Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » An Interesting Taste Sensation (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: An Interesting Taste Sensation
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
...that would make most people hurl at a moment's notice.

When romance disappears from any relationship to be replaced with belching competitions, eating pizza off your stomach, using the toilet while your other half is in the shower and dancing involving flailing genitalia, a certain degree of liberation is achieved. Not only is it now possible to walk around with hairy legs in your worst pair of pants and watch your partner doing the same, I find all of the coyness involved in a lot of different areas of life tends to evaporate. Take eating, for example.

Although it's easier (yet horribly glib) to apply this notion to women, i think it works both ways. At the beginning of a relationship, on a nice date in a restaurant, both partners will be concerned that both their table manners and their food adequately reflect them as a person. If a bloke ordered a 14 pound steak and a yard of real ale, and belched and farted his way through the meal, I might be worried about his potential as a partner. If I was a bloke, I'd probably feel the same if a woman did that. Works both ways at the other end of the spectrum, too - anyone eating a green salad and moaning about the lack of organic wheat-free dairy-free gluten-free fat-free low-calorie no-fun food available on the menu is probably not going to rate highly on your list of 'people whose company I will still be enjoying in years to come'. Anyway, after initial flurry of first love and wanting to appear chic, sophisticated and loveable at all times wears off (probably around the time you get pissed and end up drooling kebab in Tooting High street at 5am), how you look when you eat and what you chooose to stuff in your gob becomes less of a problem.

To this end, I find myself now having to share my weird (and previously under wraps) eating habits with someone else. I've always had a thing for fast food, but through sharing my experiences with another aficionado, we've now managed to come up with some unchallengeable equations to dictate at what point each fast food establishment should be considered appropriate. (Some of it was in the life roolz thread, but by no means all. It is rocket science.) Also, I have found a kindred spirit in my passion for fish sticks, eaten with mayonnaise, or in sandwiches with boiled eggs. Oh, and cheese strings. 'Miscellaneous MeatTM', as defined by my brother in a service station somewhere outside of Leicester in 1996, is another favourite. Pork Pies, Scotch Eggs, anything by Ginsters, and those amazing little mini snack eggs that taste great with relish, or chutney. Or mayonnaise, or even dill sauce once. Mmmmm...condiments.

Every time I think we've hit a new low in terms of dirty food, I discover something else. yesterday, we ate a bag of Walkers Sensation Spare Rib and Peking Five Spice Sauce flavour crackers (and I mean a big bag)...with Nacho Cheese dip. I mean, that's fucking vile isn't it? Gross. God it was good though.

So, TMO, I'm pleading wiith you. Don't disappear into the ether and tell me your diet consist solely of macrobiotic whole foods.

What do you just love that most people would find disgusting, be it a product in itself (Tesco Value pasty eaters, you know who you are) or a combination of weird stuff?

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
I am the Life Top Three! Noone has done this since the Beatles.

--------------------

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone will want to be our friends anymore. [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite recentley discovered that consuming a Bannana and a Marathon, or Snickers bar for those under 30, at the same time (ie bite of one, then a bite of the other) is a joyous mouth orgasm of flavours and textures. Much yumness.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

The Truth
 - posted      Profile for The Truth           Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate that neither of the ingredients in the concoction I'm about to reveal can be considered "fast food", however I think that it fits into your category perfectly.

One stick of celery, leave cut off. Fill the channel in the celery with peanut butter (Crunchy or smooth). Eat

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup on toast, or the newly developed Turbo Ketchup (add a little wassabi).

Bread sauce with anything.

Supernoodles in pita.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to cut cheese into little sticks and then use them to scoop out large amounts of Heinz Tomato Pickle. This might be the best food ever. Oh, and you can do the same thing with peanut butter, eating it off sticks of cheese. Or crisps. Or both if you're feeling adventurous.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was very poor and living in a bedsit on the benefit I designed and built the cheapest and most nutritious sandwich in the world. It was:

Slice of bread
Peanut butter
Loads of Lea & Perrins
Slice of bread
Marmite
Salad cream
Slice of bread

One of these around lunchtime would sustain me for any 24 hour period. Mind you, I nearly died of malnutrition, but that was nothing to do with the sandwich I'm sure. Perhaps experts could analyse the ingredients. I'm willing to license it out for the first manned trip to Mars if it proves to be as life sustaining as I believe it to be.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
I have quite recentley discovered that consuming a Bannana and a Marathon, or Snickers bar for those under 30, at the same time (ie bite of one, then a bite of the other) is a joyous mouth orgasm of flavours and textures. Much yumness.

