TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » The Petriburger

Author Topic: The Petriburger
Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a bad time to start a thread but I can't wait 18 hours to put this one up.

Last night, a programme called Kill it, Cook it, Eat it featured some worrying yet defensible ideas involving genetically modifying food, including putting vitamin A in rice (rice contains none and about the same number of people who died in 9/11 die everyday from vitamin A deficiency) and a bull who had been modified to produce shitloads of muscle, which turned out to be thoroughly tasteless.

But at the end they showed the weirdest thing of all: meat grown from cow stem cells that was grown in a petri dish.

My question:

Would you eat the Petriburger?

At first thought I don't think I would, but my only reason for saying so is that it's so different, weird etc. So perhaps I'd grow into the idea over a few years if they became popular.

[ 20.03.2007, 12:26: Message edited by: Lickapaw#2 ]

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably give one a whirl, but I'd much prefer to be eating 'real' meat. I'm not too well-up on these petri-based food solutions but I'm pretty sure that they're very expensive. I'd certainly have no qualms about trying one though.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lickapaw#2:
a bull who had been modified to produce shitloads of muscle, which turned out to be thoroughly tasteless.

Did they taste it? I wasn't paying attention. Fierce looking animal, though. Cattle that's selectively bred for yield or 'purity' can be tasteless. I spent a fortune on Charolais that looked fantastic and cut like butter but tasted distinctly meh.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

I wouldn't eat a petriburger, though.

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give it a go.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have no qualms about eating a petriburger. I mean, come on. Most of the way real meat is prepared would sicken most meat eaters to their stomachs. Why get squeamish about something prepped in a lab instead of in a howling, grinding blood spattered abbatoir manned by half-wits and Northerners?

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
Why get squeamish about something prepped in a lab instead of in a howling, grinding blood spattered abbatoir manned by half-wits and Northerners?

I said I'd try one didn't I? I've just never tried one previously, therefore - as is usually the case with any foods that you're unfamiliar with - you're hardly going to leap in with extreme confidence. If it tasted nice, then I would jump around telling everybody how great petriburgers were.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd let loads of other people eat them for a few years then tentatively try thyem. If the loads of other people hadn't died or sprouted horns in the interim, obviously.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
real meat is prepared... in a howling, grinding blood spattered abbatoir manned by half-wits and Northerners?

Exactly.

--------------------
sweet

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have eaten one of those large arsed cows.

Or a glow in the dark rabbit.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Those cows were awsome. Like Incredible Hulk cows. Wicked.

I missed the petri-beef bit...I probably would though.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you notice that most of the evil farmers were from Belgium ?

[ 21.03.2007, 04:24: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the programme, but it was on somewhere in the house and I heard the bit about how farmers have been selective breeding for thousands of years and we've not complained about it so far. Like how carrots were originally white and the Dutch (or perhaps Belgians who had strayed across the border) selectively bred them to be orange in honour of their royal house. And how potatoes used to be poisonous till they were bred safe.

You know, one thing I don't get is why those creationist types don't say, "Yeah, evolution is correct, that's what happened, you're quite right." And then everyone would go, "Yay! They admit it at last! We are winner!" And then the creationists would go, "Yeah, it was God doing selective breeding, see." Instant reconciliation of the two theories, and everyone's happy. Except the athiests who would probably go into a rage as usual.

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Did they taste it?

Yes. They bunged this HUGE chunk of meat on a slab and cut a fierce-looking steak off it and then cooked it. No fat in it at all.

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Do athiests' rage? I thought they just moped.

Oh, chemical chance, chemical chance etc.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Do athiests rage? I thought they just moped.

Oh, chemical chance, chemical chance etc.

I might be mixing them up with scientists. But scientists don't have to be athiests, and I presume that the ones who aren't atheists don't get particularly bothered about conflicts of interest (mainly because there really aren't any when you think about it). But I imagine there are also atheists who aren't particularly bothered about science. It's the (Venn diagram) atheist-scientists. They're the ones that rage.

[ 21.03.2007, 05:22: Message edited by: dang65 ]

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lickapaw#2:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Did they taste it?

Yes. They bunged this HUGE chunk of meat on a slab and cut a fierce-looking steak off it and then cooked it. No fat in it at all.
That was the Hulk cow though not the petriburger which she just sort of waved in front of Coren and they didn't eat.

Petriburger looked like old skool Star Trek food. I'd probably try one, but I'd rather eat a nice organic steak.

Also Olivia Judson makes me feel all funny. What is going on with her voice?

[ 21.03.2007, 05:29: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah she did have a freaky voice...if you watched her face you could see her mangling her voice by gurning a bit. Like she was trying to do a Lloyd Grossman impression...
Gail
Gives baby boys intravenous nicotine
 - posted      Profile for Gail           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
But I imagine there are also atheists who aren't particularly bothered about science. It's the (Venn diagram) atheist-scientists. They're the ones that rage.

What if the atheist-scientists intersect with the apatheticists? Maybe there's only me in there.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright Gail?
Hades
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Hades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Do athiests' rage? I thought they just moped.

I'd say we mostly mutter quietly to ourselves and polietly (unless your Richard Dawkins)place our objections when the crazy cultists try to do something really stupid (like claim they should be exempt from any new laws - as in the case of the Catholic adoption thingy)
Gail
Gives baby boys intravenous nicotine
 - posted      Profile for Gail           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Alright Gail?

Shhh!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+