Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Thursday fun (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Thursday fun
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
ironically, I think one of my neighbours might work for Cadbury's. Mmmm, bet they were happy!

I thought that the chocolate jesus cock was a great statement about the fact that most people associate easter with chocolate - but the stupid christians couldn't see that [Mad]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you were going to be jettisoned into space following a nuclear explosion on your ship, what book, film and CD would you take along? Also - which tmo forumite (past or present) would keep you company in the escape pod as you slowly went insane?

Book - I'd be tempted to go for something I really loved - like World According to Garp or Kavalier and Clay, but if I was really thinking things through, I reckon a better choice would be somethign really thick, intellectually rigourous and zestily written. Something you could really lose yourself in while you drifted through space. So I think Ulysses would be a good bet. Something you can really get stuck into.

Film: Armageddon. I mean, if you've just spent the day reading Ulysses, I think you'd want a bit of brain candy for the come down. Plus, every time you felt homesick for 21st Century culture, you could watch this and know that you were actually better off drifting through space.

Music is a tough one. Probably go for something old skool - as with Ulysses something that could provide some intellectual distraction. I mean - I'm really assuming boredom is going to be your main problem in this situation. So I'd go for Brahms 4th Symphony.

For a TMO poster... I reckon it'd have to be someone I hardly knew. Familiarity is bound to breed contempt, see it seems absurd to begin with someone you're already sick of the sight of. VP, for example can send me to the edge of sanity just by sitting next to me in the car. So I think I'd take H1ppychick and I could spend the time alternating between arguing with her about stuff, and trying to fuck her.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
BookI'm torn between an easy, familiar and much loved read - something by Ian Rankin or Christopher Brookmyre, perhaps - and something unknown but potentially loveable and involving. If it were a size and enjoyment thing, I'd take A Suitable Boy, which I could cheerfully reread and which would at the very least occupy a couple of weeks in between the CD listening and the film watching anhd the inevitable sobbing for all that was lost. Maybe the best options would be some Proust. I keep telling myself I should read some Proust. Seems unlikely now, what with me hyaving given up reading and all, but maybe in this scenario it would be the Proust that cut the mustard. Not that I'd ever understood what was particularly meaningful about cutting mustard. After all, most mustard is relatively uncuttable, what with it being a paste or a liquid, even if it's ponced about mustard with grains in it. The sort of thing you might use to marinate Black Mask. Anyway. The Proust. Probably. Or Guy Gavril Kay's Summer Tree series, which has a star character called Kevin who dies fucking a goddess. You can't fault that sort of thing at all.

CD Arcade Fire Funeral. No. OK Computer. No. Er. Both of them? Half of one and half of the other? I don't know. Something that has Common People on it? Manics Holy Bible to push me that bit faster towards the suicide that would eventually have to happen because the sheer lonliness and despair and mind wrenching life change would tip me over the ever so delicate edge I live on, anyway. Oh, I don't know.

Film Not, categorically not Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. Astro said I'd love it. She was so wrong. Something with eye candy, I reckon. Maybe American Psycho. Or something cheering. What makes me laugh. No Man's Land. Black humour and stuff that makes you despair of the human race. Might add a positive spin on the destruction of all that I know and love. Bit of Eastern Europe never went down badly.

Forite Benway, I think. I've never quite got a handle on Benway. I think I've got who he is and he shifts and changes and moves beyond me again. There's myth and legend surrounding Benway. I don't know who he is. Would I want to know who he is? Probably, I reckon. And he's really fucking intelligent, I reckon you could have a reet good proper conversation with a Benway when the world's ended. And if there were just us two, I wouldn't have to feel intellectually inferior like I do sometimes when people are more cleverer than me. Yes, Benway.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Sunshine on Thursday, it's not very good. Pretty effects, but pretty rubbish otherwise. I saw TMNT on Sunday and that was much better.

Anyway.

Book: Some big volume of works of art with large glossy pictures that I could stare at for days. One of the pictures would have to be of Christina's World.

-

I think I could look at that for a very long time.

CD: My instant reaction is not Revolver, even though it's my favourite album. I think Good Day Sunshine would drive me a little doolally under the circumstances. Indeed I think like Thorn says most contemporary music would get old quickly. So I think I'd go for some opera, but I'm not sure what.

Film: The Searchers, I'm always happy to watch it and it's got everything.

Forite: After much deliberation I'm inclined to say Veep, because she's clever and funny and nice to look at and it might finally give her a valid reason to complain about the lack of decent available men.

[ 10.04.2007, 06:15: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post 
Book

Hmmm. Too many choices. For historical fiction I think something like I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles. For something less fluff: A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, but the illustrated version (I have both), so at least I'd also have pictures to look at. For sheer pleasure: Robert Heinlein's Friday.

CD

Why a cd? I think I'd rather have my Ipod. That way I can have a wide variety of music. Recently added to Ipod: The new Modest Mouse, more Regina Spector, Gym Class Heroes, Paolo Nutini and some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Fillum

Until The End Of The World by Wim Wenders. It's my all time fave movie - ever. And it's been my favorite movie since I was 16...that's 16 years. Christ alive, that's a long time.

Forite

I'm very indecisive.

So:

I think perhaps I'd somehow smuggle all of you, that way it would be like a giant meat and we'd probably all end up killing each other.

Currently wearing

pink flannel pj's with white clouds on them. Although, I need to get dressed, so that I can drive the husband to work. Then go to school.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
bad news - I'm afraid that Danny Boyle, the director of Trainspotting and 28 Days Later, can't find time in his schedule to visit the moononline and judge the entries in the Sunshine competition. He's texted me to tell me that he's had a look at the first page, and will try and look again tommorow. His registration kept getting bounced by Darryn. He also thanked me for my work on the script:

quote:
SRRY - SEEN PAGE1 BUT BETER THINGS 2 DO 2DAY - WILL TRI AND LOOK AGAINS TMRW. CANT REG??! THX FR YUR HELP W THE SCRIPT!!!!!.

I'm disappointed by this, but thanks for all the great responses so far, and I hope you all get a chance to check the film out over the next week or so. I've got some badges and a mousemat if anybody wants them - pm me for the 'deets'.

[ 10.04.2007, 08:53: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
okay, just the mousemat now.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+