Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » When they were handing out taste... (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: When they were handing out taste...
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
I bet you would still end up being influenced by Bowie, Beatles and the Velvets,

You missed the program on the Beatles the other night then?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Well that doesn't happen to be the ambition of my band, anyway. Of course our influences will be evident in our music.

There seems to be a large number of bands around at the moment that are "inspired" by exactly the same sound - and that's when the boredom sets in.

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
I bet you would still end up being influenced by Bowie, Beatles and the Velvets,

You missed the program on the Beatles the other night then?
Yes, because it was on Saturday evening. Why.

--------------------
member #28

New Way Of Decay

I meant to add a winkie and imply that's what I was trying to do.

--------------------

kovacs

I wish I had seen that programme, actually. I would like to see the entire series.

--------------------
member #28

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Yes, because it was on Saturday evening. Why.

Because they weren't classicly trained.
They amalgamated all of their experience from previous covers and in most of the cases, just happened to follow the right scales through previous knowledge of pre-ordained scales. If anything, they were just the first plagiarists. So they probably just ripped off some poor songwriters from Liverpool and cashed in on the hard work of Boethius.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Would anyone here really be happy to listen to music by bands like Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol and Travis for the rest of their lives? I'm sure there'll always be bands like these, but without true innovators (Black Francis, Thurston Moore, Polly Harvey, Kristeen Young, Nina Ramsby, etc), music will do nothing but tread water. Maybe that's what some people want, but not Misc.
kovacs

quote:
Because they weren't classicly trained.
They amalgamated all of their experience from previous covers and in most of the cases, just happened to follow the right scales through previous knowledge of pre-ordained scales. If anything, they were just the first plagiarists. So they probably just ripped off some poor songwriters from Liverpool and cashed in on the hard work of Boethius.

Interesting and in a way takes my point about the prevalence of plagiarism back even further -- you would have to ignore generations of pop music to find a "pure" band who hadn't based their sound on someone else. If it was possible at all.

--------------------
member #28

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Interesting and in a way takes my point about the prevalence of plagiarism back even further -- you would have to ignore generations of pop music to find a "pure" band who hadn't based their sound on someone else. If it was possible at all.

To give them a fair bit of credit, they furthered technological grounds in that they forced the industry to develop larger multitrackers and invented the 'Flange' technique. (no laughing at the back) I guess, for me, as much as I rate what The Beatles did for marketing music, I just try to remember that they were also influenced by 'skiffle' to begin with and cross-bred their writing skills with rock and roll from the US. I don't think you were unfair to suggest that The Beatles were a massive mark in music history and that a lot of bands use them as a reference to creating 'tunes' They're a fantastic template of the perfect band.

The thought that haunts my waking hours is that, in time someone else will have to place the point in history for future bands to refer to. :wince: Oasis perhaps? Keanolpatravow Patrol?

--------------------

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, call me tasteless if you will, but I like Coldplay and I can never understand why people bracket them with Keane and Travis, who to me are totally interchangable and I never know which one of the two is actually playing. To me, Coldplay sound entirely different to these two. It's Chris Martin's voice mostly. He puts a certain inflection the end of his words which I really like.

Am I going to get struck with lightening from the God of Taste now? Or Hippy? Baaaaaaaa.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post 
i used to like saltrock, too.

[Frown]

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

saltrock
There's no accounting for taste, eh?

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not gonna come and ass-whup you for liking Coldplay, Saltrock. And I'm sorry if you think I was singling you out earlier. I think that you were collateral damage in my general infuriation with people who, for example, four years ago thought Travis were the total messiahs, now jumping up and down on them in spiky stilettoes just because they're no longer the hot new act and they can't be seen to be lagging behind the times. The music is still as good, so why not the review?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

saltrock
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I'm not gonna come and ass-whup you for liking Coldplay, Saltrock. And I'm sorry if you think I was singling you out earlier. I think that you were collateral damage in my general infuriation with people who, for example, four years ago thought Travis were the total messiahs, now jumping up and down on them in spiky stilettoes just because they're no longer the hot new act and they can't be seen to be lagging behind the times. The music is still as good, so why not the review?

Ha ha! I misread that originally. Ahem.

I can honestly say I have never liked Travikeane and nor am I ever likely too. I am not a fickle person by nature. I liked Coldplay when they were first around, I still like 'em now. In fact, I *heart* them! So there!!!

[ 02.12.2004, 11:17: Message edited by: saltrock ]

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Please stop while the forum likes you. Do like Misc and I do; Love Guns n Roses, in the dark, on a set of headphones. I hate to say it but sometimes it pays for me to pretend I don't like Altered Images. C P Grogan makes me giddy like Marijne. This is one shameband you need to keep locked up.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
C P Grogan makes me giddy like Marijne.

-

"Hey Mikee, could you help me with my zipper?"

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Travis totally *rock* live, by the way. And Dougie is surprisingly shaggable for an ugly skinny bloke with a big hooter and Boris Becker eyelashes. Who can't dance.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

I wouldn't need a zipper. I would just split her in half to get at the flesh inside.

I would do it with the ease a schoolboy tears the red wax off of a Babybel to cram his maw with cheese.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
I wouldn't need a zipper. I would just split her in half to get at the flesh inside.

I would do it with the ease a schoolboy tears the red wax off of a Babybel to cram his maw with cheese.

I'll be sure to pass that on to her. [Wink]
New Way Of Decay

ITV 2nd December, 17.05pm When schoolboy crushes go wrong - Misc Tarrant looks into the spooky phenommy-nommy-non of the billion to one chance that the MTV personality you wanked over most from 1992-1995 is going to receive an e-mail saying 'my mate fancies you' An all new series of humiliating experiences where a mans very soul is thrown through the wash and hung out to dry.

[ 02.12.2004, 12:11: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

I think we should club together and buy *this for NWoD's xmas pressie.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
lol

--------------------
sweet

saltrock
quote:
Please stop while the forum likes you. Do like Misc and I do; Love Guns n Roses, in the dark, on a set of headphones. I hate to say it but sometimes it pays for me to pretend I don't like Altered Images. C P Grogan makes me giddy like Marijne. This is one shameband you need to keep locked up.

It's too late. The damage is done. *hangsheadinshame*

But if it's any help, I once tried to copy how Clare Grogan danced in the Happy Birthday video when at a Yoof Club disco. I got all carried away and didn't notice that everyone else had stopped dancing and were standing around me in a circle, pointing and laughing. *hangsheadinbiggershame* And my mum had made me have a pageboy haircut.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

You should have done the 'I could be happy' dance instead. Its a sure fire winner.

[ 02.12.2004, 18:15: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-JMJ - just dated, not embarrasing, just dated.

Whilst I'm not a big Jean-Michel Jarre fan by any means, I did accidentally hear his 2002 album called Sessions 2000 and it is sort of ambient, futuristic synth jazz - in the nicest possible way. I'd very much recommend it to anyone that wants to test out their new expensive Hi-Fi.

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+