Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Holiday Book Recommend Extravaganza (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Holiday Book Recommend Extravaganza
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk (read near certainty) of once again being derided for my taste in literature, my recommendations for Thorn would be this which I read years ago and absolutely loved, very funny and easy to relate to as I recall.

Also anything by Robert Rankin, but particularly the Brentford Trilogy or The Fandom Of The Operator.

Good Fairy
We'll be the pirate twins again
 - posted      Profile for Good Fairy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll love you know you want it

--------------------
They weren't all your friends and you dont want to be reunited with them

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Jack Vincennes           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
thorn i think you might like the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay if you havent already read it.

Or Wonder Boys, which is shorter and very, very funny -although my best friend cried when she finished it. However you are unlikely to do that on holiday or, I should imagine, at all.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I cried because of a book was when I found out Ben Elton had written a first world war novel.

Nonetheless, I followed up on Dance Margerita's (and now Jack Vincennes's) suggestion and bought this book on the way home. Reading the blurb it does look a bit Jew-y but JV's username suggests she has taste and, as DM points out, at least it was written by a man so it's not all grim.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorn - it's alright. My (new!) wife got it for me a couple of years ago, it gives a nice feel to the golden age of comics.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Alright's' not a very strong recommendation, though. I don't know. With the state of modern novels being what it is, I reckon I should have just bought a PSP.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whereabouts in Spain are you going, Thorn?
Thorn Davis

Aleurhin El Grande. It's Spanish for Aleurhin is Grand. Possibly. We went there last year and it was well good.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stephen Potter books are good holiday entertainment, this one in particular. They're easy to read, funny and very English, which is nice to grip onto when you're cast adrift among the dagoes.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think this is the one I read last. Very funny. Get them all.

--------------------
sweet

mart
It is likely to mean "Garden of Allah the Great", you will no doubt be fascinated to learn. Maybe you should take the Koran rather than the Bible. Or get the PSP version.
Thorn Davis

Let's face it, though, no-one really enjoys reading. Whenever you're on a train/ coach/ whatever and everyone busts out their novels these days there's at least one person who unsheaths a games console or portable DVD player like a glorious Excalibur, and you can tell everyone stuck with stupid print wishes they were doing that instead. There maybe a few eye-rolls, a few exchanged glances that say "some people eh?" but you just know they'd rather be doing something, anything else. Sure they may tilt the cover of the book to better inform people they're reading Will Self, or some other piece of pretend-intellectualism and they may even have an internal monologue running suggesting to themselves that this is a more noble way to spend time, but really it's just an absolute fucking chore. So often you hear people defending certain books for being 'easy to read', which is fair enough. It's a grim undertaking as it is - you may as well plump for something that makes it as painless as possible.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read 1/3 of a book this year, thanks to my DS.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know, I've apologised for The Magus and all - maybe the break I took in Corfu in 2001 saw me impair my critical faculties through overindulgence in forty-bottles of Maheu beer - I still reckon it's a better book than Cloud Atlas or Vernon God Little or some of the other shite that gets recommended on here.

Anyway. You may or may not like to try WG Sebald: he's kind of a writer/memoirist/historian/poet whose melancholy books on travel, destruction and time are potent and addictive. Widely-praised as it was, The Emmigrants is a bit dense as a starting place - check out The Rings of Saturn or maybe Vertigo instead: at first you might think the thing's a bit formless, but gradually the mood takes hold of you and actually alters the way you experience things as a tourist.

This piece, published shortly before Sebald's death, at 57, in a car crash might whet your appetite.

Alternatively
Happly Like Murderers - by Gordon Burn: pretentious but haunting true-crime account of the Wests and 25 Cromwell St.

The Names - Don DeLillo. Mediterranean-set espionage/secret cult opus that's tangled on plot but big on mood; sort of a DaVinci Code for people who aren't dribbling fuckbags who oughtn't to be taught to read, let alone permitted books.

mart
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
people who aren't dribbling fuckbags

That's beautiful, man.
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 23.05.2006, 07:46: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

mart
For the more genteel reader, I can recommend MIss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson. A middle-aged Cinderalla of the 1930s, with cocaine, snogging and lots of dry sherry.
Black Mask

Anyone got any information on this?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Ooh!

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
'Alright's' not a very strong recommendation, though. I don't know. With the state of modern novels being what it is, I reckon I should have just bought a PSP.

Exactly. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away by it to the point that I'd recommend it to anyone.

--------------------

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sure they may tilt the cover of the book to better inform people they're reading Will Self, or some other piece of pretend-intellectualism and they may even have an internal monologue running suggesting to themselves that this is a more noble way to spend time, but really it's just an absolute fucking chore.

Pwned! As fate would have it I was reading Will Self on a train journey yesterday (Dr Mukti and other tales of woe). It was fairly diverting but way below his career-best of Grey Area and Great Apes.

fwiw, for most of the journey my internal monologue revolved around what might reasonably constitute a casual glance or two at (as opposed to repeated ogling of)the astonishing legs of the statuesque jolie-laide sitting across the aisle from me.

[ 23.05.2006, 10:49: Message edited by: ben ]

Thorn Davis

At the moment I'm reading Martin Amis's The Rachel Papers and hating every word of it. As an experience it's been made even more grisly by the number of people over the last decade who've told me I remind them of main character, Charles Highway, which I now realise was a bitterly crueld (and IMO undeserved) insult.
jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grand theft auto on the psp is really good fun.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I thought Kovacs was the Rachel Papers character?

--------------------

Jack Vincennes
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Jack Vincennes           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Exactly. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away by it to the point that I'd recommend it to anyone.

Did you prefer Carter Beats The Devil? Remember we both read both books at about the same time, I enjoyed Carter more while I was reading it but now that I think about them both I might be more likely to re-read K&C.

[ 24.05.2006, 14:10: Message edited by: Jack Vincennes ]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Yeah, that sounds about right. Carter is good for a one off read, and K&C has some beautiful moments that may lend themselves to the re-read. It was only really the last few chapters that let me down on K&C, they weren't bad, they just led themseleves up an alley that suggested a little more than they delivered.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
thorn i think you might like the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay

Many thanks to Dunce Margerita for the recommendation - I really did enjoy this book and since finishing it I've been recommending it to my friends as though it was something I discovered on my own.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
made even more grisly by the number of people over the last decade who've told me I remind them of main character, Charles Highway, which I now realise was a bitterly crueld (and IMO undeserved) insult.

Or maybe it's just because you look like Dexter Fletcher who played him in the movie along side Ione Skye

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+