TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » Google Wave (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Google Wave
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I've ever really found myself getting that frustrated by the processes involved in sending emails or using IM. I'm not saying these things aren't subject to improvements, but I've seen a lot of novel email systems come and go here at the university which aim to be collaboratively focused and they're almost entirely rubbish because they either sacrifice compatibility with other email systems, or hide a standard email system behind a fancy UI
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
fuck it, I'm going to get a can of macaroni cheese.

If it's Heinz, it's fucking awesome if as above slightly less crunchy than home made.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heinz. Very weird taste.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
i would trade a google wave invite for a pieminister pie, cherry.

Me and bro are heading to Mum's place in Devon tonight - he from London and I from Bristol. He works right by Borough Market so he's under instruction to bring some yummy pieness down with him.

They're all over the place in Bristol now, many of the local pubs have got them on their menus. Don't know if that's just a local thing though since they're based here.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
proof
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
In fact, it directly addresses many of the totally infuriating things about all of those applications.

Seriously? It gets rid of emails from magazine sales reps, suppliers, and your own bosses?
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it replace every incoming email from your suppliers with a message saying "No problem - that will be with on time, exactly to your specifications?"
Thorn Davis

And remember to do things you may have forgotten? These are the only email related things that really infuriate me.
Thorn Davis

I wish these tech geniuses would dedicate more time to things which save you having to do work rather than coming up with newer, slicker ways for people to give you work to do.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought I'd say this but I think Thorn is going to turn into one of those grumpy old men who mocks his grandkids about their MP3 player skin implants saying 'what's all that fiddly 'technology' about?. In my day, we had Google Wave and a solution for container file formats and we were happy with our lot. *folds arms*

--------------------

Thorn Davis

That wasn't a comment anti-tehcnology it was a comment anti-work. Or is that sacrosanct, too? Are Dang and Benway going to turn around to me with fixed, dead-eyed grins and say "Why do you hate work Thorn? Work helps us achieve our full potential. Work is why we are happy. Companies give us work because they love us."?
New Way Of Decay

Mmmm, delicious work.

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
"Work helps us achieve our full potential. Work is why we are happy."

This reminds me that the other day I was thinking about how lots of things have to be made - like landmines and guns for example - and who actually makes them. I mean, who turns up at work each day and assembles landmines?

And then I thought, at some point someone must have actually made that infamous Arbeit Macht Frei sign. I imagine it was a local Polish blacksmith or something, and a Mercedes pulled up one morning and a German geezer got out and said, "You the blacksmith? Splendid, splendid. Right, yeah, what it is, we'd like to order a big sign saying, 'Arbeit Macht Frei' - I've written that down here look - and we've gone for a kind of wavy hump design in the middle, like this sketch. Cool, eh? Yeah, that was Karlheinz's idea. Can you have that done by Tuesday lunchtime, do you think?"

I wonder what other people do jobs which are blandly murderous, or mundanely associated with horror and genocide, and then they get the bus home and have their tea and watch a nice comedy panel game or something.

dang65
it's all the rage
I'm still having no luck with the Wave sign up. Frustratingly found an offer of an invitation from a user on another forum which I'd forgotten to check and missed the boat. Still, something might crop up.

It does occur to me that this could be an awesome app for collaborative writing. I'd seriously like to try this with someone once we all start getting access.

Kanye West
TMO Member
yeah, it's pretty good.
dang65
it's all the rage
[Mad]
Kanye West
TMO Member
[Cool]
dang65
it's all the rage
Oh, and that link in your signature points to

http://hhttp//finsbury.posterous.com//

instead of

http://finsbury.posterous.com/

Kanye West
TMO Member
nah it don't
dang65
it's all the rage
Well, it would be more interesting if it did. [Razz]
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
This reminds me that the other day I was thinking about how lots of things have to be made - like landmines and guns for example - and who actually makes them. I mean, who turns up at work each day and assembles landmines?

I wonder what other people do jobs which are blandly murderous, or mundanely associated with horror and genocide, and then they get the bus home and have their tea and watch a nice comedy panel game or something.

i used to work in a factory where they assembled components for missiles systems, and can tell you that the answer to the question 'who are these people who assemble instruments of maiming and death?' is, ime, very smiley, pudding- plump middle- aged asian ladies from penge. the only nice thing about working there was that every friday afternoon, when the salaried staff had fucked off on POETS day, the components ladies would crank up the tunes, and i would at least get to listen to some asha bhosle as i went about filing the paperwork relating to the manufacture of instruments of maiming and death. after that i would go into town and spend an entire weeks wages on cocktails and marlboro and fall over in a puddle, but i imagine they probably went home and had their tea and watched who wants to be a millionaire.

[ 07.10.2009, 11:05: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

dang65
it's all the rage
I definitely sounds like there's plenty of material for a R4 sitcom there.
dang65
it's all the rage
^t
dang65
it's all the rage
So, anyway, several weeks later I now have access to Google Wave. iamdang65 at gm ail.com
Kanye West
TMO Member
ah you motherfucker. I still haven't got in.
New Way Of Decay

What email address?

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
I know it's all a bit last month now, but I've got a couple of spare Wave invitations, if anyone wants adding (first two replies to email iamdang6 5@g ooglemai l.c om). I think it takes up to a week for Google to confirm, but sometimes less.
Kanye West
TMO Member
it's good isn't it, google wave. I'm a bit of a google-fan I think. I use android, chrome, gmail, and now a bit of wave. And youtube obviously. And google itself. and google news! Man.

[ 25.11.2009, 09:24: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use google, chromium, google news. I've been thinking about trying to install the google OS but I'm not sure if I can be bothered as it looks a bit pointless.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I just a thing about google chrome os for work.

I also have wave invites, btw.

Kanye West
TMO Member
I can't really see the benefit of using chrome os right now. Especially because you can only run it in a virtual machine or something.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still waiting for my Google Wave invite. Hmpf. I heart Google, I really do, but getting a Wave account is taking ages.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have invites.
Email miscellaneousfiles (a) gmail • com

dang65
it's all the rage
It sound like invitations are flooding out now. I offered on another forum as well as this one yesterday and got one response in total. And I can't think of anyone else that might want one. And they just sent me 16 more. I wonder whether anyone is actually using it for anything useful yet, or just mucking about a bit and then leaving it. I still love it myself, can see loads of advantages, but haven't actually used it for more than a couple of live conversations.
Kanye West
TMO Member
The correct thing to say when asked about Wave is:

"I'm more interested in the possibilities offered by the protocol than I am in the implementation found on the google wave website"

hope that helps

[ 26.11.2009, 09:04: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+