09.2004, 04:02: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
there were posters up for a concept car which was probably one of the sexiest things I had seen on four wheels. Beautiful styling, yet justifiable as an actual as opposed to concept motor.

- [Eek!]

Me?  -

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think the car you drive mirrors your own image?

My car, a nice silver four door Clio, is pratical, requires little maintenance, and has relatively low running costs, although I do prefer to run it on premium fuel and have installed a posh stereo.

Can a car give away someone's personality?

I think it can maybe give away someone's rough salary, and/or maybe what their priorties in life are, but only in the most vague and superficial way.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a D reg Volkswagen Passat. The radio doesn't work, but it's been running for many years now and has yet to really let me down. I drove it into a bridge once, when I was in Salisbury and it still managed to wheeze its way home. Like me, it's ugly and almost completely worthless. Unlike me, it still works and will probably continue to do so for many years to come.
Ringo

Thorns car = on the verge of having a breakdown

I don't think my car really says anything abut me other than the fact I like sporty cars and can't afford a 'proper' sports car. It also says I spend way way too much money on stereo equipment.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
o good another car thread!

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
o good another car thread!

If you don't like car threads you could always post here! Although, that thread has yet to be ben approved.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
Sab posted:

-

No thats not it I don't think - I'd not think anything that resembled Pikachu was sexy.

I had a quick look under Hyundai Concepts and couldn't find the one in question.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
As to whether or not a car reflects it's owners personality? I would say only if the car were modified, really

-

Hurray!

Bailey

- posted      Profile for Bailey           Edit/Delete Post 
I have only recently acquired a car - my dad's K reg Vauxhall Cavalier. When I got it, it had these faults:
  • Back windscreen wiper doesn't work
  • Fan only works on full setting
  • Drivers window wouldn't work unless it was a very hot day
  • To unlock the car you had to put the key in the same door you locked it from

It still has all these faults but in the last 4 months has also been in the garage for
  • Replacement of front pipe of exhaust
  • Replacement of middle part of exhast, swiftly followed by back pipe of exhaust
  • New brake pads

I have no idea what this says about me, other than that I am broke from all the garage bills.

--------------------
Maybe you're the mugs.

Ringo

Ah yes, I forgot to mention just how terribly unreliable my car is. Since buying it, the car has the following niggly problems, some of which are simply design faults:-

- fans don't work on '3' setting
- air conditioning smells of cow shit
- tailgate drips water into boot when wet
- rear parcel shelf falls off all the time

And then I've had the following things go wrong with it:-

- front tyres are bald from poorly alligned tracking
- rear tyre replaced with blister
- clutch burnt out completely
- ran dry on oil and valves stuck
- front brakes overheated, cracking the pads and warping the disks
- has trouble starting when hot

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else do that lottery thing whereby you can barely be arsed buying a ticket unless the jackpot is in excess of £10 million?

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

StevieX
Oh, and nope, I don't think that cars really reflect people's personalities, though sometimes I think that they can reflect people's attitudes.

--------------------

The Preacher
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for The Preacher           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by StevieX:
Does anyone else do that lottery thing whereby you can barely be arsed buying a ticket unless the jackpot is in excess of £10 million?

I can NEVER understand this. What kind of tool suddenly thinks "oh look I'll buy a ticket for the FIRST TIME EVER because it's like, such a HUGE jackpot I'm bound to win ?"

Unless they figure that the match 4 prizes etc. are going to be better.

I do the Irish lottery religiously and I don't like bandwagon jumpers. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm off to get a fucking life right now.

--------------------
"People look at me and say, 'oh, he shouldn't be drinking.' If you had to live in my head for a day, you'd fucking drink too." - Ozzy Osbourne

mooch
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for mooch           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No because I dont have a car. That would make me a nobody.

Oh shit, hang on...

--------------------
thick

Good Fairy
We'll be the pirate twins again
 - posted      Profile for Good Fairy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A cop has just won over 2 million on the lottery and the first thing he is going to do is buy a new SKODA. What does this say about him? knob?

