Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » What system you rocking?

Author Topic: What system you rocking?
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple G4 450mhz
1gb ram, 40mb HD, OSX Panther,
Mitsubishi Diamond Plus CRT 19" monitor
Formac 8x External DVD/CD Writer
Lacie 80gb External Firewire HD
Zip 100 USB
Bluetooth adapter (for phone sync)
Labtec speakers and sub
Canon Canoscan a4 scanner
Epson Photo 890 a4 printer
Packard Bell optical Mouse (borrowed)

Well outdated kit inherited from my last job as part of redundancy deal that's going to be upgraded as soon as I can justify it. It's slow, the 40gb HD is just unbelievably small by today's standards but especially so because I use Photoshop all the time for proper big multilayered images. It's pretty stable though. *touches wood*

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IAN, I'm toying with the idea of buying a Apple G4 450mhz as I've found a guy selling the full kit with 17' Apple monitor (The G4 one that looks like a G3 ut on legs) for 150 Euro (103 pounds).

It's only got a small amount of memory (192 I think) but I can upgrade that and hooked into the network here there would be no need to replace any harddrives (Just share the network drive)

Would you say the G4 is worth it or not ?

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASROCK K7S8X
650Watt 'Silent'* dual fan PSU
1G RAM@333Mhz
Athlon XP 3000+ w/Zalman CNPS7700-Cu fan + Arctic Silver paste
ASUS TOP EN6600GT AGP w/ Arctic Silver
60Gig Maxtor@7,200 rpm
120Gig Maxtor@9,000 rpm
21" Iiyama CRT

It's getting on, and the 6600gt is probably the last addition to this setup. Next will have to be a full upgrade to 64bit CPU, PCI-E motherboard, a 7800GTX, and much faster RAM. Still, there's life in the old dog. It's much quieter than it used to be, and thanks to the Arctic Silver, I've pushed the GPU up another 15% on the 10% it came with. The CPU isn't overclocked, because the board isn't that helpful. Just about all I can do is push up the FSB, not the chip itself, and that seemed to make the system unstable.

Still, it's all in a fairly shitty case, which I kind of like. The only clue to the work that I've done is a couple of case fans has got LEDs in them, and the light peeps through the back of the case. I love the zalman fan. Aesthetically, that's my favourite bit.

-

*not silent

[ 10.10.2005, 05:36: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

not...
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
IAN, I'm toying with the idea of buying a Apple G4 450mhz as I've found a guy selling the full kit with 17' Apple monitor (The G4 one that looks like a G3 ut on legs) for 150 Euro (103 pounds).

It's only got a small amount of memory (192 I think) but I can upgrade that and hooked into the network here there would be no need to replace any harddrives (Just share the network drive)

Would you say the G4 is worth it or not ?

It's definately a very good price! I'd expect to pay about £175 for the g4 alone.

I use my G4 every day for design work and it does the job. As I say it's slow by todays standards. But it did run OS9 pretty well. It's only since I upgraded to OSX that I really started to notice it's lack of speed. It's not cutting edge by any means, but if you need a mac and you only want to spend a little amount it's pretty good.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an old G3 333 with 256RAM running here at the moment but the speakers have died (I had to replace the motherboards backup battery last weekend, 13 euros for a battery !) and the cable must have got damaged in the process (I've had its insides out a few times) and if getting a new cable is going to cost an arm then I maight just get a decent second hand mac G4, I only really want it for cross checking photoshop and illustrator images I make on the PC, they look so much better on the Mac somehow..

Is it a much better system than the old G3 ?

Where the hell can I buy loose replacement speaker cables ?

[ 10.10.2005, 06:04: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

not...
Oh yeah, In that case I'd go for it
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still 'rocking' a AMD 2200XP+ with 512mb of ram and a 64mb vid card... It is soooooooo beat up, it actually groans when I turn it on...

But, in a couple weeks, this'll be my baby:

Processor Intel Pentium 4 64Bit 3.4GHz 800FSB 2MB Cache

Mother Board ASROCK

Memory 1024MB (1GB) PC533 533MHz DDR2 Ram

Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive 8M Cache

Graphics Nvidia Geforce 6200 PCI Express with Turbo Cache 256MB DDR TV-OUT + DVI

Sound Card 6 Channel Digital Audio Integrated

CD/DVD DVDRW 16X Dual Layer DVD Rewriter +/-

Case 400W ATX Midi Tower Case (Same in picture)

Monitor 19" M/M Flat Panel TFT Monitor (3 Years Onsite Warranty)

To which I'm going to be adding my existing 3HDD's (80gb, 2x120gb)

I was going to go for an AMD cuz I hate Intel, but for the price, it being a 64bit Intel w/Hyerthreading and 19" TFT, I had to swallow my pride and go with this one...

Ofcourse, if the AMD equiv comes down a bit before I buy it, it'll be mine... Oh yeah, it'll be MINE!

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6.8 inches.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
6.8 inches.

Sweet.
sabian

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
6.8 inches.

