email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Serenity

Author Topic: Serenity
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody excited about the soon2Breleased movie version of Firefly?
Or are you just rubbish ?
Only you can decide.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the hot prozzie/empath chick in it ? (Morena Baccarin) I'll watch if she is, she's pretty.

[ 29.08.2005, 10:24: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's in it. Quality gusset that.
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
Who am I kidding. They're all quality gusset. Even the one's without gussets to speak of.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the plunge and bought the series DVD on recommendation from the Lithers. It arrived on Saturday morning. I've watched 10 episodes. I'm hot for Nathan Fillion now and surely want to see him in full-on multiplex magnitude.

What's with the strange language they keep on breaking into? Is it a real language (Far Eastern) or is it a Joss-Whedon-madeup language?

ETA: ahah. Apparently it's Chinese.

[ 29.08.2005, 15:16: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Jack Vincennes           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
H1ppychick, the Nathan Fillion thing get better as the series progesses. And if you were a fan of the OC there's also Julie Cooper in one episode... it gets better as it goes along. As for the movie, I'm looking forward to it, as the trailer looks ace and I've only heard good things about it thus far -then again, I have been actively avoiding listgening to bad things about it, so might not be the best judge.
Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
Yep, tis Mandarin.
A friend of mine gave me the series and I have to say I'd watched the lot in one weekend. Jack is right, it gets better as it goes along.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched more episodes: I only have one left [Frown]
It really is extremely addictive. I wonder what will happen if the film gets really good box office? would the series be revived or are key actors committed elsewhere? would they make more movies?

I only realised yesterday that Nathan Fillion is Johnny from Two Guys and a Girl, which I find moderately chucklesome in a wholesome white-toothed noone-ugly-here American way. I already knew he was The Preacher from Buffy season 7.

--------------------

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Jack Vincennes           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
I wonder what will happen if the film gets really good box office? would the series be revived or are key actors committed elsewhere? would they make more movies?

All the cast are engaged for 2 more films if the first does well, and 'wur man' Fillion at least has expressed an interest in doing another series if there's a chance -which means, I suppose, if all three films do well. Haven't read anything by Wheedon on the matter (of more TV Firefly) but since Firefly was the series he made when Fox gave him a completely free rein it'd be nice to think he wouldn't be averse.

As to the Mandarin thing -the actors whinging about having to learn it on the DVD extras is quite entertaining...

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a big Whedon fan, having seen the Serenity trailer and heard nothing but good things about both it and Firefly I finally bought the dvd of Firefly on Saturday, and like VOP can report that I watched the lot over the course of the weekend. Then I just wanted to start it all over again.

Unsurprisingly I’m now positively frothing at the prospect of Serenity.

Apart from the general brilliance of the writing, direction and acting, what impressed me most was the love that runs throughout this series.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Following on from my earlier posts I eventually watched the entire series and the DVD extras, and would have watched the episodes again from the start with the various commentaries (which I rarely bother with), but for the fact I've lent the box set to a friend of mine. I am doing my part for spreading the gospel of Firefly to unbelievers and hopefully increasing the local box office in the process.

--------------------

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came back from Serenity. I hope it doesn't seem "arrogant" to paste in my post from Barbelith: I would write a new one, but it'd just say exactly the same thing.

The short version: I recommend this film bigtime to anyone who likes old-skool Star Wars.

quote:
I've seen one episode of Buffy: that is my knowledge of Joss Whedon. I went to see this film today based on a review that said there was a character who looked like Han Solo in ESB, but would have shot Greedo in cold blood without a qualm. I knew nothing about the space western concept or the original Firefly.

This film kicked ass for me. It does with the Star Wars of 28 years ago what Lucas did with the WW2 films, Westerns and Saturday morning pictures of the 28 years before that: distills it, condenses it, cooks it up, remixes it with other goods (I would say Matrix, Iain M Banks, King's Dark Tower series) and sticks it back to you.

As a total newcomer, the extended where-are-we false-starts, with backstory interrupted by dream sequences and escapes freeze-frozen as holograms, carried no sense of impatience for me, as I didn't know the remaining cast we had yet to meet -- it felt like the history lessons at the start of new chapters in the Ballad of Halo Jones, an elegant way of bringing the viewer up to date.

Very much dug the chemistry between the characters, the raw, slapped-together feel of the hardware and the lived-in sense of space, with the dinosaur models, the faded t-shirts. The Western spin became gradually apparent for me, but it was subtle -- some twang in the accents, and moments where you could hardly understand the homegrown slang -- and the strummy guitar soundtrack alongside shots of "boats" in deep space was entirely original and fresh.

I would go see a trilogy of Serenity movies. Damn I was almost thinking I'd buy action figures of those guys.

--------------------
member #28

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:
I would go see a trilogy of Serenity movies. Damn I was almost thinking I'd buy action figures of those guys.

Pretty much what Firefly made me think, if you replace 'buy action figures' with 'dress up and go to conventions and things'. Glad you posted that here actually, I've been steering away from the B'lith thread because of spoiler fear; it's good to hear that it works well for people who've not seen the series as well.

I'm going to see it tomorrow, so will no doubt be all over both threads with, I hope, actual commentary rather than just gushing...

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
ohhh yes yes yes! I hope you enjoy it Jack, I'm sure that you will.

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not seen Firefly, and know very little about Serenity, but I'm gonna go see it tomorrow - well, this or Land of the Dead. I have a nice window of relaxation that I intend to exploit by hiding away from people and football by going to an air-conned cinema somewhere with a big cup of coke and some nasty snacks. The trailer looks good.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kovacs:

The short version: I recommend this film bigtime to anyone who likes old-skool Star Wars.

