Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » negative cool credit.

Author Topic: negative cool credit.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found myself enjoying "numb" by linkin park, and even considering downloading it. So, I'm obviously in trouble here. To prevent being tempted into buying everything that Xfm pipes into my little ears (this could include The Offspring's latest shitfest and "move over DJ" by Jets(?)- the other two songs they have in their cd players), can anybody tell me what's cool at the moment? What should I be listening to? You know, insider knowledge, hot tips, etc.. so I and other forumites can remain on the cutting edge of pop culture? Currently, I'm running at about 6 months behind the actual edge, and this needs to stop. Any ideas?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This album is pretty fucking good.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you heard The Chain, by Fleetwood Mack? It's very good.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has to be on the cutting edge of cool as well as good, I'm afraid. Is that album cool, BR?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
It has to be on the cutting edge of cool as well as good, I'm afraid. Is that album cool, BR?

Well "it's an inspired, if unlikely, marriage of lo-fi innocence and hi-tech beauty" that sounds pretty cool/cutting edge to me.

This bloke's been around for a while but I think his stuff is ice cold.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Londie
Why do I have a tag when nobody else does?
 - posted      Profile for Londie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, state that you’re not really sure what’s going on or what’s hip. Everything changes so fast it leaves you a bit befuddled, you explain, so what you tend to do is, you just follow a particular interest that you’ve developed. So you’ve been listening to lots of JJ Fad and L’Trimm and MC Luscious (well, actually, the only three tracks by them you can find on Kazaa, but you pretend you’ve been rummaging through charity shops and car boot sales and just happen to have found a great cache of this eighties rap bitch stuff which sparked your interest). You’ve also dug out that old ESG album – did you know they were just from, like, the Bronx, and they had no money, and they were this family and their mum gave them these instruments to keep them out of trouble and they came up with these incredible rhythms and stuff, really raw and the cowbell sound is just right there and if you play it out just a tiny bit speeded up people really go mad and dance like spastics, it’s so funny? Yeah. So.

And then you’ve also been embracing (six months too late, silly little you) the pure poetic pop-shimmeriness of ‘Round Round’ and ‘Sound of the Underground’ because sometimes there’s nothing so soothing to the ears as really really really pristine production, like sliding a wettened fingertip across a glass coffee-table surface and hearing it squeak. Then you should shrug and look faintly embarrassed at your weakness for such pop pap, like you know it’s not fashionable but you’re driven by your passions and as such you can’t help yourself. (It helps to bite your lip, twirl your hair, kick your feet inwards, pull the string of your parka or whatever your own special ‘cute quirk’ is at this particular moment.)

And then you might say oh, but have you heard [insert name of album that is not out yet here], and explain how it’s by this guy who normally does hip-hop but he went off to Spain to try and find his dad and his ‘roots’ and ended up renting a house with this girl who shared his love of classical Brazilian music, so they just, made music together. Just like that. The girl had never even sung before. And so it’s like traditional Spanish / Brazilian classical stuff, but it’s mixed ever so gently with this electronica, because it’s on Warp (don’t explain what ‘being on Warp’ means, don’t contextualise, assume the knowledge, look into their eyes as you mention the label, draw them into your little circle) and it’s so exquisite, really gentle and yearning without being sad or depressing, and who could have thought that [insert name of artist] would just go off and make something like that? (Whatever you do, do not mention Strokes / White Stripes / Rapture or anything else that may have ever been mentioned in a broadsheet newspaper, not even to slag it off. Do not get involved in debate. Make like you have no idea these groups even exist, because you’re so lost in your own little world of just genuinely following your musical yearnings that the zeitgeist and its fancies just waft straight over your head.)

And then pause like you’ve just suddenly remembered something and rummage in your bag and then triumphantly pull out a cd with a cover that’s obviously been run off on a home colour printer and then roughly stitched all over with a sewing machine in orange thread. Then make your voice go all reverent and say oh, this this - this is great! It’s [insert first name of acquaintance]’s new thing! You know, from [insert name of tiny cottage industry record label that acquaintance runs with his girlfriend whilst being on dole despite being 29 years old]. It’s amazing. I must burn it for you. And then look into their eyes again and give them a little smile and shrug and maybe make a few things fall out of your bag or sort of tug your bag around behind you or zip up your parka or get out a cigarette and then pat all your pockets until you find your lighter.

