Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Merry Crispness, what's for dinner ?

Author Topic: Merry Crispness, what's for dinner ?
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho, ho, ho TMO… Welcome to Christmas morning.

What’s for dinner ?

Another year of Christmas cooking rolls around and once again despite two days worth of defrosting in the fridge the turkey’s core is still a frozen slush, the veggies are unpeeled and the stuffing is unstuffed.

Perhaps next year we’ll just have a cheese toasty and say fuck it all, but not this year, no sir, this year we’re doing it again and another 4 or 5 hours of sweaty loveless labour follow before we stuff ourselves with dry turkey and roast spuds as hard as rock..

What are you having/did you have for Christmas dinner TMOer’s ?

Poster no sprouts:

Turkey
Stuffing’s (Pork and Sage and Pork and Leek)
Bacons and Chipolatas
Roast Spuds
Roast Parsnips
Mashed Swede
Savoy Cabbage
Peas and Carrots
Yorkshire Puddings
And Gravies..

Happy heart attacks !

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Capon
Roasters
Kale
Carrots
Leeks
Pork, Chestnut, Apricot and Sage stuffing
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Lemon Meringue Pie
Um...

I think there might be wine, too.

--------------------
sweet

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
Shoulder of pork glazed in cranberry & redcurrant sauce mixed with orange juice and ginger (experimental, not sure how this'll turn out)
Potatoes boulangere
Sausage & thyme stuffing balls
Honey glazed carrots
fine beans
Roasted shallots

Merry christmas TMO [Smile]

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Shoulder of pork glazed in cranberry & redcurrant sauce mixed with orange juice and ginger (experimental, not sure how this'll turn out)

Sounds terrific. Merry Christmas, Physic!

--------------------
sweet

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Potatoes boulangere
Sausage & thyme stuffing balls
Honey glazed carrots
fine beans
Roasted shallots

Merry christmas TMO [Smile]

This isn't just Christmas food, it's Physic Christmas food, pork sounds great mate, hope it was..

And wine sounds good too BM [Wink] I may have had a glass or two myself.. Now for a beer and some sleep..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
This isn't just Christmas food, it's Physic Christmas food, pork sounds great mate, hope it was..

Lol, yeah the pork was lovely, crackling you could use as tank armour.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Roast beef ( v rare, as underestimated weight of joint by factor of 9)
Roast spuds, in goose fat, natch
Parsnips, ditto
Gravioir
Disgusting yorkshire pud, due to miscalculation of depth/batter ratio
sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts. YUJM
champagne
Red wine
Gü puds
Something green in a bag

Inability tt type

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
We are having lasagna as our main course, courtesy of froopy. I’m responsible for the spinach artichoke dip and putting the store-bought apple pie in the oven! Happy feasting all!
Black Mask

Ha. Looks like we are having pork now, too. Thanks to the Wii and the collossal size of the bird. Mrs Mask has only just put the Lemon Meringue Pie in the oven.

--------------------
sweet

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
Rooster is currently relaxing on the sofa, while the littlest member of the clan upstairs sound asleep for her afternoon nap. Her second Christmas morning - or her first "real" one, as last year she wasn't old enough to do much more than observe and drool a bit - was fun for all. She spent the morning playing with her new baby-sized bongos and tambourine, her weeble castle play set and her brand new set of alphabet blocks. Though I probably got as much time with the bongos and blocks as she did.

Now that the lasagne is in the oven, I think a glass of wine is in order. Hope your festivities were all you wanted them to be.

Merry Christmas, all.

[ 25.12.2006, 16:07: Message edited by: froopyscot ]

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Kiki
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kiki           Edit/Delete Post 
We spent Christmas eve over at my parents, who use the opportunity every year to cook up an (at least) five-course meal.
This year my father and his neighbour (a guy who sells snakes for a living and is a magician in his spare time) made scallops, bisque, sole and salmon rolls, the biggest beef wellington I've ever seen and a pear and parmesan cheese dessert.
Unfortunately, it wasn't until well into the fourth course that they realised that every time they meant to add salt to a dish, they had actually added sugar. This worked out okay with the sprouts, but a couple of the other dishes tasted kind of strange.

