email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » This is driving me mad

Author Topic: This is driving me mad
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right, I can't get my head around this. I've got to build a quiz, where you select either A B C or D for five rounds, with the outcome being that you're an A person or a B person etc. Like those internet quizzes. But how do I get around the problem of somebody going AABBC or CCBBA or any combination where there isn't a clear 'winner'? Anybody designed one of those quizzes before?
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like these ?

http://themoononline.com/index.php?id=5,13,0,0,1,0

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How ethical is this quiz - are you fueling neurosis or fluffing wilted vanities?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly like that, but with only 4 choices per question, and 5 questions overall.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
How ethical is this quiz - are you fueling neurosis or fluffing wilted vanities?

just wasting valuble time doing a pointless quiz.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take the source code from those quizzes and adapt it down to what you need, the code is really easy, just trim it down to five questions with 4 answers, enter the fields to fill in what you want the answers and outcome to be and it's all finished..

Nice easy bit of code.

Right click and view source, you can see teh answers and shizzle once you cut it and paste it to notepad..

[ 09.11.2006, 06:52: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Benway's nuts are trying to deal with the mathematics of it - if someone answers two As, one B and two Ds, are they more A or more D?

The only thing I can think of, Jimmy, is to somehow have that one B in the above example to swing it (like your big nuts) one way or the other towards A or D.

Cactus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Cactus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about something like A is the most conservative answer, B a bit less so, C heading towards the wild side of things and D is the most extreme answer.

Every A is worth 0 points, every B is 1 point, every C 2 points and every D is worth (can you guess?) 3 points.

Add them all up, and at the end if the person has 0-3 they are A, 4-7 they are B, 8-11 they are C and 12-15 they are D?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
I think Benway's nuts are trying to deal with the mathematics of it - if someone answers two As, one B and two Ds, are they more A or more D?

The only thing I can think of, Jimmy, is to somehow have that one B in the above example to swing it (like your big nuts) one way or the other towards A or D.

yeah... but that's sort of impossible if A B C and D are distinct rather than part of a progression. The only thing I can come up with is to have a 'tie break' question that then shows only questions that force a preference. So, in your example mart, have a sixth question with only A D questions visible. Trying to work out the logic needed to calculate which questions to display is making my head tingle.

something like (if A > 2,(if A = B, then show questions A + B, else(if A=C, then show questions A+C), else (if A=D, then show questions A+D)) (if B>2,(if B=C, then show....

etc

which is straight forward enough, although I'm not really qualified to write such a question.

Anyway, sorry, I'm just clutching at straws here. Cactus, thanks. I need to find out from the scriptwriter if they could be degrees of a single thing rather than unique outcomes.

[ 09.11.2006, 07:23: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you

a) clutching at straws
b) going for lunch at pizza express
c) hungover
d) wearing girly shoes

If mostly a), you are a careful money-planner who knows when to save and when to treat yourself. However, be careful and don't go crazy when the sales come in January!
Top tip: Throw all your towels away and grow a tattoo.

If mostly b), you are the sort of person who looks for a strong partner in a relationship, one you can rely on and depend upon to help you make those tough decisions. But make sure you are able to face life on your own - an emotional crutch can be a dangerous thing.
Top tip: Try smoking a pipe the wrong way round, and avoid walking on the cracks in the pavement.

If mostly c), your garden says a lot about you. The excessive water features and attention to tiny details means that you are the kind of person who finds it hard to see the bigger picture. Try planting some stout arbustum shrubs around the pond and consider a gravel pathway covered with cane and vines through to the kitchen garden area.
Top tip: Try sprinkling heroin on your breakfast cereal - but never eat Shredded Wheat.

If mostly d), you're the kind of girl who says "yes" to personal pleasure, and don't have a problem whipping out the bunny when it's time for some below-the-waist comfort. But don't get too familiar with your toy - it may buzz like a good'un, but will it pay the bills?
Top tip: Take a trip on the Orient Express. At night, pull the emergency stop cable, then alight from the train and hide in the bushes. Take an umbrella in case it's raining, and steer clear of main roads and farmhouses.

[ 09.11.2006, 07:41: Message edited by: mart ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just have them all come up with the same answer Bugwats.

-

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lolmart

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
horoscopes. nice.

I cry at sunsets and when watching reruns of the Golden Girls

[ 09.11.2006, 11:55: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+