Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » 2005. What the shitting crikey is going on? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 2005. What the shitting crikey is going on?
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
1999 - massive experimentation with drugs and sex
2000 - Sun tan, engagement, weight gain
2001 - Exam stress, homicidal urges towards nudist flatmate
2002 - sun tan, broken engagement, frisbee, massive weed habit
2003 - new relationship, London, media
2004 - cohabitation, London, media

2005 - absolute insane anomaly of a year in which nothing and nobody can be predicted.

So far in 2005, I have bought a house, sacked in one job to start another, and am currently on the verge of sacking in the job I sacked the first one in for to start yet another (which I will probably sack in again in six months time....you get the picture). My brother, who has been partying like a teenager for the last ten years, announced that his girlfriend is up the duff. Scrawnephew is 3 months off. My little sister is getting married. My parents have put the house I grew up in on the market. My best friends got engaged. One of my other best friends is moving to Dubai. Bandy's family have had a rough six months for various reasons.

And then: Live8! Olympics! London Bombings!

WTF? I'm not a believer in astrology, but if I was, I would expect all the charts for this year to look like this:

-

So what's been happening forum? Is this a year of massive change for you and yours too? Or are things just plodding on as normal? I know Ben, Darryn, Froopy, Rooster and Thorn have big stuff going on this year (baby, baby, baby, baby, new job). What about the rest of you?

Is it fate? are we all due some huge upheaval in 2005?

[ 27.07.2005, 05:25: Message edited by: scrawny ]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
I have found 2005 to be a year of relative peace following a period of upheaval and angst. I think I’m getting bored though, no longer being a student and changing my life and home at regular and predetermined intervals is bizarre.
Well, I mean I did move house this year, but the idea that I don’t need to move again in a years time is odd. I can still fit all my worldly goods into a good size estate car - for easy getaway. I could potentially be working in the same place for some time, although my current contract is only for another year, which should give me enough of a frisson of danger to keep things interesting.
I’m also pretty annoyed that now I am a grown up, with a relatively good grown up job I’m still fucking skint and whoreing myself to medical science. AND I have wanted a haircut for three months and cant justify paying for it. Fucksake. That wasn’t the question though was it? Ahem.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
2005 isn't really happening. It's better than last year, but I don't know, things need to happen more. On and off the meds hasn't helped - Im still getting these weird things where it feeels like the whole world is tilting.

Still, got a girl again, and I'm thinking about making a job move - somthing nasty, something with mad long days and bad hours in a data dungeon. Got some kind of a creative project on the go - hopefully should be ready in a month. Happily dabbling with Acid Pro with mixed results. It certainly seems a bit more fragmented than previous years, but that's probably just the psychology of uncertaintly, as it pisses it down in July, a cockey sparrah is voted out, whitely dies and Tavistock explodes. I wouldn't have predicted any of dat shit.

Still just a young g tryin hustle fo his next dollar.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
wrong thread gnrrk.

[ 27.07.2005, 06:10: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

squirrelandgman
"well thats fucking funny"
 - posted      Profile for squirrelandgman           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have 7 and a half days left of work.
2005 has been pretty fucked up for me. Started in Tokyo and all the craziness span off of that.
I have made mistakes this year.
I have begun to make up for them.
I have travelled about fuck loads already.
I am about to do more.

The office is not for me. I earn enough to get by but I am always struggling at the end of the month so fuck it. I give up.
I leave the country beginning of September. Stay out as long as I can. Which is not likely to be long if the current run of gambling continues. Then I get back and prepare for hitting 30 in 2006 with no job, nowhere to live and no real idea of what I want to do.

TMO can suggest a new life for me if they want.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
Yeah - we should all write a life-proposal for you, then a comitee selects the winner and you have to do it. Ok?
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
2005... 2005... hmmm, interesting year. I got myself a boy in the springtime, I got myself an-almost mortgage with my sister (committee meeting on the co-op flat we want to buy was yesterday, nail-biting results awaiting occurs ----> NOW!). I got myself a divorce (Decree Absolute should be popping through the door any day now) and I got myself completely and utterly bored at work. Well, the admin role that I go to everyday and get paid a little bit of money for stringing out the ridiculously small amount of work that I have to do. The stress of the support work remains the same but with the impending flat purchase the end is in sight.