Yesterday, I made turkey with an onion, garlic and bread stuffing, roast potatoes, bacon, pork sausages, peas and carrots, gravy and a sage and onion stuffing on the side.
I kept it kind of simple as it was the first time I've ever cooked a christmas dinner, but I was very pleased with the result. I though it was going to be very complicated and stressful and involve a lot of running around, but it was quite easy.

Darryn, we bypassed the defrosting problem by buying one from the Albert Heijn on Saturday. The downside of this is that it was quite big and we'll be eating turkey for the rest of the week.

--------------------
Always take a banana to a party. Bananas are good.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
went to best mates for breakfast - salmon, champagne, advacado and family dynamics - then onto the main course with mum and dad;

turkey
parsnips
brussel sprouts
potatos
brocolli
stuffing
gravy

and then

mince pie and christmas pudding in brandy butter and a couple of handfuls of cherries.

since then I have passed

four calling birds, three french hens two turtle etc's

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to cook Christmas dinner without major mishap this year (possibly because I wasn't able to start on the Cava and vodka whilst putting the oven on to warm up). We had;

turkey with stuffing
roasties
parsnips
sprouts (man, I love sprouts)
carrots
bacon rolls
stuffing balls
tiny chipolatas
gravy
cranberry sauce
a mouth wateringly good 'chocolate and cherry extravaganza' from M&S
double cream
a naughty but completely safe glass of champers for me

I'm going to wait a few days for all of this to go down nicely before attemtping a roast duck on new year's eve.

[ 26.12.2006, 08:46: Message edited by: Sidney ]

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Eve: Parents with my brother and his Polish girlfriend Beata, plus her non-english speaking sister. My father on the hobs of steel:

beetroot soup with Polish meatballs stuffed with mushrooms. I don't know what they were, but they were pretty good
turkey
carp in pork base and cream sauce
carrots
roast potatoes
parsnips
sprouts
cheesecake
tears of fullness down the pub

Christmas day, food by girlfriends mum. Riotous bellygasms:

three tier pate (I forget the ingredients but it was three colours, like a cake. The size of a cake. Grey, pink and yellow.
pea and bean soup with homemade wholemeal bread
smoked ham
more turkey
spinach
green beans
roast potatoes
sweet potato
chocolate eton mess
tutti frutti ice cream
crying

I hope you all had a fantastic Xmas TMO. xxx

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a veritable cornucopia of bellytreats this christmas which include:

Turkey
Roast tatties
Pork Pie
Goose Liver
Fried Quails eggs (what's that about them being cold?)
Roast chestnut stuffing
Shrimp Bisque
Stuffings from Paxo and gf
London Pride Ale
Sea Bass
Salmon
Scallops
Beef Wellington
Cheese that was akin to lard and un-nice, served in a shot glass with some sort of meat consomme
Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Asparagus
A ruby
Sausages
Bacon
Eggs
Mushrooms of all types
Chocklit
Fine Red Wine
Dessert wine which was a bit too sweet for my tastebuds
Not so fine dutch lager
Much finer Guinness
Gravies
Onion Bhajees
Baked Beans
Parma Ham
Grilled Ham
Samosas
Much nicer cheese than the lardy one, though with Pears I am not so sure about
Good sprouts!
Potato flan
.... and that's about all I can recall from the past 4 days.

This morning it is back to work so that will no doubt mean deep fried dutch cantine crap. My stomach will hate me again by lunchtime.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
We had chicken this year - one that my father-in-law raised and which he brought round to ours the middle of last week so that I could correctly assess the logistics of cooking, with it being the size of a medium turkey.

This wasn't really as Hugh Firmly-Whittingstall-ish as it sounds as I'd encountered the bird some weeks previous when we house-sat for D's parents. Feeding the chickens was one of the required activities, naturally enough, and I found it a bit grim. Chickens strike me as idiotic, vaguely repellent creatures - almost as depressing as goldfish in their stare-blink-staring, robotic manner.

A few years ago there was a pretty good urban legend about how KFC poultry is now reared in giant petri-tanks - nourished on raw protein and not needing any of the stuff (beaks, eyes, claws, feathers) that's so cumbersome to remove from the farm-bred hen. In fairness, though, this could hardly be much worse than chickens as they are in reality: the mindlessly crooning, occasionally hysterical old biddies of the animal kingdom.

