Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » lottery winner (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: lottery winner
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by StevieX:
Dutch bikes rock my socks...

Nah dude, USA all the way for bikes..

One day, when I'm richer than I am now I'll have this:

-

The Dyno Glide Roadster 2 metre long lowrider cruiser. I'd spoke her up with some 144's and remove the tailpipes (they're like so gay) and inch in some extra wide fatboy whitewalls...

Now THATS how to bike

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Re Carter's post.

I think I may have been a bit wrong. But not very.

[ 03.09.2004, 05:28: Message edited by: herbs ]

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
My point was that attempting to convey your personality via pulling up in a long-bonneted sports car with a throaty roar is only going to convey the personality type 'arse'.

Also - I would be very grateful if you could tell me how I should pull up in a car to avoid giving the impression that I am trying to "convey my personality".

Are we talking approach speed, revs, gear? Little handbrake flick to get the back round? Cheesy grin and lemon-yellow sweater around the shoulders?

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I could imagine that a spin in your Caterham would be fun, if a little pant-soiling. Fun is a valid criteria for choosing a car.

I wish that the 2wat with the Caterham whose house backs onto mine would sort out the insulation on his HT leads. Every time he starts his engine every TV and radio for a quarter of a mile goes apeshit.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
"Caterham" is a stupid name for a car. It sounds like a shit town in Kent.
philomel
writes bad poetry on walls
 - posted      Profile for philomel           Edit/Delete Post 
In fact it's a shit town in Surrey.

--------------------
the more brilliant her smile, the closer she always seemed to disaster

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
Surrey's quite near Kent, isn't it? That is uncanny.
herbs

quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
]Also - I would be very grateful if you could tell me how I should pull up in a car to avoid giving the impression that I am trying to "convey my personality".

Are we talking approach speed, revs, gear? Little handbrake flick to get the back round? Cheesy grin and lemon-yellow sweater around the shoulders?

Dr C, I do believe you are being deliberately obtuse.
2@
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for 2@           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Is twat some sort of MD?

No, twat is a private equity and hedge funds manager type person.

Who likes cars and things.

[ 03.09.2004, 07:10: Message edited by: 2@ ]

--------------------
Spirito di Munto

2@
TMO Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Is twat some sort of MD?

What's an MD? If it means show-offy deliberately antagonistic douchebag, with an unnecessary number of cars, then I concur.

Contrary to how you must see me, 2@, I am not some saggy breasted, smock-wearing, joyless harridan. I don't think I ever said that cars can't be fun. And I could imagine that a spin in your Caterham would be fun, if a little pant-soiling. Fun is a valid criteria for choosing a car. My point was that attempting to convey your personality via pulling up in a long-bonneted sports car with a throaty roar is only going to convey the personality type 'arse'.

You have a point, my mean-spirited tree hugging (saggy breasted?) compadre. However, depends on how you see a car. If you can see one as a thing of beauty - which you clearly cannot. Pulling up in a long bonneted willy extension may well be just a trick to pull shallow ladies. It may also be because said car is a thing of utter, timeless beauty (cf. Jaguar E-Type, possibly the most phallic car ever built).

You choose your car in the same way as you choose your clothes. Perhaps this is not relevant to you, and you live in dungarees and hi-tec trainers. To criticise people who like to choose cars for image reasons is just a step on from criticising people who dress well as being shallow. Does that make you a hypocrite? Do tell...

And as for being a 'show-offy deliberately antagonistic douchebag', my post was intended not in an 'I am considerably richer than yeow' manner, but rather an 'I'm an enthusiast, obviously put thought into my cars, and am at the opposite end of this debate to you' type post. You envious old hag.

--------------------
Spirito di Munto

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I'm really excited now.

Note - it's actually impossible not to look like a smug **** driving a sports car. The best you can do is avoid buying anything like a Porsche or a Ferrari, as these are perhaps right at the upper limit of *******ness.

A Caterham, however, is perhaps one of the least gay sports cars, because it's an incredibly uncomfortable car. You'd never buy anything so unpleasant to sit in if you only wanted to pose in it. This is only beaten by the Radical, which borders on impossible to drive on the road.

