my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Live8 (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Live8
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have won tickets, anyone up for a Live8meat?

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Mil
 - posted      Profile for Mil           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but are you sure? There are loads of fake messages about.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a message with a claim number and which directed me to www.live8live.com to claim tickets for either postal delivery or collection from an O2 shop. Seems kosher but will have to wait and see.

The distribution is run by www.trinitystreetdirect.com which itself looks vaguely legit.

--------------------

Keef
That, was liquid chate
 - posted      Profile for Keef           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I heard the rumour that Pink Floyd (Sans Barret of course) were reforming for Live 8 I didn't believe it. Never, I thought. Then they go and announce it AFTER the ticket lottery. That's just not cricket. I would have entered numerous times if I thought there was a chance of seeing the reformed Floyd. Right, I'm off to Ebay to cringe at how much tickets will cost me...
The H Pony
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for The H Pony           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Floyd? Oh man, that's just disgusting. Ain't it the pits when your angels turn whore.

--------------------
Maria's got a rifle

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The H Pony:
The Floyd? Oh man, that's just disgusting. Ain't it the pits when your angels turn whore.

What does that mean?
statist
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for statist           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely what the PHony is trying to say is that it's horrible when bands get back together for $mucho. Although how the last incarnation of Pink Floyd can be anyone's angel is well beyone me.

--------------------
every action has a song!

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by statist:
Surely what the PHony is trying to say is that it's horrible when bands get back together for $mucho. Although how the last incarnation of Pink Floyd can be anyone's angel is well beyone me.

Well, as I said on the other thread, Pink Floyd is probably the one band which would make middle-aged politicians stop and take a look at the telly for a bit. There is no way they need the money, and they are putting aside many years of squabbling to do this (although I believe Roger Waters has mellowed greatly in recent years).

The "last incarnation" of Pink Floyd is probably not anyone's angel, no, but the classic 1968-1981 line-up which is playing at Live8 made mellow psychedelic folk music which has never been equalled.

I know it all went a bit tits up in later years, but it's unfair to judge a band purely on their 8th, 9th, 10th albums or whatever. Judge Pink Floyd on the More soundtrack, Obscured By Clouds, Side Two of Atom Heart Mother, the remastered Ummagumma and the soundtrack of Zabriskie Point. And loads of the later stuff too, which has only suffered from over-familiarity, not poor quality.

I dunno, they might be shite at Live8, but this line-up deserves a lot of respect in the musical history of this country and one hopes they will demonstrate exactly why on the day.

statist
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
There is no way they need the money

Well no. But when someone uses the expression 'turn whore', you could assume that is what they meant, surely.

quote:
I know it all went a bit tits up in later years, but it's unfair to judge a band purely on their 8th, 9th, 10th albums or whatever.

Well, it's not judging the band as such, though. I mean OK, a band may have made good music over three decades ago but it's the members that are coming together to play live again. When talking about reformations, it's the members that should be judged, not what their records were like in '68. To do that, it does seem fair to look at the most recent material, even if the lineup isn't 100% the same.

[ 14.06.2005, 05:27: Message edited by: statist ]

--------------------
every action has a song!

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I'm not quite getting statist's point. Call them whores then when rightly pointed out that they don't need the money, mumble "so what, they're still whores", and then when the argument is made that the line up that is playing made excellent music that is still relevant today say "but individually they're a bunch of c**ts"? I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Well, it's not judging the band as such, though. I mean OK, a band may have made good music over three decades ago but it's the members that are coming together to play live again. When talking about reformations, it's the members that should be judged, not what their records were like in '68. To do that, it does seem fair to look at the most recent material, even if the lineup isn't 100% the same.

I can see your viewpoint, but I still beg to differ. What you're suggesting is like judging The Beatles on Paul McCartney's last record with Ringo Starr guesting on the drums. The last line up of Pink Floyd only had David Gilmore and Nick Mason out of the line-up that's playing at Live8. It wasn't the same band in anything but name.