Anyway. Roasting seems to improve them drastically - our Christmas Dinner bird was delicious.

[ 28.12.2006, 09:57: Message edited by: ben ]

Bad Tmo Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Bad Tmo Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my mums friends place where my mum is staying to get over her cancer op's of the last couple of months. She is going to be doing the Gersen? diet of juiced raw organic fruit and veg. The house is a converted dutch barn in the middle of no-where near Leominster. My mums friend is a strict vegatarian and the story was that if we wanted to eat meat then we would have to BBQ it outside on the fire, she was also a bit worried about this seeing as its her sacred fire. It was a bit touch and go about where christmas was going to be as my mum was in hospital in London at the beginning of last week with news that her previous op to take ut the cancer had not gone as successfully as previously thought and it had started to grow back. The doctors found this out on monday last week and it was thought she was going to have to be in until jan before being able to have the op. but her surgeon pulled some strings and managed to operate on tuesday, she was then discharged on weds and went to her friends on friday. My sister had told my dad that mum was in hospital and that it looked like we were going to be in London for Crimbo and forgot to call him to let him know she had been discharged so we had a call from him on saturday saying that he's decided to come to london and see us for christmas. This is quite rare as my dad suffers from M.E which I dont fully know what is, but symptoms are said to be similar to chronic fatigue so he gets tired really easily. We made phone calls to my mums friend to find out if there was going to be space at her place for him to come too, which there was which was nice. My mums friend is called Linda and she is one of mums closest frinds so she's almost like an auntie and was around lots when I was a kid, we worked out that we hadnt had a christmas with all of us there since about 1988. there were some other frinds of my mums and Linda's staying too making the total people on christmas day up to 10, in a converted barn that was quite a tight fit. Me and Justine (my girlfriend) slept in Linda's van, not as bad as it sounds cos there is a wood burner in there but waking up is not a whole lot of fun. Luckily the majority of people who came to christmas are meat eaters and Linda decided, being a minority she would allow the cooking of meat in her oven so we didnt have to do the whole outside freezing BBQ bit. My siter cooked
Roast spuds
Sprouts
Mashed swede
brocoli
carrots
stuffing balls
pigs in jackets
and a MAMA turkey
for dinner
for pud it was the typical traditional
Christmas pud with burning brandy, brandy butter and organic extra thick cream.

For breakfast we had brandy coffee followed by toasted croissants with a selection of preserves, then toasted croissants with cream cheese and smoked salmon, topped off with 'bux fizz' and copious amounts of alcohol throughout the day, so much so that after chopping some wood and my thumb with an axe we couldn't light the wood burner in the van that night. quick tip, dont chop wood with an axe while its dark, raining, fucking freezing and you are really quite drunk.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Three bird roast: pheasant, goose, duck.
Didn't get as far as the trimmings, having legged it to the toilet to fire high-pressure gravy out of my arse for about four hours.

Followed by a small glass of Scotch.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Incidentally, this ---->  - is quite the lovely.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
but is it as good as this;

-

straight up on the rocks over easy nice....

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Three bird roast: pheasant, goose, duck.
Didn't get as far as the trimmings, having legged it to the toilet to fire high-pressure gravy out of my arse for about four hours.

Followed by a small glass of Scotch.

How did you end up with a small glass of Scotch up your arse ?

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Big one wouldn't fit.

[ 29.12.2006, 11:46: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Keef
That, was liquid chate
 - posted      Profile for Keef           Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd post a quick Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all, hope your christmasses were lovely. As for christmas dinner, S and myself went round to my parents for...
Turkey
Roast Spuds
New potatoes
Stuffing balls
Pigs in blankets (My fave!)
Sprouts
Carrots
Peas
Yorkshire pudding
Thick turkey gravy

Followed by
Christmas pudding with creme fraiche
and blackberry and apple pie with ice cream.

Bootiful, as they say round these parts.

So, on to New Year's Eve...

[edit to change html to ubb]

[ 30.12.2006, 09:20: Message edited by: Keef ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+