TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » Blue screen of death

Author Topic: Blue screen of death
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any help or advice or tips on solving the old blue screen of death problem, which I got for the first time last night, out of the blue (heh), and then several times today? I've tried:

• Switching on and off several times.
  • Unclogging all the dust and shit from the fan exhaust (CPU temp in BIOS around 38ºC -- dunno if that's hot or not).
  • I was going to play around with my RAM (switch 'em round, take one out, take the other out, etc.), but haven't bothered yet.
  • Doing a registry clean-up thing with RegCure.

No joy as yet.

BSOD messages are always IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and then it quotes usbehci.sys or bugcode_usb_driver as the problem (there was one other, but I didn't write it down).

Any suggestions welcome. Am typing this on backup computer. Would a complete reformat help? Or is this a hardware problem?

I hope Cherry can help me out here, he seems to be the go-to guy for computer problems.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be a driver issue. Have you installed anything recently?

tap F8 after the POST screen to go into safe mode and see if it will boot up. If it does, then it's a duff driver, most likely USB related (obviously)

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chris -- booting in safe mode and a system restore to a couple of days ago seems to have done the trick. God knows what caused it. I hadn't installed any new hardware that I can remember, though the drivers for my USB audio interface nearly always need to be reinstalled whenever I unplug it and plug it back in again.

That said, am thinking a big backup external hard drive and a complete reformat is a good thing to do occasionally, isn't it. Or is that overkill.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's worth doing if you have the time. If you maintain your system well then there shouldn't be any need to do it more than about once or twice a year, but if you're finding you're getting random errors, then that's probably the cause. The only trouble with doing that as a fix is that it doesn't identify the cause of the problem, so you're at the mercy of it happening again.

But I think probably a driver file has become corrupt or something along those lines. Nothing too serious.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like your Model M keyboard has given your computer a IBM-compatible virus.

[Frown]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+