Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Take me away from all this horror.

Author Topic: Take me away from all this horror.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Right. At present I take my "big holiday" in November, as the OU academic year is Feb-Oct. So I have 2 weeks to spare and a reasonable budget.

For ages I had been considering Cuba, but after reading a few travel guides in the library am not so sure. I don't know how easy it is to travel around on your own, ie not going on a package deal at a resort, which is what 90% of their tourism seems to be. I'm also not sure there'd be enough to keep me amused, as I'm not really into beaches and sunbathing.

Another idea is Canada. I'd love to go to Vancouver, and to see the Rockies again. Question marks here are: does Canada do the stupid fingerprinting/digital photo at the airport nonsense, is it easy to travel into the mountains without renting a car and will stuff be open in November (I don't mind the cold).

I've also been meaning to go to Russia for ages- Moscow, St Petersburg and then perhaps a trip into Ukraine.

Essentially, I don't want to go somewhere I could easily go on a weekend break (ie most places in Europe). For 2 weeks it seems sensible to go a bit further afield.

Can anyone find me a holiday?

You can also talk about your exciting holidays! Perhaps with some stories about those funny forrens and the things they get up to.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
You could go to Beijing for 4 days then take the Trans-sib and spend another 4 days in Moscow.

Flights for this were advertised quite often in TNT, or else ask Trailfinders. Shouldn't be too expensive, I'm guessing maybe 350 quid. The Trans-sib is like $180 if booked locally.

see this and this

You need to get sponsored for a Russian visa, but that can easily be done through various agencies in Moscow.

It'll be cold though, but I think the snow will be pretty.

I'd love to go to Cuba, before Castro dies. Argentina looks great, maybe you should look into that? It's fairly cheap I think an dthey ahve great wine and steaks. You can ride horse there too.

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Vogon doesn't like mince and casserole; I don't think that chunks of dead cow is a strong selling point.

A friend of mine did the trans-Siberian last year, said it was really interesting.

I don't know much about Vancouver although I have relatives there and managed to stay there for 4 days about 8 years ago on the way to Whistler. Vancouver's a lovely city from what I can remember.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

vikram

One thing I've always wnated to do, and hopefuklly will do next summer, is swim with humpback whales in Vavau, Tonga. The season ends in October I think. Not sure hw expensive it is. Not a lot if you go through a local operator. They pretty much take yo out in a boat and dump you in the water for a bit.

Flights are 550 pounds up. see here. Last year I spent five weeks in nearby Samoa, which I think is my fave place evah. I imagine Tonga is similar - friendly, beautiful, inexpensive. Do yu eat fish, VP? The sashimi was great there. Oh, and Air New Zealand fly there via LA and Samoa, so you could have a stop over if you wanted.

vikram

Another place I've always wanted to visit is Namibia. They've got dune surfing, cheetah spotting and lots of beach. Very safe and quite cheap. Flights are 450 up.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
Another place I've always wanted to visit is Namibia. They've got dune surfing, cheetah spotting and lots of beach. Very safe and quite cheap. Flights are 450 up.

Lots of cold, miserable desert beach. With washed-up dead whales scattered around. But yes, top destination nevertheless.

Another destination to keep in mind (maybe not whats VP has in mind though) is Mozambique. Cheap as all hell and not very dangerous anymore. It also has great beaches, awesome seafood and landmines.

--------------------
supa scrub

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by squeegy:
Lots of cold, miserable desert beach. With washed-up dead whales scattered around. But yes, top destination nevertheless.

But they have German package tourists there!

Okay, last one. Kerala. It's where I flew into from London last October. It will be monsoon time, but mostly it's dry and heavy rains are one of my fave things anyway. Kerala is the best India state in terms of women's rights, literacy, sanitation, etc. The food is excellent. Acommodation is very cheap. Cochin is a " pretty old colonial enclave, famed for its spice trade, all winding lanes and Mediterranean houses, full of charming Catholic churches, a few mosques, temples and an old synagogue. And goats, lots of them. Goats are so cool. It's like I've stepped out of India into a romantic blend of Portugese, Dutch, British, Arabic, Chinese and Jewish influences. It is lovely. I spend my days wandering around the streets, parks and harbour, visiting the numerous galleries and antique shops, but mostly hang out at a Boho cafe that serves excellent coffee and rubbish art. All very genteel." There's plenty of beach too, and it's clean in this part of India. And there's a few national parks about and you can do a backwaters trip. You should be able to get flights to Cochin or Trivandrum for under 400 pounds. I flew one-way on Emirates for 250 inc taxes.

