Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » Headphones

Author Topic: Headphones
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought a few days ago that iPod no 3 had died - well it was still working but just started sounding absolutely gutless, you could only use it at full volume to hear anything - anyway beers last night with his Dazness, and a quick swap of phones discovers the unit is alright thankfully, just the phones have blown (strangely both cones at the same time?) - this is the second pair of crappy iPod phones to go (the first pair lasted a week)

So I'm after some new headphones - I've borrowed the ones of my Perstel DAB which sound quite lovely but I am sure I can buy some better. Drunken conversations last night mentioned some Mahogany thingies which I hope Darryn will post up here. Anyway I am kind of drawn to some Sennheiser MX550's (but I cant see the difference between these and the 450's) but I also am considering going for proper cups, and these AKG's are supposed to be outstanding.

Any advice? Any recommendations I might have missed?

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grados - The SR60'S are the ones I want for the Ipod, though if I had a choice I'd go for the RS1's.

SR60's are about 70 quid which is fine for a pair of headphones you'll still be using in 10 or 20 years.

I can't justify buying the RS1's though, despite being beautiful and sounding heavenly I just don't have 565 quid to splash out on some cans.

The Sennheiser MX500's are often said to be the best cheap phones for the Ipod and at 15 quid you can't argue. I reckon that's probably because the MX500 comes in white

[ 13.01.2006, 05:27: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got these at the moment Headphones , and although the sound is reasonable - lacks a bit in the bass dept - the cord is too long and often snags as you move around.
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno what these are like, but I read about them on the register the other day and they are cheap as chips. Also thay have the coolest name. Griffin Earthumps
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While on the subject of Griffin, this is the dock I've pre-ordered I was telling you about last night:

Tune Center

The case I was talking about:

Showcase

And the volume delimiter:

Imod

[ 13.01.2006, 05:51: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

schism
Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes ?
 - posted      Profile for schism           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I binned my Ipod phones as soon as I bought it because they’re shit. I pity anybody who spends £200 + on a walkman and then listens to it through that tat, and there are many of them. then again I'm a self confessed audiophile and I hate being able to hear outside noise when I'm listening to music.

I originally got the Sony Fontopia phones with the black wires and I thought they were the nuts at the time, really good bass on dance and rock music however the build quality is shocking. The cable is also far too long so I got one of these.

Smartwrap

I never put phones in their cases, they get wrapped around and shoved in a pocket so I’ve only myself to blame but within a couple of months the plastic sleeve was coming away and exposing the wires to bothe the left and right ears. Not particularly a health hazard, it just looks bad. Anyhow, problem solved when they were accidentally hoovered up.

I then went for a pair of Sure E2cs...

Sure E2c

...and again I thought I had stumbled across the nuts of all headphones. Not as bassy as the Sony but you get a far greater range of sound. I heard parts of the tracks that I’d never actually heard before. I did have to increase the bass levels on all of my Itunes though as they are a bit light otherwise.

The only downside to them is that the wires are too long again, and the cable is approx 2mm thick so very chunky. They also loop from the back of your haead, over your ears then the bud goes into your ear canal a little more than the fontopia design. And this is where they get the sound insulating quality as you literally cannot here anything but your music, even at relatively low levels of volume. Ideal for the tube, public transport etc. You get used to it very quickly, but some people won’t like them a the driver units sit outside the ear and look a bit bulky.

They’re no good for running with as they still fall out but they are seriously good.

Again these got damaged because I don’t store them away in their little case,. I just wrap around but the cable is too thick on these to use the smartwrap. I dropped the phones in the tube and someone trod on the earpice.

I can’t say I was a massive fan of the behind the head over the ear fit but the sound was excellent so I looked into upgrading to the next ones up in the sure range as they are smaller but they still fit that way so I did a bit more research.

I’m currently passing the tube commute / nightly runs with these...
Etymotic Research ER6i

And they are by far the best out of all the phones. You’ve got to be prepared to get them right down into your ear which some won’t like but it soesn’t bother me.

Sound is amazing and I’ve had to reset everything to normal again as you really don’t need to adjust, again you get a full range of sound in the tracks that you just don’t get with ear buds and you can hear nothing else but your tunes at fairly low volumes. Brilliant for when Jonny Rah-Rah and his mates are having a Rah-Rah chat about RAH at full volume on the tube. I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

They do require a bit on ongoing investment, replacement flanges and filters so they're not the cheapest option but they really are worth it.

This place is quite handy, especially for spares accesories if you do decide to go for it.

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/

Anyway. I’d get these again. Only problem is the white sleeve… I’m not a great fan of having my cable in white just so everyone knows I’ve got an Ipod. The ER6’s come in black but the ER6i have better sound, apparently.

hope this helps.

--------------------
When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

not...
Looking for some closed ear phone in the under £50 price bracket that don't look totally gay.

Don't mind bulky, don't like futuristic. used primarily for plugging into computer and listening to mp3's/AAC's through itunes. May be tempted to travel with them but doubtful unless they actually look okish.

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went mental and bought some audiotechnica headphones for 75 quid in japan because they lookedp pretty. WIsh id got some fuckign black ones tho, white ones are lame. Still, they sound, er, ok .I dont thin kthe ysound worth 765 quid, but i have shit ears.

hi!

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also much preferred the sony in ears to the stupid fuckign shure things that I found to be pretty much utter gumf, and a disappoint ment after spending 50 quid on the fuckers. bsatards.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it drunk time in japan then, jhonj?

i find it really uncomfortable to wear in-ear ones, they seem to cause pain and be prone to falling out a lot. I think I have little ear'oles to go with my little feet.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have keyboards with hundreds of little symbols on in Japan, and john has to match them up. But that's not before he plays janken to be allowed back into his house.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
i find it really uncomfortable to wear in-ear ones, they seem to cause pain and be prone to falling out a lot.

The other problem with in-ear ones is when friends ask you to listen to the 'unbelievable tune' that they're currently experiencing, then having to insert the wax-infested earpiece into your lovely, clean ear. *shudder*

Usually happens on long coach trips. On many occasions.

ExtensionsOff
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ExtensionsOff           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's ipod 'phones packed up last week so she got these Sennheiser CX300 from Amazon for £21.95. They. Are. Fucking. Amazing. I've never heard her ipod or my iriver sound so good even through pricier full enclosure headphones. Definitely on my Xmas wishlist.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A just got headphones that are pretty rockin'. They're earbuds, but they don't fall out. They are another type of Sennheiser .

They're nifty b/c they twist in and dont fall out. Good for those of us with ears not meant for earbuds.

edit; A just told me that they kinda hurt once you take them out, but he still likes them.

[ 25.11.2006, 13:48: Message edited by: Amy ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
I have those headphones Amy and think they're great, Waynster had them and hated them..

As sson as I can find somewhere in Holland selling them I'm getting a set of Grados, cheap ones to start say SR-60's or 80's but if they're good I'll go for a better pair, though top of the range Grado's cost about 1000 Euros.

[ 25.11.2006, 15:32: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

not...
Well I'm gonna go for some of these for public journeys.

-
amazon linkage

Seem to have a good set of decent reviews - pretty good price at £20.99 especially considering on the Apple website they are £39.95 >>

Still looking for some closed ear muffler types for work. Too much choice to really narrow it down at the moment.

[ 27.11.2006, 11:32: Message edited by: not... ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a review for those headphones, Not...

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikee are you trying to infiltrate the Amazon reviewer's league or something?
not...
lol

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+