email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » A question of ethics

Author Topic: A question of ethics
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok how about this for a bit of a dilemma.

I am currently finalising a business plan about an idea I have - as this is a public forum I won't go into detail here as it might send it tits up - the regs I can trust, but this is a public place.

Now this idea I hope will combat a certain crime which there was a high-profile case of recently in which a young boy was brutally murdered. I thought as a sideline, it might be nice if a donation was made to a charity that he or his family is close to, or a college scholarship with every purchaser who signs up for the product I am selling - my idea is so that his memory can live on with something positive.

But also I think something like this could be construed as very sick, almost as using a dead childs memory to sell a product which is the last thing I would want to do, so am very anti the idea. I dare not even mention the tradgedy for fear of accusation of profiteering, which is really not the case - I just thought it would be good to use an existing idea in development to do something positive, but the more I think about it the more horrified I am at even considering it as it may be construed as using his death for personal gain - yes my business plan is to be profitable, but at the same time if I can contribute something to do some good, is that not a bad thing? Also by keeping the childs memory alive and telling the story, teaching awareness and so on to prevent this sort of thing, is that not a good thing?

Its an evil conundrum, and the more I think about it the less I am inclined to consider it - perhaps an anonymous donation on agreement with the family should the idea take off might be far more suitable?

So pray tell TMO, am I wrong to consider trying to do some good? Or am I going straight to hell for coming up with the idea.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a Damilola Taylor pen-knife?

--------------------
sweet

schism
Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes ?
 - posted      Profile for schism           Edit/Delete Post 
...mini ice-axe bottle opener key-rings?

[ 12.01.2006, 06:36: Message edited by: schism ]

--------------------
When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie Bulger oven-glove and car de-icer?

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
no, it's a Climbie stress reliever

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
It was funnier before you edited, schism.
Niffer
Een beetje vreemd, maar wel lekker!
 - posted      Profile for Niffer           Edit/Delete Post 
Waynster, the best way to find out is to try and contact the family. They're the only people who's opinion really matters here.

Sure, other people might accuse you of profiteering from tragedy but it's hard for them to try and run that argument if it's endorsed by the people on whose behalf they're getting all uppitty.

If you want to discuss ways that you could do this while protecting yourself then try niffer280 at the hot male dotcom.

--------------------
Seek help, possibly medication.

schism
Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes ?
 - posted      Profile for schism           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
It was funnier before you edited, schism.

thanks. I thought "Man United shirts in packs of two" was better myself but tried to stay on topic as it was a boy who was brutally murdered...

--------------------
When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+