The Live8 line-up is the true Pink Floyd, more so than either the Syd Barrett version or the post-Roger Waters version. It's the band which made consistently excellent music for 13 years and will hopefully recreate that at Live8, though they may be stuck with a short set of songs which everyone on the planet knows backwards - some are suggesting, Money, Brain Damage, Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb. The fantasy would perhaps be, I dunno, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, Wot's... Uh The Deal, Careful With That Axe Eugene and Echoes. But that seems a bit unlikely.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah but they arent getting together to do an album. At least not yet...

So I am assuming they are simply going to play a few classics for the starving kiddies in Africa.

--------------------
supa scrub

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I seem to have won tickets, anyone up for a Live8meat?

-
"It appearth that the Hippychick and hew ilk have thwallowed a twuckload of nonthenth."

[ 14.06.2005, 06:08: Message edited by: ben ]

statist
TMO Member
quote:
I'm not quite getting statist's point. Call them whores then when rightly pointed out that they don't need the money, mumble "so what, they're still whores", and then when the argument is made that the line up that is playing made excellent music that is still relevant today say "but individually they're a bunch of c**ts"? I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make.

I'm not sure that I ever had the intention of making a point. Oh right, maybe I did. Hmm. OK, firstly I never said that I believed Pink Floyd to be whores. I was, at best, trying to clarify what someone else meant by the expression 'turn whore'. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd but I certainly wasn't trying to do them down in any post. There are many other bands more worthy of my contempt than Pink Floyd.

When and how did I say they were still a bunch of ***** or anything like it? OK, as I said in the last paragraph, they are certainly not favourites of mine. Fair enough. But dang65 had pointed out previously that I should judge them by their output between '68 and 81'. While I agree it may be valid to assess a band by material from a certain bracket, I don't feel the same about assessing the performance of a band that is reforming in 2005 for live appearances. Even though they may not be all the same people as the most recent 'Pink Floyd', I still think it's valid to look at the very latest output from that incarnation because it was in the most similar time-frame.

[ 14.06.2005, 06:09: Message edited by: statist ]

--------------------
every action has a song!

statist
TMO Member
quote:
I can see your viewpoint, but I still beg to differ. What you're suggesting is like judging The Beatles on Paul McCartney's last record with Ringo Starr guesting on the drums. The last line up of Pink Floyd only had David Gilmore and Nick Mason out of the line-up that's playing at Live8. It wasn't the same band in anything but name.

Not completely no, but to a certain degree I guess I must be. I think the Beatles are a good example to back up your point. Rather extreme, though. Yes OK, Ringo's Tar wrote a couple of silly songs. But John and George -- the other two songwrites -- are dead for fucks sake. I know Paul McCartney still seems to be playing Beatles songs live whenever I accidentally catch bits of his concerts on the telly. If there could be a Beatles reformation, I think that it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to look at McCartney performances of these songs to get some idea of how they may be performed by the 65 year old Beatles.

--------------------
every action has a song!

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by squeegy:
I am assuming they are simply going to play a few classics for the starving kiddies in Africa.

As far as I can make out, Live8 isn't about raising money for Africa in the classic Live Aid style, it's about getting the rich nations of G8 to write off the debts of poor countries around the world. As such, Geldof wants to get millions of people up to Edinburgh, and on telly at various huge concerts across the planet, so that the G8 types take notice.

The question is, will they take more notice if Robbie Williams is introduced on stage by David Beckham, or if the classic line-up of Pink Floyd is there playing songs the world leaders used to listen to when they were still at college in 1974.

This is where Pink Floyd are leveraging their genuine power, not to raise money but to raise profile.

statist
TMO Member
quote:
So I am assuming they are simply going to play a few classics for the starving kiddies in Africa.

You know you're not supposed to generalise like that. Starving kiddies in Africa. Perpetuating the public idea that Africa is all fucked up and that. You should be ashamed of yourself.

--------------------
every action has a song!