Vogon Poetess

Fangs for your suggestions.

I don't eat meat or fish and thus tend to live off crisps and biscuits and apples when on holiday, unless there is proper local vegetarian food (rare).

I have a vague plan of spending 6 months in S America, Japan and Korea and then getting the Trans-Sib across to Moscow after I graduate. Not quite sure how this will be paid for and how it will fit in with the amazing job I will obviously be getting at some point.

I'd go to the Pacific Islands if it was free (likewise Thailand et al), but otherwise they don't really appeal to me, as if you're not really into sunning yourself on beaches I'm not sure what else they have to offer.

Squeegy's miserable, deserted, skeleton-strewn beaches sound ace- although I imagine Namibia's hot and stuff what with being in Africa?

My ideal holiday would involve:

Cool to cold weather
Empty, windy, bracing beaches (washed up skeletons a bonus)
Mountains (pref volcanoes)
Geological stuff (glaciers/hot springs etc)
Horse riding
Castles
Cities with plenty of the following: gothic architecture/weaponry museums/massive aquariums/multiplex cinemas/tat markets

I don't think there's a single country that meets all these requirements, although Poland and NZ came pretty close.

I really think Canada's my best bet.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
cheetah spotting

Really? I'd assumed they already had spots when they were born.
discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
indians are good at vegetarian food, arent they?

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
you could try Iceland, I suppose, although it's quite pricy.

--------------------

vikram

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I'd go to the Pacific Islands if it was free (likewise Thailand et al), but otherwise they don't really appeal to me, as if you're not really into sunning yourself on beaches I'm not sure what else they have to offer.

]

Snorkelling and diving. Rainforests. Waterfalls and lakes. I know what you mean though. I get bored eaily. In Thailand I tend to hang out in Bangkok all the time, very rarely venturing to the boring beach, with its lack of jazz bars, cinemas and 7-11s to keep me occupied.

quote:
I imagine Namibia's hot and stuff what with being in Africa?
Squeegy will be able to tell you for sure, but it'll be Spring there in October and I imagine not so hot.

quote:

Cool to cold weather
Horse riding
Castles
Cities with plenty of the following: gothic architecture/weaponry museums/massive aquariums/multiplex cinemas/tat markets

Iceland?
Hawaii, if it's rainy season. And I'm sure there are plenty of LA-style faux-castles there.
Morocco might be an idea too.

vikram

Iceland flights.

You an get a room for about 40 pounds a night. Which isn't super cheap obviously. And you can camp and stuff, if you like that kind of thing. Maybe you'll get lucky with a great package deal?

Iceland.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Namibia Q&A

Cool to cold weather: Dunno, but its on the Atlantic and can get quite bracing. But its a desert so it can also get quite hot.

Empty, windy, bracing beaches (washed up skeletons a bonus): Check!

Mountains (pref volcanoes): How about big sand dunes?

Geological stuff (glaciers/hot springs etc): Sand is geological...

Horse riding: There are wild horses in Namibia which apparently is quite rare these days.

Castles: Sand castles?

Cities with plenty of the following: gothic architecture/weaponry museums/massive aquariums/multiplex cinemas/tat markets: No

It seems Namibia is not what you are after.

Oh, I did here mention that due to men being off fishing or something, women outnumber men horribly in Iceland. So if you fancy holiday romance you might be out of luck there. I was told this by an icelander but it sounds like crap.

