Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » The (Extremely Un-British) 'What-I-Am-Fantastic-At' Thread (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The (Extremely Un-British) 'What-I-Am-Fantastic-At' Thread
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
At long last, the arena in which to blow your own trumpet. Don't be shy, comeon down and tell TMO what you're fantastic at!

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best I can say of myself is that I have the facilities of a Jane Austen heroine - in that I'm reasonably OK at a lot of things, especially in "the arts", to the point where I wouldn't show myself up and could do them modestly well in company.

For instance, I could sing along in an above-average way if people got out a guitar - I can draw well enough to make people nice cards. I'm able to run well enough, and I'm co-ordinated enough, to have a go at outdoor games without being a total klutz, but also without showing anyone else up.

I'm presentable, well-dressed, well-mannered and good-looking enough not to embarrass any company - this sounds like the worst sort of lower-rung job application now, doesn't it? yuk! - but not outstanding enough in any of those areas to make anyone hate me for it.

So, you know, basically I'm Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse.

The thing I'm best at is undoubtably writing, but I'd never say I'm fucking good at it. I just think it's the thing I'm best at.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fantastic - seriously fantastic - at talking my way out of a bind. Being skinny and short as well as mouthy and arrogant it kind of became an essential survival trait when I was a kid. Many times I was confronted for something I'd done to - or more often said - about someone and looked like I was in for a kicking, and before managing to diffuse the situation.

It's proved a useful transferrable skill in modern life as well. Given how breathtakingly lazy and stupid I am, I often end up in scenarios where work I've done is either non-existent or skin-pricklingly sloppy. So being able to worm your way out of a seeming inescapable accusation of inneffectuality becomes a job-saving talent. Just yesterday I spent an hour and a half composing an email explaining why this vitally important thing had not been done (forgot) which managed to not only absolve me of blame, but pin the responsibility on the person accusing me of fucking up in the first place. He's just been past my desk to apologise. Lol. Obviously this talent for deceit, duplicity and misdirection feeds into a marketing job in more general terms, too.

[ 15.03.2007, 07:30: Message edited by: Nathan Bleak ]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not fucking good at anything either. But then, my sort never are.

[ 15.03.2007, 07:15: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Black Mask

Excellent! I thought there'd just be a flurry of Poster First requests.

Okay...

I am a good cook and I make good cocktails. I can be very fucking funny and I've (surprisingly) turned out to be a good dad.

I show up for work most days, which is an achievement. I can put people at their ease. I can make good stencils and I can draw and letter pretty well.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
this is all terribly distasteful.
Black Mask

Isn't it?

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Oh, I'm also good at sex. And foreplay. And kissing. And flirting, actually. So, sex in general but not just, you know, intercourse.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit like wonderstarr, I think. Okay at most things, though not particularly fucking great at anything, or nothing that immediately springs to mind. I'll have a think on't but suspect I won't come up with much.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
All the best ones have been taken now [Frown]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
I'm fantastic - seriously fantastic - at talking my way out of a bind. Being skinny and short as well as mouthy and arrogant it kind of became an essential survival trait when I was a kid. Many times I was confronted for something I'd done to - or more often said about someone - looking like I was in for a kicking, and managed to diffuse the situation.

What's interesting is that I'm sure I've seen Samuelnorton say exactly the same, except for admitting he was (is?) skinny and weak.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I'm a bit like wonderstarr, I think. Okay at most things, though not particularly fucking great at anything, or nothing that immediately springs to mind. I'll have a think on't but suspect I won't come up with much.

Perhaps you could pay a visit one morning at your convenience? I should love to hear you on the pianoforte and I have some sketches - not very good ones, I am sure! - I'm quite certain you could do much better, but if you were at liberty to give your opinion... so much obliged.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
You really have taken to this more feminine persona, haven't you Kovacs?

Anyway. I'm pretty good at annoying the shit out of people. And, like Thorn, I can worm my way out of shit quite well. I'm a pretty fantastic liar but I do try not to.

--------------------
supa scrub

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 -

I think there are surprisingly erotic possibilities to the above photograph.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Black Mask

Will ben post on this thread..?

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
He's good at babydancing.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
 -

I think there are surprisingly erotic possibilities to the above photograph.

Is the bloke at the back shaving his penis?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
He's good at babydancing.

What, you mean like...
 - ?

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 -

BOBO DANCE FOR OO... BOBO WANT TO BE GOOD!

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really really fucking awesome at playing Gran Turismo 3. Better, certainly, than anyone I know. To the point that nobody will actually race me any more becasue in order to even the race up I must use a significantly slower car than them, in which case there's obviously no fun for them in winning (and even more humiliation when they are beaten)

I imagine there are a few people out there who are in the same sort of bracket as me, but not many.

I feel ashamed and proud in equal measures.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally skill at Nim. I have never lost a game. I only play the misère variety, though, as the normal way does my head in, and with heaps/rows of 1, 3, 5 and 7.

I know, it's the Last Year in Marienbad version, which is where I learnt it and which is very poncy, but I really am very, very good at it. I normally know I am going to win from the other player's first move.