Yeah... After a couple hours on this:
 -

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
System 1: For games, design (web, print, graphic), video editing, etc.
• Athlon XP 2400+
• 1 Gb Crucial RAM
• PNY GeForce 6600GT 128Mb VIVO
• Creative Audigy
• DVD-R/RW/RAM
• 40 Gb HDD (Windows)
• 60 Gb HDD (Programs)
• 80 Gb HDD (Games)

System 2: Media Center for playing music, video, recording TV, MAME and some games
• Sempron 2300+
• 512 Mb Crucial RAM
• Leadtek GeForce ti4200 128Mb VIVO
• Fortissimo 2
• DVD-R/RW
• 40 Gb HDD (Windows)
• 120 Gb HDD (Media)
• Windows Media Remote Control
• Logitech Wireless Keyboard / Mouse

System 3: for recording music
• Athlon XP 2000+
• 1 Gb Crucial RAM
• MicroMeek Pre Amp (+ phantom power)
• Creative Audigy
• ATI Radeon Graphics (dual monitors)
• CDRW
• 20 Gb HDD (Windows)
• 120 Gb HDD (Storage)

System 4: file server
• Pentium III 650
• 384 Mb RAM
• 20 Gb HDD (Windows)
• 160 Gb HDD (Storage)

System 5: for web browsing, e-mail, word processing
• Pentium III 450
• 512 Mb RAM
• 32 Gb HDD

All getting a bit old now. I think I'll wait a while and pick up something decently fast to replace 1 when prices have dropped a bit and games are more demanding. The other machines will benefit from a trickle down of leftover bits and pieces.

sabian

Ok, I think I found the answer to my intel connundrum...

Athlon 64 BIT 4400 + DUAL CORE Socket 939
1GB DDR Ram PC3200
256MB HDTV RADEON X700 PCI EXPRESS 16X
300GB SATA Serial ATA 150
16X DUAL LAYER Multiformat DVD Writer +/-
19" TFT Monitor

A snip at £995... A mere £300 more than the Intel one! [Big Grin]

--------------------

not...
Misc, That is amazing - 5 separate machines!

[ 10.10.2005, 10:42: Message edited by: I am not... ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I am not...:

...in a one bedroom flat.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Crowded house..

I thought we were bad, I don't know all the specs but we're running 7

At least we have a 3 floor house

[ 10.10.2005, 10:56: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

Keef
That, was liquid chate
 - posted      Profile for Keef           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
quote:
Originally posted by I am not...:

...in a one bedroom flat.
I bet you don't need central heating.

As for me,

Homer (main system)
AMD64 2.0GHz
1Gb DDR2 RAM
256Mb NVidia with TV out
190Gb SATA (50Gb windows, 140Gb Storage)
40Gb IDE (Storage)
DVD writer + DVD reader
SB Extigy
Removable USB2 8in1 card reader
IR link and a few other gadgets

Marge (Storage/downloads)
AMD 1.0GHz
512Mb
64Mb NVidia
10Gb (windows)
110Gb (Storage)
40Gb (Storage)
DVD writer + CD reader
Canon IP5000

Grandpa (Laptop)
Dell Inspiron 8500
Intel 1.6GHz
512Mb
64Mb NVidia portable
60Gb (10Gb windows, 50Gb storage)
DVD reader/CD writer combo.

At least until 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago, Grandpa was in the boot of Mrs Keef's shiny new car when she had a blow out. A quick pirouette(sp?) down the M27 later and the back end of the car was about 1m shorter than it was before, thanks to the barrier by the hard shoulder. Thankfully Mrs Keef walked away unscathed but Grandpa wasn't so lucky. So, in a couple of weeks the insurance will have paid up and I expect the new incarnation of Grandpa (perhaps I shall call him 'Snake') to be a much more sprightly affair.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Dell Dimension 5000
  • Intel P4 3.2Ghz
  • 1Gb RAM
  • 128Mb Radeon X300
  • Maxtor 160Gb HDD
  • 16X DUAL LAYER DVD Writer +/-RW
  • 17" Dell TFT

Oh and Keef, it has to be Apu dude!

[ 11.10.2005, 05:59: Message edited by: Physic ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dell 8300
P4 2.8 GHz
1GB RAM
256GB ASUS 6800GT
80GB Hard Drive

on a widescreen Toshiba LCD TV

It's quite a nice machine; still handles games pretty well: coped with the demos of F.E.A.R. and Call of Duty 2. I'm not looking at replacing it for at least a year, but I may put another gig of ram in there.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xenia Primary Workhorse - Comms/design/work
Dell Dimension 8200
2.0Ghz Pentium P4 533 FSB
512MB DDRAM
19" CRT
2 x 40Gb HD 9200
CD burner and DVD/CD Player
128Mb Nvidia Graphics Card
Creative Audigy External Sound Card
Cambridge Audio 5.1 Surround Analogue Speakers

