Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » !!!LONDON GETS THE OLYMPICS!!! (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: !!!LONDON GETS THE OLYMPICS!!!
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uber Trick:
lol excellent. I want to live in Middle Wallop.

There is an Upper and a Lower Wallop as well.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Some of these are good for a laugh.

"
"C'est dégueulasse."

I really love that word. It's one of my favourites, try saying it without a look of utter contempt.

Speaking of which, Louche, enough about Liverpool. Stephen Gerrard's not leaving now so there'll be no mass outpouring of grief to annoy you.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Fifteen minutes of BBC's North West news was about Stephen fucking Gerrard last night. Including exciting shots such as a blacked out car and small crying child fan. On the day there were two armed seiges going on, not to mention myriad other exciting things. The extent of this coverage - exclusively football, exclusively fucking Liverpool made me insane with rage. I had to go to the pub to calm down and everything.

Anyway, Liverpool has citywide mourning on a weekly basis. Steeped in faked up melodramatic attention seeking grief, that city. Grr.

Oh. You said enough about Liverpool, didn't you? Sorry.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anywhere else on the planet where two cites as close together as Liverpool and Manchester have such genuine loathing for each other? They're less than thirty miles apart. The few Liverpudlians that work here have to keep their mouths shut most of the time, which is an absolutely astonishing feat for a scouser.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think the Red Arrows practice the flight of sorrowful defeat in case we didn’t get the bid or do you think somebody went into a burger bar in Islington and asked for a ‘Wimpylympic’ party and the Arrows launched out of a missile silo filled with balloons cakes, and fighter jets.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Is there anywhere else on the planet where two cites as close together as Liverpool and Manchester have such genuine loathing for each other?

Newcastle and Sunderland. One memorable (and memorably sarcastic) piece on the regional tv news when I was living up in Darlington featured probably the most fanatical (and fanatically Mackem-hating) Newcastle fan in the world.

He refused to have anything red/red-and-white in the house, even to the point of not eating streaky bacon because of its being a queasy visual analogue for the Sunderland team strip.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool ! The beach volleyball is to be held on Horseguards Parade (when the queen troops her colour anually), and the shooting events are to be held at Woolwich Arsenal (where I did my basic training)

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

ben

Best French reaction piece yet...

quote:
Charles Bremner, Paris Correspondent of The Times, was in the square opposite the town hall when the news came through:

"I was standing with around 5,000 people, all ready for a party. We were watching the session on two large screens with a French police band dressed in white and standing by, ready to play.

"And then as the moment approached, the sky darkened and a light rain started to fall around a minute before the announcement.

"The news was greeted by silence and disbelief. There was a smattering of booing and some weeping, but most people just started to shuffle away.

"But then the screens cut to London and showed pictures of the celebrations in Trafalgar Square and there was an eruption of booing. At which point the deputy mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, started to speak to the crowd.

"She told the crowd to treat the news in the spirit of fair play and that the process had been fair. And then there was some clapping and the rain started to fall harder and the band started to play a medley of James Bond tunes. It was quite funereal."

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Great that London got it - I was actually hoping they would. Where are they going to put all the people though? Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt. London is so incredibly full that I can't possibly imagine having anything as big as the Olympics there.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
See also Portsmouth and Southampton. What would be really good would be the entire populations of these two taking each other on, until both towns imploded and dropped off the edge of the south coast.

Re The Pool. Any football story is always headline news in both Manc and Scouseland. I imagine Beckham's exit was equally hysterically covered, probably with poignant shots of the number 7 shirt hanging in a merchandise shop and interviews with "stunned and betrayed" fans.

In the aftermath of the GLORIOUS RED VICTORY, I read in one of the (respectable) papers about what a shambles the Turkish venue for the final was: stadium in the middle of nowhere, coaches having to drop fans off about a mile away from the gates, a long walk across debris-strewn wasteland, poor printing and poor lighting meaning it was difficult to read information off the tickets, very few ground staff to direct people to their seats etc. The journalist commented that if the Liverpool fans hadn't been so good humoured about the delays and chaos, there may well have been crowd trouble. Good old Liverpool, eh Louche?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Re The Pool. Any football story is always headline news in both Manc and Scouseland. I imagine Beckham's exit was equally hysterically covered, probably with poignant shots of the number 7 shirt hanging in a merchandise shop and interviews with "stunned and betrayed" fans.

Heh, the best news item I've seen that nice Gordon Burns present recently was the footage of police in riot gear beating Man U fans with sticks after they tried to attack the Glazers. That rocked. I could've taped it and watched it again and again and again. I would've done if I had a video recorder.

quote:
In the aftermath of the GLORIOUS RED VICTORY, I read in one of the (respectable) papers about what a shambles the Turkish venue for the final was: stadium in the middle of nowhere, coaches having to drop fans off about a mile away from the gates, a long walk across debris-strewn wasteland, poor printing and poor lighting meaning it was difficult to read information off the tickets, very few ground staff to direct people to their seats etc. The journalist commented that if the Liverpool fans hadn't been so good humoured about the delays and chaos, there may well have been crowd trouble. Good old Liverpool, eh Louche?
Why good old Liverpool? Because they didn't riot at a bit of inconvenience? Surely we shouldn't be commending them for being basically decent? Did anyone commend the Wimbledon crowds for not having a bit of a riot when rain stopped play? I think it's a bit much to say oh well done for being good humoured just because we''re so used to football violence and hooliganism it's almost expected.

