Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Summer's here and the men look like shite (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Summer's here and the men look like shite
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I never could get my head round the 'pants' as not-underwear thing. There's a Yank film coming out called "Sisterhood of the travelling pants", where a group of teenage girls have a magic pair of pants that fits them all and they send this pair of pants to each other and each of the teenage girls has a section of the film where she goes around, wearing these pants, that her friends have all also worn.

My rational brain knows that 'pants' doesn't mean what I think it means, but part of me still desperately wants to see the film.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
It is a bit like saying "why wear a short sleeved shirt, when you can just wear a vest?"

Aye, I've been trying to get girls to give up the shackles of a bra and don nipple tassles for years and no-one seems to want to join my campaign.

When has Nick Oliveri worn 3/4s ben? I think you lie. He seems like the guy to only wear jet black jeans and a Harley belt buckle set to asphxyiate during the hottest of hot days in Cali.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:

When has Nick Oliveri worn 3/4s ben? I think you lie. He seems like the guy to only wear jet black jeans and a Harley belt buckle set to asphxyiate during the hottest of hot days in Cali.

Surely he's notorious for going on stage naked? I remember him doing this during a catastrophically disappointing show at the Brixton Academy back in 2001.

Actually that's bassist Josh isn't it? That's who I was thinking of, and I think Ben was too.

[ 24.06.2005, 05:41: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord, are people still buying clothes? from shops?

I can't imagine why anyone would not have everything tailored. Live-in Filipinas are such good value these days, they don't take up much space and you're doing your bit for famine relief.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:

Therefore I find it weird that people choose to wear truncated trousers. I also don't think they are very flattering; the wearers either look spindly or stumpy depending on their stature.

Or they look very elegant, showing a hint of well turned ankle and giving a public airing to their favourite shoes.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. OJ, I think you are confusing 3/4 troushorts (as worn by NWoB and teh Omikin) with pedal pushers (as worn by Audrey Hepburn). As someone who can remember the disastrous "pedal-pushers are 'in'" summer of 2002 I'd say you weren't on the firmest ground.
ben

Also: pace Hadley Freeman, I suspect there might be a huge, untapped market this summer for tee-shirts bearing one slogan in particular.

PUT THAT FUCKING MIDRIFF AWAY.

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's no fair that blokes are getting a sartorial slagging when the only time you can differentiate between the average Brit girl and a prostitute is when the weather gets a bit parky.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
NWoB

Explain yourself, that's not a typo.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ben

cHILL Winstan - stands for New Way of Becay.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of the ladies here wearing these tiered Gypsy skirt things this season?

-

They're quite nice, but the thing is they appear to be one of those instant fashions that every other person is suddenly wearing. I went and did the school pickup with my wife yesterday and she told me to look out for them and, sure enough, every other woman that walked into the playground was wearing one.

Presumably something kicked this off. Some respected female role model seen wearing one? Or is there some sort of official instruction that's sent round to this group of women every few months decreeing what they should all be wearing?

Just a couple of months ago it was rolled up jeans that they were all sporting...

-

...but those have now disappeared without trace.

Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
 - posted      Profile for Ganesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Well, yerr - but why not go the whole hog and just wear proper shorts... get more air to your legs and - *gasp* - sunlight. They may not be considered the highest shizzle of fashion but the only person who ever looked 'good' in 3/4s was that bearded guy out of Queens From The Stone Age. Everyone else just looks like they're waiting to be picked up by their mum outside a Limp Bizkit concert.

Depends how baggy y'go. Barring new UN guidelines, there's that whole no-man's-land where long shorts become three quarter length trousers...

I'm not sure why some people prefer three-quarters; I, presumably like yourself, tend to go for just-on-the-knee shorts. I guess it's those who, for whatever reason, are uncomfortable flashing too much flesh (too hot for trousers, too shy for shorts); a rehabilitative halfway house while trying to wean oneself off trousers?

I agree, though, that three-quarter length trousers somewhere between Durst monstrosity and pedal-pusher hideousness can give quite a nice lean silhouette.

Actually, now I remember it, the last time I wore three-quarter trews was in Thailand. Interestingly, at least three buddhist temples, while refusing to admit people wearing shorts into the presence of His Serene Chubbiness, were happy with three-quarters - so the Buddha sees a difference.

