Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Conjuring with names (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Conjuring with names
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Fionnula the Cooler inspired me to start this thread but not because of anything he said.

Everytime I see his screen name I'm reminded of the mythical daughter of Lir, condemned to die by her stepmother but "rescued" by being trapped in the form of a swan for 900 years. Along with her brothers. The allusion comes via an only half-remembered folksong that I don't expect many people to share (apart from maybe Fionnula?) and probably says more about the naffness of my musical education than it does about the writer with the moniker.

But still, the reference is there and I can't shake it. I have similar problems with flimsy, whimsical feminine Mimolette, who just does not sound like cheese - or a man - to me. So it got me to thinking...

Names: what possibly unintended things do they say to you? How attached are you to yours - in real life or online? Are you down with the trend for calling your children Hubris and Agrippina or will you be sticking with Jack and Emily? Or you could just tell us how you chose your screenname and why.

By the way, I was OJ before OJ Simpson's televised getaway and stuck to it doggedly despite the occasional suggestion that I may be fresh and wholesome like a glass of juice. Because nobody calls it that here really do they? And I'm either to stubborn or too strongly welded to my ego (cod-psychologists-r-us take note, I said it first) to switch to another name.

While we're at it, if you've ever had an urge to change your screen name to the force that through the green fuse drives the flower in the style of some boards we could not bother mentioning, you may as well confess it here too. But not that particular one you understand, I saw it first.

[ 20.10.2005, 08:11: Message edited by: OJ ]

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
Erm. Melissa reminds me of butterflies. Does that help? If I had children, chances are I would be trying to distance myself from them, rather than name them, but if I was somehow dragged into it then simple one syllable names would do just fine. Maybe with Welsh heritage? Any children unlucky enough to have me as a father aren't likely to move in the kind of circles where Hubris and Agrippina would be acceptable or pronouncable.

As for my screen name. I was reading a lot of William Burroughs when I registered on Seethru, back in 1992.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
[Whistle of wind - tumbleweed - dust cloud]

[/Whistle of wind - tumbleweed - dust cloud]

Mine is dull, it's just my first name and my surname initial, no thought, no great story, no nothing.

As far as children’s names go, as most posters on this forum are aware I do like the more unusual names, I've called my children Summer Rain (Girl 9) and Beckett Archer (Boy 14 months) but that doesn't mean I think that there's anything wrong with Jack or Emily it's just not my personal choice.

On other forums I frequent if I'm not Darryn.R I tend to use dibble, he's the bumbling policeman out of the Top Cat cartoons - For some reason I always liked him..

Even though I use Darryn as my username I have to say I don't like it as a name and wish I was called something else. I like the D part so maybe Devlin or Devon or something, even Darcy.

Darryn is so late 60's trying to be cooler than you are kind of name, there were like 5 in my year at school (various spellings Daren, Darren, Darrin, Darran) so it's not much of a personal identifier, if anyone shouts Darryn in public at least three or four people look around to see if the call is aimed at them.

How attached are you to your real name then OJ ?

(I hate to see a thread go unanswered)

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
My online name is the name my dad used to call me when I was little – scrawnyscroggins, to give me my full title.

Superficial to tha extreme:

I always find it unusual that certain names can have connotations of attractiveness, which becomes interesting when you have a job which involves dealing with most people via email. The Joshua that I am currently working with gets attention in my inbox a lot quicker than the Brian. I have never known anyone called Joshua or Brian before this, so it’s not based on previous experience of hotties or notties with those names. Other fit names for boys – Patrick, James, Charlie, Jack, Oliver, Joseph, Sam William. Fit names for girls: Delphine, Annie, Madeleine, Lucy, Imogen and Jessica. Please note I have deliberately left any posters out of this except me. I like my name.

I think a good rule of thumb for establishing which names are fit and which aren’t is to imagine if you could feasibly call a cat by that name without the cat becoming an immediate object of ridicule. ‘Pamela’ is a good example of how this works.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Dr. Benway

I don't understand how that works. Is Pamela a good or bad name for a cat?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
It's a bad name for a cat. So is Richard.

--------------------

Dr. Benway

okay, so Mr. Whiskers would be a good name for a human?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:

Only if they are a man
Dr. Benway

and any name with -y on the end is a winner.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

if I had a cat, It would call it Leonard.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Oooh. Could that be my new name?
scrawny
So it only works one way. I don't think this can be described as a flaw in my system.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate my real life name - it's kind of like a stupid comedy name that sitcom writers always give to their bland, uptight, unfunny characters. It's like it's considered to be the opening humiliation, before the plot sets about kicking them even further. Often, characters called Ian have no other reason to be gleefully turned into objects of ridicule other than the fact they're called Ian. Hi Fidelity, Men Behaving Badly and Red Dwarf all contain examples of this.

I quite like my online name - in fact, disturbingly I've been starting to think of it as my actual name. Whenever I picture getting a book published, or na script made into a film 'Thorn Davis' is the name I see on the poster, before I have to mentally readjust it to my stupid real life name.

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, we had two cats and we were told they were boy and girl so we named them accordingly.

A year later, we found out that the boy was in fact a girl. Poor Boris

Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by scrawny:
So it only works one way. I don't think this can be described as a flaw in my system.

No, you're right. My own name would be pretty ridiculous on a cat. Oh, here's Steven the cat! haha!