[ 27.11.2003, 04:58: Message edited by: Londie ]

Dr. Benway

I like the sound of that plan, London. I think that I could become dangerously cool if I adopted such a stance, and might be in danger of losing the few friends I have. But, on the plus side, I suppose I would trade them off for cooler friends, and I could look at my new friends and be happy that they are cooler than my old friends. Hmm.
Still, Good point about broadsheets. I must admit, if it's mentioned in an ad for the Sunday Times, chances are I will subconsciously strike it off any kind of list that I might have been gathering. Same for the Mercury Prize, although I was foolish enough to buy the Roni Size album. I suppose it wasn't that bad, but it was a bit coffee table, yer narr?

I was thinking about maybe entering into a scene of some kind, as that would supply a constant stream of cool music, as well as maybe drugs and sex. Presumably I need to pick one that will eventually become mainstream (maybe 6 months to year?), in order for me to be able to moan about it, and will be relevant to my socio-political position. I missed out on Jamaican dancehall, and was too late on electroclash, so I was wondering if you, or anybody, have any ideas about a good scene to ease myself into, with prospects of accumulating cool capital?

I am willing to bite the bullet, and move to anywhere within North and North-East London in order to chase, and then assimilate into, the scene.

[ 27.11.2003, 05:31: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Londie
I-I can't really help you with that, because I'm not really sure what's going on, or what's hip or anything. I'm just really into the Woolwich ferry at the moment. I'm going to the library to look at some books about it now.
fish
Media Whore
 - posted      Profile for fish           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently enjoying Gary Jules who I recently "discovered". If hearing someone on Radio 2 and then downloading a few of their songs from Kazaa really counts as a discovery. Also he's been widely distributed and marketed on the back of his Mad World song from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. So I guess it's really not very cool, not very hip, and not very original... sorry.

Infact, the more I think about it, the more I feel like I've just jumped on the latest bandwagon... a sort of male-Dido phenomenon. Bugger. Thank god I only downloaded his songs and didn't buy the album. Did you hear that StevieX? Did you?

[ 27.11.2003, 05:50: Message edited by: fish ]

Dr. Benway

no, Will Young is the new male Dido. His new single is selling very well, I hear. Gary Jules was the new male Dido about a million years ago [Smile] .

[ 27.11.2003, 05:55: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

fish
Media Whore
 - posted      Profile for fish           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! my plan worked...

I may not have helped to make you more cool, but I certainly made you feel cooler didn't I?

errrr.

Dr. Benway

uhmm..

ye-es...

?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Londie
I asked these young people that I know, and they just said just pick a thing, like 'laptops' or 'norweigan jazz', or 'ghetto-tech', and go to everything in London related to that genre. Alternatively, pick a club like Trash or Tomboy Fury or the Kennel Club or whatever the young people are going to, and go there EVERY SINGLE FUCKING WEEK until you know the people there, and they will give you flyers to their events, the little mini-clubs and gigs that they are all putting on, and in two shakes of a lamb's tail you will be 'in' that scene, huffing and snorting and being cool. It's dead simple, I hear, as long as you are young, cute, open to change and willing to learn.
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're too old to be cool now, once you accept this FACT you will be able to see that you no longer need to ask other people who are too old to be cool how to be cool because it's irrelevent (sp? [Cool] )
Londie
<whispers> dude, he’s still got another month left of being 24… don’t ruin it for him…</whispers>
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<whispers> psst, er, Londie, can I borrow you in Life for a minute please? </whispers>

--------------------
uberwench

mimolette
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for mimolette           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shitface dweezil has a new "cut" out. You can't buy it, though, somebody has to give it to you.

That's how cool it is.

Cool.

--------------------
Paul is dead

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+