Domino Storage/Torrent/MP3/Unreal Tournament host system

Dell Dimension 4550
2.0Ghz Pentium 4
1 Gig Memory (can't recall type)
17" CRT
1 x 60 GB 9200
1 x 250 GB 9200
128 MB Nvidia Card
DVD Burner (LG)
CD Burner
Soundblaster Value card and Harman Cardon Speakers

Tatiana Laptop

Dell Inspiron 8200
1.7 Ghz Pentium P4
512 MB Memory
15" TFT Screen
20GB Harddrive
CD/DVD reader combo drive
Dual Battery
Wireless 802.11G Card

Natalya Pocket PC

Dell Axim X5
Intel PXA255
64MB Memory
Wiresless 802.11G Card (Cisco)
Holec GPRS-CF Type
1 Gig Secure Digital Card
1 Gig CF Card (Available)

Network runs on Linksys 802.11G Wireless router/ADSL Modem/Ethernet Switch

May expand to include another Cheap system for merchandising handling to run in my box room downstairs.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good look with the hosting! Ringers and I both got to the same point before it went tits up.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WORK
HP COMPAQ DX200 P4 2.8Ghz
760MB RAM
40GB HDD + 80GB External Western Digital
CD-RW + External Justlink DVD+R, CD-RW
Samsung 17"
Shite onboard intel graphics shite shite shite

HOME
P4 1.4Ghz
380MB RAM
120GB HDD
ATI 9800 Radeon
The worst dial up connection outside of the amazon

All in all nothing to write home about but maybe one day I'll scrounge together enough cash for an upgrade here and there for the home PC.

--------------------
supa scrub

mimolette
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for mimolette           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David
Commodore 64
12-inch B&W *portable* TV
Tape deck
Joystick

William
Casio FX-82

Francis
Francis is just my dog

--------------------
Paul is dead

not...
sweet
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Cool, if we're going old school I do have Commodore plus 4 with 64k ram and 121 colours..

--------------------

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by squeegy:
The worst dial up connection outside of the amazon

How bad could it be? The best I can do in my 'hood is a 32k connection. Beat that.

[ 11.10.2005, 07:58: Message edited by: ralph ]

squeegy
'small african childe'

Thats afterhours if I'm lucky. I don't even bother using it anymore it's so terrible.

--------------------
supa scrub

ralph

quote:

Thats afterhours if I'm lucky. I don't even bother using it anymore it's so terrible.

Dude. I'm sorry. I had no idea. Is there no broadband available in your area whatsoever? I had a T1 run to my house when I worked there, as it was the only broadband option available. $450.00 a month! [Mad]
MiscellaneousFiles

RETRO

BBC Micro Model B + sanyo tape player

Acorn A3010 (upgraded to 2 MB RAM)

WORK

Dell Dimension 8300
• P4 2.6 Ghz
• 4 GB RAM

Every time my work PC started acting slow (mainly whilst designing catalogues in InDesign) I badgered for more memory. I started with 512, which was doubled to 1 GB, then 2 GB and now finally 4 GB. I don't think it can be upgraded any further, so I guess I'll have to start badgering for a new machine soon.

[ 11.10.2005, 08:13: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 8300 can take 4GB of RAM? Fucking A! Where's my credit card?
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
The 8300 can take 4GB of RAM? Fucking A! Where's my credit card?

I can tell you it's got four slots, and apparently you need matching pairs of RAM. I don't know much more than that I'm afraid - I've only got AMDs at home and our work techie fitted up the Pentium 4 for me.

It happily runs Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Flash at the same time now - each with plenty of large files open.

[Cool]

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure most modern boards will happily take 4x1gb dimms. I know mine can and that's about a year and a half old.
squeegy
'small african childe'
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Dude. I'm sorry. I had no idea. Is there no broadband available in your area whatsoever? I had a T1 run to my house when I worked there, as it was the only broadband option available. $450.00 a month! [Mad]

I see your [Mad] and raise you a [Eek!] . We have a dedicated line at work. 64kbps at the equivalent of £250 a month. [Eek!] [Mad]

--------------------
supa scrub

ralph

quote:
I see your [Mad] and raise you a [Eek!] . We have a dedicated line at work. 64kbps at the equivalent of £250 a month. [Eek!] [Mad]

But you're not paying for it, are you? ARE YOU? My [Mad] totally beats your [Eek!] .
jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My laptop:

AMD 64 3000
512 RAM, That I considered upgrading to 1 gig but in the end decided to curtail my spending instead, hl2 / far cry run fine anyway.
Mobility M10.
Build in card read / infrared etc.
15"

And now I'm using my 6230 to get on the net here, its 25 euros a month for 9 gig of bandwidth after 5 and weekends, which isnt too bad. Just bluetooth is limited to 115,000 and id really rather like to be taking advantage of the egprs, but that cost me about 25 quid for a nokia cable, unless the ebay search i am about to perform tells me otherwise!

I wish i could ahve joined in the unreal torney [Frown]

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 15.10.2005, 05:05: Message edited by: Bamba ]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+