Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Best source for IT jobs these days? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best source for IT jobs these days?
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
The Zulus started it. They just got what was coming to them. Not so fucking big now, are they?

Is there any nationality I can mention that would be worthy? I'm sure the English did something nasty to just about everyone at one time or another.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
The Civil War?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
The Civil War?

That was just us committing atrocities against us. Surely that doesn't count.
Black Mask

Us, who?

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
Us, who?

Americans. The Civil War. North versus South. The Blue versus the Gray. Perhaps you've heard of it?
ralph

My bad. I didn't realize there was a British Civil War. Of course it was 400 years ago, so who would remember that?
Black Mask

-
-v-
 -

--------------------
sweet

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
Too late.

[ 27.09.2005, 13:01: Message edited by: Roy ]

ralph

So we've established the fact that the English are indeed a cruel people. Now what? I'm still bored, and I have nearly 3 hours of work left. [Frown]
Endemic
I love Pauly Shore
 - posted      Profile for Endemic           Edit/Delete Post 
This any use to you, Dang? I confess to having bollock all idea about what you do.

[ 27.09.2005, 13:52: Message edited by: Endemic ]

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Thorn actually came into my room last evening in a state of agitation, reporting that "can you believe that the Americans think that their civil war is THE Civil War."

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Endemic:
This any use to you, Dang? I confess to having bollock all idea about what you do.

That looks good, though I presume it's a contract position, in which case the rate is a bit low. If it was a permanent employee position then it would be very good. That's because a contractor has to pay his own NI employee and employer contributions, so you end up paying around 40% tax on the whole of the gross - earn 5 grand a month, take home 3 grand.

What I do, if anyone's interested, is I'm a standard Web Developer sort - HTML, Javascript, ASP, SQL Server, Photoshop... you know, the general package you need to get a corporate website up and working.

Thing is, I've always chased the money, due to large family support requirements and, as Sabian says, it's a no-brainer to work as a contractor and charge about 8 times what you get as a permie. Unfortunately, this does leave me almost completely unable to take a pay cut and do something I'd really enjoy and feel good about - like that BBC job yesterday. I've dug me own hole, so I'm not moaning like, just a bit frustrated from time to time.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Thorn actually came into my room last evening in a state of agitation, reporting that "can you believe that the Americans think that their civil war is THE Civil War."

I was genuinely surprised. Given that most countries have had a civil war in their history I was gobsmacked that ralph would assume that when someone mentioned the civil war in the context of English history, he immediately assumed they were suddenly talking about the American civil war. And then he got uppity that they may not have heard of it, lol.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's because the Americans don't have any history really in comparison to other countries. So they have to steal everyone elses. I imagine that's what the gulf war is about. Perhaps Bush was all 'Ar reckon we should let those dhirty blackes dah in that hurricane' so they'd have something worthwhile to put in the history books. I mean, the atomic bomb - The Americans are gutted that the Japanese got so much press out of it that they wish they'd dropped it on themselves. It's so unfair. They just can't win.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Thorn Davis

You know, what used to get me was when people referred to the First World War as The Great War. Like people would be coming home on the boats and the trains going, "Man, that was a great war!"
Thorn Davis

Of course, now I know that they meant 'great' as in large in scale, not as in excellent quality. These days I'm usually able to distinguish between the two meanings by context.
New Way Of Decay

Your not to be blamed for this mistake. I totally get these sort of things confused all the time. I thought that the final days of the crusades were abruptly brought to an end by one Dr I Jones and Sean Connery.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Sorry for not taking your career seriously dang, but it looks like you are doing ok for now.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

Dang will always be OK. Don't forget that at the age of 18 he turned up in Paris with nothing but a biscuit and worked his way up without any help from the government with a combination of honest graft and sensible investment/ spending to become the self made man he is today.
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Sorry for not taking your career seriously dang, but it looks like you are doing ok for now.

Yeah, sure. I just reckon I could do better. This is peak earning time for a lot of people - done the experience and qualification slog, but not yet in the pile of CVs marked "grandad". One has to grab that advantage, doesn't one?
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Dang will always be OK. Don't forget that at the age of 18 he turned up in Paris with nothing but a biscuit...

A biscuit? I dreamed of having a biscuit.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I thought for a minute there that the British were actually in the American Civil War, but that was the war of Independence wasn't it? How far apart were they I wonder? Google suggests that the Civil War was 1861-1865, whereas The War of Independence seems to have been a bit of a long running affaire from the early 1600's to the 1750's. Crikey!
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Yeah, sure. I just reckon I could do better. This is peak earning time for a lot of people - done the experience and qualification slog, but not yet in the pile of CVs marked "grandad". One has to grab that advantage, doesn't one?

Aye, fair play. Software programming shuns people as they get older I'm afraid to report. I use to live with my girlfriend and her family. Her father was a high earner and then suddenly as if upon turning fifty he was completely unemployable, once he'd hit the magical cut off point. As if, on upon singing happy birthday he would go blind and his fingers would gnarl and drop off. So all of a sudden he's got a massive house, an expensive car and a fortune in insurance to pay each month while no-one is even accepting him for an interview.

But I'll be honest I just wanted you to say 'but I have a wife and children to support' and I could have made a gaff about if you can't keep it in your pants then you deserve to be poor. But I'm still pleased with this outcome.

--------------------

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Where is ralph? Did black mask eat him?
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Ralph turns up between 20:30 and 21:00 TMOtime. I don't know what that is in GMT or in his US timezone.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I almost morphed into Steelgate there.
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Ralph turns up between 20:30 and 21:00 TMOtime. I don't know what that is in GMT or in his US timezone.

I generally appear at roughly 7:30am EST.

Again, I aplogize for my Civil War mistake. [Frown]

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
There's nothing civil about war, people.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
In fact, I don't need your civil war.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
It feeds the rich and buries the poor.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Something about a human grocery store and ain't that fresh
ralph

My apologies to Thorn specifically. I didn't mean to gobsmack you. [Smile]
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Don't keep apologising, ralph. It makes you look a bit of a cnut.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
ladies and gentlemen - it's Roy and Ralph!

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
*applause*

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+