email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » arseflaps

Author Topic: arseflaps
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My colleague decided to rename all the printers on the print server so the names reflected where the printers were.

Nice idea but now people need to reconnect to the printers. Only problem is, when trying to emove the printer from your system, it says it can't remove it as the printer doesn't exist.

Any idea anyone?

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd give helpdesk a call.
Ringo

I tried rebooting but it didn't help.
Stefanos
Biggus Dickus
 - posted      Profile for Stefanos           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delete the bastards out of the registry, old bean - or send out a reg fix to the users and get them to click on it...

--------------------
Essex boy in exile.

Ringo

do what?

ringo_star2001@hotmail.com

ondine
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ondine           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
My colleague decided to rename all the printers on the print server so the names reflected where the printers were.

Nice idea but now people need to reconnect to the printers. Only problem is, when trying to emove the printer from your system, it says it can't remove it as the printer doesn't exist.

Any idea anyone?

Yes. Drop the printers onto said colleague's head from a great height, then get him/her to fix it.
charrudeboi
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for charrudeboi           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any luck with this yet ringers?
Ringo

nope, it's been suggested that I might need to use regedit but i'm hoping to find an easier way to do it.

I'm sure that in W2k there's something you can simply delete from your profile but I'm buggered if I know..

Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
nope, it's been suggested that I might need to use regedit but i'm hoping to find an easier way to do it.

Remember though that if you do it once on one machine through Regedit you can then simply export the relevant registry hive(s) and distribute them to all users to be run which might make it the easiest solution in the long run if you've got a lot of users with the same problem.
Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at this as well Ringo. Hopefully if it works you could distribute it to your users as an executable script. I've tried looking through my local drive and network drive to see where we store the list of printers that a user is connected to but I can't find anything anywhere, perhaps some kind of Regedit hack or the above script is the only way of doing it?

[ 29.01.2004, 03:26: Message edited by: Bamba ]

Stefanos
Biggus Dickus
 - posted      Profile for Stefanos           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Editting the registry has been the only way I've got round this problem when one of my technical superiors changes the names of printers on servers...

--------------------
Essex boy in exile.

Ringo

actually I've discovered that if you just pull the network cable out of the PC, you can remove the printer without any problems...
charrudeboi
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for charrudeboi           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol tastic
Ringo

Simple but effective

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+