This time last year my five to ten year plan* involved a social work degree and then some kind of farm plan resulting in a sort of community farm project idea. Now further research into the different farming opportunities has made the Agriculture degree the priority with the social work be postponed indefinitely with a bid to get out of the city and into the country asap. So now as mentioned on the other thread I'm looking into doing some voluntary work and NVQ's on my local city farm in Islington and am looking at different Agricultural colleges in the UK for entry in Sept 2006.

At the end of the day what have I got to lose? If for some reason it doesn't work out then I haven't lost anything, admin jobs and city flats are easy enough to come by should I need to again and I'm lucky that my bf and sister are fully supportive of me.

The way I see it is if you don't risk everything every once in a while you don't gain anything either. Just make sure it's a calculated risk with a contingency plan.

* This plan also includes babies, I'll just pop a couple out, prop them on my hips, or one of those papoose sling things and get back to my farming! [Wink]

--------------------
uberwench

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
I can't offer you anything in 2006 squirrelandgman, but in 2011 you are more than welcome to come and be a farm boy! [Smile]

--------------------
uberwench

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think whatever I write is going to look pathetically lazy now.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

squirrelandgman
"well thats fucking funny"
 - posted      Profile for squirrelandgman           Edit/Delete Post 
I have farm experience!
I was good at slapping the pigs but I may have broken a baby goats leg. I blamed it on the ram like.

New Way Of Decay

Not that I'm sulking or anything, but you know, it's just going to look bland in comparison.

--------------------

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
That's excellent, look me up on The Uber Farm in 6 years time S&gman!

NWoD - I'll see you after class :sternface:

--------------------
uberwench

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
In 2005, I expect to be in the same employ on 31 December as on 1 January. This is a new experience. I am also supposed to be getting a "pay rise".

Everything else is the same old same old:

Still living in rented accommodation and moving every year or so.

Still have reduced social life due to OU studies, although the end is now in sight (Oct next year).

Still a bitter, twisted spinster surrounded by smug couples saying things like "you'll meet someone when you least expect it!", with absolutely zero evidence of this situation ever changing.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Dr. Benway

I would have put out, VP. You didn't even have to ask [Frown]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

Poor VP! If only she'd known!

--------------------

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
2005 is shitting all over 2004, but it’s also shitting all over me. It’s like me and 2005 are having a fight. Heh, take THAT, it says, filling me full of mushrooms and flinging me out of a tree. Whooo, I go, limping into a job I fucking hated and handing in my notice, check DIS! Oh yeah, it replies, well… HI-YAAAH!!!!, smashing up my computer. I give it the middle finger and fall in reciprocated lust with a geek-boy in pink converse. It makes a woman nick my handbag. I get commissioned to write essays for ACTUAL BOOKS and all kinds of cool shit… Up and down we go. Back and forth. Tussling. It’s exciting but I’m getting out of breath.
Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Poor VP! If only she'd known!

I reckon she did know.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

I just silently coughlaughed a crisp into my brain because the nurse was looking at a PowerPoint presentation called "Filling a hole - Nursing care of flaps"

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, mock the emergency services when the country is in crisis!

--------------------
sweet

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 

What a fuckup. Last year was ace, I went travelling all over, met some great people, did some stupid things, had a laugh.

Then came back to the beauty that is Botswana and it all crumbled around me. Everything changed in the blink of an eye. I went from having too many friends to having none, having enough money to do as I pleased to having fuck all and now Ive got some potentially fucked up medical type things on the horizon too!

Oh, and my parents split up. My Dad did the most cliched thing he could think of and fell in love with his secretary (FFS!!!!) Which pushed my poor mother into the corner and she has had to move to Zimbabwe of all places.

The worst part of it all is there is no end in sight. NONE! I firmly believe the longer I stay in this miserable shit-hole the worse things will become.

squirrelandgman! Seeing as you are going to hit 30, why not do it like Che theGuava's friend in The Motorcycle Diaries? Buy a bike and ride off to a leper colony. Or any colony. Perhaps a hippy commune?

Vogon Poetess! Stop refering (eta referning!?!) to yourself as a spinster, even in jest. It is making a harrowing mental image of a 26-going-on-70 loner with many many cats. As you can see from this post I do not need mentally harrowning images right now.