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't Squeegy just go and make a fuck of a load of jam sandwiches, load up a Humvee and go on a roadtrip? So simple.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shall I shop my parents for getting live8 tickets and then selling them on ebay? I find this behaviour shocking and frankly unacceptable. It's disgusting even.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Can't Squeegy just go and make a fuck of a load of jam sandwiches, load up a Humvee and go on a roadtrip? So simple.

What am I doing with the jam sandwiches? If I am distributing them is it OK to trade them for local grass?

--------------------
supa scrub

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Shall I shop my parents for getting live8 tickets and then selling them on ebay? I find this behaviour shocking and frankly unacceptable. It's disgusting even.

Why don't you just phone them up pretending to be Bob Geldof. I'm sure that unleashing a stream of Irish accented obscenity and loathing at your own parents would be very therapeutic for you and quite chastening for them. As long as they didn't recognise your voice. Try stuffing a pair of socks into your mouth while you're talking.
statist
TMO Member
quote:
What am I doing with the jam sandwiches?

You are operating an arms for jam sandwiches exchange.

--------------------
every action has a song!

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
If I am distributing them is it OK to trade them for local grass?

Is that the really long grass where the famous Fokawi pygmies live? Well known for jumping up and down all day going, "We're the Fokawi?"

(n.b. I'm pretty sure Livingstone told that one to Stanley shortly after they met, but it remains a classic.)

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
*bump*

Does anyone know of or can recommend any decent but preferably cheapish hotels near Hyde Park that I can check out for availability on the Friday and Saturday?

Please help meeee...

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed at the Grosvenor, the Park Lane Hilton and the Dorchester in the past. They're OK, I suppose, if you don't mind hotels full of total fucking posturing scum.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
A glowing recommendation.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I think everyone's fucking scum, everywhere I go. I can say with absolute certainty that every hotel I've stayed in has had at least one total fucking twat in it for the duration of my stay.
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
every hotel I've stayed in has had at least one total fucking twat in it for the duration of my stay.

There is a really obvious joke to be made about that Thorn.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
quote:
every hotel I've stayed in has had at least one total fucking twat in it for the duration of my stay.

There is a really obvious joke to be made about that Thorn.
Yes - I like it when I make a joke without it having to be explicit and then some gibbon turns up all like "hurr hurr Thorn's accidentally set himself up for a put-down" and ruins it because they think they're the only person that can see the gag.
George the Robot
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for George the Robot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
*bump*

Does anyone know of or can recommend any decent but preferably cheapish hotels near Hyde Park that I can check out for availability on the Friday and Saturday?

Please help meeee...

There are no cheap hotels near Hyde Park. Even if there were they'll already be charging mega £££s because of Live8. In fact, you're pretty much fucked for cheap AND decent hotels in London. You could find cheap and shit, or expensive and good, but not both. Sorry. Your only hope is to go onto Lastminute.com and trawl through there, but I reckon you've got no chance.

Hello everyone, by the way.
[Smile]

--------------------
murr.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
*sob*

I already expected that to be the case, but was hoping against hope.

And, hello again.

--------------------

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: sleeping in hyde park - I don't recommend the steps of any nearby embassies. I tried this after a night on the tequila and got punched in the face by some kind of security fellow.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
I like it when I make a joke without it having to be explicit and then some gibbon turns up all like "hurr hurr Thorn's accidentally set himself up for a put-down" and ruins it because they think they're the only person that can see the gag.

I thought that's what Hippychick was doing with her original post.

"Does anyone know of or can recommend any decent but preferably cheapish hotels near Hyde Park that I can check out for availability on the Friday and Saturday?"

Heh heh, yeah, good one.

fish
Media Whore
 - posted      Profile for fish           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
*bump*

Please help meeee...

It's worth trying Bayswater. It's only about 5-10 minutes walk from the park and just about every other building in Bayswater is a hotel, B&B or "guesthouse".

I'm afraid I can't really recommend one, but if you want "nice", I'd go for 4* as a minimum in that area because some of them look a bit pikey. Also, don't judge them by name as there's bound to be loads of dodgy B&B's called "The Royal Park Hotel" or somesuch.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like gibbons., but they are highly territorial apparently. You might like them too.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+