Ringo

Not to mention the fact it would be absolutely impossible to look cool driving this:

-

2@
TMO Member
Ringo - I'm testing a Radical Turbo next month. As the Caterham only ever gets used on track, really (I even trailer it behind the Volvo when going to trackdays a long way away, as it's so completely horrible to drive on motorways), I thought I may as well just get rid of it and go for the Radical.

It's a shame about Porsches and Ferraris, as many of them are really quite good. I used to have a Porsche 993 Turbo S, but sold it after people actually started spitting at the car in the street, giving me abuse at traffic lights and keying it (expensive). Ironically these same 'sorts' now give me 'big respekt' for the Evo VIII, which is possible the most Kevtastic car available new today. Shallow 'car girls' hate it too, which I find sort of funny. They loved the Porsche, natch.

And the Austin Healey is going to make space for an E-type roadster. Because they're lovely (and the big Healey handles like a truck on rollerskates - it's actually scary).

Apologies to non-car people for this post. It was for Ringo, really, the lovable big petrolhead.

[ 03.09.2004, 07:36: Message edited by: 2@ ]

--------------------
Spirito di Munto

herbs

[Mad] I never said that cars could not be beautiful. Did I. Or fun. Or exciting. And if your purchase of a car is for those reasons then fine. Not what i'd spend my hard-earned on, but, like, whatevs. I was taking issue with the Helen Backs of this world who put a good deal of thought into what people will think about them judging by their car.

Same with clothes. Some are comfy, nice to wear, good to look at, but to dress in order to convey a certain personality is contrived, and to judge according to dress is shallow.

PS I nearly edited by 'saggy breasted' post to add the winky wanky factor, but thought no-one would take it seriously. My tongue was in my cheek.

[ 03.09.2004, 07:40: Message edited by: herbs ]

Ringo

What motor does the Radical Turbo actually run? I thought the normal ones ran a GSXR or Hayabusa motor, surely it wouldn't be a turbocharged version?

Also - can I have a go?

The Evo VIII is possibly the most chavvish car going (with the exception maybe of those shitty Rover MG things) which is a shame as the older ones, like the V and VI were really great looking cars. The new one looks like it's been crashed through a Halford shop window and all the bits stuck to it on the way out...

Ringo

quote:
I was taking issue with the Helen Backs of this world who put a good deal of thought into what people will think about them judging by their car.

I would agree that, yes, this is really quite sad behaviour, as it often ends in people buying genuinely shit cars and believing that they are good (cf. MGF). I would say, however, that there is possibly an element of a person's personality expressed by their choice of car, which isn't a result of any conscious decision, rather the persons own personality influencing what they coose to buy. Of course there are far too many other factors (budget being the most significant) involved in choosing a car, that to try and draw any conclusions about the driver from their car* is pretty pointless.

*except people who drive round in things like BMW's, who have proven themselves to be ***** time and time again...

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
quote:
I was taking issue with the Helen Backs of this world who put a good deal of thought into what people will think about them judging by their car.

I would agree that, yes
What about that time you joined in with me with the pointing and laughing at Miffy because her car was purple?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

herbs

People who drive BMWs are an important exception to the 'don't judge people by their car' rule.
2@
TMO Member
quote:
What motor does the Radical Turbo actually run? I thought the normal ones ran a GSXR or Hayabusa motor, surely it wouldn't be a turbocharged version?

Also - can I have a go?

The Evo VIII is possibly the most chavvish car going (with the exception maybe of those shitty Rover MG things) which is a shame as the older ones, like the V and VI were really great looking cars. The new one looks like it's been crashed through a Halford shop window and all the bits stuck to it on the way out...

It is indeed a turbo'd version (I'm pretty sure). I shall be thrashing one round the Nurburgring in a few weekends' time. You could have a go if a) I knew you, b) you were insured, and c) it were my car. So sorry, Ringo [Frown]

The Evo may be ugly as original sin, but it is an absolute revelation to drive. I don't think I have ever driven anything so capable, in any weather, on any road, at any speed. I will never sell it (although I may well remove lots of the horrible factory bodykit and run it on steel wheels). Hopefully this will help with the nsurance - I'm 28, so getting beasted by my insurers.

Herbs - I wanted a fight you, you lentil-eating tree hugging anti-car old drab. Being eminently reasonable is just not fair.

P.S. Whats-her-name that started this thread is indeed a twat.

