Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Escape to the country. (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Escape to the country.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
The countryside in the UK sounds radically different from my countryside. Perhaps it's best not to take my advice.
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
Rooster and I are also country folk these days, though I'm playing both halves of the urban-rural mix (work in the city, live in the country).

I'm tired of the driving (have been doing about 100 miles a day for the past year), and I do miss the convenience of being able to stumble to the T and take a much less active role in my daily commute (read: sit down, drink coffee, don't look at anyone, get off at my stop, then trundle down the street to the office). We've got an active dairy farm down the street (from which I now get my milk and butter, etc) and quite a few retail options within a 10 minute drive. I think I would have preferred something even further in the woods, though that wasn't practical from the perspective of a reasonable commute time.

I quite like the idea of going into business running a rural hotel; do you have any experience in the hospitality business? 17 rooms seems a nice, manageable size for a country/boutique hotel, though you might want to check into vacancy rates at other hotels in the area to gauge the level of demand for rooms. It might give you a quick picture of what level of occupancy you can expect- and then do the math to project what sort of living you'd expect to take away.

[/business consultancy mode]

Teemo French Weekmeat. Just picture it...

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by froopyscot:
I'm tired of the driving (have been doing about 100 miles a day for the past year)

When I was working in Cambridge, it was an 80 mile drive one way to the T stop at Alewife. Then a 15 minute train ride. And a 5 minute walk. Boy, those were some long days. You're right...living further out in the sticks makes working in Boston almost impossible. Thank god I found something in Springfield. [Smile]
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Thank god I found something in Springfield. [Smile]

-

?!

ralph

-
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I can't remember whether it was roy or ralph who was the dogkiller, but you can base my hilarious caption around either the idea that this is ralph murdering another dog (perhaps this si the job he refers to above), or that he is aggressively defending the dog from Roy. It's up to you. Anyway - just imagine how funny the caption would be, if I'd been bothered to look up which way round the legend goes.

ralph

I'm the dog killer.

ETA: Roy was the one who made that up by the way. And the whole time he had kovacs' blood on his hands. I curse you, Roy.

[ 22.03.2006, 12:38: Message edited by: ralph ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
There was an episode No Going Back recently which featured a couple who had cunningly purchased a holiday cottage in France midway between the Pyrenees and the seaside. The plan was to catch both the Summer seaside holidaymakers and the Winter skiers.

The place was billed as being "just 2 hours from the ski resorts and a mere 90 minutes from Biarritz."

Last bit I saw was the classic No Going Back scenario of an incredibly depressed couple staring at huge pile of bills and a not-ringing telephone.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
The place was billed as being "just 2 hours from the ski resorts and a mere 90 minutes from Biarritz."

There's loads of like mini-gites in France with totally desperately phrased advertising like this. Only three hours from the ski slopes!!!. Fantastically rural and peaceful location! (miles from anything) When I sell my house I'm going to advertise it as only 4 hours from Britain's premier ski resorts! because with a good tail wind you can be up the M6 and in the Trossachs in that time.

The Bestest No Going Back is the Austrian hotel man. Milkman with MBE moves whole family from built up Kent to abandoned Austrian wilderness, lovingly restores hotel, creates successful business. I have never seen two more murderously miserable children in my life as the teenage girl plucked from Bluewater to be dumped amongst German speaking farmgirls and the football playing mini wide boy forced to realise that no MacDonalds accessible by car was actually a reality.

dang65
it's all the rage
No Going Back is still my most favourite of all reality TV, perhaps because it usually looks so unreal. And also because they have the gloomiest narrator in history. He should've been the voice of Marvin the paranoid android, except maybe he would have made him too depressing.

EXTERIOR: SUNNY VALLEY, HAPPY CHILDREN PLAYING, FRESH AIR

NARRATOR: ...but now Jasmine and Peregrine must face the worst winter in recorded history. And goat plague.

CUT TO ADVERTS FOR ANTI-DEPRESSANTS

By-the-way, I just realised that episode I referred to above was the first part of a series dedicated to that particular couple, Part 2 tonight at 8pm. I only saw a bit of last week's but they do look like a pair of complete losers so hopefully it'll get even worse tonight.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
There was an episode No Going Back recently which featured a couple who had cunningly purchased a holiday cottage in France midway between the Pyrenees and the seaside. The plan was to catch both the Summer seaside holidaymakers and the Winter skiers.

Last bit I saw was the classic No Going Back scenario of an incredibly depressed couple staring at huge pile of bills and a not-ringing telephone.

I saw that, part two is on tonight.
The main problem I think with them was that they were mortgaged to the hilt and had to cover not only running costs but also 'the lifestyle' (Didn't they have like a new 4x4, designer clothes and the like) and a massive mortgage each month.

Say for the sake of arguement that you didn't have to mortgage yourself to the hilt and all you'd really have to cover would be running costs, you'd have the ability to deduct food, a greater portion of the amenities and general upkeep of the place from your final tax profit, how much would you seriously need to make to live a comfortable life ?

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Louche
No Going Back is fantastic television, be be warned: all the ones I have watched have had happy endings. Even the horrendous one where heavily pregnant wife was living in a shed in Crete without running water or electricity and they didn't have enough money to send her to England for the birth and she didn't speak Greek and they left it hanging to the adverts with her, white and terrified in a maternity unit. It all came good.
dang65
it's all the rage
Wasn't there one genuinely horrible one though, where a couple went to live on an island off the Mosquito Coast and they got kidnapped by drug traffickers and the bloke actually died and the poor children were so unhappy but the woman wanted to carry on. Something like that. Maybe I should Google for it. Hang on a minute...
dang65
it's all the rage
Yeah, there's a bit here. It was truly horrible that one. Wonder what happened to the children. Couldn't give a toss what happened to the mad woman.
Louche
Fucking hell. All the ones I've seen have ended happily ever after. I'm really really fucking bored of Kevin's fucking fishery now, though.

Darryn, you need a business plan. Probably in excel or something. There's probably a TMOer could knock one up for you. Depends on whether you trust TMO to tell you the truth on this sort of thing.

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that... truly unreal reality tv. Woman was indeed completely self obsessed, massive tits as I remember. Kidnapping etc, amazing...

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+