How the hell did you discover this??

Scrawny. I see your Ginsters Scotch Eggs and raise you ready-made microwave burgers from the Texaco in Bagshot. Christ they were bad. But so very good.

--------------------
supa scrub

Ringo

Marmite goes well with strawberry jam in a sandwich too. It's strangely tangy yet sweet at the same time. Like chinese food.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
My current yummy favourite: Chicken Noodle soup. Stir in grated cheese, a chunk of creamed coconut, liberal squirts of both Heinz Salad cream and BBQ sauce, lots of black pepper. Stir and enjoy.

:drool:

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

scrawny
quote:
Originally posted by Bandy:
I don't think anyone will want to be our friends anymore. [Frown]

Y'see, Bandy? Everyone is gross.

There's definitely a preponderance towards condiments here. I, too am prone to using cheese to scoop condiments out of the jar. IN a moment of madness, i may even cut myself a large slice of Stilton, and spread it liberally with tesco finest caremlised red onion relish. and then top it with another slice of stilton.

Also, i have eaten a mozzarella baal like an apple. [Frown]

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
The Truth = sulky teen

--------------------
sweet

Meg
Hubba, hubba, hubba
 - posted      Profile for Meg           Edit/Delete Post 
Layer the following:

Crumpet
LOTS of unsalted butter
Honey
stupidly strong cheddar
More honey

Eat, dribble, lick fingers and enjoy.

I can also quite happily sit down with a tube of bbq pringles and a jar of tartar sauce and make little tartar pringle sandwiches.

Alternatively, just the tartar sauce and a spoon.

I don't buy crumpets, bbq pringles or tartar sauce anymore [Frown]

--------------------
Hail to the king, baby

Ringo

Is that because it's unethical?
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
My body will not tolerate processed foods.

--------------------
sweet

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else catch the McDonalds vouchers in today's metro? Two-for-one meals, free bagels with your coffee, ultra cheap cheeseburgers... This is the first time i've eaten McD's since watching Supersize Me but slap my ass and call me a donkey if it wasn't delicious. I did give the other (free) meal to my coworker though.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Pickled Egg and Galaxy chocolate.

Egg Mayonaise, Tuna, Cheese and Onion Sandwiches.

Crisps with crisp pate - Made by getting one large Cheese and Onion crisp and then chewing up smaller bacon crisps and spitting the chewed much onto the larger fresh crisp to create a crisp pate on a crisp crisp - Yum !

I am of course 12.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
when i was On A Diet, i made a low-fat junk meal of cheese and ham Pasta Nuh Sauce, with processed peas mixed in and a side of cottage cheese for extra dairy goodness. oh, and a tomato, which tasted of absolutely nothing but COLD. as a whole the meal was quite nice, but it looked quite a lot like spew.

other than that, there is very rarely a wide enough variety of food in my house to ever make possible such outlandish combos as those hitherto listed. also, i just dont think that any of these crazy sandwiches you talk about would taste very nice. do they taste nice? i dont believe it. wouldnt it just be better to eat two sandwich that tasted nice? im not sure i get it. who thinks ooh, ive got some cheese, some bread, and some strawberry jam- ill have a cheese and strawberry jam sandwich? why not just have two sandwiches, one of cheese, one of jam, both of which are guaranteed to be nice?

i want a big mac now. oh yeah, it has to be a weird big mac, with strawberry jelly on it, and....bovrilly fishnugs. you people are alien to me.

[ 13.04.2005, 09:29: Message edited by: discodamage ]

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bandy:
I did give the other (free) meal to my coworker though.

How does one qualify for a coworker, and how many cows might one expect him to ork on a daily basis? I'm curious.
Ringo

Jesus Dang...
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post 
peanut butter and marmite.
(its a taste sensation)

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
I drank a banana milkshake the other day, although it made me feel a bit ill to drink that much milk. The moral implications of guzzling down the milk of a cow hit me and made me feel nauseaous.