--------------------
Spirito di Munto

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
What about that time you joined in with me with the pointing and laughing at Miffy because her car was purple?

Peer pressure..
Good Fairy
We'll be the pirate twins again
 - posted      Profile for Good Fairy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I guess, riding a Harley, you probably don't really understand the concept of speed = fun, rather, going in a straight line slowly making a hell of a lot of noise = fun. Right?

You really don't get it, do you?

I'm just saying that I find it strange that you knock something you've never even ridden, its the same as saying a car you never driven handles like shit.

You've never seen my bike, you've never ridden with me.

I'll post a pic as soon as I learn how to do it.
But it is a Sportster (small HD) XLH. not a custom, feet forward model.It has been modded with Stage 1+2 tune, low bars, strengthend swing arm fatter back tyre.
It wheelies away in first and second gear, it goes, I have taken it to an indicated 115mph, but without a fairing, this is painful as the wind tries to pull you backwards off the bike.
I have been on both the Riders Edge and Bikesafe London courses, both advanced riding courses, the opinions of the Police riding instructors on the Bikesafe was, "You can REALLY ride that bike".

I also love cars, I love the growl of a Porsche 911. I have had an Audi coupe Quattro, driven tipper trucks and artics for a living.

I do agree with the generalised view of Harley Owners, I can't stand them with the gleaming bikes and matching gleaming leather, its not me, I am not part of their little world. most people have to ask if my bike is a Harley

--------------------
They weren't all your friends and you dont want to be reunited with them

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nissan Figaro

Thank you for giving a name to my love and to Stevie for a picture for me to sigh over.

I can't drive, and most of the time I don't care - I live in London innit, and always have done, so a car would be a luxury not a necessity. But, BUT, if I were to have a car I would want it to be one of those. I think they're gorgeous. I've seen them around town when sitting in my vantage point, top deck, right hand side, of the bus and I adore them. I want one. If someone could guarantee me one of those cars then I'd learn to drive.

Anyway, I digress, well, not massively. But yes, I don't drive and don't have a car but I did go to the cruise with Ringo the other week and looked at lots of cars that had been tarted up and were being shown off by their owners.

Typically, I was more interested in the vibrating soundsystems and pretty neon lights, but it was a good and interesting - and dare I say fun experience. Actually, I was writing an article on cars on girls (due up on ampnet this weekend, fact fans!) You know - take the non-driving, uninterested-in-cars, daughter of a famous racing driver to the MK Cruise and see what happens, kinda angle.

Um, yeah, so HB's question: can a car give away a person's personality, well yes, to a degree. Should we judge people on their car? No, but do we? Yes, of course we do.

--------------------
uberwench

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Tis, true... The Fairy knows his onions, it's a sweeping generalization to say that all bikes are the same or that all bikers are the same.

Just because something has a reputation it doesn't mean it has to live up to it..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

squirrelandgman
"well thats fucking funny"
 - posted      Profile for squirrelandgman           Edit/Delete Post 
TORQUE!!!

I drive a R reg Renault Megane. The bin men keep bumping it out of the way so they can get to the bins. Committed bin men. Commit the bin men?
It has lots of dents in it.
I bought it off a Japanese colleague.
It is good in second/third gear on the roundabout near the north circular.

Interesting?

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Sorry, I had to end rather abruptly there as a figure came looming in my periferal vision so I faked "doing some work".

Right, yes, so... Judging people on their cars is wrong but its just dealing in stereotypes which we humans love to do. We like to identify and group other people, compare ourselves against them, position ourselves and hope to make us feel good about our lives. We do it with everything, cars, flats, houses, jobs, clothes, boyfriends / girlfriends, coolness of friends / area you live in / places you hang out etc. Why do you think there's this obsession with the eternal list - Top 5 this Top 10 that? Compare and contrast, where do you fit, where do you sit?

Even versions of individuality are conforming to a type of individual. Wanting to conform yet wanting to stand out, but not too far... Calling someone a twat for buying a SKODA = obvious; thinking someone is having a mid-life crisis because they drive a Ferrari = classic stereotyping; Porsche driver = small penis; Volvo's = boring etc etc

Is stereotyping wrong though? Like all things I guess it depends on the circumstance in which you stereotype. It can be a dangerous habit to fall into as you may often overlook something about someone / something as you've already categorised them, but it also provides a quick reference point, other people know what you're talking about and therefore it enables you to "fit in" with the crowd.

