Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Friday Pointless List and Argument-Starting Thread

Author Topic: Friday Pointless List and Argument-Starting Thread
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look!

Interesting?

Nonsense?

What's your Top 10 cultural artefacts?

Music, movies, TV, books, comix, soft-drinks, personages... you name it.

Quide liderrally.

In a list.

Of ten.

Things.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Days of Thunder
2. Dangerous Minds
3. How to be Good (Nick Hornby)
4. Doo-Waa-Diddy-Diddy-Dum-Diddy-Do
5. Quattro
6. Sorry (star. Ronnie Corbett)
7. Generation X (Douglas Coupland)
8. Yellow Submarine
9. Richard And Judy
10 Vanity Fair (William Thackeray)

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'you know, I think I would struggle to name 3 Bob Dylan songs. Um, Blowing in the Wind, Tambourine Man, and that one on that list. I have grown up in a Dylan-free vacuum. Neither of my parents have ever played his stuff in my presence, nor any of my friends' parents, nor
any of my friends. I really don't know anything about him or why he's special in any way. In fact, he's one of those people that gets filed in the same brain-drawer as someone else (Dylan Thomas) and whenever his name's mentioned there's a split second of confusion before my mind-elves pull out the correct file. See also: Thomas Cromwell & Oliver Cromwell.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Brian Cant
  • Notting Hill (the place, not the film, before 1990)
  • Jimi Hendrix

erm...

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

--------------------
sweet

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
D'you know, I think I would struggle to name 3 Bob Dylan songs. Um, Blowing in the Wind, Tambourine Man, and that one on that list. I have grown up in a Dylan-free vacuum.

You not a Guns'n'Roses fan then? He did a great cover of their song Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Some other covers he's done include, All Along The Watchtower (originally by Jimi Hendrix) and This Wheel's On Fire which was originally sung by Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders for the Ab Fab theme tune, and Roxy Music's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall. He also did a tribute to Radiohead's Subterranean Homesick Alien which is often claimed as the first pop video - you know, where he's in a street at the back of the Savoy and has the words on bits of card, been pastiched many times.
discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or alternatively, vogon: have you ever had cystitis? that is what listening to bob dylans voice for more than 60 seconds is like.

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

Tom Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tom Boy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • * High Fidelity (Nick Hornby)
    * Get In The Ring (Guns'n'Roses)
    * Taking magic mushrooms in Gloucestershire
    * Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix)
    * Vox 24 fret Bass guitar
    * Andre (L7)
    * Killing in the name (Rage against the machine) live at glastonbury
    * Being pissed for a week solid in Abersoch (North * Wales)
    * Mountain Bikes
    * Skateboards

[ 05.08.2005, 09:26: Message edited by: Tom Boy ]

--------------------
So bad its good

Tom Boy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by discodamage:
or alternatively, vogon: have you ever had cystitis? that is what listening to bob dylans voice for more than 60 seconds is like.

Sometimes, yes. But he varies so much from performance to performance.

--------------------
So bad its good

Tom Boy
TMO Member
ETA: work syshitslo

[ 05.08.2005, 10:43: Message edited by: Tom Boy ]

--------------------
So bad its good

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) High Fidelity
2) High Fidelity
3) High Fidelity
4) High Fidelity
5) High Fidelity

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Boy:
  • * Being pissed for a week solid in Abersoch (North * Wales)

Technically Abersoch isn't a village in North Wales for the duration of the summer months.

It's the scene of a mass migration of braying inbred public school thickos, who are too addled to have figured out that they should have stayed in Henley if they only wanted to commune with their own kind.

It is to culture what a Panzer tank is to the cultivation of wild flowers.

Unless of course you were pissed with three fisherman and a sheep outside one of the shut-up shops in the winter season.

In which case: as you were.

Tom Boy
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
It's the scene of a mass migration of braying inbred public school thickos, who are too addled to have figured out that they should have stayed in Henley if they only wanted to commune with their own kind.

Well I didn't go to public school, and I have never heard of Henley, though I was there during summer with a girl I went to college with and her boyfriend who are both from around there.

quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
In which case as you were.

*in transit to as I was*

[ 05.08.2005, 10:41: Message edited by: Tom Boy ]

--------------------
So bad its good

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Boy:
[QUOTE]

*in transit to as I was*

Please indicate which of the following statements are true:

* I look a bit like Prince William/Harry
* I sound a bit like Prince William/Harry
* I dress a bit like Prince William/Harry
* I wear deck shoes
* Mummy's letting me borrow the yacht
* Rupert's got this great little cottage
* Okay yah

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncut is really depressing. At times there are a few flashes of good writing and some of the subject matter is good but - let's face it - an 18 month rotation that must always include
  • A seven page retrospective of Scorsese's career occasioned by his latest substandard offering
  • A seven page retrospective of De Niro's career occasioned by his latest substandard offering
  • Fucking anything AT ALL about Ufucking2
  • Seven-page "the crazy truth" exposes of the wild days of some Californian band (Beach Boys, Doors, Chillis etc etc) twenty or thirty years ago
  • "Amusing" Q&A of Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Michael Madsen or someone equally FUCKING OBVIOUS
is going to pall pretty quickly, really.

That said! They've got to 100 issues so some dead old fuckers must be buying it.
[Confused]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any mainstream magazines or newspapers that people still faithfully read these days? I don't mean obscure little indie fanzines, however great they may be, but more the mass-market stuff.

When the likes of Q and Empire first appeared they filled a massive gap in the market and were usually full of witty writing too. Slightly sharper was Vox which has now packed up but was very good for a few years. Uncut had its moments, as did Mojo, but all of these have run out of steam now. As Ben points out, it's so often the same content on rotation.

The NME seems to be the only weekly music paper I think, seeing as there's no Sounds or, I think, Melody Maker. And the NME is relentlessly mercenary, spreading articles over a couple of weeks so that fans of a particular band will be forced to buy two copies.

Is there anything new out there which is as refreshing as Q and Vox once were?

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I hardly read any UK Based magazines any more - their content is either blinkered (so infuriantingly with NME - the last copy I bought made me lose my temper constantly namedropping the fucking Libertines) or just plain stagnant. I tend to rely more now on recommendations from friends and websites like this one. Apart from the Papers, I think the only magazine I buy regularly is Digital Photographer, but certainly nothing of an entertainment genre - there is just nothing inspiring available on general sale.

[ 08.08.2005, 10:10: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+