[ 06.07.2005, 11:12: Message edited by: Louche ]

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the implication was that fans from other, lesser teams may have got more impatient more quickly, and created problems for an understaffed and ill equipped venue. But the good old Liverpool fans kept a potentially dodgy situation at bay.

I'd rather see the Wimbledon fans rioting and hooliganising than groaning along politely with Tiger Tim's every fluffed shot, and singing with Cliff Richard. Also, there should be more heckling at snooker matches and crowd chanting at golf games.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I think the implication was that fans from other, lesser teams may have got more impatient more quickly, and created problems for an understaffed and ill equipped venue. But the good old Liverpool fans kept a potentially dodgy situation at bay.

Kind of oh well done, you've moved on from Hillsborough?
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:

Anyway, Liverpool has citywide mourning on a weekly basis. Steeped in faked up melodramatic attention seeking grief, that city. Grr.

Not anymore. These days they're alternated with public floggings (but only for Boris Johnson) and spontaneous eruptions of joy expressed by climbing onto the roof (European Cup winning).

If only Margaret Thatcher would visit, there'd be ritual witch burning too and the NWDA could market the whole area as a mediaeval theme park.

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
Kind of oh well done, you've moved on from Hillsborough?

Boris? Is that you?
Louche
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
If only Margaret Thatcher would visit, there'd be ritual witch burning too and the NWDA could market the whole area as a mediaeval theme park.

An innovative part of the Capital of Culture celebrations, perhaps? But how to incorporate the endless wanking on about the Beatles?
Louche
Louche: Officially the most mean spirited person about Liverpool, ever.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:

and the band started to play a medley of James Bond tunes..."

lol

[ 06.07.2005, 12:26: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
New picture wired across from Reuters. Paris outskirts 16:04 GMT:

-

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

The Stoat
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for The Stoat           Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really, really didn't want this to happen. For the first time in my life, in anything, I was rooting for France.

That's the Lea Valley fucked. Bye bye, Hackney Marshes.

I think I'll spend summer 2012 touring Paris, Madrid, Moscow and New York.

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by The Stoat:
I was rooting for France.

Well, they might need to find something new to replace baseball and softball, so keep practicing and you might be France's first rooting gold medalist.
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about the Olympics and wondering if I could train to become Olympic-standard in something before 2012. I'm not letting the fact that I'm 31, massively unfit and totally uninterested in sports put me off. I'm thinking about synchronised swimming, but has anyone else got any other suggestions?

--------------------
uberwench

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hammer throw?

[ 08.07.2005, 10:00: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

ben

Shot put?
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
From www.hammerthrow.co.uk:

quote:
Hows about throwing a 2ft ball of flame 66m. Well that's what a couple of americans did to celebrate independace day - Crazy! To view the movie go to the bottom of the page on http://www.sorinex.com/living.asp
Crazy.

Uh-oh:

quote:
AAA Championships and Olympic Trials
Women Hammer Final - 16:05, Saturday 10th July
Men Hammer Final - 16:15, Sunday 11th July

At the time of writing there are still some tickets available for the Saturday, Sunday is sold out. Good luck to all who are competing.

I don't think that gives me enough time to practice. Better check out shot putting.

edit: WAIT! There is no video! Crazy lying Americans! What else have they been lying to us about then? [Mad]

[ 08.07.2005, 10:12: Message edited by: Uber Trick ]

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
Hmmm, well after some intensive research I don't think that athletics is for me, although this is a good website if you think it could be for you (and according to the site it doesn't matter how old you are!) *

No, I'm pretty sure that synchronised swimming is the one for me, I've been reading all about the gelatine for the hair and the make-up to bring out the features. Plus you get to do this:

-

International Olympic Committe website

Anyone else fancy becoming an Olympic-standard athlete? Dang could do cycling, couldn't he?

--------------------
uberwench

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Men's 100m?

--------------------
sweet

squirrelandgman
"well thats fucking funny"
 - posted      Profile for squirrelandgman           Edit/Delete Post 
Darts.
New Way Of Decay

-

Has this women crammed a different kind of boy in her mimsy? How the hell would she float otherwise?

[ 08.07.2005, 10:35: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm guessing you mean buoy.
but boy works too.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by doc d:
but boy works too.

That was my clever play on words damo [Frown]

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Pistol shooting's probably a piece of piss, isn't it? Do that Uber. Wear a stetson and smoke a cheroot. You don't even need to be any good at it. Eddie Edwards with a gun. And tits.

[ 08.07.2005, 10:46: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
but boy works too.

That was my clever play on words damo [Frown]
i was being "a **** "
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Pistol shooting's probably a piece of piss, isn't it. Do that Uber. Wear a stetson and smoke a cheroot. You don't even need to be any good at it. Eddie Edward with a gun. And tits.

Interestingly, when i went back to a school reunion at that private school, it transpired that one of my old friends had been on the olympic shooting team (I say friend - I'd been out of touch with him for about 7 years, by that point, and this was ten years ago). And - now listen carefully Jonesy, because this bit concerns you - all the kids I remembered as being some of the biggest wankers in the school were taking the piss out of it. Not to his face, mind, cuz he wasn't there. But they were slumping around mocking how 'easy' it would be to get into an Olympic shooting level. They'd all been big sports nits, back in the day and none of them had achieved anything in their respective fields.

[ 08.07.2005, 10:51: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

New Way Of Decay

quote:
i was being "a **** "

Ah! An olympic sport in it's own right.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+