Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Anthony and The Johnsons

Author Topic: Anthony and The Johnsons
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody like this guy?

I saw him on the telly at the weekend and I nearly pissed myself. What absolute fucking rubbish. I couldn't listen to the first album, seems like this one is more of the same. We've got a friend who's a hormonal, Jewish, borderline-suicidal, late-middle-aged Sociology teacher, she's trapped in a doomed eons-old relationship with a supremely dysfunctional closeted gay guy. When she phones up for a weepy drone do you know who she sounds like? Shall I tell you? She sounds like Anthony from Anthony and the Johnsons. Fucking hell...

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love his work.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you direct me to some example of his work that isn't laughably awful?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

See, I'm harbouring a suspicion that there's actually a big joke going down and I'm pissed that I'm not in on it. Like, all these people going, "Oh, that bloke from Anthony and the Johnsons, hasn't he got a terrific voice [snigger]... and he's got such a unique look, he's a real inspiration [sniggerlol]... he's more like a living work of art than a human being [collapsegiggle]" and I'm not on the inside of the gag. But, you know, I'm not gonna just jump in and rate him on the off-chance that there's a big elaborate joke being played, because rating this guy would just be utterly wrong. I mean, he sounds like a sad Clanger.

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
No. I've only ever heard one of his songs once. I thought it sounded a lot like a hormonal, Jewish, borderline-suicidal, late-middle-aged Sociology teacher, trapped in a doomed eons-old relationship with a supremely dysfunctional closeted gay guy, Who's phoned up for a weepy drone.
Not an easy sound to get right, therefore he's a genius, the big wannabe-trans-sexual weirdo. Grow some fucking eyebrows Anthony, or aren't you man enough?

McDirts
TMO Member
and what the fuck is this quote? FUCKING VERY FUCking insightful Anthony, what a genius...
Hegarty: "I read this article about dreaming last night and it said when you go to sleep one of the functions of REM is to file and store all the information you've collected over the day. "It is interesting to think that going to sleep you're just processing - as long as we're here we're gathering information…which ultimately becomes our conscious expression."

Black Mask

I think he's mixed up REM with RAM. What a cock.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Apparently, he's got a lot of sisters or he's every woman, or something...

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

LOL Nice moves, Tone. What a great stage presence.

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
"You are my sister and I love you, may all of your dreams come true"
It's lyrics like this that show the gulf in talent between the likes of Westlife and geniuses such as Antony.

Apparently he's doing a duet with Shane McGowan soon, they're re-doing the Irish Rover.

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by McDirts:

Apparently he's doing a duet with Shane McGowan soon, they're re-doing the Irish Rover.

Ooh, file that one under Voodoo.

[ 19.01.2009, 13:29: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
LOL Nice moves, Tone. What a great stage presence.

He looks like Kathy Burke as Perry.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
He looks like Kathy Burke as Perry.

spotonlol

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+