I quite like the microwave burgers that you get from garages, but I'm usually drunk when eating them. In fact, I'll eat anything when I'm drunk, and will gladly dip into my bin to find half prepared food morsels. Perhaps my worst habit is making food last ages. Like, I can still be eating a chinese takeaway three days after I bought it.

On the whole though, I'm too fucking poor to go out and blow cash on crisps and sweets. A bar of 70% cocoa chocolate sees me through the week, and I snack on whiskey.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
really spongy white bread

peanut butter (preferably smooth)

strawberry jam
layer of ripened bananas

SMOOOOOOSHED down, put in a plastic sandwich baggie, put in fridge for a couple hours.. Eaten with a large glass of COLD milk.

Bliss.

eta:
McD fries with McD's tartar sauce... Back home I could get a little cup of tartar on the side... They don't do that here (cuz customer service is shit) so I have to order a manky fish fillet to get it's tartar goodness then bin the quasi-fish.

[ 13.04.2005, 10:02: Message edited by: sabian ]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Dr. Benway

Chicken Express Tower burgers are alright as well, although a bit pricey. A rare treat.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post 
kebabs.

hot sauce.

squeegy
'small african childe'
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I quite like the microwave burgers that you get from garages, but I'm usually drunk when eating them.

They're grrrreat. Its the hard white bits of cow knucle and hoof I dont like. I'll chip a tooth one day. They must be in league with dentists.

--------------------
supa scrub

squeegy
'small african childe'
Bovril and cheese too.

And cheese and chutney.

Double dip thai sweet chili and sour cream with chips for a real taste explosion.

--------------------
supa scrub

Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by squeegy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I quite like the microwave burgers that you get from garages, but I'm usually drunk when eating them.

They're grrrreat. Its the hard white bits of cow knucle and hoof I dont like. I'll chip a tooth one day. They must be in league with dentists.
for kicks, why not microwave the burger before you pay for it? Get it hot enough and the attendent won't be able to hold it long enough to scan it, so you just have to both stand there and wait for it to cool. It's pure poetry.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on the ginsters and all such things Scrawnus ( I just had 2 Gregg's pasties for lunch and they were goooood), although scotch eggs and porks pies should always be eaten with spicy mango chutney for the full taste sensation. Other than that most of those 'concoctions' just made my stomach turn, and Darryn, crisp pate? you sick, sick man [Wink]

I honestly can't think of anything truly weird that I eat..

Meg
Hubba, hubba, hubba
 - posted      Profile for Meg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Is that because it's unethical?

It's because I'm fat, mostly.

I want a Pringle tree. How ace would that be?

--------------------
Hail to the king, baby

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
I never eat meat "products" like pasties and stuff unless I make them myself. I'm a bit squeamish about stuff like that.

I have a thing for cheestrings at the moment, but that's not really weird. Oh, and I love fruit cake with some strong cheddar and I'll eat just about anything with peanut butter. Marmite and fried egg baps are cool and I love marmite, bacon and chicken sandwiches.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
I love smoked oysters and toast with mustard, which usually turns up noses (though froopy enjoys these too!).

When I was little I was on a mission to make sandwiches with all the sweet stuff in the house: honey, chocolate & fudge & butterscotch sauces, raisins, banana, apple wedges and sprinkled cinnamon for good measure.

I haven't had any strange pregnancy cravings, which has been somewhat disappointing.

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rooster:
I haven't had any strange pregnancy cravings, which has been somewhat disappointing.

The only craving I had was for milk. Gallons of it. I would drink 3 or 4 pints of milk for lunch rather than eat. And now, my poor daughter is allergic to dairy products. Odd huh?

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

Topanga
 - posted      Profile for Topanga           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been known on more than one occasion to order at a diner a side of french fries, and side of beef gravy, dip said french fry into gracy, THEN into ketchup. SO good!

I also like plain tomato sauce (though not sure if that's the same thing there as it is here) with any kind of noodles.

Hmmm...what else, OH, nacho cheese doritos with salsa. Messy, but great.

I haven't had any weird pregnancy cravings yet with this baby either. More food aversions than anything. NOTHING sounds good (besides above mentioned items and fruit), and most things make me somewhat ill to just think of. With my first child I ate loads and loads of sweets. We shall she if that is a continuing trend or not! i just found out today my due date is November 27th!

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+