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

is Iain okay though?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

Iain is worse. Being the Scottish verison, it automatically carries connotations of dirt, ignorance and savagery.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a sub-category of the cat/human name rule? That is, names which are perfectly acceptable in our world, but are so commonplace as to be ridiculous on a cat, such as Paul, Andrew, Mark and, indeed, Steven.

Paul the cat.

Mark the dog.

Sarah the horse.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:

Mark the dog.

You'll need a permanent marker.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Our last cat was originally called Flynn. So named, by me, for his cool-arsed moustache. It suited him, he was a cool cat. Then I went away to university. My next visit was a couple of months later and the fuckers had renamed Flynn. Isn't that against the law or something?

Apparently, in between deciding that the fucking Fall-Guy-cool visor on my never-to-be-owned space helmet was lethal, my dad decreed that cats must have a two syllable name. It seems that standing with a saucer of milk, barking out a single syllable is officially wrong. It forces the cat caller to crowbar a second syllable from the name - "Fliiii - iiin!", that kind of thing.

So Flynn needed a longer name. And what did they decide on in my absence? Rocky? Iron Paw? Monkeeeeeey!? No, CC. They decided to call him CC. That would have been bad enough but CC actually stood for….drum roll....Cat Cousteau! He fell in the pond, you see, so Cat Fucking Cousteau!

That cat was my enemy from then on. Actually, if the truth be known, our mutual hatred wasn't really cemented until CC started pawing me, sucking the pad on his paw and acting rather strangely. When I pushed him off, I clocked the cerise lipstick aimed at me like a love gun. I spurned his advances and Cat Cousteau never forgave me.

We were sworn enemies. He's dead now. [Wink]

I ask you, a gay cat called CC.

[ 20.10.2005, 10:11: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
Mark the dog.

Thats my name. Not Mark the dog of course but just Mark. I really detest having Mark as a name. Every cnut in the world with a 'sense of humour' will call you Marky Mark and wait for you to lift your head back and howl with laughter.

Mind you, squeegy isn't a whole lot better. Once I am a bit more financially stable I think I will pay Darryn to have it changed. It'd be a bit cheeky to ask now. I own a fair bit in TMO back-taxes. I've never been very good at coming up with names. When it comes time to change it I'll get Jonesay to come up with a few ideas for me. Cuz he's my bitch.

--------------------
supa scrub

Dr. Benway

Sarah the Horse is a fucking great name for a horse.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you could do a lot worse than 'Sarah the Horse', Squeegy

[ 20.10.2005, 10:20: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
I hated my real name as a child. Well, let me say I hated my nickname (I didn’t know what my real name was until I was older, and then I hated that too). I wanted to be Jennifer, and had fantasies of changing my name in high school (along with a complete image makeover: hair and eye color, new style, etc.).

Now I love both, but you won’t see me going by the full version on anything that’s not officially signed and sealed. I like that it is probably one of a kind, and I like that my nickname is at least pretty unusual (though I grimace at how quickly it is rising in the ranks of popularity).

When it came to naming my daughter, ordinary names equated in my mind with ordinary people, so there was no way she was going to be an “Emma” or a “Meghan” (two very popular names right now) and certainly not a “Jennifer”. Luckily my husband agreed and we limited our choices to below the top 250 US names of the previous years. I think it worked out.

As for my screen name, I’m not too keen on it (especially with the new cock tag), but froopy helped to choose it, and we both had our reasons (both probably readily apparent if you know either of us in real life).

Edit for the whole conjuring bit:
My real names only conjure other people who are named that (namely a no-talent actress, some Asian model and a Yu-Gi-Oh character).
My screen name conjures, well...you know.

As for others here, I always read the posts first and associated names with posts, not the other way around, so I had preconceived notions to interfere with my preconceiving.

[ 20.10.2005, 10:26: Message edited by: rooster ]

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Kovacs always mocks me for using his online name in real life more than I use his real name. Actually, I think I probably do this with Thorn and Benway too.

'Ben' tends to be used in tv drama as a shorthand for domesticity - either stable or under imminent threat. I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with this but there are way worse names.

Look at Alan - that practically screams Anal. No 'Alans' here, I hope.
[Frown]

scrawny
ALAN! I knew there was a better example. Alan the cat.

--------------------

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Scroggins theory is a good un, if only because my mother has given two cats names (Rory and Finbar) that I am ecstatic I managed to dodge.
I like my name.

Have to disagree on the Alan front though, reckon that goes round the other side to become a brilliant name for a cat. I think Dave also has this quality.

[ 20.10.2005, 10:42: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Anthony.

The only aspect of the name I dislike is the way that Americans and Scotchlanders always pronounce the silent h.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
Goldfish are pretty versatile in the name department aren't they? Pick any name, add 'the goldfish' and there you go. Nigel the goldfish. Simone the goldfish. Ezekial the goldfish.

This is mostly because goldfish are crap and nobody cares.

--------------------
supa scrub

Dr. Benway

I think one of the worst names you could have for a chick is "Gretchen".

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

It sounds too much like 'Wretched'.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
I think one of the worst names you could have for a chick is "Gretchen".

And Google's image search backs that up - What's the sexiest name ?

[ 20.10.2005, 10:47: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
What's the sexiest name ?

Melissa
Niffer
Een beetje vreemd, maar wel lekker!
 - posted      Profile for Niffer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
What's the sexiest name ?

Gods Plumber.

--------------------
Seek help, possibly medication.

Dr. Benway

boffins worked it out earlier this year. It was in the Metro, but I can't remember what it was. Might have been 'Ian'.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+