[/QUOTE]

your adversary mark kermode says the same!

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

kovacs

ha ha... nice one. But he hates Star Wars, so I don't know whether he'd mean that as grudging praise or condemnation.

--------------------
member #28

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
Enjoyed that a great deal. Which was some relief, because the last time I made an a priori assumption that a film would be awesome, I was going to see Matrix Reloaded, and you can probably guess how that story ended.

I think there might have been some pieces of characterisation that seemed to rely a bit on a kind of shorthand that people who'd seen the TV series would pick up on more -for example, when

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Mal asks them to make Serenity look like a Reaver ship, I think that might have had more impact if you'd seen the way Mal feels about the ship throughout the series. But just having written that now, it was explained rather well in the opposite way in the film -it was clear that he was fairly ambivalent towards River, so it actually meant something that he was prepared both to mess up his ship and go through Reaver territory basically just for her.

Jayne was excellent as well. The more I write about it the more I want to see it again... what did you think Benny (if you chose it over Land Of The Dead)?

[ 09.10.2005, 14:21: Message edited by: Jack Vincennes ]

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I choose to watch this over Wallace and Gromit?
Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
I've not seen Wallace & Gromit so can't compare them (is it out yet, actually?), but if it's at all possible, go and see Serenity. Even if you have to call in sick to see an afternoon showing.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that they may make another season of Serenity now that the movie seems to be so well received ?

Which channel in the UK bought it ? We only got the series on Fox here in NL shown at midnight as and when they felt like it.

I enjoyed the series quite a bit, but that's helped by the fact that I find Morena Baccarin heartstoppingly pretty.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to see it today, and was very happy. As mentioned before, it is how Star Wars should have been - the final conversation (this isn't giving away anything) about love being important for something to work rang true for the film - the actors seemed to love the characters, the story and trust Whedon as a director. It seems to love and respect those things that have gone before it - westerns, samurai and star wars - whereas Lucas seemed to allow his ego to take over and mess up the star wars universe by forgetting the basics (story, action, character) this had them in abundence, and there were no signs of ego on show. There were moments when the whole thing felt small, but never too small. Mal was everything that Han Solo was nearly 30 years ago - plus he brawled, and looked like he'd been in a brawl. I have no prior knowlege of the show, but really really enjoyed the film as a whole - there were only a couple of suprises story wise, but even though it was predictable, it worked perfectly well and I lost myself into it completely. So, I guess I'll be hiring Firefly now. As for a series, well, i hope it does well enough for another film, as the premise is fun and the characters are great.

[ 09.10.2005, 10:55: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Masketeers to see Sky High yesterday, they thought it was okay but would've been better if the superkids had been given supernames on their first day at school, when Coach Boomer checked out their superpowers.

--------------------
sweet

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Which channel in the UK bought it ? We only got the series on Fox here in NL shown at midnight as and when they felt like it.

I don't think it was shown at all in the UK -I've only got terrestrial, but it certainly wasn't on that. I bought the box set on the strength of recommendations from Barbelith and the fact that the box set was £18 in a sale somewhere.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I don't know if there was a first run but they broadcast the entire series last weekend on the Sci-Fi channel as support for the film launch.

Just been to see it for a second time tonight with a couple of friends and found it definitely repeatable.

--------------------

Ringo

Just got back from watching Serenity. Pretty good.
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice comments Mr K, particularly the nod to The Dark Tower.

Although Serenity seemed a time poor relation of the Firefly series, I thought it was a fair translation and development of the themes and central story of the tv show to film, although obviously there are big chucks of backstory story still to be explored.
I also thought that it made some pretty unexpected and brave choices.

Same page as the Dazzler about Morena Baccarin, but was more disappointed to see that Jewel Staite (Kaylee) had gone all skinny and pasty.

I'm hoping that the sequel rumours (the cast are all supposed to be signed up for a trilogy) come to fruition and we get more from this universe soon.

Ko, if you're inspired to get the series, Silver Screen in Lewisham had the boxset for £19.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

kovacs

Maybe I'm a bit of a pirate but I'm afraid I got back from Serenity and immediately started downloading Firefly -- the thought of paying 20 notes for it didn't really come to mind. I should be able to watch the pilot tonight.

I've only read one book of Dark Tower, which I bought in WH Smiths Heathrow for a flight and I think discarded when I got back to London... but that Western jargon did seem the only obvious precedent for Serenity's lingo. Except that Whedon's pitch for Firefly, "Wagon Train to the stars", is precisely the same as Gene Roddenberry's first description of Star Trek. Apparently Whedon didn't realise this, so perhaps he's drawing on some kind of SF mythic unconscious.

--------------------
member #28

Ringo

I wasn't sure if the lingo was more reminiscent of cowboys or pirates, or maybe an amalgamation of the two. It was quite nicely pulled off though, this kind of intergalactic dialect.
kovacs

Pirates, cowboys, ninjas: same thing.

--------------------
member #28

Ringo

And east end gangsters. Don't forget them.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a trailer for Serenity when I was last at the pictures and it looked awful: the self-congratulatory smarts of Buffy: She's A Vampire Slayer plus the wall-eyed nerd crack of computer generated tv sci-fi. Even being exposed to 120 seconds of it felt like standing under a power-shower of gay jism.

All you people are pretty discriminating, though. I'm sure it was very good really.

Ringo

To be honest Ben, I thought the same when i saw the TV trailer. If it wasn't for the various reviews on here I wouldn't have bothered watching it, but I'm glad I did because it was really ok.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+