Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » If you're going to sit in your basement pretending to be an elf (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: If you're going to sit in your basement pretending to be an elf
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
And half hour is about what I do, too. How many miles do you do?

[ 11.10.2005, 15:57: Message edited by: Roy ]

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
I got the orchestral "Commando" off that site I linked to before, but sadly the link is dead right now. How it works: I think the music's been totally re-arranged and performed again, electronically rather than by an actual orchestra, based on the original theme. It sounds like a grand, sweeping film soundtrack.

I only run half an hour one time a week; five other days a week I do maybe 15 minutes. I don't know how many miles it is either.

But this is off-topic! Maybe we should have a "RUNNING" thread, like they have on The Mock Turtle.

--------------------
member #28

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
You should start one.

Perhaps we should go 'on-topic' and talk some Dredd, some live D and D and conventions.

kovacs

How dare you, I never played live D&D, Roy.

I'm sure I started a thread way back about "music for running"; maybe I'll look for it.

--------------------
member #28

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
I did live D & D once, in some caves somewhere. It was too weird. Running about with a rubber sword having to 'imagine' that some bloke with a towel around him is an ferocious orc. I mean, what's the point of doing it live if you've got to use your imagination. You might as well stay at home and avoid the whole damp cave thing altogether.

However, Rabbie Partridge got beaten up by a girl, which was funny.

Actually, I went on a Forest of Doom holiday for a week! Fucking forgot that.

[ 11.10.2005, 16:56: Message edited by: Roy ]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Roy, they do it at Chislehurst caves, I was dragged there by the older and, er, 'cooler' kids on my estate years ago when they were really into it (a gang of them had rubber swords at home and entered tournements) my parents didn't want me to hang around with the kids that had replica guns and threw kids into lifts filled with fireworks or broke into the college next door and stole alcohol from the bar, so I went to the caves, and was a goblin or something, and was immune to everything but silver. It was rubbish.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
That was it! Did you get a costume to wear?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Nope, cheap bastards. I had more fun jumping across the train tracks to get my train home to be honest. Although it was quite cool when I was left in the total darkness of the caves without a tourch in place for where I was supposed to attack the group of adventurers. Aparently they filmed an episode of Dr Who in there.

--------------------

The Sheer
 - posted      Profile for The Sheer           Edit/Delete Post 
The did, and they had rock concerts down there and people lived down there during WW2, they built a cinema and a church and there was a baby born down there who was christened in the chapel. She was called Cavina.
My specific area of geekiness is now explained as liking to visit areas of cultural/historical interest.
I hadn't realised my other hobbies (running and cross stitch) were embarrassing but thanks for enlightening me.
I know its not a hobby but in the spirit of confessing all embarrasing secrets now, as a child I also liked braces and freckles although I never had either. I was a very jealous child.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Honeybaby, have you ever been to the Williamson Tunnels? There's a whole intricately engineered underground world that was just folly. I imagine it might be of interest if you like caves.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Roy, they do it at Chislehurst caves...

Benny the Ball, did you grow up in Chislehurst?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Nope, Wandsworth. My parents just let me wander about as I pleased, one of the benefits of seemingly being the sensible sibling when your sister is a trusting, bit dim and buckles to peer pressure.

--------------------

The Sheer
No, OJ, I hadn't heard of Williamson Tunnels but I quite fancy a visit. Shame its in Liverpool becuase that will make it obvious that I'm a geek and have made a special visit to see them rather than being able to pretend I was just passing and happened to spot . . .
OJ
Well if you're that worried about it, you could pretend to be a Japanese tourist just visiting the reconstituted Cavern Club and eight-days-a-week-opening Beatles museum and that you were just passing the tunnels....
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
...when your sister is a trusting, bit dim and buckles to peer pressure.

Heh. Yes, I know all about that one.

[Wink]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good job Monster Trick's too busy to read this!!

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

The Sheer
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
Well if you're that worried about it, you could pretend to be a Japanese tourist just visiting the reconstituted Cavern Club and eight-days-a-week-opening Beatles museum and that you were just passing the tunnels....

Whoops and my other hobby is inadvertently revealed.

PS I mentioned this thread (with credit where it is due) on another forum I post in and its turned into a discussion of how much everyone secretly likes musical. How odd.

[ 12.10.2005, 12:04: Message edited by: Honeybaby ]

kovacs

That C64 mp3 site is back up! [Big Grin] and the remix of the "Shadowfire" and "Enigma Force" tunes are really worth listening to. Especially if you have that visual effects download on Windows Media Player -- it's like surfing the trippy wave.

--------------------
member #28

kovacs

Bit worried that I turned off a "real" album, Bloc Party, to listen to my new folder Kovacs' Best Zarjaz Commodore Playlist DO NOT ERASE:

R-Type: Title Remix
Space Harrier: Live Arcade Mix
Thanatos: Chemical in Your Brain Mix
Shadowfire: Prototype XG Mix
Commando: Run Gun Shoot Remix

--------------------
member #28

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
You called it Zarjaz?
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
It has crazy comets!

And Max Headroom!

Arkanoid!

[ 12.10.2005, 17:34: Message edited by: Roy ]

OJ
quote:
Originally posted by Honeybaby:
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:

Whoops and my other hobby is inadvertently revealed.

