Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Writers! Do You Want A Free Book

Author Topic: Writers! Do You Want A Free Book
kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a spare brand new copy of From Pitch To Publication by Carole Blake of Blake Friedmann agency.

I found this less useful than two other books that I am also happy to recommend but not provide to you -- Noah Lukeman's The First Five Pages for editing your own prose, and Blythe Camenson's Your Novel Proposal, From Creation to Contract, for preparing a synopsis, query letter and sample package to send out.

But this Amazon recommendation, from a supposedly published author, may sway you.

quote:

While reading “From Pitch to Publication” I felt as if my best friend opened for me her treasure box. She let her hand slide through the precious stones and gold coins, picking up the occasional diamond, holding it against the sunlight, allowing me to catch a glimpse of its multifaceted beauty. She even let me try on some of the cherished necklaces, depicting continued publishing triumph at its best.

I will be able to post this book out on Tues so let me know if you would like it, and if there's more than one bid I shall let you duke it out.

--------------------
member #28

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
She even let me try on some of the cherished necklaces, depicting continued publishing triumph at its best.

This may be the finest sentence yet written; held up to the light it reveals its many enchanting facets and the evidence of whole minutes of cunning workmanship.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried reading these sort of books and they are so depressing. I mean, they're practical and sensible and professional, but fuck do they put you off writing.

"Don't write your first novel in the first person. Everyone does this and they just look like complete amateurs and no one will ever read their book." Well thanks, I'll just throw this manuscript in the bin then shall I? Despite it competely relying on being in the first person to make any sense at all.

"Don't expect to ever make any money from writing. This never happens to anyone and you just look silly even thinking you could make a penny from your crap book." Oh, ta very much, so I might as well kill myself right now then? Oh, that's in Chapter 12. Thanks.

"Most people can't write anyway, although everyone thinks they can. In this chapter we'll go over some excuses for family and friends who you've told that you're writing a book (*snigger* sorry). I'll include 'There were so many publishers fighting over my manuscript that I decided to burn it and become a hermit', and 'Did I say I was writing a book? Heh heh, you must be thinking of someone else mate. Another beer?' along with some more complex alternatives. Failing that, please go straight to Chapter 12.

Louise
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Louise           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
While reading “From Pitch to Publication” I felt as if my best friend opened for me her treasure box.

*Must... not... snigger...*

[ 24.05.2004, 08:25: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Because fat guys always win at see-saw

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
II don't want your book kovacs, but I would like you to list me your top three "clever critic of graphic novel" books for me please, as I am doing them for a module next year. Also is the communist superman gfnovel good, it was in the Guardian so I'm assuming it must be?

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has Michael Crichton or John Grisham ever written one of these books..?

--------------------
sweet

jnhoj
TMO Member
You know, I really hate what I write on internet forums.

--------------------

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jnhoj:
II don't want your book kovacs, but I would like you to list me your top three "clever critic of graphic novel" books for me please, as I am doing them for a module next year. Also is the communist superman gfnovel good, it was in the Guardian so I'm assuming it must be?

I don't know Jnho abot the Communist one, because I haven't read it: I looked at it in a shop and it didn't seem very clever really. Klark Kent works for the Daily Pravda, oh no it's the KGBatman, will he be a foe or a komrade against capitalist villain Lex Luthor, &c &c.

Clever books on comics include:

my book on Batman (I flatter myself but could hardly not mention it)
Geoff Klock, How to Read Superhero Comics (Thorn-endorsed)
Scott Bukatman, Matters of Gravity (not just about comics, also covers cyberpunk, morphing, theme parks etc)
Roger Sabin, Comics, Comix and Graphic Novels (a coffee table book but still decent)

Many books on comics are histories or studies of the Comics Code period (1950s) and associated censorship, or big bland volumes of nostalgia with pictures.

--------------------
member #28

Bamba

- posted      Profile for Bamba           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we talking about "Red Son" here as I read that quite recently? It was entertaining enough but not great in any way although I'm pretty sure it was stuffed with political metaphor that went sailing straight over my head (i.e. I'm too dumb to have fully 'got' it assuming there was anything there to get).
Bamba

quote:
Originally posted by Bamba:
Are we talking about "Red Son" here as I read that quite recently? It was entertaining enough but not great in any way although I'm pretty sure it was stuffed with political metaphor that went sailing straight over my head (i.e. I'm too dumb to have fully 'got' it assuming there was anything there to get).

Ha! Ph34r my 1n-d3p7h cr171c15m!
Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I especially liked the way you thoughtfully explained the meaning of the phrase "sailed right over my head". For, you know, people who don't speak English as a first language.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:
you know, people who don't speak English as a first language.

Racist.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's completely untrue! Some of my best friends are Armenian.
Bamba

quote:
Originally posted by Astromariner:
Yes. I especially liked the way you thoughtfully explained the meaning of the phrase "sailed right over my head". For, you know, people who don't speak English as a first language.

That's not what it was for, the explanation was for stupid people. The fact that you picked up on it means it was time well spent.
jnhoj
TMO Member
kovacs, i just realised you are on my suggested reading list (we are doing English Authors rather than american, so don't take offence you're only suggested), elite. maybe our library does have you in store then. ah we do, but someone already as "you" out. how bizarre. I don't want to buy any books but it looks like I might have to. sucks.

Someone has quite clearly been and raided the very small selection of books from the library for the summer before I had the chance to, this is dreadful news.

[ 31.05.2004, 08:43: Message edited by: jnhoj ]

--------------------

jnhoj
TMO Member
so er. how much for an essay reading service.

cough.

;D

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor Lol at kovacs the American author.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

jnhoj
TMO Member
hm i meant we'll only study authors of comics, who are english and not american. thanks anyway!

[ 31.05.2004, 10:41: Message edited by: jnhoj ]

--------------------

jnhoj
TMO Member
hold on, I didn't think...is batman by an american or english. confused. and cost of reading list for this course; around £150! Hmmrgrmg.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+