I drive a Skoda! I like it. It's a glorified shopping trolley to tell the truth as that's all I use it for, and at christmas (I do have a convertable BMW,but its very old and not to good when its raining)
I also ride a Harley Davidson, highly tuned, which is more fun than any sports car

--------------------
They weren't all your friends and you dont want to be reunited with them

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a scooter. I had a Honda Civic, but the ex got that when we went our seperate ways. Now all I can afford is a scooter.

I was considering doing that car share thing, but it works out expensive for day or multiple day use, and to hire a car per job for me is a pain, so as long as I'm in London and not carrying equipment around, the scooter does the 50cc job.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Hear Ye Hear Ye, this is the historic occasion of me being vaguely interested in car-stuff. I have...a question!

If one had a vehicle to get rid of that could be described as...a blue Astra saloon, K reg, diesel, 1600 engine with some remodelling of the side panels, tax and MOT ok as far as I know, then which of these categories best describes the remuneration you would expect.

a) To pay the scrap yard to take it.
b) £10 and a packet of crisps.
c) £100 +
d) £1000 +

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Good Fairy:

I also ride a Harley Davidson, highly tuned, which is more fun than any sports car

really? i thought they were just loud annoying sofas on wheels.
Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
If one had a vehicle to get rid of that could be described as...a blue Astra saloon, K reg, diesel, 1600 engine with some remodelling of the side panels, tax and MOT ok as far as I know, then which of these categories best describes the remuneration you would expect.

a) To pay the scrap yard to take it.
b) £10 and a packet of crisps.
c) £100 +
d) £1000 +

About £300-£500, depending on what you mean by "remodelling". Scratch? Down to bare metal? Dented? Needs new panels?
Ringo

Hey while we've got a car thread, what do people think of the new Nissan Figaro?

Personally - I think I love it.

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt Abby would get £500 for her car. Our last car (bought 3 years ago) was a mint condition L Reg Renault 5, and we paid £500 for that. I reckon she could get between £200 - £300 for it. We should do bets!
StevieX
 -

Is it anything like the old one?

--------------------

Ringo

yes
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
It has a few dents rather than scrapes. The panels dont need replacing, well it has been driving round with them for a while so I assume not. Unless you are fussed about looking c [Cool] [Cool] l, in which case this is probably not the car for you anyway.

Anyone want it?

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who buys a car as anything other than a conveyance from A to B is a knob.

Though I do like the Figaros. I'm not sure what this means.

Abby - I am vaguely interested in your Astra. I have been toying with the idea of getting a car, and something that goes, most of the time, but is not nickable-looking (no offence, like) is just the thing. I shall investigate insurance prices and get back to you...

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
In my not-so-humble opinion, anyone who buys a car as anything other than a conveyance from A to B is a knob.

I would very much like you to justify this statement
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean is that trying to express one's personality via what is essentially just a vehicle reeks of hideous insecurity. cf small-penised men in large red sports cars.

There are many perfectly valid criteria for choosing a car - reliability, safety, boot space, engine size, ease of parking, nice colour, fuel consumption, drinks holder on the dash - but wondering what people will think of you in said car is not one I would add to the list.

However, I am boring and middle-aged and have never had a car worth over £500. Maybe I'm just jealous.

Re Abby's Astra, third-party cover is going to cost about £800. Sacre bleu.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
quote:
Abby - I am vaguely interested in your Astra.
It is in Devon by the way, which might make it more inconvenient...
StevieX
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
quote:

I would very much like you to justify this statement
No you wouldn't dude - it'll only end in tears... [Wink]

--------------------

Ringo

quote:
What I mean is that trying to express one's personality via what is essentially just a vehicle reeks of hideous insecurity. cf small-penised men in large red sports cars.

Ok, that's fair enough. I certainly don't try and compensate for anything with my car, although it would be hard to say that I only use it as a conveyance from A-B, since for me, my car in a means od idendtifying with other like-minded people.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+