[ 27.07.2005, 07:59: Message edited by: squeegy ]

--------------------
supa scrub

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
Hey Squeegy, I saw a thing on tv the other night about how the whole of Botswana is going to be bought by de Beers and dug up, displacing all the ethnik peoples who just want to hunt and gather and shiz. And the PM/President whatever came on and was all Yeah, what about it? Im gonna dig up a fuck load of diamonds. Piss of.
Is that you doing that?

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
...and everyone's gone again.

Squeegy that's a fucking nightmare. Lots of positive thoughts winging their way to you (as many as I can manage as I am slumped in my chair having eaten a sandwich that was far too big).

what years do people remember as having been particularly ace?

I loved the first six months of 2003. The excitement of a new relationship, frisbee in the sun, stoning incessantly, lockins, weak hungover giggles, fresh air, cycling everywhere, fried egg sanndwiches. Maaan. Those were a good few months.

--------------------

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scrawny:

what years do people remember as having been particularly ace?

First half of 2001. Cool flat, cool city, easy job once I'd got my head round the teaching thing, best social life inc best drinking games, all safe in the knowledge that once I returned to the UK I'd quickly get this really good job in publishing in London, and would be earning lots of money.

Also, I remember the year of being 11 as being great: loved my school and my teacher, started riding lessons, puberty was something hilarious briefly touched on in a Sex Ed lesson etc.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
2005 is treating me just swell. ive moved house and city, im spending time with my sister, im cooking myself nice food, i am off to buy a nice multicoloured rug. oh, 2005 was sucking root until i moved, make no mistake, but you know. a change is as good as a rest. im drinking less, eating better, and my hair is really nice. my advice to all of you: dont live in london any more. really. its an amazing place, and i will cheerlead for it from a distance til the cows come home. you should read the sentimental cobblers i wrote about london the night before i left. but. its a stinking fucking hellhole really, full of people wearing stupid hairdos and worrying rucksacks who fill you with hate and fear and encourage you to suck the marrow of joy and love and creativity and self-belief from your own bones with your own mouth. also, the pies are better here.

[ 27.07.2005, 09:11: Message edited by: discodamage ]

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
puberty was something hilarious briefly touched on in a Sex Ed lesson etc.

I believe in practical lessons being the way forward in education, but if someone touches your pubes in the name of education then you need to tell a grown-up Veep.

1998 was a pretty good year. I was in the design industry and got to play with toys. I rented a room from my friends who let me come and go as I pleased. I was DJ'ing for the local club. We even used records because they had only just installed the cd decks into the system. I worked for the same club so I had free entry to a nightclub and a ton of drinks bought for me. I remember on one occasion having to dash back across a crowded balcony of people and back into the DJ booth because 'Temple of Love' had started to skip and the people on the dance floor would always develop a mock repetitive dance alongside the record skipping. Nothing the weight of a two pence coin couldn't fix. It was so hot in my house that you'd invite your mates over and there'd be four or five of you sat in just your pants drinking Stella from a pinic cooler. During the quiet bit in Canonball you would wrestle your friends to the ground to yell the weeks catchphrase.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by discodamage:
its a stinking fucking hellhole really, full of people wearing stupid hairdos and worrying rucksacks who fill you with hate and fear and encourage you to suck the marrow of joy and love and creativity and self-belief from your own bones with your own mouth.

[Roll Eyes]

quote:

`So you were never in London before?' said Mr Wemmick to me.

`No,' said I.

`I was new here once,' said Mr Wemmick. `Rum to think of now!'

`You are well acquainted with it now?'

`Why, yes,' said Mr Wemmick. `I know the moves of it.'

`Is it a very wicked place?' I asked, more for the sake of saying something than for information.

`You may get cheated, robbed, and murdered, in London. But there are plenty of people anywhere, who'll do that for you.'

`If there is bad blood between you and them,' said I, to soften it off a little.

`Oh! I don't know about bad blood,' returned Mr Wemmick; `there's not much bad blood about. They'll do it, if there's any- thing to be got by it.'

`That makes it worse.'

`You think so?' returned Mr Wemmick. `Much about the same, l should say.'

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
I think 1997 may have been something of a peak for me as years go. Our second son had been born in December 1996, and only having two was unbelievably easy and he was one of those rare good babies and is still a good kid now. I was working on a 24hr rota shift which was the biggest laugh I've had in my life so far. Really excellent people, and more time spent in the pub and sleeping than anywhere near work. 24hr shift was good for money and for time off too, a guaranteed happy situation.

