Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Pub compilation

Author Topic: Pub compilation
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK it's like this - we all have a favourite drinking establishment, and say they had a thing for playing customers CD's - what would you put on a CD to hear while you are partying the night away with your mates? You know something that will get the party going ....

I am lucky that my local will accomodate customer CDs and play them (If they like you) so here's my top ten:

Darkness - I believe in a thing called love
Janes Addiction - Just because
Antiproduct - Going where the action is
The Donnas - Pass it around
Therapy - Hail Satan! You Rock!
Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Billericay Dickie
Electric Six - Gay Bar
The Wildhearts - Cheers Theme
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Plan A - hey Ho
[/list]

[ 16.11.2003, 18:58: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Colenski
If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith
 - posted      Profile for Colenski           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Busted - Crashed the Wedding

Britney Spears feat. Madonna - Me Against the Music

Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On

Kylie Minogue - Slow

Fatman Scoop feat. Crooklyn Clan - Be Faithful

Outkast - Hey Ya!

Blazin' Squad - Flip Reverse

The Black Eyed Peas - Where is the Love

Ronan Keating - Lost For Words

Missy Elliott - Pass That Dutch

[ 16.11.2003, 23:10: Message edited by: Colenski ]

--------------------
The wise have no motives;
Fools put themselves in bondage.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note the best two pub dukeboxes I know in London are to be found in Bradley's Spanish Bar (off Oxford Street) and The Approach (Bethnal Green, not far from Museum of Childhood).
Both of these places are top quality drinking establishments, but they are raised to even greater status by the quality of their respective dukes.
The Approach gets a great deal of credit for having a Gil Scott Heron CD on theirs, but I think Bradley's edges it. Apart from anything else it features both 'Waterloo Sunset'(a particular fave at this time of year - "Chilly, chilly is the evenin' time" etc) and 'Uptown Top Rankin'. It is virtually impossible to make a bad trip to the dukebox in Bradley's.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Londie
Why do I have a tag when nobody else does?
 - posted      Profile for Londie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukebox? Awww, bless BR. [Smile]
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes DUKEbox. As in a box of dukes.
They are powered by lots of little Royal types, wearing restoration wigs, and running on cogs and things. Well known fact that.

[ 17.11.2003, 01:35: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

squirrelandgman
"well thats fucking funny"
 - posted      Profile for squirrelandgman           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
The Approach

Yes. It does need Milk and Alcohol on it though.
StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corbieres in Manchester is a shithole dive that also happens to have one of the best dukeboxes I've encountered. It rather quaintly eschews the modern CD for seven inch records, so the fact that The B52's Rock Lobster is on there also means that the ace B-side Planet claire is also on.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When duckboxes used to have records instead of cds, as mentioned by StevieX, there were a couple of e.p.s on the one in our local cafe and these would go on for extra value. One I remember as being extra value and good was the b-side of The Animals House Of The Rising Sun which had We've Got To Get Out Of This Place and Let The Good Times Roll. These two songs together probably added up to about half the length of a Girls Aloud single, but some 800 times the value.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember in my local in Danbury where I spent most of my younger years - my best mates dad was the Landlord of the local and the juke box had been "possessed" between number 68A through to 82B.

The particular favourite had to be "See Emily Play" by the Floyd - no matter who we were talking to, every time that record came on and the manic bit in the middle started, we always did the apoplectic dance. Really quite bizarre and ridiculous, but it made for happy memories of the Bakers Arms. A top pub.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My college bar at uni used to have Cotton Eye Joe by that band that was dead famous aeons ago. Then the bar rep smashed it to smithereens in front of my disbelieving eyes. I think it was something to do with the fact I insisted on playing it quite often. It only cost 10p per song. Ah, sweet student nostalgia.
discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the best dukebox in the world is the barman who looks like frodo at the union in greenwich. he will put on your ceedees on a sunday afternoon when you are all still drunk from the night before, even though those ceedees include "broken wings" by mister mister. soft rock ceedees plus microbrewery beer plus roast parsnips plus loved ones = perfect happiness.

i am super homesick now.

i introduced boy racer to the joys of the bradleys dukebox. he would not know about it if it wasnt for me. introducing people to the bradleys dukebox is the best thing ever.

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corbieres, where is this place?

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie Wood's pub on the canal by Trellick Tower has a good jukebox. It gets refilled every few weeks by the Rough Trade shop in Portobello. The pub's a bit pricey, though. And it tends to fill up with ponces at the weekend. Still a good jukebox, though.

--------------------
sweet

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jnhoj:
Corbieres, where is this place?

Half Moon Street - near Cross Street.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+