No one is ever very impressed at this.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
And, as a result of a phone call I just received from the office, I am also good at my job! I went out on my first solo sales visit to a school the other day, and they want to buy from us! I really wasn't expecting that.

Yay for me.

I also hope I'm good at driving, as I have my test tomorrow.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, mart! Do remember to avoid fucking up every manouvere (1st Test), reversing into a tree (2nd Test) or bursting into tears at a T junction (3rd Test).

I'm sure you'll be fine, though.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
I am totally skill at Nim. I have never lost a game. I only play the misère variety, though, as the normal way does my head in, and with heaps/rows of 1, 3, 5 and 7.

I know, it's the Last Year in Marienbad version, which is where I learnt it and which is very poncy, but I really am very, very good at it. I normally know I am going to win from the other player's first move.

No one is ever very impressed at this.

Is this another made-up game, like the one with the salad cave and the gravy fairy?

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
and I've (surprisingly) turned out to be a good dad.

I'd never feel entirely comfortable about saying this. I mean, I love being a father and doing all the things a dad's supposed to do - but it feels like a hell of a hostage to fortune to say I'm 'good' at it. I guess I'll only know for certain, one way or the other, after it's too late to make much more of a difference (ie. 16th birthday or whatever the great teen rite of passage will be in ten years' time).

I know I can 'write' - whether I have sufficient talent to sustain a book is quite another matter.

So, in summary: [Frown]

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
i pretty much suck at life
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
same here [Frown]

although I do excel at being annoying

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
I make a really good bolognese. Bolognese that's so good, you might just consider using it instead of whipped cream in foreplay.

I'll provide a jar if you want, Wondervacs.

I'm pretty hot at writing stories, too, although I'm not very good at coming up with ideas in the first place.

I also have an obsessive side which means if I start working on something, I'll keep on at it until I'm half dead if I have to. Which is why I never gave up with the email form.

EDIT: Oh, and I lie like a pro. I'm this good:

-

That isn't me, though. [Razz]

[ 15.03.2007, 09:47: Message edited by: Lickapaw#2 ]

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
Yes, I like bolognese, thanks. I have another good idea. Everyone here who is shit-hot at cooking should provide, like, trial jars that they can send out to other people on the board. I wouldn't mind paying for a little jar of someone's best ever chutney or something.

Actually, that's something I am good at. I'm good at having quick ideas. I'm often not very willing to put them into practice, and some of the time they're too quick or rash or undeveloped or just stupid, but I can come up with lots of things in the... "white heat" period of creativity. Like marketing slogans or tabloid headlines, or grand, draft plot structures, or snap decisions.

I'm starting to conclude, as I get older, that I'm not really intelligent so much as relatively quick and smart. Not intelligent, really... and certainly not wise.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I can come up with lots of things in the... "white heat" period of creativity. Like ... grand, draft plot structures...

I think you and I might be able to do business!

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I've been thinking that what we need is some kind of class / aspiration map of all members of tmo. It might help to resolve differences, and prevent unsightly class clashes.

[ 15.03.2007, 10:01: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid fucking office dollies: don't get on the defensive about forgetting your password when....you've been locked out of your computer for forgetting your password.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I'm a bit late to this thread really, therefore all the main things I'm fantastic at have already been mentioned - sex, lying, cooking ability. I suppose my stock-picking ability could be described as fantastic, bearing in mind that the markets have been experiencing very tough times of late and I've still been making decent profits. My horde of followers think I'm great anyway and it gives me immense pleasure when some of my tips outperform everything else on the market - ASP, TAN, ISG, TLD (taken over), FLK, PTS, FDP and GOAL, to name but a few stars that I've uncovered in the past year or so, some of which have been (and indeed still are) discussed on popular trading website: www.chart-breakouts.co.uk

If I was a pension fund, I'd be pissing on anybody else from a great, great height in terms of sheer capital growth.

Obviously, if anyone's been eyeing up any stocks recently I'll be more than happy to run my research comb through them and offer an opinion.

[This post makes me sound like a right cunt, as do a high proportion of my others, but I couldn't give two fucks - I'm merely replying to the thread title.]

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Im really good at not faffing. In practical terms this means that I have achieved some measure of academic success, and thus far satisfied my employers that I am worth paying while spending the vast majority of the time not working. Then at the last moment I quickly complete whatever is necessary to a sufficiently high standard that nobody has yet caught on.

This also works at home. I sit around drinking gin and reading while all about me others faff, then when they are nearly ready I leap into action and we are all good to go at the same time. This avoids infuriating periods of standing by the door wearing a coat while people dither ineffectually. I have a low tolerance of faffing in others and often have to resort to calming strategies. Walking or talking slowly also count as faffing.

Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post 
What am I 'good' at? Hmm. I've written a number of papers on historical subjects as well as a couple of meaty websites - quite a few people seem to think they are quite good so I must be doing something right. My work on Panzer commander Michael Wittmann has even been used for the brochure provided with a limited edition 1:16 scale model - for which I received one of the $500 metal beauties - and I have even had Americans send me their own brochures to sign, which at first I found a little bizarre.

I also cook a mean fillet steak au poivre.

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+