Then there was the web, which I started learning at Xmas 1996 and started my first website in 1997 and went "woah!" when people actually wrote to me about it. From, like, other parts of the world and that.

And the music was right up my street. I think about a fifth of my record collection must be from 1995-1999, that sort of period. I went on a bus to Barcelona to see Radiohead's launch party gig for OK Computer and met more excellent people on that trip. Again, the power of the internet was only just getting going with fan reviews of concerts appearing within, ooh, two days of a show. Now you get full 5:1 surround video of the show about three minutes after the band's left the stage, but this was exciting stuff then, just to see the setlist and hear people's accounts.

Good times, man. I was 32 in '97 but tend to see that period as my teenage years. Which was nice.

Dr. Benway

I enjoyed 2001. It was sunny, I was earning, london was exciting, nothing had been tainted.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post 
1999 - drugs, shaking off weight of one relationship, enjoying science
2000 - in throes of "summer love", drugs, still loving science
2001 - things getting wierd, science seeming like a grind, drugs
2002 - very fucking wierd, deteriorating relationship now positively toxic, science hellish, drugs, awfulness happened to friend.
2003 - massive drugs, massive drugs,bizarre inc "playing with knives", science gone, toxic relationship ended nuclear fallout from that, oh hang on new relationship, fun with drugs again, new job. in nashville.
2004 - science is fun again, new town, no drugs, more booze, insecurity, get my first gig as a dj (wtf?) with no experience at all, decide to go old school and listen to more funk and soul, develop increasing *******ness towards people i think little of when drunk, get married.

2005 - still liking science. however now having to try and secure funding from someone who thinks i have all the scientific rigour of a man who believes in intelligent design. wife arrives today/tomorrow. find out that ex-roommate wants to get into starting a porn site.

[ 27.07.2005, 09:51: Message edited by: doc d ]

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
Hey Squeegy, I saw a thing on tv the other night about how the whole of Botswana is going to be bought by de Beers and dug up, displacing all the ethnik peoples who just want to hunt and gather and shiz. And the PM/President whatever came on and was all Yeah, what about it? Im gonna dig up a fuck load of diamonds. Piss of.
Is that you doing that?

Ahem. Yep, thats about right. I'm not involved in that at all but at the same time Im not doing a thing about it. [Embarrassed]

Mind you there's only a few thousand of them. bob Mugabe across the border displaced half a million or whatever the other day and nobody did fuck all. Whats a couple of bushmen?

--------------------
supa scrub

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
2000 fucking dot com BOOM living in a live/workspace on Brick Lane getting flown to San Francisco working in Silicon Valley in a long-term relationship with a graphic designer working together on art projects like the magazine and the swap shop – yeah, those were the days. I heart 2000 for EVER. Why did everything have to fuck up? [Frown]
Dr. Benway

weapon.

-

*cry*

[ 27.07.2005, 10:21: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

scrawny
OK! I've totally depressed the whole forum. Even benway is crying.

*desperation* What's everyone doing tonight?

--------------------

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm 2005 - I don't really know how to judge it. I split and moved out from my ex, although we have a great friend relationship now. I've been employed the whole year in a job I hate a lot of the time, but of late has been getting better, and I can get away with murder here I suppose. I have my independence back which I did miss, and I also have my debts nicely under control thanks to my lovely bank. My association with my favourite band has grown extraordinarily, from running their website and taking a few shots of them to now daily conversations, CD sales and part of the management team organising a fair sized rock Festival. A succesful meeting with some possible partners this morning means also that the possibility of managing a merchandising company could become a reality. Actually I think 2005 has been fairly good.

On the bad side, I got fatter. Must lay off beer.

I'd give 2005 8 out of 10 personally.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Dr. Benway

I just found out that the man came round the fix my electricity, but had the wrong phone number, so it'll be another 24 hours! And they've started clearing out the warehouse next door to me which has prompted some kind of rodent ark to have been busted open, and there are mice everywhere! So, tonight I am sitting in a dark room surrounded by mice, with only a miniature mag lite for comfort. and each day I have off work is minus 50 pounds. And I was in the middle of 'doing a deal' worth about £50,000 that has probably now fucked up and has landed me in the shit, if I ever make it back to work.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+