Where am I going with this? I don't know! Sorry, I guess you boys want to discuss cars and bikes not the pros and cons of stereotyping.

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
WAIT! I'm not saying anything new am I? I'll get off the thread and back to my stuffing. Sorry. [Frown]

--------------------
uberwench

squirrelandgman
quote:
Originally posted by squirrelandgman:

Interesting?

no.

Is anyone going to watch Torque? I wish they would.
I might be having a nervous breakdown.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Good Fairy:
You really don't get it, do you?

Yes, I get it but I don't agree. You made a sweeping statement that your bike was more fun than any sports car. That's a really hypocritical thing to say when you are try to argue that people should never comment on anything they've never driven/ridden. I don't know if your bike is fun or not, but I would say it's not likely to conform with what I see as a fun mode of transport. Personally I really don't like motorbike, I think they're unjustifiably dangerous and I don't think I would ride one, even to find out how much fun they are. That's my personal preference, and yours is contrary to that. It's not to say either one of us is right, or that the other is wrong, but I like sports cars and you like bikes, and I don't think we are ever going to see eye to eye on this.

Perhaps this is something which you are failing to 'get'.

Besides, I like *modified* cars, as everything else just seems a little bit... generic

squirrelandgman
My Megane has been modified by the bin men.

And by me driving into the kerb outside Co-Op.

My life is quite interesting isn't it.

squirrelandgman
The silence suggests it isn't.
We hate when I do this. Talking to myself.
I am drunk and bored.
I just had a surprising shit though. Surprising as in unexpected rather than surprising as in blue.

I was listening to the radio on the toilet and pow I was pooing.
Has nothing to do with cars or bikes though.

I have never ridden a motorbike. I fell asleep on one at Wigfield farm on work experience though.

Has anyone seen Torque?

edit: surprising spelling

[ 03.09.2004, 09:06: Message edited by: squirrelandgman ]

herbs

quote:
Originally posted by 2@:
Herbs - I wanted a fight you, you lentil-eating tree hugging anti-car old drab. Being eminently reasonable is just not fair.

P.S. Whats-her-name that started this thread is indeed a twat.

Yeah. Sorry about that. I just can't help but be reasonable. And right, of course. That's because I'm led by my 'heart', according to that really quite poor personality test programme last night. I had been rather enjoying our fight too. I'm sure we can re-engage over another hot topic - 'lentils, home-grown or bought', 'is hemp a suitable material for sandals', etc.
StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Nah dude, USA all the way for bikes..

I want a Gazelle on the grounds that they are top 'serious' bikes, are tough and they seem to last like nobody's business.

My only American bike experience was a Schwinn I had as a kid; pretty rickety, but in itself not enough to judge the American cycle industry! I am, however, very taken with these Dynos as fun bikes for around town, but can't find a UK stockist. When my band is famous, I will buy each band member a custom-sprayed one as a gift, and the girlie pink one for MrsX.

-

[ 03.09.2004, 09:38: Message edited by: StevieX ]

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't buying a car that can say something about your personality kinda dependent on having the money to buy the car that you feel is just you? Personally, I would like to think I'm a small racy loking expensive classic model, but by your troth if my budget dictates that I am a maroon fiat panda with one of the doors held on with string and a missing gearbox, than that is what I am.

Whereas with fashion I think it's slightly easier to follow and express yourself as a person no matter what budget you're on (unless you are truly label obsessed), with a car it seems a bit odd to say that you really feel you are a Mercedes person unless you have the money. So all you're really saying is, 'I am a minted enough person to buy this car.'

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Stevie - Dyno are bust, they sold out to GT cycles so if you can get a Dyno Kustom Kruiser get one now..

You want one, buy from the Chopperdome here's a link: http://www.chopperdome.co.uk/

I'd personally go for a BETTY if I was getting a girlies bike though...

-

[ 03.09.2004, 10:17: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
people who drive round in things like BMW's, who have proven themselves to be ***** time and time again...

quote:
People who drive BMWs are an important exception to the 'don't judge people by their car' rule.

i'm starting a new job in four weeks on monday, and it comes with a bmw, so at least i know what you guys will think of me [Frown]

some of us don't get to choose.

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+