Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Films children should see by 10

Author Topic: Films children should see by 10
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this interesting snippet at the Beeb's website:

Children get must-see movie list

Included in the list, no less is Fucking Åmål (though of course for the Beeb, under its more auntie-friendly monicker of Show Me Love. Controversial choice, seeing it up against things like ET and The Wizard of Oz, and this list was compiled by the British Film Institute, which also I find odd as Fucking Åmål never had a UK release.

What films do you think under 14's should see?

Prompting Films:

All the James Bond films. Will have the youth of today speaking properly, fine table manners, how to play baccarat and the way ladies like to be treated [Smile]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone should have got to see Flight Of The Navigator, for spack fest nasal voiced whining adventure.

It was the sort of film you went to see on a hot afternoon when your parents would let your older sibling look after you and you'd drink far too much Tizer and be like an amphetamine freak until your dad shouted to 'keep it down about sodding Flight Navigator' and you'd have to lie down because your older brother would punch you in the stomach because he was being the space ship going all pshhhhoooom.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Requiem For A Dream. To sort out the drugs problem.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caged Heat II. To sort out the crime problem.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glengary Glen Ross, to sort out the 'hope for the future' problem.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The After Day Tomorrow, so they care about the environment.

That, and play them 'Earth Song'

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
....and play them 'Earth Song'

Now that's just wrong.

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Electric Dreams - make the little buggers believe computers are alive.

The Hills Have Eyes - That'll stop them talking to strangers and wandering off.

Lassie, and the Bollywood version Mango Lassie

[ 20.07.2005, 10:48: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Lassie, and the Bollywood version Mango Lassie

o lol! Please say this is true.

eta: how silly do I feel after a quick google?

[ 20.07.2005, 10:57: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

schism
Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes ?
 - posted      Profile for schism           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad Leutenant and 25th Hour.

They should keep them quiet for a bit.

[ 21.07.2005, 08:00: Message edited by: schism ]

--------------------
When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anything by m night shyalaman. so that they too can say "wow, that was a total surprise. i never saw that ending".
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doc d:
anything by m night shyalaman. so that they too can say "wow, that was a total surprise. i never saw that ending".

Or The Crying Game for teh same reason.

[ 21.07.2005, 10:27: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Esmeralda
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Esmeralda           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bangkok Hilton
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
I ran all the way home...

[ 21.07.2005, 18:26: Message edited by: mart ]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Masketeers nearly ruptured themselves laughing at the Spongebob Squarepants movie.

-

Especially the Goofy Goober Rock! song.

So, I'd nominate that.

--------------------
sweet

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It's like when you have a song that's been sampled by someone - f'rinstance, The Boys of Summer that DJ Sammy wrecked last year. A whole generation are going to grow up not knowing that that used to be a bloody good song, and it's not until they are forced to go somewhere in the car with their dad who happens to be a Radio 2 listener, that they'll hear the original version and think, "hang on a minute! I know that tune! Wow, how much better is that than that awful drivel that DJ Sammy spouted out". Anyway, it will be the same with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Little kids will think that this is THE Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when it actually isn't.

Other than that, I'd have to go with the Wind in the Willows.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saltrock:
The original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It's like when you have a song that's been sampled by someone - f'rinstance, The Boys of Summer that DJ Sammy wrecked last year. A whole generation are going to grow up not knowing that that used to be a bloody good song, and it's not until they are forced to go somewhere in the car with their dad who happens to be a Radio 2 listener, that they'll hear the original version and think, "hang on a minute! I know that tune! Wow, how much better is that than that awful drivel that DJ Sammy spouted out". Anyway, it will be the same with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Little kids will think that this is THE Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when it actually isn't.

The 'original' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (actually called Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, because the producers wanted to shift focus away from 'uninteresting' Charlie) is pretty much a load of old wank anyway, largely designed to promote a confectionary range in the 70s. Roald Dahl hated it, and rightly so.

Also WTF is up with claiming it as 'THE' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when it's just an adaptation of the book? Just like the new one is. If there's any justice in the world the new film will bury the memory of the first adaptationfor once and for all, consigning to the rubbish bins of film history a movie that's chiefed off the success of its source material for far too long. I've no great desire to see the new movie, but I can't imagine it'll be as wretched as the 1971 version. I wish people would stop assuming that just because something's been around for 35 years, and endlessly repeated until it's burrowed into the national consciousness, that it's actually good.

[ 22.07.2005, 05:48: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your general point Saltrock, but I'm not sure it justifies raising a slightly creepy Gene Wilder film to the status of classic.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
slightly creepy Gene Wilder

Nonce sense. That boat ride is nappy papperingly frightening even when watched in broad daylight. I reckon Mask could have the Masketeers begging to be saved by the gas mask kids, if he played that one scene on A->B repeat for three hours.

--------------------

scrawny
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
largely designed to promote a confectionary range in the 70s...

The whole film was funded in its entirety by Quaker (of Oats fame) for this very reason.

As you were.

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
original Willy Wonka movie is on this Sunday on Channel 5

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I wish people would stop assuming that just because something's been around for 35 years, and endlessly repeated until it's burrowed into the national consciousness, that it's actually good.

Well said. See also: The Italian Job.
OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
slightly creepy Gene Wilder

Nonce sense. That boat ride is nappy papperingly frightening even when watched in broad daylight. I reckon Mask could have the Masketeers begging to be saved by the gas mask kids, if he played that one scene on A->B repeat for three hours.
I should have been clearer, I didn't mean creepy in the intentional sense of a scary film. I meant unintentionally creepy.

In the way that adults, who think they're being childlike and fun, but are actually being oddly inauthentic and sinister could be described as creepy. It's all a bit scary Santa.

If you want to scare kids, you could do worse than Great Expectations. Miss Havisham could still reduce me to a blubbering wreck now, I'm sure.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+