[ 24.06.2005, 06:24: Message edited by: Ganesh ]

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
tiered Gypsy skirt things

Lovely Kate from the design studio was wearing one of these the other day. It looked great. I wanted to ram my hands up it.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No, because they look like ra-ra skirts from The 80s. Nor metallic sandals (see also The 80s). Nor white skirts. Just: no.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm. OJ, I think you are confusing 3/4 troushorts (as worn by NWoB and teh Omikin) with pedal pushers (as worn by Audrey Hepburn).
Oh no I'm not (please read this in a panto voice; it's Friday). There are many types of cropped trouser - this season gauchos (floppy, wide, linen or cotton, cropped) are very much a trend. Then there's capri pants, culotte/trouser hybrids, even longer length "city shorts". But I am confusing men's fashion with women's somewhat.

Dang, re: the gypsy skirts. I'm not, for many reasons which can be summarised as - I don't do the girly look lightly and everyone else is wearing them. But the skirt trend is so strong this season that I've made a foray into a full circle skirt in rustling stiff linen with applique. I know you stopped reading about three sentences ago, but it makes me think of Gina Lollobrigida.

The tiered gypsy skirts by the way, are very much a seasonal trend. If you cast your mind back to last summer you may recall every other girl wearing shoes that were turned up at the toes, like mutant pixies. That was another short lived seasonal trend. The turned up jeans have been around for quite a while (I got my first pair of turned up Diesels in 1999) and will crop up, no pun intended, whenever they suit the weather or prevailing fashion. Think of them as a hardy perennial.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a northern thing, Dang, as all the vacuous showing-off-outside-the-pub Leeds 8 ladies were wearing exactly the same thing the other day. With a stupid heavy-metal inspired belt, and Moroccan slippers.

The next day they were all wearing something else.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, because they look like ra-ra skirts from The 80s.

See, that's a rational reaction to fashion, based on a knowledge of the past and a basic concern for personal appearance. But this is clearly not an issue when it comes to sheeplike fashion-following. You just wear it, whatever it is, and if you don't then you're obviously very poor and also old.

It's when fashion extends to cars that you really get into Cheshire territory though. And they have personal numberplates so you recognise them and go, "I'm sure that was an X5 yesterday. Now it's a Mercedes Z-Class. Oh, and there's another one, and another one, and all the drivers are wearing tiered Gypsy skirts. [*wide-eyed look of terror*]"

ben

quote:
Presumably something kicked this off. Some respected female role model seen wearing one? Or is there some sort of official instruction that's sent round to this group of women every few months decreeing what they should all be wearing?

quote:
No, because they look like ra-ra skirts from The 80s.

Oddly enough, I witnessed exactly the moment Dang's talking about when I went out clubbing for my birthday - centre of attention in the bar we were in around midnight was a tall, stunning looking girl who, by some black magic, managed to look awesome in a sequinned white ra-ra skirt. She was dancing with a couple of pals and making a bit of a spectacle of herself and every man in the place was watching her every move.

Best, though, was the tangible sensation that she was also being watched by all the women too - at least a couple dozen of whom would repair to the shops the following day, ill-advisedly determined to replicate that look.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
No shorts or 3/4 lengths. Ever see a gangsta in 3/4s? Shit no. Go to South London, and it's 3/4 length city.. All those pastel wearing bitches, yakking on about hair products and 'ipod killers' whilst wearing elaborately pocketed and ventilated 3/4s. It's sick. Nah, it's jeans all the way, just swap the hoodie for a t-shirt.

3/4s are ridiculous. If I was to stage a clothing holocaust, those fuckers would be with the aviators and hackett polo shirts. Back of the head, mass grave. I'd go down for my fashist war crimes with a Sam from BB smile.

This summer, I'm all about fucked up jeans and fitting t-shirts. Also been teaming some of that Jap crap Muji shit with my strides. A good t-shirt should either be plain or have some good art on it. No fucking mass market brands, and nothing with a number on the back.

I've got an idea for a t-shirt label.. any designers? It's called 'wooden spoon', and it's 'loserwear' - basically a piss take on those twats who walked about in fake 'team' and 'champion' t-shirts. You know ""world finals, champions 1976" and that shit. These are like that, only are t-shrts that proclaim "last place" and "disqualified". Aimed at teens, but would work on any smoked-out suburban depresso-childe.

[ 27.06.2005, 10:03: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

statist
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for statist           Edit/Delete Post 
Duffer.

--------------------
every action has a song!

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As you know, I work in fashion, so all the sluts here have been decked out in these for ages. It's like a fucking uniform.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think, at least, it would make them easier to spot at a distance. Perhaps you could even make a game out of it: Slutspotting.

. . .

Probably bindun.

And for his next rilly grate ideas, he went on to invent fire and the wheel.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
As you know, I work in fashion

How is the Saturday job at Top Shop working out Benway ?
Sorry - I didn't mean that.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+