Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Best source for IT jobs these days? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best source for IT jobs these days?
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
It really is time I found a better job, so I was wondering what people reckon is the best source for IT job ads at the moment. I used to use http://www.jobserve.co.uk but I've got doubts about the authenticity of some of their listings, like they're just fishing for CVs a lot of the time.

I'm not particularly tied to geographical area at the moment as 'er indoors reckons she could easily do without me cluttering the place up, as long as there was loads of extra cash for her to spend in return for her trouble.

Any suggestions then?

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
South Korea, or Bandy.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dang65
it's all the rage
South Korea sounds nice. Tell me more.
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked in South Korea, I could quite fancy that - is there a website available Benwei San ?
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
This page can be quite good, has some good adverts. In fact I just checked and there are two jobs going in th Thames Valley area, both of which I'm qualified for, and both of which offer roughly twice the money I'm currently on..hmm, where did I put my CV..
Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla Online Persona:
I've never worked in South Korea, I could quite fancy that - is there a website available Benwei San ?

yeah, but it's in Korenese.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
This page can be quite good

Nice one. Think I might be registered there already, from ages ago. Better check my cv's up-to-date and activated.

Just spent about three hours registering and profile nadging on http://www.monster.co.uk, but again I'm not convinced their job adverts are genuine. They often seem just too sweet to be true, but I suppose all those happy and contented people you see around the place must come from somewhere. I'd just assumed they were aliens infiltrating human society or something, but maybe they're just people with nice jobs.

Dr. Benway

oh, no here you go

-

as you can see, IT jobs are going off like a fart in a library.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what kind of computer work you do, Dang, but times are a-changing in the world of Higher Education. Universities are having to do loads of stuff via computers nowadays- the latest being compulsory online submission of research proposals to funding bodies. I think this is generating quite a lot of IT-flavoured business.
I did hear that Oxford is well behind in terms of the systems and databases it uses- so you could give them a call and offer to sort them out.

Here are some computery jobs from the dominant Higher Education recruitment site, although I don't know whether they'd pay enough to keep you in 4by4s.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend with a PhD in Experimental Genetics and several publications including one in Nature is working in desktop support now, for which she has zero qualifications or experience. Because it pays more.

That is no help at all, but it popped into my head and I have typed it now so it may as well stay.

Dr. Benway

I'm a rebel who plays by my own rules and only lives to stick it to the man, and I'm working for the civil service because it pays more. Go figure.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Here are some computery jobs from the dominant Higher Education recruitment site, although I don't know whether they'd pay enough to keep you in 4by4s.

This is one of the shocking things about IT, that pay varies enormously, even across identical roles, even within the same organisation. And it does look as if the academic world is one of the less generous sectors when it comes to pay, yes.

I really wish I didn't "need" as much income as I do, but I'm feeding six people, three of whom aren't remotely keen on downsizing, living on a narrowboat or cycling more than half a mile. I have tried.

Also, we had our extortionately expensive house revalued recently. You know, the one that's our big financial investment to cover us moving back to London one day; the one that we're paying pretty much every penny into and raiding our savings every month to support.

It's been valued at about the same price we bought it for two years ago.

D'oh!

So, a pay rise is required, and that always means moving jobs.

dang65
it's all the rage
Anyone know how much the BBC pays? They've got the perfect job for me at the moment, but it just says pay grade 3 and I can't find the actual £££ amount anywhere. I suspect it will be terrible, which is incredibly depressing as I'd really love to work for an organisation I actually respect for once in my life.
dang65
it's all the rage
I can't bring myself to apply for it. Last day for applications today. Sometimes being young, free and single just seems like it would be so idyllic. Old, free and single would do. Or they could just live in poverty for a bit while dad does a job he'd enjoy doing. Fuck it.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
You could always send yer missus out to work. Nobody can seriously want to spend all day with four kids, and then all evening with four kids and a husband surely?

Also: I can't imagine job security is that good at the BBC at present, what with the licence fee coming under review and lots of recent job culls.

Also: why take the risk of working for an institution you've always admired? They will inevitably treat you like a worthless chattel who should be pathetically grateful to even have a job, just like every other employer, and then who could you dream about working for?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Nobody can seriously want to spend all day with four kids, and then all evening with four kids and a husband surely?

Don't tell me you can hear her moaning from all the way down London?
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
South Korea sounds nice. Tell me more.

My friend is in Korea right now teaching 5-10 year old kids how to spekk the engrish.

Full room and board, plus he makes $22k a year... Which in real money is like £11k, but $22k pretty much tax free is pretty good... He's gonna do it for 2 years and 'live' off the school whilst there, then go back State-side with $44k in his pocket...

If I didn't have kids or a woman, I'd be there with him now.

As to IT jobs, can't help ya mate... But, freelancing still looks like the best option... I can apply for a helpdesk role for £15k a year, or I can do what I have been doing and charge companies in W1 £150 plus parts(x30% for my time and bother to get the parts, don'tcha know) to install PSU's...

£6ish an hour working for the man, or £100 an hour suckering ignorant big business? It's a tough one.

[ 27.09.2005, 11:34: Message edited by: sabian ]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
The Koreans are a very cruel people, though.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
The English are a very cruel people, though.

I concur.
Black Mask

Ooh, I like what you're doing there, ralph. Very subtle, very ingenious. What do you call something like that? Is there even a category for that sort of linguistic gymnastics? You groundbreaker, you.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
What do you call something like that?

Boredom. Complete boredom. I get paid to post here, I really do. I'm sorry. I really am. I was sorry even before I hit reply, but I just can't stop myself. Ban me. For my own good.
Black Mask

Why don't you redeem yourself by listing a few examples of English cruelty? And, ralph, if you say 'Why don't you list a few examples of Korean cruelty, Black Mask.' I will not be surprised.

Go on. Stretch yourself.

Be bold.

--------------------
sweet

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Boredom. Complete boredom. I wish I was Roy, I really do. I'm sorry. I really am. I was sorry even before I hit reply, but I just can't stop myself. Ban me. For my own good.

ralph

quote:
Why don't you redeem yourself by listing a few examples of English cruelty?

1296: King Edward began his invasion at Berwick. The town was besieged and after a short struggle, the town was sacked and the inhabitants put to the sword, literally. A group of Flemish merchants were burnt to death in their guild hall at the express orders of Edward. The numbers of dead caused severe problems and they were ordered to be thrown into the sea, or into deep pits.

19??: Benny Hill

I'm sure there's more.

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
And them concentration camps in the Boer War.
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
And them concentration camps in the Boer War.

And India. Don't get me started on India.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
The Irish. Starved 'em, they did.
ralph

Exactly. We could go on and on.

[ 27.09.2005, 12:16: Message edited by: ralph ]

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Cruel, cruel bastards.
Black Mask

Well, Roy could. You've managed some burnt Belgians. That's shit, ralph. Try harder.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
You've managed some burnt Belgians. That's shit, ralph. Try harder.

Burnt Belgians are shit? How do you suppose the Belgians would feel about that? And what about the Scots I mentioned? Are Scots shit as well?

I'll be back with further tales of English atrocities. Oh I'll be back.

ralph

How about 2000 Irish put to the sword in 1649? Anther 3500 in 1657? Do Irish rate higher than Belgians?
Black Mask

Micks? Are you kidding? Micks are like foxes.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
Micks? Are you kidding? Micks are like foxes.

Zulus? Can I get anywhere with Zulus?
Black Mask

The Zulus started it. They just got what was coming to them. Not so fucking big now, are they?

--------------------
sweet

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+