--------------------
supa scrub

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ukraine wasn't all that great, actually. I only went to the Crimea, but apart from some very satisfactory wandering round battle sites, grubbing in dust for cavalry charge souvenirs, it was a tad limited. And you're fucked without transport. Actually, you're fucked if you can drive. Known as Dead Body Holiday for the number of fatalities we saw laid out on the side of the roads after crashes. Yalta was quite good, though. I sat in a chair that was sat in by Stalin. I got a frisson.
Louche
Incidentally, Vogon, due to being vaguely addicted to finding more interesting holidays than Majorca I have up to date rough guides for Cuba, Namibia, Ukraine, Croatia, Lithuania and Canada. If you want any/all let me know. I've been trying to get rid of them via some immensely self satisfied bookswop site but no fucker wants them.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Ditto VP, I did have a Rough Guide to North West America - covered Washington State and BC, but lent it to a friend several years ago when he was planning a tour and camping trip. I can try and get it back if you're even remotely interested in that part of't'world e.g. Vancouver, though.

--------------------

vikram

One last thing, VP - are you sure the info you had on Cuba wasn't out of date? Things change quickly there. One minute Fidel is allowing private enterprise, the next dissident journalists are being put to death. It's all achanging in happy Cuba.

I'm pretty sure you can stay in private homes now rather than approved hotels, and you can go where you like.

My last suggestion of the day:

Israel. Flights are cheap. It won't be hot in October. Jerusalem is a wonderful town. You can go to the Dead Sea and Massada and Galilee etc. It's all very atmospheric and pretty and inexpensive and lovely. They have horses and donkeys. Good vegetarian food (kosher, innit). It's safe too, whatever the telly says.

[ 05.08.2005, 09:30: Message edited by: vikram ]

Vogon Poetess

Ooh, thanks for the offers, Louche and Hippychick. I think I will read the guidebooks for free in the library first, and then if I definitely pick a country I might take you up on that.

I just had another thought- maybe Croatia, Slovenia and Trannysylvania? In my own world atlas in my mind, these are all quite near each other.

Vikram, the Cuba guidebook I looked at was about 4 years old. I know it's not impossible to book private rooms and travel independently, but it seemed like it would be a bit of a hassle if you were on your own and didn't speak Spanish.

Also, it's not really possible to have woolly-liberal sentiments about Palestine and go on holiday to Israel, is i?

--------------------

vikram

quote:
Also, it's not really possible to have woolly-liberal sentiments about Palestine and go on holiday to Israel, is i?

I did!

Most of the sites are in the West Bank and the Palestinian bits of Jerusalem. You can stay in Palestinian owned hotels, eat in Palestinian owned restaurants, use Palestinian owned travel agencies for tours and shit.

Better than not going.

But then I've travelled lots of Tibet and was meant to go to Myanmar but didn't get around to it. I don't really believe in boycotting a nation for political reasons. The only countries I absolutely refuse to visit under any circumstances are the one's where they play panpipes. Fuck Maccha Pichu.

also: I'm guessing the English abilities of Cubans has gone up lots in the last 4 years.

[ 05.08.2005, 09:49: Message edited by: vikram ]

Louche
Croatia
  • Cool to cold weather In November? Yup. Also: fucking good thunderstorms. Wagnerian thunderstorms.
  • Empty, windy, bracing beaches (washed up skeletons a bonus) Check. Though some of the coast is concretised. Some nice fjords though. Occasional ordnance washed up.
  • Mountains (pref volcanoes) No volcanoes, damn impressive mountains.
  • Geological stuff (glaciers/hot springs etc) Check. Plitvice rather stands out. Fabulous place. Small chance of being eaten by something. Oh, and there's minefields on the way.
  • Horse riding Check
  • Castles Check Castles
  • Cities with plenty of the following: gothic architecture/weaponry museums/massive aquariums/multiplex cinemas/tat markets Check. Dubrovnik and Zagreb.

In all seriousness, Croatia is brilliant. It's possibly my favourite bit of Eastern Europe, apart from perhaps Bosnia. Excellent food (no struggle for veggie stuff, either), piece of piss to get about by bus and boat, majority English speaking people, dead friendly, cheap booze, minor amount of depleted uranium in food, quiet and cool in November. I loved Croatia, I'd go back in fucking seconds.