PS I mentioned this thread (with credit where it is due) on another forum I post in and its turned into a discussion of how much everyone secretly likes musical. How odd.

Er, which board? Can we see, it's only polite....
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I fucking hate musicals, I mean reallyI have twice been tricked into seeing musicals, I can't remember what the first one was, but it was shit so I left in the interval, and the second was that film, what was it called goddamit? It was a film, but when you went to the cinema it was actually a film of a musical Ewan McGregor was in it? Girls in corsets? Trickery! [Mad]

[ 13.10.2005, 06:33: Message edited by: Abby ]

OJ
Moulin Rouge Abby? I quite like Ewan McGregor but not when he's being the romantic lead. He sort of leers. And sings out of tune....

I've nothing against musicals personally, unless they happen to be cheesy or winsome. I quite fancy being scared witless by a really loud opera at the moment. There's Don Carlos (saw the Schiller play version with Derek Jacobi and I think those burning crosses and Spanish inquisitors should be suitably dramatic) or maybe Salome. Bring me the head of John the Baptist and make it bloody!

The Sheer
quote:
Er, which board? Can we see, it's only polite....
Course. No PM function?
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Honeybaby:
Course. No PM function?

We have no secrets here.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
We have no secrets here.

See that's it ralph, that's how you get into the inner circle. You just make up the rules as you go along.

--------------------

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
See that's it ralph, that's how you get into the inner circle. You just make up the rules as you go along.

Yeah. Like you know how to get into the inner circle.
lol.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Yeah. Like you know how to get into the inner circle.
lol.

That was a test. There is no inner circle. FALE!!

--------------------

The Sheer
http://www.thefridayproject.co.uk/
Click on friday online, scroll down to The Friday Forums and click.

What I was going to mention by PM is that there has been some sort of cross-pollonising board thing going on and someone has recently registered as a regulars user name on another board complete with tagline, avatar and signature from the other forum. As a result strangers are being squinted at suspiciously and being asked if they are from round here (boy). Introduce yourself over there though. Its relatively welcoming (as much as a small enclosed online community ever is)

Doctor Agamemnon When

- posted      Profile for Doctor Agamemnon When           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
But then, you've got nutter like Vtini, Dr. When and Stefanos who actually do go out and play roles for real.

Hey! I'm an old tabletop gamer as well, you know! I can be as sad as the next man!

Actually, we have a regular "Gaming Night" every week. I used to do D&D et al when I was a kid, too. It was shit - GM's were bizarre at best, and downright confusing otherwise - with arbitrary assignments of XP and mismatched scenarios.

Coming back into gaming as a Growed Up is ace. A bunch of lads get together, get pissed / stoned and have a laugh over a game of "Call of Cthulhu", "MERPS" or "Necromunda". The scenarios and GM-ing are now backed with thirty to fourty years of life experience and too many fantasy novels. I enjoy it, and I don't mind admitting that.

I also get to go out and batter folk with swords "for real", too. And have a legit excuse for an 800 year wardrobe.

What I am ashamed of, and I feel I can be honest with you in here, is my current "hobby", World of Warcraft. Do you know how difficult it is do juggle a job, a social life, AND still get my Dwarf Hunter to lvl 56? No. Of course you don't. BUT I CAN GIVE IT UP AT ANY TIME. It's not a problem. I can handle it. Just because I rarely get to sleep before 2:30am doesn't mean there's a problem here. Oh, no.

[ 21.10.2005, 09:54: Message edited by: Doctor Agamemnon When ]

--------------------
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
The Wonderful World of Dr. When

Doctor Agamemnon When

quote:
Originally posted by Modge:
It was quite disappointing because I'd wanted to try fencing since I was a childe and not being allowed to leap around the room/swing from chandeliers whilst slicing at someone was a bit of a let down.

Jooooiiinnnn uuuuusssssss! Join the rennaisance of European Martial Arts! Modern Fencing is the tedious rule-stifled legacy of proper stuff from the likes of Talhoffer, Fiore di Liberi, Angelo, Silver etc. and they're ace.

There's loads of groups all over - drop me an email (website in profile) and let me know what area you are and I'll point you towards a local group.

PS: Most of us are ex-fencers who got bored, too!

[ 21.10.2005, 10:37: Message edited by: Doctor Agamemnon When ]

--------------------

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
is this like "Ultimate Fencing" or "Caged Fencing", where men from Essex grab big fucking swords and hack each other's faces off, all to the driving beat of the latest Happy Hardcore classic? If so, I'd wager that our resident hardnut "Roy" might be interested in either promoting or watching the door.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Not really, Benway. Had a bad experience at Cage Rage Four. Due to an administrative error, I ended up number three on the bill and had to fight 'Iron Man Doug King' in an 'all tools allowed' bout. When it gets cold, the scars itch.
Doctor Agamemnon When

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
is this like "Ultimate Fencing" or "Caged Fencing", where men from Essex grab big fucking swords and hack each other's faces off, all to the driving beat of the latest Happy Hardcore classic? If so, I'd wager that our resident hardnut "Roy" might be interested in either promoting or watching the door.

Ummm, no. Sorry.

It's more a Drum 'n' Bass Breakbeat thing.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+