[ 05.08.2005, 10:41: Message edited by: Louche ]

Stefanos
Biggus Dickus
 - posted      Profile for Stefanos           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cool to cold weather
Horse riding
Castles

Mexico City. Apart from the beach thing, it matches the above...

• Not too hot if you get the right time - of course, stay in the mountains and it's guaranteed.
  • Mountains on all sides with the city built on the site of the lake the Spanish drained leading to geological stuff (i.e. liquifaction of sediments in the event of earthquakes.
  • Horse riding - head towards Toluca into the mountains (i.e any direction) or Valle de Bravo and ride Western, Mexican or English-style.
  • Museums containing lots of groovy Aztec artefacts, museums to the revolution, art galleries
  • Massive market around the Zocalo - amazing place.
  • Palaces, Aztec pyramids and cathedrals within a couple of hour within the city centre...
  • Great vegetarian food (praise from a meat-eater). Try the blue corn tortillas with cactus-leave salad, cheese, guacamole, etc.

Seriously, I'd recommend it. It's cheap to stay there and the centre is very safe (although apparently the place is the 2nd best place to be kidnapped in the world, but don't let that put you off).

[ 05.08.2005, 14:38: Message edited by: Stefanos ]

--------------------
Essex boy in exile.

Meg
Hubba, hubba, hubba
 - posted      Profile for Meg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
Croatia
  • Cool to cold weather In November? Yup. Also: fucking good thunderstorms. Wagnerian thunderstorms.
  • Empty, windy, bracing beaches (washed up skeletons a bonus) Check. Though some of the coast is concretised. Some nice fjords though. Occasional ordnance washed up.
  • Mountains (pref volcanoes) No volcanoes, damn impressive mountains.
  • Geological stuff (glaciers/hot springs etc) Check. Plitvice rather stands out. Fabulous place. Small chance of being eaten by something. Oh, and there's minefields on the way.
  • Horse riding Check
  • Castles Check Castles
  • Cities with plenty of the following: gothic architecture/weaponry museums/massive aquariums/multiplex cinemas/tat markets Check. Dubrovnik and Zagreb.

In all seriousness, Croatia is brilliant. It's possibly my favourite bit of Eastern Europe, apart from perhaps Bosnia. Excellent food (no struggle for veggie stuff, either), piece of piss to get about by bus and boat, majority English speaking people, dead friendly, cheap booze, minor amount of depleted uranium in food, quiet and cool in November. I loved Croatia, I'd go back in fucking seconds.

That's hugely reassuring - I'm going there a week on Tuesday. That said, I'm staying on a boat, spending most of my time hopping up and down the Dalmation Coast, so won't be doing any castles / architectural appreciation.

VP - go to Croatia!

--------------------
Hail to the king, baby

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
Kent is nice this time of year. Sunny.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Having lost my job, I've taken two weeks 'psychological rest' off the coast of Finsbury Park, and it's been a ripper holiday. Finished San Andreas, had loads of wanks, worn the same trousers for five days, and I've grown a beard. Now that's a holiday.

eta: I'll upload some moving pictures of ethnic children, knackered old barns and the sky soon.

[ 06.08.2005, 15:12: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
Having lost my job

Dude! Really? [Frown]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Dr. Benway

lol, yeah. they gave me 1 hours notice too. I'm using this time to make a spaceship using things I find in the street. Who's 'made redundant' with no payoff or notice now, huh John Lewis? Huh? Me? Or all of you when They come, and I'm the only one with a way off this rock. Yeah, you'll be begging a ride, but I'll be prying your never knowingly undersold fingers off of my ship.

[ 10.08.2005, 12:48: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post 
That's shit Benway, poor you. [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Meg:
That's hugely reassuring - I'm going there a week on Tuesday. That said, I'm staying on a boat, spending most of my time hopping up and down the Dalmation Coast

I went to Croatia when it was still called Yugoslavia, and stayed on a gorgeous little island called Kolocep, so if you get a chance, go there.

I'd love to go back one day, maybe I'll try and talk Pink into going next year.

[ 10.08.2005, 14:59: Message edited by: missgolightly ]

Dr. Benway

nah, it's okay. I get to see the Earth from space.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+